2020 Supra-Why I think it is half assed.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Is the 2020 half assed ?

Yes
35%
No, I placed my order it is AMAZING!
9%
Toaster
57%

Total votes: 23
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm All this chat has just made me want to buy :mahtroy: 's :wankel: and drop an LS into it.
Bringing this back up to actually say that you should definitely not do that. A turbo would be awesome, an LS would be dumb. Buy a C6 if you want an RX8-sized V8 sports car. I've looked into it and it's roughly $10k all-in to do a turbo right, keeping the car at basically 2900 lbs with 300 or so hp and retaining the high revs and super low polar moment provided by the :wankel: stuffed up under the dash. Would be really really cool but also worthless at the same time. :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:24 pm All this chat has just made me want to buy :mahtroy: 's :wankel: and drop an LS into it.
Bringing this back up to actually say that you should definitely not do that. A turbo would be awesome, an LS would be dumb. Buy a C6 if you want an RX8-sized V8 sports car. I've looked into it and it's roughly $10k all-in to do a turbo right, keeping the car at basically 2900 lbs with 300 or so hp and retaining the high revs and super low polar moment provided by the :wankel: stuffed up under the dash. Would be really really cool but also worthless at the same time. :fullretard:
:dat:

As much as I like to think about :ellis: swaps into things, a :poorvette: is basically the end result and way cheaper.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:14 pm

As much as I like to think about :ellis: swaps into things, a :poorvette: is basically the end result and way cheaper.
It would be different if you were to swap it into something totally different, like say an E46 wagon or blown up 996... But a 3200 lb 106" wheelbase front-mid engine sports coupe with double wishbones all around is literally describing a C6 and an LS-powered RX8 at the same time. The hatch+targa beats the suicide doors every time for utility too.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:22 pm
Detroit wrote: :dat:

It would be different if you were to swap it into something totally different, like say an E46 wagon or blown up 996... But a 3200 lb 106" wheelbase front-mid engine sports coupe with double wishbones all around is literally describing a C6 and an LS-powered RX8 at the same time. The hatch+targa beats the suicide doors every time for utility too.
A blown up 996 is still intriguing, but I'll probably never do it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:42 pm I disagree on the styling, it's very 90's.

Not a Toyota engine is disappointing, I agree there.

Also, original one wasn't a giant slayer, it was a bitchin' GT care made to compete with Corvette and Porsche.
Toyota slayed the giants with the LFA.
It was though... This engine made it's debut in 1991, 320hp...330tq
Ferrari 348 of the same year made 300hp.

How much HP does the current comparable ferrari have? etc etc.
Broham the B58 is a seriously underrated engine. It makes 320rwhp.....370ish is the real talk at the crank. I have no idea whether the 2JZ was also underrated.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:35 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:46 pm

It was though... This engine made it's debut in 1991, 320hp...330tq
Ferrari 348 of the same year made 300hp.

How much HP does the current comparable ferrari have? etc etc.
Broham the B58 is a seriously underrated engine. It makes 320rwhp.....370ish is the real talk at the crank. I have no idea whether the 2JZ was also underrated.
That's not the point you're comparing a current engine to something from 1994, times were different. You couldn't just message someone through your phone and send them fake digital money, while getting head and ordering dominos all through the same device at the same time.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:24 pm Also, non :trollface: :

:disgust:
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: XR600R, C5Z, BWS3 SRT4

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm I get the weak horsepower complaint. If you would of asked me this in my 20's I would of said this thing's a piece of shit. But now almost pushing 40 and doing lots of autocross and having a car with 400 to the wheels, those numbers don't mean as much to me. I'm more interested now in how the package works as a whole. These horsepower numbers that are coming out now are just ridiculous. Where does it end? 1K Hp for your daily? You don't need that baw!
I'm totally happy with my 128hp 1.8L that's likely down to 100hp in its current shape because it handles so well. So maybe the new Supra handles great, and weighs less ( I haven't looked at the numbers honestly). I think that price point is a little high (Let's face it, high starting parts is the new norm... When people are spending $40-50K for a baseline truck), but let's be real, a lot of people are going to be doing tuning on these things.
I think manufacturers should stop at 500hp. Want to make the car faster? Make it lighter. Add whizzbang transmissions, and hippie electric power. Anyone can add power and tire to a car.
max225

NeonJonny wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm I get the weak horsepower complaint. If you would of asked me this in my 20's I would of said this thing's a piece of shit. But now almost pushing 40 and doing lots of autocross and having a car with 400 to the wheels, those numbers don't mean as much to me. I'm more interested now in how the package works as a whole. These horsepower numbers that are coming out now are just ridiculous. Where does it end? 1K Hp for your daily? You don't need that baw!
I'm totally happy with my 128hp 1.8L that's likely down to 100hp in its current shape because it handles so well. So maybe the new Supra handles great, and weighs less ( I haven't looked at the numbers honestly). I think that price point is a little high (Let's face it, high starting parts is the new norm... When people are spending $40-50K for a baseline truck), but let's be real, a lot of people are going to be doing tuning on these things.
I think manufacturers should stop at 500hp. Want to make the car faster? Make it lighter. Add whizzbang transmissions, and hippie electric power. Anyone can add power and tire to a car.
I think lighter gets really expensive. Whereas more powerful doesn't really... +10K will get you 300hp more, but cutting out 1000lbs will cost 50k+
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm
NeonJonny wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 pm
I think lighter gets really expensive. Whereas more powerful doesn't really... +10K will get you 300hp more, but cutting out 1000lbs will cost 50k+

You're at the limit of materials and manufacturing tech at that point.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I think we make cars faster by teaching people how to drive faster.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:12 pm I think we make cars faster by teaching people how to drive faster.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I actually like the way it looks. Yeah it sucks Toyota didn't do any sort of engine work and I think it is priced too high. $40k with a :manuel: would've been the sweet spot.

