:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm
Correct but Mini is unique in a sense that for say an extra 5k you can skip 2 generations of vehicles. You get way more car for the money post gen 1 IMO. And you wouldn't need to dick with it and just enjoy it.
This really is an interesting market dynamic.

I'm not totally against something that needs some work, I kind of miss having an older car to wrench on. This wouldn't be a main source of transport, just for around twisty roads and the occasional highway trip down state.
Right but, what is the point in going older? There is nothing about gen 1/2 that makes them superior to gen 3... Is sort of what i am trying to convey.

If say a gen 1 drove way better than a gen 3... then you'd probably benefit from doing light wrenching. :hubba: But gen 3s are great vehicles, and they have pretty decent interior and NO "old car issues" , that seems like a very good value for an extra $5k. Seems like bringing a decent gen 1 to gen 3 levels would take that amount from the start... and you'll still be left with an OLLLD car.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:54 pm 3rd gen S's are low low teens now also.
Just for this exercise, we'll assume a $10k price cap. Curious to see how much car you can get for $10k. Rotted out 944's are over $10k now, pretty much anything "desirable" is. Somehow MINIs seem to still be rather reasonable?
I sold a perfect RX8 for $7500. Can't get better value IMO.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 pm
Detroit wrote: Just for this exercise, we'll assume a $10k price cap. Curious to see how much car you can get for $10k. Rotted out 944's are over $10k now, pretty much anything "desirable" is. Somehow MINIs seem to still be rather reasonable?
Yea that was high on the value prop as well.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Just for this exercise, we'll assume a $10k price cap. Curious to see how much car you can get for $10k. Rotted out 944's are over $10k now, pretty much anything "desirable" is. Somehow MINIs seem to still be rather reasonable?
I should have bought that car off you
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:22 pm
This really is an interesting market dynamic.

I'm not totally against something that needs some work, I kind of miss having an older car to wrench on. This wouldn't be a main source of transport, just for around twisty roads and the occasional highway trip down state.
Right but, what is the point in going older? There is nothing about gen 1/2 that makes them superior to gen 3... Is sort of what i am trying to convey.

If say a gen 1 drove way better than a gen 3... then you'd probably benefit from doing light wrenching. :hubba: But gen 3s are great vehicles, and they have pretty decent interior and NO "old car issues" , that seems like a very good value for an extra $5k. Seems like bringing a decent gen 1 to gen 3 levels would take that amount from the start... and you'll still be left with an OLLLD car.
:notwrong:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Very strong value. That's another interesting one...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:46 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Gen 1s do drive better than the generations after, from a drivers car standpoint. Period.

The R53 is way more raw, more communicative, and more visceral. I’ve owned all three generations at this point, I’m certainly qualified to settle this matter.

The later gens are more refined, and not quite as involving to drive. They’re all fun in their own ways, though. It really just depends on what you’re looking for.
And this is the thing. I'm really intrigued by something super raw and visceral. I always have been. It's why a 996 is on my list too. I want refinement from a daily, but for a fun car? I want an experience.

Gen 1 MINIs with the supercharger and quirkiness really gives me fizz. I've never driven one :doe: just a number of Gen 2's, and I loved those.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm
And this is the thing. I'm really intrigued by something super raw and visceral. I always have been. It's why a 996 is on my list too. I want refinement from a daily, but for a fun car? I want an experience.

Gen 1 MINIs with the supercharger and quirkiness really gives me fizz. I've never driven one :doe: just a number of Gen 2's, and I loved those.
There’s a reason I came back to my R53. It’s one of few cars to legitimately give me the fizz.

The R56 isn’t bad, it’s really a heavily refreshed R53 (floorpans are nearly identical, seats will even swap between the two with some wiring connector changes), but the turbo is a different character, and the electric steering in the R56 is a bit more numb.
Stop it. You're making me want to do stupid things.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Gen 1s do drive better than the generations after, from a drivers car standpoint. Period.

The R53 is way more raw, more communicative, and more visceral. I’ve owned all three generations at this point, I’m certainly qualified to settle this matter.

The later gens are more refined, and not quite as involving to drive. They’re all fun in their own ways, though. It really just depends on what you’re looking for.

The amount of "rawness" and "fun" you will get over a JT and JL is massive. But you can obviously make your own decision, you have two clear points presented to you by current mini owners... you somewhat trust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:18 pm

The amount of "rawness" and "fun" you will get over a JT and JL is massive. But you can obviously make your own decision, you have two clear points presented to you by current mini owners... you somewhat trust.
Point is moot, can't do shit until the house transaction is done. Then who knows, I do appreciate the insights brehs. :wub:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm And this is the thing. I'm really intrigued by something super raw and visceral.
This is why I love the E30.
With all the mods it's very communicative, with a good chassic, and has a bluetooth radio and A/C.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:48 pm And this is the thing. I'm really intrigued by something super raw and visceral.
With all the mods it's very communicative, with a good chassic, and has a bluetooth radio and A/C.
Oh man, I loved my e30. That was a car I shouldn't have sold. They're not really affordable anymore, a MINI would be a better buy.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:22 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Oh man, I loved my e30. That was a car I shouldn't have sold. They're not really affordable anymore, a MINI would be a better buy.
:dat: At this point an E30 in the condition of an $8.5K R56 S is like $20K. :nope:

You could just build it yourself like :mahman: :melon: :doe: I guess also expensive, but yields amazing results and you have the abilities to get that done.

Man I've been super intrigued with these older Hondas recently as mentioned... a MINI is probably a better bet for a similar type of fun.

#makeDFDaMINIforum?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:22 pm
:dat: At this point an E30 in the condition of an $8.5K R56 S is like $20K. :nope:

You could just build it yourself like :mahman: :melon: :doe: I guess also expensive, but yields amazing results and you have the abilities to get that done.

Man I've been super intrigued with these older Hondas recently as mentioned... a MINI is probably a better bet for a similar type of fun.

#makeDFDaMINIforum?
I don't think I want to build a car from the ground up. I'd much rather start with something nice and fix small things and maintain it, that's just the life mode I'm in right now.

My e30 I sold 7 years ago for $7.5k is probably an easy $15k car today. Sad, but whatever.

Hondas and other Japanese cars do absolutely nothing for me. The RX8 is probably the only thing that I could see interesting me. That and the BRZ/FR-S, but those are still relatively pricey.

MINI tho, they're pretty cheap, tons of fun, some bit practical, and best of all for me...I fit in them comfortably which I can't really say about the Japanese cars. They're also quirky and unique, which I like a lot in a fun car.

I really want to go look at that Gen 1 JCW that's 15 minutes from me, but the timing couldn't be worse.

Abarth's are also in my consideration list because of how cheap they are. The seating position is the hardest thing to get over there :doe:
max225

I can’t get over how an Abarth looks ... the front is ok but the side and rear profiles are :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:17 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:03 pm

#makeDFDaMINIforum?
I don't think I want to build a car from the ground up. I'd much rather start with something nice and fix small things and maintain it, that's just the life mode I'm in right now.

My e30 I sold 7 years ago for $7.5k is probably an easy $15k car today. Sad, but whatever.

Hondas and other Japanese cars do absolutely nothing for me. The RX8 is probably the only thing that I could see interesting me. That and the BRZ/FR-S, but those are still relatively pricey.

MINI tho, they're pretty cheap, tons of fun, some bit practical, and best of all for me...I fit in them comfortably which I can't really say about the Japanese cars. They're also quirky and unique, which I like a lot in a fun car.

I really want to go look at that Gen 1 JCW that's 15 minutes from me, but the timing couldn't be worse.

Abarth's are also in my consideration list because of how cheap they are. The seating position is the hardest thing to get over there :doe:
This is where I'm at as well, although I also love "JDM" stuff, what can I say, it was my intro to car enthusiasm back in HS. I always loved cars but when I finally got something I could autox/wrench on/mod it was my 1997 Civic.

:iono: the MINIs are pretty darn compelling, that BMW depreciation curve :notbad: They are surprisingly practical which is part of the appeal for me, I could justify one alongside the C5. An E46 or something would be cool as well but I'd feel dumb buying one, when the reality is my F30 was such a better car and I sold it for not a ton more than a good E46 would cost.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:22 pm I can’t get over how an Abarth looks ... the front is ok but the side and rear profiles are :disgust:
I like those cars pretty well, but MINIs really are better in not only looks, but also basically everything else.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:22 pm I can’t get over how an Abarth looks ... the front is ok but the side and rear profiles are :disgust:
The back and rear 3/4 don't look finished, agreed. But they sound incredible, they're actually rather engaging and fun to drive, and they're pretty quick. I'd prefer a MINI, but you can pick up a 7 year old Abarth for well under $10k these days.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rE7jNX ... 500-abarth
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:24 pm
I like those cars pretty well, but MINIs really are better in not only looks, but also basically everything else.
:dat:
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm
The back and rear 3/4 don't look finished, agreed. But they sound incredible, they're actually rather engaging and fun to drive, and they're pretty quick. I'd prefer a MINI, but you can pick up a 7 year old Abarth for well under $10k these days.

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rE7jNX ... 500-abarth
Yea value is there, as I said, I just hate how it looks. And it’s even smaller than an already small vehicle.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The Fiat 500 is a gay man's car. You can put straight pipes and a turbro on it but there is too much to overcome.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:42 pm

The Fiat 500 is a gay man's car. You can put straight pipes and a turbro on it but there is too much to overcome.
I'd :gaydance: all the way to the bank. :iono:
I would like to drive the piss out of it for a week and turn it back in
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:42 pm

I'd :gaydance: all the way to the bank. :iono:
:dat:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:01 pm Give it to me, give it to me now.

https://www.waukeshasbestusedcars.net/d ... r/69098741

Dang, looks pretty clean! :notbad: