Mitsubishi Mirage - The Ultimate Modern Day Shitbox

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Why don't you get a brand new engine?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Whoa this is really odd ... so you’re getting a used engine with nearly the same miles ... is that like a policy thing ?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am Whoa this is really odd ... so you’re getting a used engine with nearly the same miles ... is that like a policy thing ?
Not odd at all... very common.

“Extended Warranties” are not warranties, but service plans. They may be manufacturer backed but typically underwritten by companies like SafeGuard, Fidelity, etc.

The companies will use OEM parts for regular repairs, but with transmissions, starters, alternators, etc they will go with OEM Reman parts.
With engines, they will always go used - and legally can not install an engine with more miles on it than the car shows. They’ll source engines from third parties like LKQ and CoPart if available, that come with some form of warranty and guarantee. If no used engines are available, then they’ll consider paying out for a new long block, or cap out the contract and cover up to the maximum lifetime payout (with some third party warranties they will only pay out to $10k or so).

I’ve put dozens of used engines and transmissions in cars over the years and never had an issue come up with it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Used engine is fine. Extended warranty so that’s somewhat to be expected I think.

Holy shit tho crank bearing failure Jesus. I don’t believe the oil interval problem. You were well within mfr recs.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 am
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am Whoa this is really odd ... so you’re getting a used engine with nearly the same miles ... is that like a policy thing ?

“Extended Warranties” are not warranties, but service plans. They may be manufacturer backed but typically underwritten by companies like SafeGuard, Fidelity, etc.

The companies will use OEM parts for regular repairs, but with transmissions, starters, alternators, etc they will go with OEM Reman parts.
With engines, they will always go used - and legally can not install an engine with more miles on it than the car shows. They’ll source engines from third parties like LKQ and CoPart if available, that come with some form of warranty and guarantee. If no used engines are available, then they’ll consider paying out for a new long block, or cap out the contract and cover up to the maximum lifetime payout (with some third party warranties they will only pay out to $10k or so).

I’ve put dozens of used engines and transmissions in cars over the years and never had an issue come up with it.
:disgust: while this makes sense, it is also a 57k mile boat anchor driven/serviced by someone else... and fuck this engine blew up at 70k, what makes the other one any more reliable ... i likely would be dumping that Mexican egg at first chance
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm

3600 is not bad for an engine replacement that’s downright cheap ... what did they change post up full deets please
Here's the remainder of the story (I already told about any potential/proven signs regarding about oil):

- I got my car towed to my ideal dealer that I trust more than the dealer I have gotten my car from.
- Since I thought I was out of warranty (followed with the OJ extended warranty ending at 65k miles), I contacted couple shops (one including where I did my APR tune on my mk6) just in case if I end up troywaxing.
- My first call from the SA (during the next day that the problem took place) told me if the extended warranty representative can cover it for possible engine replacement at the time. So since I did not remember about the 100k warranty at the time, you could imagine that I how I felt that may end up paying a shitton of money (hence why I contacted 2 shops, just in case).
- But a couple days later before diagnosing what was the issue, I was in the neighborhood of where my diller was, so I took a visit just to see whats up. Little did I know my car is STILL under warranty and I was literally frozen. Told about whats up on those 2 shops and went on my way.
- That next Friday, it was concluded that the engine will be replaced. Engine came on last Tuesday (4 days later), saw the engine, looked clean, no rust on metal parts. It's from a 2015 with 57k miles, so 11.5k less on my original engine.
- Last Thursday, the swap began.
- Yesterday in late afternoon, got a call saying engine was installed, but SA told me is better to keep the car overnight in case on how it behaves on cold starts. The tech's put 10 miles on the new engine just to test it out.
- Picked her up at noon, engine runs smoother. Feels like nothing had happened, paid $100, engine runs smoother than before from what I remember last time. Only problem was my steering a little off (as expected), but i'm ok with it at this point, will sort it later.
- Like Rudy said earlier when he asked, it was too long on oil interval (i've been doing the same thing I was doing ever since I got my mk6, not once I have ever gotten a warning light/message about it, that car sat 6 weeks TWICE!). But last oil change was 8k miles ago and did it last April, so neither I exceeded a year nor 10k miles. Car sat for over a month during summer cause I visited a shithole country that I call my motherland.
- My driving situation has changed since last early December as I drove on highway almost every day since I got my car. Since I work at home, most of my driving on weekdays consisted on driving only 3-4 miles one way.
This had nothing to do with the “sitting” :wtf: terrible situation man glad you got lucky with that warranty.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:29 am Used engine is fine. Extended warranty so that’s somewhat to be expected I think.

Holy shit tho crank bearing failure Jesus. I don’t believe the oil interval problem. You were well within mfr recs.
Yea that explanation doesn't make any sense. :notsure:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 am

:disgust: while this makes sense, it is also a 57k mile boat anchor driven/serviced by someone else... and fuck this engine blew up at 70k, what makes the other one any more reliable ... i likely would be dumping that Mexican egg at first chance
The other option is that TK pays the difference between the claim amount and the ~$12k a new long block and turbo would have cost.

