:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:36 pm

Part of me is really really curious how the STI would be with a tune for the throttle and different dampers that could soak up bullshit better. All my research leads me to not believe the hype, that all the suspension kits lower the car and would therefore increase spring rates and ultimately make it worse over bad roads...

Sigh. I won't do anything to it. I would entertain owning a next gen if it comes with an automatic that's any good.
Doesn't someone make a more rally-focused suspension setup? That would be :tits:
Rally means super stiff dampers and springs. So you can slam shit at high speed off road.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Bilstein damping philosophy generally involves softish high-speed damping to "round off the corners" of a pothole strike. Low speed damping is pretty stiff - keeping the car pretty flat on braking and corner entry/exit.

Also, I think, generally speaking their coilover kits have progressive spring rates which adds to the plushness for the street.

edit: I should add that I have Bilstein shocks on the Fiesta - it was definitely a noticeable improvement in ride quality while improving handling characteristics
Last edited by 4zilch on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:34 am
Doesn't someone make a more rally-focused suspension setup? That would be :tits:
Rally means super stiff dampers and springs. So you can slam shit at high speed off road.
Huh? Usually off road suspension is soft to keep contact with varying roads.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:45 am

It's both. Soft-ish highspeed damping, but stiff in the mid-stroke. It's like dirt bike suspension.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:45 am
It's both. Soft-ish highspeed damping, but stiff in the mid-stroke. It's like dirt bike suspension.
:pftch:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 am

:pftch:
:gay: :gaydance:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:wrong:

get back in your Wrongler son. You're done here.

Classic rally isnt just "stiff". They have massive extended TRAVEL over typical OEM. The dampening also must be progressive and matched to travel. If the car is too stiff over tons of uneven/differing bumps it would get upset real fast. rally tuning suspension is very different than a stiff "street" or "race" setup.

Look at that massive travel!

What "rally" lite kits are avail for the WRX that increase your travel without hacking the car up?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:43 am Bilstein damping philosophy generally involves softish high-speed damping to "round off the corners" of a pothole strike. Low speed damping is pretty stiff - keeping the car pretty flat on braking and corner entry/exit.

Also, I think, generally speaking their coilover kits have progressive spring rates which adds to the plushness for the street.

edit: I should add that I have Bilstein shocks on the Fiesta - it was definitely a noticeable improvement in ride quality while improving handling characteristics
MrH on here has Bilstein coilovers on his s2k and had them on his BRZ. Had nothing but good things to say about ride quality.

JP do you have 17's on your car?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yea pro suspensions are almost never stiff especially of the rally type. They usually start soft and get firm, also when the wheels are full droop (jump) usually the shocks are damped in a way to then go full stiff, to absorb the fall. Quite cool shit
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:03 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:43 am Bilstein damping philosophy generally involves softish high-speed damping to "round off the corners" of a pothole strike. Low speed damping is pretty stiff - keeping the car pretty flat on braking and corner entry/exit.

MrH on here has Bilstein coilovers on his s2k and had them on his BRZ. Had nothing but good things to say about ride quality.

At least 18s
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am

At least 18s
The 17" forged BBS wheels from '05-07 will fit on his car and allow more sidewall. Combine with Bilstein dampers and it should be at least 50% better probably. Subaru factory damping just isn't good.
Johnny_P

18" stock wheels with summer rubber
17" winter wheels with horrific snow tires
Johnny_P

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:19 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am

At least 18s
The 17" forged BBS wheels from '05-07 will fit on his car and allow more sidewall. Combine with Bilstein dampers and it should be at least 50% better probably. Subaru factory damping just isn't good.
The 17s ride like complete dog shit on the stock suspension. Way way way too many undamped oscillations from the sidewalls, the ride never relaxes. Might be better with stiffer sidewall tires.

Factory damping does leave something to be desired for low speed driving. High speed driving they're f'ing perfect.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:01 am

Classic rally isnt just "stiff". They have massive extended TRAVEL over typical OEM. The dampening also must be progressive and matched to travel. If the car is too stiff over tons of uneven/differing bumps it would get upset real fast. rally tuning suspension is very different than a stiff "street" or "race" setup.

What "rally" lite kits are avail for the WRX that increase your travel without hacking the car up?
I have no idea what's available. That Reiger suspension is probably $10k though.
We've been down this road before though. All the coilover kits available lower the car with significantly stiffer springs, there is no way that will ride better than my car currently does. I'd be fine with the stock springs I just want more body control during low speed driving.
The dampers themselves are awesome at high speed though, they smooth out and hardly ever bottom out harshly. Unfortunately I don't do much high speed driving.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:01 am

I have no idea what's available. That Reiger suspension is probably $10k though.
We've been down this road before though. All the coilover kits available lower the car with significantly stiffer springs, there is no way that will ride better than my car currently does. I'd be fine with the stock springs I just want more body control during low speed driving.
The dampers themselves are awesome at high speed though, they smooth out and hardly ever bottom out harshly. Unfortunately I don't do much high speed driving.
Bilstein B6 w/ stock springs :bread:
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:35 pm

I might look at an S4. Want an automatic.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

http://fealsuspension.com/feal-coilovers/#feal-4

441+ Max Travel w/ whatever spring rate your heart desires for $1700... We have indeed been over this before.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm http://fealsuspension.com/feal-coilovers/#feal-4

441+ Max Travel w/ whatever spring rate your heart desires for $1700... We have indeed been over this before.
Is there a NOFEAL option?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:38 pm

I might look at an S4. Want an automatic.
:doit: :pussy:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm http://fealsuspension.com/feal-coilovers/#feal-4

Yep we have. And my same exact response happened last time as is happening this time. I don't care because it's not happening. I'm not dropping $1700 + install (because city) on a science experiment based on forumbro vape reviews that likely ride worse and will lower the value of my car.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:17 pm

Yep we have. And my same exact response happened last time as is happening this time. I don't care because it's not happening. I'm not dropping $1700 + install (because city) on a science experiment based on forumbro vape reviews that likely ride worse and will lower the value of my car.
So, do nothing and continue to moan about STi ride quality on Philly streets?
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Get a different car. One with an automatic like I want.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Get a different car in 2021
:dat:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:mahman:
Johnny_P

Clearly nobody has been following my actual thoughts on the car but it's cool. I'm only here for entertainment purposes anyway.