2020 Supra-Why I think it is half assed.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Is the 2020 half assed ?

Yes
35%
No, I placed my order it is AMAZING!
9%
Toaster
57%

Total votes: 23
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

https://www.caranddriver.com/archives/t ... ented-test

For you supra haters... just do some reading.
Quicker than an Acura NSX, a Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo, and a Porsche 928GT—a trio of cars that tackle 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. It's quicker, in fact, than stellar strip artists like the Mazda RX-7, the Corvette LT1, and the Nissan 300ZX Turbo, all three of which perform the same trick in five flat.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... pra-turbo/
On paper, the right parts and the right size, but what happens at the track? How about 0.98g around the skidpad, 66.0 mph through the slalom and stopping distances from 60 mph on the order of 120 ft. Like the Supra Turbo's acceleration, its handling and braking prowess are close to the best we've ever seen, regardless of cost.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm

At least in that case Toyota developed the chassis, Subaru did the drivetrain...a true collaboration. This time Toyota just took a Z4, slapped some overwrought bodywork on it, reduced the boost targets and sent a car out the door.
Right. So what took so long?

There's no doubt that the hype machine is at play here. Partially blowing up the 4th gen, but also making the new car seem like the end all be all. This must have been one of the longest publicized development cycles ever, NO car could live up to the hype.
To be realistic, I think toyota thought the unthinkable and just debuted the concept. At the time, Toyota probably did not plan in regards of powerplant, transmission and it's driveability. I think the concept release alone, basically riled the audience waiting for the release. So Toyota basically rushed throughout the real supra release. Which explains why the news about BMW engine, chassis, trans, headunit, etc. has been disclosed just a few months back (I think). Toyota basically procasinated on a school project and did the assignment carelessly within following the guidelines and/or used the same approach as they did to the previous Supra. That's my observation.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Thanks for fucking up my poll whoever did it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

God Im busy as fuck, i need some DFD link clicking.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm
Right. So what took so long?

There's no doubt that the hype machine is at play here. Partially blowing up the 4th gen, but also making the new car seem like the end all be all. This must have been one of the longest publicized development cycles ever, NO car could live up to the hype.
To be realistic, I think toyota thought the unthinkable and just debuted the concept. At the time, Toyota probably did not plan in regards of powerplant, transmission and it's driveability. I think the concept release alone, basically riled the audience waiting for the release. So Toyota basically rushed throughout the real supra release. Which explains why the news about BMW engine, chassis, trans, headunit, etc. has been disclosed just a few months back (I think). Toyota basically procasinated on a school project and did the assignment carelessly within following the guidelines and/or used the same approach as they did to the previous Supra. That's my observation.
Wasn't the concept shown like 5 years ago? You can develop a whole new vehicle platform in 5 years. What they did here could have been accomplished in a a year and a half, 2 tops.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm To be realistic, I think toyota thought the unthinkable and just debuted the concept. At the time, Toyota probably did not plan in regards of powerplant, transmission and it's driveability. I think the concept release alone, basically riled the audience waiting for the release. So Toyota basically rushed throughout the real supra release. Which explains why the news about BMW engine, chassis, trans, headunit, etc. has been disclosed just a few months back (I think). Toyota basically procasinated on a school project and did the assignment carelessly within following the guidelines and/or used the same approach as they did to the previous Supra. That's my observation.
Wasn't the concept shown like 5 years ago? You can develop a whole new vehicle platform in 5 years. What they did here could have been accomplished in a a year and a half, 2 tops.
They didn't develop anything :doe:

They waited for the Z4 coupe to be finished.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm

:dat: I think you and I see eye to eye on this, while others try to somehow discredit the legacy of the original supra, while saying that the current car has more than enough power etc etc. Which isn't the point... at all. The point is filling the legacy of the original car.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:29 pm https://www.caranddriver.com/archives/t ... ented-test

For you supra haters... just do some reading.
Quicker than an Acura NSX, a Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo, and a Porsche 928GT—a trio of cars that tackle 60 mph in 5.2 seconds. It's quicker, in fact, than stellar strip artists like the Mazda RX-7, the Corvette LT1, and the Nissan 300ZX Turbo, all three of which perform the same trick in five flat.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... pra-turbo/
On paper, the right parts and the right size, but what happens at the track? How about 0.98g around the skidpad, 66.0 mph through the slalom and stopping distances from 60 mph on the order of 120 ft. Like the Supra Turbo's acceleration, its handling and braking prowess are close to the best we've ever seen, regardless of cost.
and cost $50,400
$80,125.50 today.

No doubt it was a good car when it came out, my point is this "LEGENDARY" status came later.
Just adding some perspective.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm
:dat: I think you and I see eye to eye on this, while others try to somehow discredit the legacy of the original supra, while saying that the current car has more than enough power etc etc. Which isn't the point... at all. The point is filling the legacy of the original car.
How the fuck are we agreeing so much? What is going on?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm The c5 is relevant because they sold a fuck ton more. The supra and rx7 are "rare" in the US because people simply didnt buy them.
The C5 came out when the Supra was already cancelled ? They only overlapped for 1 year.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm
Detroit wrote: Wasn't the concept shown like 5 years ago? You can develop a whole new vehicle platform in 5 years. What they did here could have been accomplished in a a year and a half, 2 tops.
They didn't develop anything :doe:

They waited for the Z4 coupe to be finished.
Hasn't the new Z4 been out for a while? I have no idea :doe:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:30 pm Thanks for fucking up my poll whoever did it.

It's actually perfect to describe the new one.
Just another appliance.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm

They procrastinated nothing.

They hyped it all, the internet gobbled it up, BMW and Toyota went to bed, and this is what was born several months later.

It's smaller than an M2, weighs less than an M2, has less power than an M2, and is hopefully razor sharp in terms of handling and dynamics. Is it a bad car? No. But it has big shoes to fill, and better shoes to compete against.

It really shouldn't be named the Supra.
:dat:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm

. Is it a bad car? No. But it has big shoes to fill, and better shoes to compete against.

It really shouldn't be named the Supra.
:like: Finally... this is what I have been trying to communicate.

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm The point is filling the legacy of the original car.
Which I'm arguing takes time to do.

But, as you pointed out, I'm not "In the know"
I know nothing.

:deadhorse:
max225

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm The point is filling the legacy of the original car.

I know nothing.

I am just trying to point out the historical legacy of the nameplate and where it stood when it first came out in 1993. The conversation is about the supra, not your car knowledge.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:36 pm

I know nothing.

I am just trying to point out the historical legacy of the nameplate and where it stood when it first came out in 1993. The conversation is about the supra, not your car knowledge.
Don't forget the toast.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I don't remember ever being heard of that 5 years ago, 3 years maybe :iono: I also figured something else. Toyota (generally) seems to be by using the same powerplants and transmission options for what 10-15 year interval, and they probably realized they "fucked up" because they have to find a new method instead of their traditional approaches on what to do to their vehicles, granted Supra isn't their traditional vehicles of the line up for the last 20 years. Even the Lexus LFA took way way way longer to develop, I'm talking 8 years.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:43 pm
I don't remember ever being heard of that 5 years ago, 3 years maybe :iono: I also figured something else. Toyota (generally) seems to be by using the same powerplants and transmission options for what 10-15 year interval, and they probably realized they "fucked up" because they have to find a new method instead of their traditional approaches on what to do to their vehicles, granted Supra isn't their traditional vehicles of the line up for the last 20 years. Even the Lexus LFA took way way way longer to develop, I'm talking 8 years.
Comparing a LFA to the 2020 Supra is Lunacy, The LFA is automotive royalty, the supra will be forgotten.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:42 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm

Don't forget the toast.

so that's why BMW's tailgate.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm
330 HP was :mindblown: in 1991. The Covette didn't crest that until the LT4 in 1996. Hell, the base Corvette didn't go past 350 until 2005 with the C6.
The LT5 ZR-1 made 375 in 1990.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:43 pm

Comparing a LFA to the 2020 Supra is Lunacy, The LFA is automotive royalty, the supra will be forgotten.
My point isn't comparing that both cars are the same class, the Lexus is also in fact a Toyota but :whocares: But for my understanding, I'm :notsure: whether Jeremy said it's :fakenews: or true, but when they began working on the LFA, and then scrapped it and re-do the damn car, it just goes to show that Toyota tends to be indecisive asf when it comes to making unique and rarer cars, and not your run of the mill corolla, camry, etc. Also that LC500 hybrid (or whatever it is) I remember seeing it's concept in DC auto show back in like 2012-2013?? and just came out last year, therefore ~4-5 years.

Also yes LFA is new, unlike the Supra.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:50 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:46 pm

My point isn't comparing that both cars are the same class, the Lexus is also in fact a Toyota but :whocares: But for my understanding, I'm :notsure: whether Jeremy said it's :fakenews: or true, but when they began working on the LFA, and then scrapped it and re-do the damn car, it just goes to show that Toyota tends to be indecisive asf when it comes to making unique and rarer cars, and not your run of the mill corolla, camry, etc. Also that LC500 hybrid (or whatever it is) I remember seeing it's concept in DC auto show back in like 2012-2013?? and just came out last year, therefore ~4-5 years.
Because they want to make good shit that they do. The 2020 Supra is an abomination, to their approach etc.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:55 pm
330 HP was :mindblown: in 1991. The Covette didn't crest that until the LT4 in 1996. Hell, the base Corvette didn't go past 350 until 2005 with the C6.
It was 385 hp and is a glorious engine, but was like $80-100k in 1990 dollars too. The LT1 vette is more comparable to the turbro Supra, though it was cheaper than the Supra by a lot. IIRC the LT1 cars started under $40k vs the $50k Supra.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

It was 385 hp and is a glorious engine, but was like $80-100k in 1990 dollars too. The LT1 vette is more comparable to the turbro Supra, though it was cheaper than the Supra by a lot. IIRC the LT1 cars started under $40k vs the $50k Supra.

I love C4 ZR1's. :megusta: