The time has come to join the Placidemic of 2018

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

I would suspect it will... but the awareness thing is key. Even the :dillerman: doesn't know, pretty interesting marketing fail. I have been chatting with them and they were basically like "come in and try out a TurBRO, it's the same thing and we don't have an R-Spec".

But nonetheless, "enthusiast" spec always holds value better. Getting something with a :manuel: and a color pretty much gaurantees 25% higher value five+ years later.

But the Fiesta ST has been discussed by the press so much already, I think it's safe to say it will maintain a following and some value. They currently go for like 75% of MSPR with 50k miles, which is good, and you can still go buy a new one. The Civics will also be pretty strong I'm sure, unless people are starting to lose interest in Honda as a brand, possible since they don't make :truk: .

Even the GTI is probably fine if bought used. It seems like my MK6 would be worth like $10-12k today which is :mindblown: because I sold it for $15k 4.5 years ago. So $3500/year for the first three years, then only $1k/year after that. I just don't know if I can do a GTI again when I already had one. Lightly used it would be the best commuter.
I mean value wise you got it down, it'll be anyone's bet to be honest. The cars you're discussing are all "cheap" to own at their respective price points. Civic will be cheapest due to cheapest price+regular, but it also will be the slowest. So it comes with a compromise. The GTI will be the most expensive to maintain (relatively speaking) but it is still cheap compared to anything else.

I say just drive the 3 back to back and pick the one you like the most as the $$$ in this equation is pretty much equal. All 3 vehicles are only ~$50-100 apart on a monthly basis tops, which is basically nothing in the larger scheme of automotive waste.
:word: True, good advice.

I've been thinking today about "nicer" options like used M235i, Cayman, EcoBoost Mustang. They all have similar buy-ins but likely higher fuel costs, maintenance. Interestingly the Cayman may be the cheapest to own... unless you roll the dice wrong and boom, you're fucked.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:46 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:43 pm

I mean value wise you got it down, it'll be anyone's bet to be honest. The cars you're discussing are all "cheap" to own at their respective price points. Civic will be cheapest due to cheapest price+regular, but it also will be the slowest. So it comes with a compromise. The GTI will be the most expensive to maintain (relatively speaking) but it is still cheap compared to anything else.

I say just drive the 3 back to back and pick the one you like the most as the $$$ in this equation is pretty much equal. All 3 vehicles are only ~$50-100 apart on a monthly basis tops, which is basically nothing in the larger scheme of automotive waste.
:word: True, good advice.

I've been thinking today about "nicer" options like used M235i, Cayman, EcoBoost Mustang. They all have similar buy-ins but likely higher fuel costs, maintenance. Interestingly the Cayman may be the cheapest to own... unless you roll the dice wrong and boom, you're fucked.
For Cayman you'd be getting a very OLD car compared to new/nearly new, completely different ball game. You're also trying put a lot of miles on the vehicle. IMO a cayman is out of the question for your purpose.

235i... well up to you, same with rustang. That's a whole different ball game at that point. They are a different type of vehicle IMO very difficult to cross shop.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:So I had a :fullretard: Detroit idea....

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... CMP=stemp2
Whoa. I've seen a few under $20k but none anywhere near that cheap. :impressive: :doit:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

No way to test drive one of these without getting a flight though... :disgust:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:No way to test drive one of these without getting a flight though... :disgust:
It's just a 2.0T camero with windows and a trunk.

New camero is also a good option if you don't care about seeing anything:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... lCode1=CAM
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am So I had a :fullretard: Detroit idea....

It is a great car.... but i dunno mang. Might as well get a 328i?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:15 am So I had a :fullretard: Detroit idea....

Used, this should be way more reliable than a BMW in the long run.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Used, this should be way more reliable than a BMW in the long run.
Would it? The 328 is relatively decent. Neither crossed over 100k on the regular, but both last to 100k without much trouble
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Hmmm, didn't realize these were so cheap.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

What's the title situation like on that ATS? Clean, rebuilt, or salvage?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sooo... now I really want this :lolol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283156331953
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 pm

Hmmm, didn't realize these were so cheap.

Yep they are dirt cheap, because no one wants sedans and they are a dime a dozen coming off lease. They would work well as a commuter for you as well, as that car gets same MPG as a GTI or better. But I'd have a tough time picking the :manuel: over the automatic. That auto is better than my twin clutch mess.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 328i will likely be less "fun" than a ATS or GTI.

Didn't ATS have mondo engine problems with the 2.0T first few years of production? Like pistons cracking or some shit?
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm Sooo... now I really want this :lolol:

Honestly... Other than being "slow" I see no issue with that car. Get one in blue with M sport and you'll have the "Enthusiast spec" that will be worth more on resale. However a blue M sport commands a huge upcharge in the CPO/Used market right now... 5-10k more than a white on beige 328i from a similar year/miles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 pm I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 328i will likely be less "fun" than a ATS or GTI.

Didn't ATS have mondo engine problems with the 2.0T first few years of production? Like pistons cracking or some shit?
Fiesta ST will likely be most fun.

I wonder, in three years, if the ST or the bloo M Sport :manuel: will be worth more. They're about the same price today.The Fiesta will probably hold value better. I have always wanted a BMW though.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar

D Griff wrote:Or dat "enthusiast special" https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... P=atempest
Whoa. RWD :manuel: with sport package? :unicorn:

I have never seen that full combo. $20k is probably fair for that, with zero future depreciation.

Other :fullretard: thought: How cheap is a 556 hp CTS-V now? Coupe or sedan obviously, the wagons are still $50k.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 pm Or dat "enthusiast special" https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... P=atempest
:neat:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:45 pm I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the 328i will likely be less "fun" than a ATS or GTI.

Fiesta ST will likely be most fun.

I wonder, in three years, if the ST or the bloo M Sport :manuel: will be worth more. They're about the same price today.The Fiesta will probably hold value better. I have always wanted a BMW though.
Agree FiST will provide the most lolz. It should also be cheaper upkeep. The F30's seem reliable overall but if issues pop up they'll cost more to fix. F30 is a nicer car though, way nicer to sit in.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 pm Sooo... now I really want this :lolol:

Wow! Im impressed big time. Not a bad way to commute. :like: :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:03 pm
D Griff wrote:Or dat "enthusiast special" https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... P=atempest
Whoa. RWD :manuel: with sport package? :unicorn:

I have never seen that full combo. $20k is probably fair for that, with zero future depreciation.

Other :fullretard: thought: How cheap is a 556 hp CTS-V now? Coupe or sedan obviously, the wagons are still $50k.
That would be awesome... but it's gotta be expensive to commute 60+ miles a day in that with fuel and tires.
Johnny_P

This is progressing nicely. Next we'll be talking E92 M3's. And then give it all up and keep the Vette and go back to Civic hatch talk.

:spinulator:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:59 pm Or dat "enthusiast special" https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... P=atempest
I am :triggered: every time i see those fucktarded overpriced wagons THERE IS NOTHING GREAT ABOUT A FUCKING WAGON. It is the same car with just 200lb sitting on the ass, NOTHING makes it worth 2-3x the average other vehicle of the same shape with a trunk.

No you're not going to load it up with a bunch of useless garbage and parade it around.

this retarded "rare" therefore good logic has got to end somewhere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:01 pm This is progressing nicely. Next we'll be talking E92 M3's. And then give it all up and keep the Vette and go back to Civic hatch talk.

:spinulator:
:dat:

In my defense, I've kind of been in the $20-25k area all along, other than the Type R, which I do want, but am def not going to pay for.