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-when ... 1831800550
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:12 pm I think we make cars faster by teaching people how to drive faster.
Me IRL
NeonJonny
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

How many months until a tuner swaps a 2jz or Ellis into it? I say 3.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the Supra, but don't love it. The concept looked really aggressive and had me thinking supercar vs a refreshed 370Z which is kind of what it turns out to be. Nothing wrong with the production version but it doesn't exactly look like a supercar, and knowing Toyota, there are very few shareholders wanting to build two door sport coupes. Sure the designers and marketing staff want them released, but the machinery to make them costs billions and billions. It's dumb from a financial perspective unless you're pumping out Corvette volumes for decades off the same equipment. Hence BRZ/FRS/86, and now the Z4/Supra. Use someone else's assembly lines whenever possible.

To achieve their vision, they might have contemplated using the LFA footprint, by adding a few robots to that assembly process to build chunks of that car out of cheaper materials, strip out the costly tech and optioned it with their own V6 +TT with a :manuel: , and give it the high priced V8 version for those who want something truly unique and impressive.

More shit talk:
Now if they went this route they would have truly born a legendary replacement, and probably have sold a few thousand examples per year. Which sounds like financial suicide unless their goal is to earn street cred for their beige cars with sport/F-Sport designations. Grounded to the ground Camry could be considered a respectable sports sedan in the car enthusast world come next gen, assuming they bolt on a couple of "supra" exclusive goodies, like stiffer suspension and the made up V6 turbo/ZF tranny.

Alas, their intentions are good, the product is okay, and once again playing it safe costs them some street cred in exchange for happier shareholders. So do they deserve ZOMG excitement from the average enthusiast for this release? Probably not, but the "Grounded to the Ground" buyer may fork out a little extra for the gloss black rims and sport bolstered seats in the 2020 Camry and imagine themselves behind the wheel of a Supra as they neutral drop into D while revving beside a Jetta at a random street light.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm

To be realistic, I think toyota thought the unthinkable and just debuted the concept. At the time, Toyota probably did not plan in regards of powerplant, transmission and it's driveability. I think the concept release alone, basically riled the audience waiting for the release. So Toyota basically rushed throughout the real supra release. Which explains why the news about BMW engine, chassis, trans, headunit, etc. has been disclosed just a few months back (I think). Toyota basically procasinated on a school project and did the assignment carelessly within following the guidelines and/or used the same approach as they did to the previous Supra. That's my observation.
They procrastinated nothing.

They hyped it all, the internet gobbled it up, BMW and Toyota went to bed, and this is what was born several months later.

It's smaller than an M2, weighs less than an M2, has less power than an M2, and is hopefully razor sharp in terms of handling and dynamics. Is it a bad car? No. But it has big shoes to fill, and better shoes to compete against.

It really shouldn't be named the Supra.
They should have called this the new Celica.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:20 pm
Get out of here with that sensible logic.
:howdareu:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm I actually like the way it looks. Yeah it sucks Toyota didn't do any sort of engine work and I think it is priced too high. $40k with a :manuel: would've been the sweet spot.

An entire article about how a BMW chassis is remarkably BMW.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm I actually like the way it looks. Yeah it sucks Toyota didn't do any sort of engine work and I think it is priced too high. $40k with a :manuel: would've been the sweet spot.

You can't price this that way when it sits on the lot next to a V6 Camry XLE/XSE priced at $40k.

Hell, an original Supra Turbo was $40k in the mid 90's, and in today's money that's easily $65k now.

They've left room for a Celica nameplate in the middle of this and the 86, which has long been the plan from my time with Toyota.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 pm

You can't price this that way when it sits on the lot next to a V6 Camry XLE/XSE priced at $40k.

Hell, an original Supra Turbo was $40k in the mid 90's, and in today's money that's easily $65k now.

They've left room for a Celica nameplate in the middle of this and the 86, which has long been the plan from my time with Toyota.
New Celica All Trac? :fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Finally read the review of the new Z4 in C&D last night. Aside from bemoaning the lack of a :manuel: (of course), the author LOVED the thing. Basically said it was as good as a Boxster. Curious to see what the Supra reviews are like, but I'd expect it to be a more juvenile, hardtop version of the Z4. Supra could end up being really, really good.
max225

coogles wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:01 pm Finally read the review of the new Z4 in C&D last night. Aside from bemoaning the lack of a :manuel: (of course), the author LOVED the thing. Basically said it was as good as a Boxster. Curious to see what the Supra reviews are like, but I'd expect it to be a more juvenile, hardtop version of the Z4. Supra could end up being really, really good.
I don't understand how a front engine'd car is as good as a mid engined car. That writer is a turd.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm I don't understand how a front engine'd car is as good as a mid engined car. That writer is a turd.
Miata < MR2, clearly.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

No mid engine 10k RPM manual diesel V12 brown wagon no care.

It's a MK2 370Z with an engine from a BMW family sedan and an automatic shared with a Ram pickup truck.