:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:55 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:41 pm Thing is, I think I’d still rather have Jeep than a 4R but would rather a Cucktrek than either :lolol: :wrong:
I’d rather have a Jeep for the cool factor I think. But I’d buy an outback over either haha.
I should have bought an Outback Wilderness. The biggest thing that pushed us to the 4R is its ability to tow the boat. Plus the fact that it can go anywhere and run forever.

I actually kind of miss the Cucktrek. It was just a tad small to be an only vehicle for us, the Outback would have been perfect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 am
My 4R is just as capable as my JLs were, and it's vastly superior to live with. Much quieter and more comfortable, tracks straighter without needing constant corrections like the Jeep, the compromises in the Jeep are being made in the name of "heritage", which is a fun novelty, but things improve for a reason. Adapt or die.
Yeah that’s basically where I ended up as well, the 4R although a dinosaur is worlds better to live with on a regular basis if you can get past the age of the thing. The jeep feels more special overall but it’s mostly the novelty of it.

After renting two for 2 weeks each, I came away each time liking the looks but not enjoying the drive where the 4R was reversed from that.
The 4R is so old that it almost feels like a novelty. A novelty that's solid and built to withstand the test of time.

The JL/T weren't as well built. Looked cooler, but that's the extent of their winning.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:27 pm

I’d rather have a Jeep for the cool factor I think. But I’d buy an outback over either haha.
Somehow I can deal with a Cucktrek but can't quite be on board with an Outback. They are solid cars :doe: I think the wife is pretty committed to the Wrangler, so we won't be changing anything. It works out just fine for me, a little meh when I drive it on long highway trips, but for the most part, I get to enjoy having it but am not stuck driving it that much :lolol: Granted I don't drive anything that much, I don't think I've filled up the Beemah since end of November or so.
Cucktrek is a lifted hatchback. It's a modern day AMC Eagle Kammback. If you like hatchbacks, you'll like the Cucktrek. It's really a fantastic small vehicle.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:57 am

They make a lot of compromises for off road credibility and donkey cart axles. I bet they would sell more if they went to independent front suspension. But they’d also get flames for it, they have backed themselves in a corner where the only excuse for the hilariously bad steering and body control is “it’s a Jeep thing.”

I still like them, but I wouldn’t buy one because I would basically never off road it.
My 4R is just as capable as my JLs were, and it's vastly superior to live with. Much quieter and more comfortable, tracks straighter without needing constant corrections like the Jeep, the compromises in the Jeep are being made in the name of "heritage", which is a fun novelty, but things improve for a reason. Adapt or die.
Sounds like my review of the taco when I first got it. Just drives way better than the JL/T and is way cheaper spec for spec. Mojave was 60k vs 48k for the taco equally equipped.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:18 pm

I should have bought an Outback Wilderness. The biggest thing that pushed us to the 4R is its ability to tow the boat. Plus the fact that it can go anywhere and run forever.

I actually kind of miss the Cucktrek. It was just a tad small to be an only vehicle for us, the Outback would have been perfect.
I’m not onboard with the Outback …
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:31 pm
Sounds like my review of the taco when I first got it. Just drives way better than the JL/T and is way cheaper spec for spec. Mojave was 60k vs 48k for the taco equally equipped.
I never directly cross-shopped a JL because I knew for sure I didn't want another, but even the "ancient" 4R for $46k WITH accessories would take $60k to get an equivalent JL (hard top, heated seats, LED pack, Adaptive cruise pack, 8" screen, blind spot monitor, etc). And the 4R is better in every way except I guess powertrain. But even then, I just miss the 8-speed. I prefer the 4.0 in the 4R to the 3.6 in the Jeep. The only features the Jeep had that I miss would be the...heated steering wheel, audio system, and remote start :whocares:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:31 pm

I never directly cross-shopped a JL because I knew for sure I didn't want another, but even the "ancient" 4R for $46k WITH accessories would take $60k to get an equivalent JL (hard top, heated seats, LED pack, Adaptive cruise pack, 8" screen, blind spot monitor, etc). And the 4R is better in every way except I guess powertrain. But even then, I just miss the 8-speed. I prefer the 4.0 in the 4R to the 3.6 in the Jeep. The only features the Jeep had that I miss would be the...heated steering wheel, audio system, and remote start :whocares:
Yea… I do think the 8 speed was far superior to the 6 in my taco. Don’t have too much experience with the 5. Doubt they are all that different from a driving experience. I know they are quite different transmissions.
The 4. Slow has a little more torque down low so it makes it a bit more enjoyable but no one buys these things for power
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Why? It's honestly ideal for what we want, if only it could tow 5k lbs.

The only other thing I could have considered was a JGC, which frankly feels older than the 4R in many ways. I wouldn't touch a new one with a 5 year long pole.

Don't get me wrong, zero remorse. I love the 4R and sincerely hope it's a staple in the garage for a record time. I can't imagine replacing it with anything for a while.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:48 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm

The only other thing I could have considered was a JGC, which frankly feels older than the 4R in many ways. I wouldn't touch a new one with a 5 year long pole.

Don't get me wrong, zero remorse. I love the 4R and sincerely hope it's a staple in the garage for a record time. I can't imagine replacing it with anything for a while.
It’s ugly… less durable and has no character imo.
I like the 4R but the Outback is just a whole lotta :butwhy:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:50 pm

Hundreds of thousands of lesbians disagree.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm
Yea… I do think the 8 speed was far superior to the 6 in my taco. Don’t have too much experience with the 5. Doubt they are all that different from a driving experience. I know they are quite different transmissions.
The 4. Slow has a little more torque down low so it makes it a bit more enjoyable but no one buys these things for power
I drove the Taco and 4R back to back, the 6 speed just feels like it has a more aggressive 1st gear as it seems to jump off the line with a bit more authority. Other than that, they perform the same.

The 8-speed destroys both, but whatever.

I do prefer the torque and midrange in the 4.slow to the Pentastar or 3.5 in the Taco. It's not fast by any means, but it's nowhere near as slow as I feared. It's entirely adequate, and that's all I want.
ChrisoftheNorth

A Wilderness has a ton of...character IMO. Wife said it's ugly, she's :notwrong: but it at least stands out. Would have gotten significantly better fuel economy, performed better, and has more tech than the 4R.

Looks alone, the 4R wins hands down. And since I don't care about FE (I still haven't had to fill it up yet), it was the right choice because it does EVERYTHING for us.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm
A Wilderness has a ton of...character IMO. Wife said it's ugly, she's :notwrong: but it at least stands out. Would have gotten significantly better fuel economy, performed better, and has more tech than the 4R.

Looks alone, the 4R wins hands down. And since I don't care about FE (I still haven't had to fill it up yet), it was the right choice because it does EVERYTHING for us.
What tech ? Does subaru have better driver assist or something? :yikes:

MPG is TBD I have seen some pretty horrendous estimates on the Outback. My woman said same thing about the Wilderness btw. It really is an ugly ass vehicle. And frankly i feel like its lipstick on a pig? Why raise it? Why put bigger tires on it? It's a wagon. Just no.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

THe eight speed auto is key in the :jeep: , as are the powertrains, I'd say that's one area where they are far better. Our Jeep gets like 30-40% better fuel economy than a 4R.

There are definitely pros and cons to all of them.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 pm

What tech ? Does subaru have better driver assist or something? :yikes:

MPG is TBD I have seen some pretty horrendous estimates on the Outback. My woman said same thing about the Wilderness btw. It really is an ugly ass vehicle. And frankly i feel like its lipstick on a pig? Why raise it? Why put bigger tires on it? It's a wagon. Just no.
Eyesight legit drives the vehicle. I used it all the time in the Cucktrek. The 4R, not so much...but at least it can follow :derp: that can't figure out how to keep a constant speed. Eyesight was too obtrusive in forcing features to be on and beeping frequently, but it functioned better. I want Eyesight functionality with Toyota's more passive execution. Whatever, not a deal breaker.

But the Subaru has a better backup camera, and the base audio is likely better than the 4R "premium" audio.

I also wish the 4R had remote start, kinda shitty you have to get a TuRD BRO or Limited for that, and Outback would have had that including app functionality. The Cucktrek didn't have remote start, but it could be done easily from the app, including dictating what to set the HVAC to. I used that constantly. The 4R just shows the ODO and fuel level in the app what the fuck is the point of that?

Aside from that, :iono: honestly the 4R isn't as ancient as people make it out to be. LED headlights/fogs that are awesome, keyless proximity entry, the infotainment is seriously not bad, even the screen in the gauge cluster is color with decent resolution. I don't miss much other than above.

MPG, I don't see how the Outback couldn't be better, but indeed maybe only marginally in the real world. The added ground clearance is handy where I live, there's a lot of unmaintained "seasonal" roads that lead to epic hiking and camping. The Cucktrek got to all but just a few of the more extreme places, but a Wilderness would go everywhere. The 4R can go even farther yet, including wheeling which I find very appealing. I miss wheeling, and I'm looking forward to taking the 4R out soon.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:46 pm THe eight speed auto is key in the :jeep: , as are the powertrains, I'd say that's one area where they are far better. Our Jeep gets like 30-40% better fuel economy than a 4R.

There are definitely pros and cons to all of them.
You report incredible mileage in your JL. Ours never got close to that...20mpg hwy at its best and it was the 2.0 hybrid. The 4R should do close to that. I've put 260 miles on it, and it just reached a quarter tank the other night.

I'm just used to crap gas mileage. My ZR2 could never break 18, the JT was the same. The JL could hit 20, but the worst was the Cucktruck with "fuel economy" gears that could never do better than 17. Slow with shitty mileage, that truck blew.
ChrisoftheNorth

Fortunately, I don't drive daily and only drive a few times a week. I really don't care what gas mileage is since I drive so little. We'll see if it gets bad on highway trips, but there was really no other alternative for us to consider for what we wanted.

Dumping gas in the 4R is still cheaper than buying a second vehicle we don't need.
ChrisoftheNorth

Actually, I take that back. I really wish we could have seriously considered a Defender. Wife loves them, I do too. It's just super risky buying one with the closest dealer 250 miles away.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm Fortunately, I don't drive daily and only drive a few times a week. I really don't care what gas mileage is since I drive so little. We'll see if it gets bad on highway trips, but there was really no other alternative for us to consider for what we wanted.

Dumping gas in the 4R is still cheaper than buying a second vehicle we don't need.
It's pretty :aintcare: for me as well... although if we had a Cucktrek, our cross country trip would've been cheaper. I think gas was like $2 last winter though :whocares:

I don't actually hand calculate MPGeez but the JLU consistently returns 25-26 on our highway trips. I also drive slow as balls because the car is so bad on the highway. 70 is my max speed in that thing.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:11 pm Actually, I take that back. I really wish we could have seriously considered a Defender. Wife loves them, I do too. It's just super risky buying one with the closest dealer 250 miles away.
Curious about which engine you’d get. Other than the high profile tfl bs. They seem to be incredibly reliable for a JLR. Product so far.

I have been looking at the bronco forums and there are now 27 blown engines and counting with the 2.7 TT. Nothing on the fendie forums about that…
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:11 pm Actually, I take that back. I really wish we could have seriously considered a Defender. Wife loves them, I do too. It's just super risky buying one with the closest dealer 250 miles away.
Curious about which engine you’d get.
4 banger no question. That's plenty of power for what I need, and more powerful than anything I've had since the C5.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:57 pm
Curious about which engine you’d get. Other than the high profile tfl bs. They seem to be incredibly reliable for a JLR. Product so far.

I have been looking at the bronco forums and there are now 27 blown engines and counting with the 2.7 TT. Nothing on the fendie forums about that…
:nice: ninja.

Ford sucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm Fortunately, I don't drive daily and only drive a few times a week. I really don't care what gas mileage is since I drive so little. We'll see if it gets bad on highway trips, but there was really no other alternative for us to consider for what we wanted.

It's pretty :aintcare: for me as well... although if we had a Cucktrek, our cross country trip would've been cheaper. I think gas was like $2 last winter though :whocares:

I don't actually hand calculate MPGeez but the JLU consistently returns 25-26 on our highway trips. I also drive slow as balls because the car is so bad on the highway. 70 is my max speed in that thing.
Oh shit, 70? No wonder! 75 is about the slowest I go. Our JL almost never saw under 80 :tits: lead foot.
max225

yea... I don't recall the last time I drove 70 unless there was traffic.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am always :mindblown: when :jeep: blow by me on the freeway at 90 MPH, often times lifted and whatnot. I hate going fast in that thing, the steering/floaty feel are so bad.

In the Beemah I go 9-10 over the posted limit pretty much always.