The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Hi DFD.

After much tire kicking which will obviously continue, the time to purchase a new car has arrived.

I have accepted a new job where I will be traveling much less and I will now be commuting daily. The commute will be long, 30ish miles each way depending on route. Traffic may blow but I'll likely be working 10-7 or so due to it being a sales role serving the Western States, so it should only take 35 minutes during the hours I'll need to be on the road. The pay has a commission element to it, so overall salary is somewhat TBD, but the base is equivalent to my current salary, and the total target is about 70% higher than my current pay. We shall see how this works out, but I'm confident it will be a significant bump even if I don't quite hit that number.

As such, I am going to treat myself to not commuting in the diff whining, anus shattering, premium fuel hogging :poorvette: . My current plan is to keep the C5 as a fun car for track days, TOTD trips, etc. I may wind up selling it at some point in favor of something more track prepped, but due to its relatively low value now, it seems like just keeping it and having fun with it is the way to go. Insurance on it is dirt cheap and will likely be near a wash with a multi car discount and it's really cheap to maintain other than tires, which is entirely use based.

So this leads me to a new daily. :truk: :truk: :truk: :truk: !!!!!

But no. I'm hoping for something fun, relatively usable not only for driving to work but also for weekend trips with the gf, as it would be nice to not always take her car (Ford Fusion). Definitely needs to be fuel efficient as 60+ miles/day will add up quickly. Reliability is also a big benefit here, I would rather spend time fucking with the Corvette, track mods, than wrenching on a DD, but I'm sure I'll end up doing most maintenance myself, as I do, because scrooge. I would also like a manual transmission... because.

Right now I'm leaning towards hot hatches, they make nice dailies, don't hog fuel and are pleasant and usable enough. My front runner is a Fiesta ST. They're cheap, really fun, get great gas mileage. It is a little low rent but I think that's not the end of the world. Obviously another GTI makes the consideration list, a Civic Si, and perhaps the new Veloster N, not sure when those launch. Am I missing anything? Another option would just be getting an NC Miata or something NFG, but probably a bad idea.

So... tell me about how I'm :wrong: !
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I vote :gti: MK7 obviously ruined the car and you should get a MK6
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

VW is running sweet :dill: 's on used TDI's that have been made EPA compliant. They sip fuel and are pretty fun to drive with all the torques.

The Fiesta ST is a hard package to beat though.

If we are considering used... fiat 500 abarth is a HOOT, but vv small.
Used mazda 3 hatch check all your boxes and won't make you hate life.
If keeping running costs low is a concern a volt has to be on the list IMHO.

Whatever you do...get a 4 door.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

GTI. 2017 Sport or a 2018 through [user not found] :dill: with 6/72,000 bumper to bumper warranty.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Yea, in that situation I'd be seriously considering a GTI or a Golf Wagon whatever it's called. You'll already have a great fun car, might as well get something more comfortable and utilitarian.

A Golf Alltrack would be sweet since I know you guys like outdoors stuff, it could lend itself well to softroading AND you can get a :manuel: IIRC.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also, Ferd sux.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 amAlso, Ferd sux.
:koolaid:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I think that's all there is, good luck with the new GTI. Get the 2018 soon to be discounted and have the better warranty
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 am I think that's all there is, good luck with the new GTI. Get the 2018 soon to be discounted and have the better warranty
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:43 amAlso, Ferd sux.
:fax:
:dat:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The yellow that comes in the ST is :fap: but i wouldn't trade it for the superior interior and warranty
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

My MKV Gti was awesome. Only car I've ever bought new. I'll never do it again but I don't regret it. The space was awesome, the power was awesome (With APR Stage 1 tune for just $600), and the gas mileage was good. I got mine in '08 when the gas crunch hit and my 4.3 Blazer sucked down gas. The GTI with the tune got 22mpg in the city and about 28 on the highway. I wanted something quick and somewhat fuel efficient. All the stuff that was way better on gas was way slower so I wanted something in the middle ground for good gas mileage and sporty fun. Down here there's no good roads so raw power is usually where the fun is.

I think you're in the right ballpark looking for a hatch. It's really the best of a lot of worlds. I had a 2dr and sometimes wished I had a 4dr just to be able to open the back door and throw shit in it easier, but I used the hatch space a LOT. The only problem I had with the 2d was that the door was :yuge: and would literally open nearly 80°.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Velobster R-spec in bright ass orange for the full lobster experience. Same power and weight as the Fiesta ST but it runs on 87 and has independent rear suspension and better ergonomics. Don't they have a 10 yr 100k warranty too?
Last edited by troyguitar on Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

DSGay Egg.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Call me stupid and not an enthusiast but I wouldn't be looking forward to 60 miles a day on the highway in a FiST. You already have a fun car that's loud and rough why get another.

GTI is a better option IMO.
Mazda 3 hatch with the 2.5 will have lower running cost, takes donkey piss, and handle similar but slower. I think they're decent. Loud though. And not exactly "fun" so maybe pass? Could be worth a look I guess. I'd think a Civic Si would be more fun though. IMO the 6 is the better car in the Mazda lineup.
ATS 2.0T/MT - Are these reliable? Some issue with the 2.0T from what I remember?
New GTI money = CPO Audi A4 or used S4, both can be had with MT, just food for thought

Hm, yeah I'd probably say GTI vs Si vs Mazda 6.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

So, civic sport not even si. That’s my vote but I’m :wrong: you can go with an egg but premium + a fair bit more esspensive
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

You know the answer, go forth and :plac:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:32 am So, civic sport not even si. That’s my vote but I’m :wrong: you can go with an egg but premium + a fair bit more esspensive
This is really not a bad option, but I think if he wants more "fun" and is considering a FiST off the bat, the Civic Sport will likely fall short of what he wants? Never driven one so I have no dog in that fight.

Worth checking out though. I think the hatch is the best version of the Civic. 1.5T makes some power, 6MT can be upgraded with Si/R shifter tower for cheap to make it sublime, 87 octane donkey piss, heard there's rev hang so that kind of blows, very likely better resale, IMO it looks good.

:iono:

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am You know the answer, go forth and :plac:
But is it really a :plac: if he does not sell the :poorvette: ?
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I think a Civic Si would be worth a drive, perhaps, but the GTI gets my vote too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

oh plac
brain go brrrrrr
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

I drive a manual MK7 GTI Sport 100-110 miles a day with a decent amount of highway usage. It's a perfect highway commuter, does well on fuel and gets me right around 32MPG. The MK7 is incredibly well composed on the highway and soaks up miles no problem.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am I drive a manual MK7 GTI Sport 100-110 miles a day with a decent amount of highway usage. It's a perfect highway commuter, does well on fuel and gets me right around 32MPG. The MK7 is incredibly well composed on the highway and soaks up miles no problem.
:dat: is really probably the best call. It's what the GTI was made to do.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:46 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am You know the answer, go forth and :plac:
But is it really a :plac: if he does not sell the :poorvette: ?
Technically an n+1
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:48 am GTI gets my vote. Those cars are great commuters/highway bruisers. 6 year 72k warranty, and you've got an SCCA membershit, right?

Come buy from me and have an epic road trip home.
:dillerman: