:plac: finds v2.0: Moar gold on the crangslist

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:08 pm
max225 wrote:
Yep, does it have a good use of space inside ?
Pretty good, yeah. It's a big car inside and out.
:dat:

Only sedan I found to fit all 3 of our car seats in the back seat. Lexus LS wasn't wide enough, even.

Turns out I have only a couple degrees of separation between me and the owner of that red one I linked. He used to own a Pontiac dealership in my hometown and is friends with the father of one of my friends from high school. He actually knows who I am, too. After college I bought a different friend's Grand Prix GTP that was as clean as they come. It was 10 years old but had never seen a winter, and I paid my friend's dad to let me store the car during the winter months in one of the warehouse areas of one of the family businesses' commercial properties. This guy stored at least one of his cars there as well and pointed out my car to my friend's dad a couple times as they walked through.

This guy's wife has been driving the car during the summer for the past several years while he scoots around in a CTS-V wagon, but supposedly it's perfect. Jim is meticulous and my friend and his dad have seen the car on multiple occasions. I do think $19k is steep, the one Johnny linked is $17k with the same miles, but if I'm going to get a G8 GT, this is probably the one to get. It's for sale on consignment through a dealership that only works with enthusiast cars and is run by a very well-respected businessperson in my home town.

Really wasn't wanting to make a move just yet, considering I have no need to cart the kids anywhere during this whole mess, but this car might make me get off the couch.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:16 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:08 pm Pretty good, yeah. It's a big car inside and out.

Only sedan I found to fit all 3 of our car seats in the back seat. Lexus LS wasn't wide enough, even.

Turns out I have only a couple degrees of separation between me and the owner of that red one I linked. He used to own a Pontiac dealership in my hometown and is friends with the father of one of my friends from high school. He actually knows who I am, too. After college I bought a different friend's Grand Prix GTP that was as clean as they come. It was 10 years old but had never seen a winter, and I paid my friend's dad to let me store the car during the winter months in one of the warehouse areas of one of the family businesses' commercial properties. This guy stored at least one of his cars there as well and pointed out my car to my friend's dad a couple times as they walked through.

This guy's wife has been driving the car during the summer for the past several years while he scoots around in a CTS-V wagon, but supposedly it's perfect. Jim is meticulous and my friend and his dad have seen the car on multiple occasions. I do think $19k is steep, the one Johnny linked is $17k with the same miles, but if I'm going to get a G8 GT, this is probably the one to get. It's for sale on consignment through a dealership that only works with enthusiast cars and is run by a very well-respected businessperson in my home town.

Really wasn't wanting to make a move just yet, considering I have no need to cart the kids anywhere during this whole mess, but this car might make me get off the couch.
Wow, you will be hard pressed to find a better example where you actually know the history of the car. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am
coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:16 am

Wow, you will be hard pressed to find a better example where you actually know the history of the car. :notbad:

Legit :notbad:

A G8 is a pretty great solution here IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big thing I'm worried about is the displacement on demand crap. Evidently if the lifters go they take out the cam and the whole valvetrain, and it's a big dollar repair to make. Get a GXP off the jump and I wouldn't have to worry about that, but it's more $$$ up front.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am Big thing I'm worried about is the displacement on demand crap. Evidently if the lifters go they take out the cam and the whole valvetrain, and it's a big dollar repair to make. Get a GXP off the jump and I wouldn't have to worry about that, but it's more $$$ up front.
Yea...DoD is a concern...but if the car has been well maintained and with reasonable miles, you probably have a while before it's a legit concern.

GXP Would be :megusta: but the values there are stupid IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 am
coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:11 am Big thing I'm worried about is the displacement on demand crap. Evidently if the lifters go they take out the cam and the whole valvetrain, and it's a big dollar repair to make. Get a GXP off the jump and I wouldn't have to worry about that, but it's more $$$ up front.
Yea...DoD is a concern...but if the car has been well maintained and with reasonable miles, you probably have a while before it's a legit concern.

No doubt, and even the $19k is more than I want to spend. Was hoping to keep this purchase to $15k or so.

I've kicked the tires on this one but the dealership was totally inflexible on price, but that was prior to the whole Coronadome ordeal.
https://www.royalsouthtoyota.com/vehicl ... d-33753789

ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:38 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 am

No doubt, and even the $19k is more than I want to spend. Was hoping to keep this purchase to $15k or so.

I've kicked the tires on this one but the dealership was totally inflexible on price, but that was prior to the whole Coronadome ordeal.
https://www.royalsouthtoyota.com/vehicl ... d-33753789

$24k :lolol:

It's amazing how these are just not depreciating.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 am $24k :lolol:

Yeah, it's crazy. But to fix lifter failure from DoD could easily cost $3-4k, which makes them cost essentially the same but with no additional resale value in the GT.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:46 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 am $24k :lolol:

Yeah, it's crazy. But to fix lifter failure from DoD could easily cost $3-4k, which makes them cost essentially the same but with no additional resale value in the GT.
Assuming it fails, which isn't guaranteed. GXP will hold it's value better though it seems.

I had my C5 tuned by a dude that specialized in DOD deletes...IIRC he'd do it for ~$1k. It's just new lifters, cam, and tune...which is a great opportunity for a bit of a performance boost.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am Assuming it fails, which isn't guaranteed. GXP will hold it's value better though it seems.

I had my C5 tuned by a dude that specialized in DOD deletes...IIRC he'd do it for ~$1k. It's just new lifters, cam, and tune...which is a great opportunity for a bit of a performance boost.
The parts alone from Livernois are $1,400, then plus install and tune. Meh. I'll still probably just end up with an Odyssey.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:44 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am Assuming it fails, which isn't guaranteed. GXP will hold it's value better though it seems.

The parts alone from Livernois are $1,400, then plus install and tune. Meh. I'll still probably just end up with an Odyssey.
Livernois is :fullretard: with pricing.

The dude I'm referring to used BTR parts...here from BTR for $535. Could even use the stock cam, so the only tuning required would be to delete DOD from the computer to eliminate CEL. The tuning cost would be cheap.

https://briantooleyracing.com/btr-gen-i ... e-kit.html
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

20 MPG highway on 93 :jimp:

The equivalent of 15 MPG on 87 octane at least where I live.

Pickup trucks get better mileage.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 pm 20 MPG highway on 93 :jimp:

Everyone gets 40mpg in a corvette :gtfo: this can’t be much worse
max225

To add a data point to the “non depreciation”
Fjs are dumping in price weekly ... and this won’t last either...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:

G8 GT should get around 25 highway without dumb mods. I looked into them multiple times but they've always been too big and more money than I wanted to spend. Especially now that an 8-speed Charger must be around the same price.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm
max225 wrote:
G8 GT should get around 25 highway without dumb mods. I looked into them multiple times but they've always been too big and more money than I wanted to spend. Especially now that an 8-speed Charger must be around the same price.
335i would easily get 30... I am maintaining that it is a far better sport sedan than this. And it’ll be reliable enough until 150k miles at which point most cars are absolute worn out garbage
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:30 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm G8 GT should get around 25 highway without dumb mods. I looked into them multiple times but they've always been too big and more money than I wanted to spend. Especially now that an 8-speed Charger must be around the same price.
335i would easily get 30... I am maintaining that it is a far better sport sedan than this. And it’ll be reliable enough until 150k miles at which point most cars are absolute worn out garbage
The GT is tuned for 87. It gets 25 on 87, which where I live is 30-40% cheaper than 93. Therefore the MPG argument is a wash.
max225

89 is the minimum for the 335i
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:25 pm G8 GT should get around 25 highway without dumb mods. I looked into them multiple times but they've always been too big and more money than I wanted to spend. Especially now that an 8-speed Charger must be around the same price.
You're :notwrong: in my opinion.

Interesting: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pontiac ... irst-test/

This article compares the two and praises the G8 for being $10K cheaper than a 335i... Funny that you can now het a 5-10 year newer 335i for the same money. 335i is also available with a :manuel: which is :neat: IMO. But you see what I drive.

FWIW a 328i can get 35 highway on 87, more with automatic trans. I can't imagine the 335 is that much worse?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:31 pm

This article compares the two and praises the G8 for being $10K cheaper than a 335i... Funny that you can now het a 5-10 year newer 335i for the same money. 335i is also available with a :manuel: which is :neat: IMO. But you see what I drive.

FWIW a 328i can get 35 highway on 87, more with automatic trans. I can't imagine the 335 is that much worse?
8 speed on the 440i is 2Kish on the tach at 80.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nah. The bimmer will have some significant issues between 100 and 150, and those issues CAN BE expensive as fuck. The PonTon is relatively bulletproof, and the issues that do arise are largely shadetree stuff.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

G8 GXP could be had in :manuel: but those are :fullretard: money.

I kind of wish I had found a way to scrape together enough money to buy one. I remember the Pontiac dealer by where I work had one and was blowing it out when the dealer went under in 09. IIRC it was $35k...which at the time might as well have been $1M....but man it wouldn't have depreciated a dime in 11 years.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 pm G8 GXP could be had in :manuel: but those are :fullretard: money.

I kind of wish I had found a way to scrape together enough money to buy one. I remember the Pontiac dealer by where I work had one and was blowing it out when the dealer went under in 09. IIRC it was $35k...which at the time might as well have been $1M....but man it wouldn't have depreciated a dime in 11 years.

An even halfway decent :manuel: GXP is still $30k. To have driven for essentially just insurance, maintenance, and has for the past 11 years would be :muah:. Was just out of college and making shit money back in '09, doe.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 pm

G8 GXP could be had in :manuel: but those are :fullretard: money.

All :dat: is true.

The GXP is :neat: but kind of pointless when a 10 year newer SS can be had for similar $$.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:22 pm

I just love sharing this video every time this comment is made just for the :trolol:

https://youtu.be/VQUVJXK10JI