Considering $100 was his only expense to fix the car, that’s not too bad at all.

There’s 100k GTI motors out there in the world. It’s not like they all pop at 70k, and if this one does, the engine supplier comes in and covers it under warranty.

Used engine suppliers inspect them, compression test them and generally go over them to make sure they’re good to go. You won’t get one pulled from a front end total loss... it’ll be salvage hail car, theft recovery, rear end total, etc. I’ve never had any issues with used engines we’ve sourced... it’s all about making sure a quality supplier is used.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote:
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 pm Here's the remainder of the story (I already told about any potential/proven signs regarding about oil):

- I got my car towed to my ideal dealer that I trust more than the dealer I have gotten my car from.
- Since I thought I was out of warranty (followed with the OJ extended warranty ending at 65k miles), I contacted couple shops (one including where I did my APR tune on my mk6) just in case if I end up troywaxing.
- My first call from the SA (during the next day that the problem took place) told me if the extended warranty representative can cover it for possible engine replacement at the time. So since I did not remember about the 100k warranty at the time, you could imagine that I how I felt that may end up paying a shitton of money (hence why I contacted 2 shops, just in case).
- But a couple days later before diagnosing what was the issue, I was in the neighborhood of where my diller was, so I took a visit just to see whats up. Little did I know my car is STILL under warranty and I was literally frozen. Told about whats up on those 2 shops and went on my way.
- That next Friday, it was concluded that the engine will be replaced. Engine came on last Tuesday (4 days later), saw the engine, looked clean, no rust on metal parts. It's from a 2015 with 57k miles, so 11.5k less on my original engine.
- Last Thursday, the swap began.
- Yesterday in late afternoon, got a call saying engine was installed, but SA told me is better to keep the car overnight in case on how it behaves on cold starts. The tech's put 10 miles on the new engine just to test it out.
- Picked her up at noon, engine runs smoother. Feels like nothing had happened, paid $100, engine runs smoother than before from what I remember last time. Only problem was my steering a little off (as expected), but i'm ok with it at this point, will sort it later.
- Like Rudy said earlier when he asked, it was too long on oil interval (i've been doing the same thing I was doing ever since I got my mk6, not once I have ever gotten a warning light/message about it, that car sat 6 weeks TWICE!). But last oil change was 8k miles ago and did it last April, so neither I exceeded a year nor 10k miles. Car sat for over a month during summer cause I visited a shithole country that I call my motherland.
- My driving situation has changed since last early December as I drove on highway almost every day since I got my car. Since I work at home, most of my driving on weekdays consisted on driving only 3-4 miles one way.
This had nothing to do with the “sitting” :wtf: terrible situation man glad you got lucky with that warranty.
I thought so too about sitting. Just open to possibilities, my uncle told me that since it’s force induction and drive it hard (and I do drive it “hard” from time to time) and change oil on shorter intervals. Johnny is right, but I can also see why people do 5k intervals, its more of a piece of mind kinda thing. Also I checked my oil today, engine still runs smooth for being 57k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote:
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am

The other option is that TK pays the difference between the claim amount and the ~$12k a new long block and turbo would have cost.

Considering $100 was his only expense to fix the car, that’s not too bad at all.

There’s 100k GTI motors out there in the world. It’s not like they all pop at 70k, and if this one does, the engine supplier comes in and covers it under warranty.

Used engine suppliers inspect them, compression test them and generally go over them to make sure they’re good to go. You won’t get one pulled from a front end total loss... it’ll be salvage hail car, theft recovery, rear end total, etc. I’ve never had any issues with used engines we’ve sourced... it’s all about making sure a quality supplier is used.
On last paragraph, thats what i’ve been told and also what I thought in regards of which salvaged car it came from that didn’t damage the front end, therefore also didn’t damage the engine. My SA called me to come by and check the engine upon installation (which was a pretty clean looking btw).

Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote:
fledonfoot wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:26 am Not odd at all... very common.

I was actually close enough to pull a jetta lease as trade in until I knew whats up. But since I don’t have much car payment left on this car, might as well continue to drive it semi-NFG, with warranty still in tact.

max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:54 pm
max225 wrote:
I was actually close enough to pull a jetta lease as trade in until I knew whats up. But since I don’t have much car payment left on this car, might as well continue to drive it semi-NFG, with warranty still in tact.

How long is the warranty on it?
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Up to 100k with original miles, and 7 years total. Almost 3 years left.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Hey Teo....
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/ ... s-of-2018/

Mirage rated as worst vehicle of 2018 by TTAC.

:hubba:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 am Hey Teo....

At least it wins at something
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

They’re not wrong. Not to mention, the article says “you’re better off with a used civic”, that’s exactly my thought! That pos makes a civic feel like a luxury car lol
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am

At least it wins at something
In donald trumps logic, I am. I would love to visit Pleasent, CA one day
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:26 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Up to 100k with original miles, and 7 years total. Almost 3 years left.
Time to :aintcare: and roll in it till it then. But man I think this one in particular shocks me ... my stepmoms Q5 burns around 1 quart every 5k miles which is “pretty normal” but it would suck for it to Grenade like this for no reason