The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:30 pm Not that it really matters, but the Si is heavier and slower. The LSD and quicker steering rack probably more than make up for the difference :doe:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/20 ... est-review

A full second slower for the Si in real-world 5-60 mph might make a difference? :iono:

It's actually about as quick at legal speeds as the :manuel: :turboyaris: which seems :notbad: plus 400 lbs lighter.

:ohdang:

I could've sworn I looked up the Veloster and it was 3,100 pounds. :wrong:

Si: CURB WEIGHT: 2911 lb
Lobster: CURB WEIGHT: 2816 lb

Well, shit.

As for the speed, I will contest there, I drove the Si, it ain't fast. But I don't really care about that, everything being discussed here is a slow turd compared to a :poorvette: but also plenty quick enough for daily driving.

Interestingly, I think the ergonomics of the Si were the real reason I liked it so much. It feels more like sitting inside of a car whereas most things feel like sitting on a car.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, a good seating position is important - and very rare these days, even in sports cars, because most people just want to sit as high up as possible. :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 am Man, i was looking for the :poorvette: passenger experience, but still congrats on the si. I hope i can test drive it when you visit :lol:
Well, if I came up for a driving thing/track day at Summit Point, I'd still take the :poorvette: .
Lemme check facetoob for events there
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Only 3 more :notbad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 pm I'm Team Griff on this one. Fuck the Velobster. :trollface:

Will be a great DD.
:wrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:53 pm Only 3 more :notbad:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I probably have to wait until next year due to my tires being fucked.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I love the Civic Si man, it's a great commuter car with some character.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

+10 points for bloo
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 pm I love the Civic Si man, it's a great commuter car with some character.
:mahtroy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 pm I'm Team Griff on this one. Fuck the Velobster. :trollface:

Will be a great DD.
:mahtroy:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am I am actually a bit bummed you were so fast to pull the trigger on this... I was curious about the slanted H and all.
Well, the car doesn't exist... so that's the main thing.

But, the Civic is:

-lighter
-has LSD
-better resale
-more usable car
-I just really liked driving it, it felt "right" to me

:dillerman: wouldn't get me the car and there weren't even any :manuel: Velosters anywhere near me to try out.

I didn't want this to be a six month thing, I start this job in a week and a half and I'll be on the road leading up to that point.
:well: for the pics when it shows up. :fuckyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:52 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:42 am I am actually a bit bummed you were so fast to pull the trigger on this... I was curious about the slanted H and all.
not all of us hate ourselves so much that we agonize over trivial life decisions for 6 months.
:sweaty: :sweaty: :sweaty:
:sweaty: :triggered: :sweaty:
:sweaty: :sweaty: :sweaty:
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:30 pm Not that it really matters, but the Si is heavier and slower. The LSD and quicker steering rack probably more than make up for the difference :doe:

A full second slower for the Si in real-world 5-60 mph might make a difference? :iono:

It's actually about as quick at legal speeds as the :manuel: :turboyaris: which seems :notbad: plus 400 lbs lighter.

Well, shit.

As for the speed, I will contest there, I drove the Si, it ain't fast. But I don't really care about that, everything being discussed here is a slow turd compared to a :poorvette: but also plenty quick enough for daily driving.

Interestingly, I think the ergonomics of the Si were the real reason I liked it so much. It feels more like sitting inside of a car whereas most things feel like sitting on a car.
Quick Q, does it run on premium? Also what are the differences between the SI and the "sport" motor, same displacement etc. I wonder if the SI gets the extra 19hp from the tune for premiumz.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:50 pm Yeah, a good seating position is important - and very rare these days, even in sports cars, because most people just want to sit as high up as possible. :disgust:
Seating position was the main reason I was never totally happy with the STi. You sit way too high in those cars...every Subaru, really, there's jack shit for headroom because of it despite being fairly short. Aftermarket seat options that wouldn't have looked cheap as hell and/or completely boy racer were total :waxer: and I was not willing to spend that kind of money for just seats.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Well, shit.

Quick Q, does it run on premium? Also what are the differences between the SI and the "sport" motor, same displacement etc. I wonder if the SI gets the extra 19hp from the tune for premiumz.
Regular is spec'd, premium "recommended". Whatever that means, unlike a MK6 GTI where premium was "required" but really you could run regular for a performance downgrade/MPG downgrade. I'll likely try both and report back but will likely just roll with the donkey piss for $.7 less per gallon.

Differences off the top of my head:

-better t00n/25 moar powah
-bigger brakes
-two mode drive system with sport mode (alleged damper tuning and quicker steering)
-limited slip differential
-way better seats
-better interior with nicer, larger screen and shit
-bigger sway bars
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Any stock car on stock tune will run on regular. Moran OEM engineers know that smart buyers will ignore the requirements and run regular. The warranty claims would be huge if premium was for real required like it is in modified vehicles.

The Si power bump could very likely only come from running premium.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

While I enjoyed driving the Sport in both manual and continuously variable automatic forms, which will cost you an additional $800, the Si still boasts a clear mechanical superiority: It pulls more power from the 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, bumping output to 205 horsepower and 192 pounds-feet of torque thanks to a larger turbocharger;
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm While I enjoyed driving the Sport in both manual and continuously variable automatic forms, which will cost you an additional $800, the Si still boasts a clear mechanical superiority: It pulls more power from the 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, bumping output to 205 horsepower and 192 pounds-feet of torque thanks to a larger turbocharger;
K04 lyfe
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:sad: ly, this...

Note, this isn’t the case for all options. The 2018 Volkswagen Golf R, a performance hatchback, still requires premium fuel in order to run efficiently. The risk you have when using the wrong fuel in any vehicle is engine knock.

Credit to these gays:
https://www.firstteamvw.com/blog/what-k ... odels-use/
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:38 pm While I enjoyed driving the Sport in both manual and continuously variable automatic forms, which will cost you an additional $800, the Si still boasts a clear mechanical superiority: It pulls more power from the 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, bumping output to 205 horsepower and 192 pounds-feet of torque thanks to a larger turbocharger;
:fuckyeah:

Clearly I'm an informed buyer.

Maybe this means I can t00n, but likely won't. Stock is 20 PSI. It also features a digital boost gauge, no idea if the Sport has it or not.

To be honest, I sat in the Sport and the seats alone were enough to make me know I'd go Si.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:33 pm Any stock car on stock tune will run on regular. Moran OEM engineers know that smart buyers will ignore the requirements and run regular. The warranty claims would be huge if premium was for real required like it is in modified vehicles.

This is true, however they still claim that it's required or recommended. The inside of the fuel door on the Si says "unleaded fuel only", nothing about 91 octane.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:33 pm Any stock car on stock tune will run on regular. Moran OEM engineers know that smart buyers will ignore the requirements and run regular. The warranty claims would be huge if premium was for real required like it is in modified vehicles.

This is true, however they still claim that it's required or recommended. The inside of the fuel door on the Si says "unleaded fuel only", nothing about 91 octane.
Well sure, it's recommended/required to get the rated HP. But the engine won't :nuke: if you dump 87 in it. I ran 87 in my GTIs and ATS frequently. Less performance, but they ran just fine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:05 pm :sad: ly, this...

Note, this isn’t the case for all options. The 2018 Volkswagen Golf R, a performance hatchback, still requires premium fuel in order to run efficiently. The risk you have when using the wrong fuel in any vehicle is engine knock.

Credit to these gays:
https://www.firstteamvw.com/blog/what-k ... odels-use/
:like:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Well sure, it's recommended/required to get the rated HP. But the engine won't :nuke: if you dump 87 in it. I ran 87 in my GTIs and ATS frequently. Less performance, but they ran just fine.
The flyover beatdown for 93 continues to amaze me. :deadhorse:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Its sorta funny here in cali... $3.55 regular $3.70 for premium the spread is frequently less than 30 cents or ~5% of the total, in the midwest that shit is up to 40% of the cost of the fuel. :mindblown: