Mitsubishi Mirage - The Ultimate Modern Day Shitbox

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

As some of you know, I am currently dealing with the saga of owning a nazi branded car and partly due to my derpery :sad: . So the dealer offered me a $35/day rental reimbursement from enterprise. Me having a brilliant idea of getting a rental during Saturday noon (they were about to close), I left with 2 choices. 1) Ford F150 and 2) Mitsubishi Mirage, that it!! F150 was $50/day and considering knowingly I will need the rental for over a week, ending up paying $15 more, plus way more gas, a little bit of inconvenience driving in certain areas, I've settled for the POS.

Enough of the descriptive explanation bullshit and move on to the review.

1st Impressions:
- It legit felt like I got in an early 90's car Suzuki, just like those tiny vans with flat front end. Knowing that it is the base model, the only thing is different from a 90's cars vs. more recent cars is 1) an aux jack 2) Traction Control and 3) a usb port that was installed in a quite ghetto afterthought way, right in the glove compartment.

Driving:
- Ohhhh ohh boy, where do I fucking start?
- First off, how the fuck mitsubishi managed to make a 72 hp car a lot more louder and drony than my GTI? Whenever I floor it, I felt like I could make the engine explode danger to manifold style.
- It is painfully slow, and I can say right off the bat, IT. IS. THE. WORST. CAR. I. HAVE. EVER. DRIVEN.
- The engine block is only slightly bigger than the battery, and the intake is pretty much smaller than the exhaust of the car itself.
- Brakes are pretty much how you expect it, not terrible, they certainly feel like drum brakes, even on the front :notsure:
- It understeers like a mofo in the rain, not terribly, but enough to make the steering vibrate.
- Has 165 tires. :gaydance:
- I feel like I can tip it over if I auto-x it.
- It has hydraulic steering, but it is pretty light (which is expected)
- It's rated mpg is advertised as 38 city/42 hwy, but even for "normal" driving (meaning: barely floored it, tried keeping up with traffic with the compromise of modulating throttle to get that ECO light on, which tells me that I am properly conserving fuel), according to my calculation, it was 29 mpg. :sad:
- passing power on the highway is obviously non-existent.

Weird Shit:
- Car has 38k miles, but the interior dome lights don't work:
- When I only have my phone and sunglasses on the passenger seat, it asks the passenger to buckle up. :wtf:
- I had to ride with the :mahtroy: seating position to get comfortable
- No height adjustment on seating.

It pretty much makes a Corolla feel like a Mercedes.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Is it pink?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 amIs it pink?
Yes. And it has a USB port so its better then a stripped out F-Sport.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Sounds exactly like my dad’s old 2000 Mirage, except his didn’t have that fancy USB in the glove box or an AUX hook up :lol: at least they’re consistent? :iono:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 am As some of you know, I am currently dealing with the saga of owning a nazi branded car and partly due to my derpery :sad: . So the dealer offered me a $35/day rental reimbursement from enterprise. Me having a brilliant idea of getting a rental during Saturday noon (they were about to close), I left with 2 choices. 1) Ford F150 and 2) Mitsubishi Mirage, that it!! F150 was $50/day and considering knowingly I will need the rental for over a week, ending up paying $15 more, plus way more gas, a little bit of inconvenience driving in certain areas, I've settled for the POS.

1st Impressions:
- It legit felt like I got in an early 90's car Suzuki, just like those tiny vans with flat front end. Knowing that it is the base model, the only thing is different from a 90's cars vs. more recent cars is 1) an aux jack 2) Traction Control and 3) a usb port that was installed in a quite ghetto afterthought way, right in the glove compartment.

Driving:
- First off, how the fuck mitsubishi managed to make a 72 hp car a lot more louder and drony than my GTI? Whenever I floor it, I felt like I could make the engine explode danger to manifold style.
- It is painfully slow, and I can say right off the bat, IT. IS. THE. WORST. CAR. I. HAVE. EVER. DRIVEN.
- The engine block is only slightly bigger than the battery, and the intake is pretty much smaller than the exhaust of the car itself.
- Brakes are pretty much how you expect it, not terrible, they certainly feel like drum brakes, even on the front :notsure:
- It understeers like a mofo in the rain, not terribly, but enough to make the steering vibrate.
- It's rated mpg is advertised as 38 city/42 hwy, but even for "normal" driving (meaning: barely floored it, tried keeping up with traffic with the compromise of modulating throttle to get that ECO light on, which tells me that I am properly conserving fuel), according to my calculation, it was 29 mpg. :sad:

Weird Shit:
- When I only have my phone and sunglasses on the passenger seat, it asks the passenger to buckle up. :wtf:

I hate this car with a passion, I have no idea how it is legal and or sold in the US. I was shocked that someone makes it in 2018, and I echo all your comments. This shit can stay with the Axis powers and their pathetic home countries where they belong! This is america
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

38,000 miles on a rental.

:thisisfine: :doomed: :nuke:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The F150 was probably 2.7 or 5.0 which means you would have loved it
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

No balls, ruptured eardrums, wet noodle handling, but hey at least that results in a class-leading 29 MPG.

Wait. That ain't right.

Wow this car is a fucking turd. Is the transmission a CVT in these? I bet with a 5 speed it would be marginally better, certainly more fun to beat the shit out of. I actually love beating the absolute piss out of shitty cars, but man this seems like it has zero redeeming qualities.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 am The F150 was probably 2.7 or 5.0 which means you would have loved it
Fahv-oh F150s haul ass. They are way faster than they need to be.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 amIs it pink?
it can be if you put a red sock in the washing machine, just like the way the engine sounds
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 am The F150 was probably 2.7 or 5.0 which means you would have loved it
I am dying to upgrade for a corolla after this, so yeah :lolol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 am No balls, ruptured eardrums, wet noodle handling, but hey at least that results in a class-leading 29 MPG.

Wait. That ain't right.

Wow this car is a fucking turd. Is the transmission a CVT in these? I bet with a 5 speed it would be marginally better, certainly more fun to beat the shit out of. I actually love beating the absolute piss out of shitty cars, but man this seems like it has zero redeeming qualities.
My GTI is more economical :lol: and yes it's a CVT. 5 Speed would definitely make it better. I've rented a hyundai overseas with the same hp, same size, NA motor and a 6 speed, it was much better in every way. Mirage is JUST a car that takes you to point A to B, and THAT'S IT!!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I demand pics
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:18 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:07 am As some of you know, I am currently dealing with the saga of owning a nazi branded car and partly due to my derpery :sad: . So the dealer offered me a $35/day rental reimbursement from enterprise. Me having a brilliant idea of getting a rental during Saturday noon (they were about to close), I left with 2 choices. 1) Ford F150 and 2) Mitsubishi Mirage, that it!! F150 was $50/day and considering knowingly I will need the rental for over a week, ending up paying $15 more, plus way more gas, a little bit of inconvenience driving in certain areas, I've settled for the POS.

1st Impressions:

Driving:

Weird Shit:

I hate this car with a passion, I have no idea how it is legal and or sold in the US. I was shocked that someone makes it in 2018, and I echo all your comments. This shit can stay with the Axis powers and their pathetic home countries where they belong! This is america
:dat: wholeheartedly. NO ONE in the Land of the Free should deserve to drive a 3rd world shithole country car.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 am
I honestly would love to derp around in a :truk:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:03 am Sounds exactly like my dad’s old 2000 Mirage, except his didn’t have that fancy USB in the glove box or an AUX hook up :lol: at least they’re consistent? :iono:
lol yep, other than styling, they don't update at all. Mitsubishi was obviously more focused on improving the EVO, the Lancer (even though same styling for 10 years now), and perhaps crossovers.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I rented an Outlander recently. It was a basic bitch medium crossover.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:gag: :gag: :gag:
:gag: :disgust: :gag:

BUT - what happened to your :turboyaris: :doe: ???
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

To give credit where credit is due though, that Mirage of my dad's lasted over 400k miles before something like blowing the head gasket and he just didn't want to put money into it. Up til that all it was was basic maintenance and I think he did a suspension refresh around 250k miles :lol:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote::gag: :gag: :gag:
:gag: :disgust: :gag:

BUT - what happened to your :turboyaris: :doe: ???
Engine went boom. Will make a separate thread about it, wasn’t originally planning to make this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 am
Yup 5.0 RCSB in the low 13s off the showroom floor 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Updated pics in 2nd post

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote:To give credit where credit is due though, that Mirage of my dad's lasted over 400k miles before something like blowing the head gasket and he just didn't want to put money into it. Up til that all it was was basic maintenance and I think he did a suspension refresh around 250k miles :lol:
Thats pretty amazing how far it went with minimal
Maintenance, i’d say 400k is more than enough of a run

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 am Fahv-oh F150s haul ass. They are way faster than they need to be.
Yup 5.0 RCSB in the low 13s off the showroom floor ImageImageImageImageImageImage
For those 20 seconds or more, im free