Mitsubishi Mirage - The Ultimate Modern Day Shitbox

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 pm This is terrible though. Another blown gti engine on this forum... that’s like 3 :mindblown: with all this shit given to bmws ... none blew up
Who is the other one? I assume :crang: is one of the 3.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:53 am
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:49 pm This is terrible though. Another blown gti engine on this forum... that’s like 3 :mindblown: with all this shit given to bmws ... none blew up
V reliable af
Get over it.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:22 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:53 am

V reliable af
Get over it.
:nope:
60k is where my car self destructed :popcorn:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Davestr's engine blew up
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am

Davestr's engine blew up
So Dave's issue was a spark plug that self destructed and banged around in the cylinder.
:crang: was stage 1 2.4 and was the victim of :dolphin: wrench dropping and shitty :dillerman: antics.
We still don't have the full story of TK's issue.
wap

Get over it.
:nope:
60k is where my car self destructed :popcorn:
At 64k now. About to take a 400 mile road trip next weekend. :popcorn:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:16 am

That's a $1500 service on a $6K car Ron.
:wat:
It was $650 :bruh:

It's 8 years old next month and I plan on keeping it for a few more years. It's been damn good to me overall and this was not an excessive amount to pay, imo.

BTW, I also had them check my water pump and it passed a pressure test. :fuckyeah:
What did this service include ? Oil plus carbon cleaning and air filters ?
max225

Davestr's engine blew up
:dat:
A Top gun, Jew and a Turk walk into a vw :dillerman: rape palace ... which one will get fucked ?!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am

Davestr's engine blew up
A Top gun, Jew and a Turk walk into a vw :dillerman: rape palace ... which one will get fucked ?!
Hint: Not Top Gun
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am
wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:20 am

:wat:
It was $650 :bruh:

It's 8 years old next month and I plan on keeping it for a few more years. It's been damn good to me overall and this was not an excessive amount to pay, imo.

BTW, I also had them check my water pump and it passed a pressure test. :fuckyeah:
Oil, plugs, air, oil, pollen and cabin filters, fluid top off, tar rotation, minor sunroof fix, alignment check, previously mentioned cooling system pressure test, and that supposed carbon cleaning, wash and loaner.
max225

wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:42 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am
Oil, plugs, air, oil, pollen and cabin filters, fluid top off, tar rotation, minor sunroof fix, alignment check, previously mentioned cooling system pressure test, and that supposed carbon cleaning, wash and loaner.
I see, carbon cleaning is pricy. Everything else id DIY for about $75. Nice to not deal with it :doe:
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:44 pm
wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:42 pm
I see, carbon cleaning is pricy. Everything else id DIY for about $75. Nice to not deal with it :doe:
You'd DIY a cooling system pressure test and alignment check?

Again, it was chemical carbon cleaning so who knows, though, as I mentioned, my butt dyno noticed some improvement in driveabliity and higher rpm pulls, but that may have had as much to do with new plugs as the "cleaning" so I'm probably :wrong: . But 10 minutes to check in, free loaner, shitty car wash, and 15 minutes to swap cars at the end of the day is worth it to me.
max225

wap wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Again, it was chemical carbon cleaning so who knows, though, as I mentioned, my butt dyno noticed some improvement in driveabliity and higher rpm pulls, but that may have had as much to do with new plugs as the "cleaning" so I'm probably :wrong: . But 10 minutes to check in, free loaner, shitty car wash, and 15 minutes to swap cars at the end of the day is worth it to me.
Chemical carbon cleaner ?! :wtf: is that ? I thought it had to be walnut blasted
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Davestr's engine blew up
Yes. 12 GTi - ignition misfire, sparkplug electrode wasted the #4 cyl.
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Chemical carbon cleaner ?! :wtf: is that ? I thought it had to be walnut blasted
:iono: It's not Seafoam :doe:
More like a carbon treatment, to mitigate buildup is what I surmise. I didn't have any issues before but it seems to run better now. :iono:
Davestr

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:50 am
max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am

Hint: Not Top Gun
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL you are so generous lol :)
max225

Spark plugs help with that tho...

Interesting ... my stepmoms q5 is at 90k miles with no carboner cleaning and I think she runs it on regular a fair amount ... wonder when that thing will implode
Davestr

Good to hear the car is treating you well and running good. :like: :like: :like: I know you like the car and that trend continues until you need to :plac:
wap

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:58 pm Spark plugs help with that tho...

Interesting ... my stepmoms q5 is at 90k miles with no carboner cleaning and I think she runs it on regular a fair amount ... wonder when that thing will implode
As I said previously...

It is running stronger doe. I'm lighting up the traction control light with strong pulls with regularity now. :like:

I bet your s.moms car needs a cleaning and she just doesn't notice the gradual decrease in powah.

My next big test will be on a little road trip I take in a couple days to see if mileage is any better than before.
wap

Davestr wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:00 pm

Good to hear the car is treating you well and running good. :like: :like: :like: I know you like the car and that trend continues until you need to :plac:
Thanks Herr Dave! :)
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:37 am Davestr's engine blew up
I didn’t :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote:

Davestr's engine blew up
So Dave's issue was a spark plug that self destructed and banged around in the cylinder.
:crang: was stage 1 2.4 and was the victim of :dolphin: wrench dropping and shitty :dillerman: antics.
I got my invoice and will put sometime tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired i’ll get home. Not tuned, 0 engine mods whatsoever.

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm
wap wrote:
I got my invoice and will put sometime tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired i’ll get home. Not tuned, 0 engine mods whatsoever.

3600 is not bad for an engine replacement that’s downright cheap ... what did they change post up full deets please
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:09 pm

3600 is not bad for an engine replacement that’s downright cheap ... what did they change post up full deets please
Here's the remainder of the story (I already told about any potential/proven signs regarding about oil):

- I got my car towed to my ideal dealer that I trust more than the dealer I have gotten my car from.
- Since I thought I was out of warranty (followed with the OJ extended warranty ending at 65k miles), I contacted couple shops (one including where I did my APR tune on my mk6) just in case if I end up troywaxing.
- My first call from the SA (during the next day that the problem took place) told me if the extended warranty representative can cover it for possible engine replacement at the time. So since I did not remember about the 100k warranty at the time, you could imagine that I how I felt that may end up paying a shitton of money (hence why I contacted 2 shops, just in case).
- But a couple days later before diagnosing what was the issue, I was in the neighborhood of where my diller was, so I took a visit just to see whats up. Little did I know my car is STILL under warranty and I was literally frozen. Told about whats up on those 2 shops and went on my way.
- That next Friday, it was concluded that the engine will be replaced. Engine came on last Tuesday (4 days later), saw the engine, looked clean, no rust on metal parts. It's from a 2015 with 57k miles, so 11.5k less on my original engine.
- Last Thursday, the swap began.
- Yesterday in late afternoon, got a call saying engine was installed, but SA told me is better to keep the car overnight in case on how it behaves on cold starts. The tech's put 10 miles on the new engine just to test it out.
- Picked her up at noon, engine runs smoother. Feels like nothing had happened, paid $100, engine runs smoother than before from what I remember last time. Only problem was my steering a little off (as expected), but i'm ok with it at this point, will sort it later.
- Like Rudy said earlier when he asked, it was too long on oil interval (i've been doing the same thing I was doing ever since I got my mk6, not once I have ever gotten a warning light/message about it, that car sat 6 weeks TWICE!). But last oil change was 8k miles ago and did it last April, so neither I exceeded a year nor 10k miles. Car sat for over a month during summer cause I visited a shithole country that I call my motherland.
- My driving situation has changed since last early December as I drove on highway almost every day since I got my car. Since I work at home, most of my driving on weekdays consisted on driving only 3-4 miles one way.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin