2020 Supra-Why I think it is half assed.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

Is the 2020 half assed ?

Yes
35%
No, I placed my order it is AMAZING!
9%
Toaster
57%

Total votes: 23
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:54 pm This was it's sister:

Not exactly a JDM classic.
LUPRA11!!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I like the SC400.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

And another thing. It looks like it was stung by a bunch of bees.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm I like the SC400.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Is that even a car? I'm not sure, could be a toaster.
I know so little.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Actually now that I think about it. This isn't the first time Toyota did this. What about the gt86/frs a toyota that used a Subaru engine, but then again Subaru has the same model. Also while I agree that it needs to be stepped up. The BMW engine vs the previous Supra engine has one thing in common, it is the inline 6 twin turbo. Granted Toyota should make their own, or perhaps twin turbo their NA v6 engines, like from the Camry, Highlander, etc. just a thought, imo. Also why can't they use the current m3 engine if i6 tt was a concern, their note is not far off in similarity to the mk4 gen.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm I like the SC400.
one of my :millennial: youtuber car vloggers swapped a 1jz off of a Japanese Toyota Soarer (aka jdm lexus sc400 i think) and he uses it as his drift car.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:57 pm

But still for it's time, it was a pretty stellar car, even though I partly agree.
It was an overweight GT car.

It was only made stellar by tuna lovers figuring out how stout that legendary lump of iron under the hood truly was - and Toretto's fanbois.

Not that I've ever driven any of them, but from everything I've ever read, if I had been fortunate enough to be in the position to buy one of those Japanese sports cars in the 90s I would have bought the RX-7 in a heartbeat.

Would've taken an R32 over any of them, doe. :jimp:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Nothing wrong with the SC300/400 don't see the H8 for it. Supra was way more powerful though and came with a 6 speed :manuel: and IIRC was actually MORE expensive than the lexus.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The c5 is relevant because they sold a fuck ton more. The supra and rx7 are "rare" in the US because people simply didnt buy them.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm Nothing wrong with the SC300/400 don't see the H8 for it. Supra was way more powerful though and came with a 6 speed :manuel: and IIRC was actually MORE expensive than the lexus.
the lupra actually came with a manuel too. Just stupid rare.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:57 pm

But still for it's time, it was a pretty stellar car, even though I partly agree.
It was an overweight GT car.

It was only made stellar by tuna lovers figuring out how stout that legendary lump of iron under the hood truly was - and Toretto's fanbois.
Yep, in 90's standards, about roughly the same as Murican muscle cars for it's time. heck even :turboyaris: were considered to be heavy in that era.

And yes, first fast and furious made it popular!
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:16 pm Nothing wrong with the SC300/400 don't see the H8 for it. Supra was way more powerful though and came with a 6 speed :manuel: and IIRC was actually MORE expensive than the lexus.
the lupra actually came with a manuel too. Just stupid rare.
I don't think you could get one in the V8, the I6NA for sure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Haha, I kill me.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SC400 had a ~300 hp 1UZ V8, it was only slow because of the ancient slushbox technology of the time.

Most nerds want to swap a turbro 2JZ into a :manuel: SC300, I'd rather swap a :manuel: gearbox into an SC400 with an exhaust. :burnout:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:18 pm
[user not found] wrote:
You know what's a toaster?
if you guys wanna fuck around on netflix for :dicks: content, then watch the tv series Sex Education, this one kids mom is just like the meet the fockers mom, just worse.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm Actually now that I think about it. This isn't the first time Toyota did this. What about the gt86/frs a toyota that used a Subaru engine, but then again Subaru has the same model. Also while I agree that it needs to be stepped up. The BMW engine vs the previous Supra engine has one thing in common, it is the inline 6 twin turbo. Granted Toyota should make their own, or perhaps twin turbo their NA v6 engines, like from the Camry, Highlander, etc. just a thought, imo. Also why can't they use the current m3 engine if i6 tt was a concern, their note is not far off in similarity to the mk4 gen.
At least in that case Toyota developed the chassis, Subaru did the drivetrain...a true collaboration. This time Toyota just took a Z4, slapped some overwrought bodywork on it, reduced the boost targets and sent a car out the door.
ChrisoftheNorth

Anyone watch Hot Rod Garage? They dropped a 2JZ into an old MB SLwhatever they bought at the repo auction for a few grand. Results were :notbad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:13 pm Actually now that I think about it. This isn't the first time Toyota did this. What about the gt86/frs a toyota that used a Subaru engine, but then again Subaru has the same model. Also while I agree that it needs to be stepped up. The BMW engine vs the previous Supra engine has one thing in common, it is the inline 6 twin turbo. Granted Toyota should make their own, or perhaps twin turbo their NA v6 engines, like from the Camry, Highlander, etc. just a thought, imo. Also why can't they use the current m3 engine if i6 tt was a concern, their note is not far off in similarity to the mk4 gen.
At least in that case Toyota developed the chassis, Subaru did the drivetrain...a true collaboration. This time Toyota just took a Z4, slapped some overwrought bodywork on it, reduced the boost targets and sent a car out the door.
Yep! this is worse! Toyota was probably like, ughhhh fine lets make a supra so the audience can shut the fuck up already.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm
Right. So what took so long?

There's no doubt that the hype machine is at play here. Partially blowing up the 4th gen, but also making the new car seem like the end all be all. This must have been one of the longest publicized development cycles ever, NO car could live up to the hype.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm Anyone watch Hot Rod Garage? They dropped a 2JZ into an old MB SLwhatever they bought at the repo auction for a few grand. Results were :notbad:
Linkz?
ChrisoftheNorth

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:20 pm Anyone watch Hot Rod Garage? They dropped a 2JZ into an old MB SLwhatever they bought at the repo auction for a few grand. Results were :notbad:
Linkz?
Gotta pay to watch the whole episode, which I do because I'm :gay: and have a thing for the Roadkill series.

Here's the teaser...
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:21 pm
Right. So what took so long?

There's no doubt that the hype machine is at play here. Partially blowing up the 4th gen, but also making the new car seem like the end all be all. This must have been one of the longest publicized development cycles ever, NO car could live up to the hype.
The hype machine is the downfall of us all.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The NSX was pretty hyped too.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:26 pm The NSX was pretty hyped too.
Big time.

But at least that thing is a tech wonder. It might have missed the mark of the old one, but it's a legitimate :impressive: car.