Need DFD's help narrowing which Miata is right for my situation

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Looks pretty decent. The hard tops are definitely valuable and pretty useful if you ever decide to take it to the track, you'll skip a lot of shenanigans regarding broom sticks.

I bought a $2,000 Miata back in 2012 I think it was. It'll definitely require some TLC but you're obviously skilled and well equipped for air boating and they're simple to work on. I think the Torsen diffs last 200k+ miles no problem so that's a definite plus as well if it is equipped as such.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:54 am Currently, I'm looking at this '95. 199K miles, 1.8, 5 speed, believe it's LSD. Hardtop.
Overall, it's in ok shape. I can probably make the paint pop a bit from some detail work. There's a few dings, no biggie. One of the rear quarter panels is a little off, little bit of rust on pieces like the window edge seals and windshield wipers. Engine bay could use a good cleaning. Seats were just redone with new vinyl, they fixed one of the headlights, new radiator fans. 3/4 new brake cylinders. Steering wheel is ratty, but the interior is really not too bad. The new seat covers helps the look.
I've got him down to $3K. When I look at it, it's definitely a $2,000 car and no more, so I think that 3K with the hardtop is reasonable. It's stock, so it might be a fun project to clean up from scratch and slowly build it up with the wife. Also it should be OBD1, but like Eric said this weekend at the autocross, there's a slight chance that it's OBD2 because I have no idea where in the 95 year it came out.

I think I might buy a used 1.8 motor on the side and rebuilt it with the wife. New seals and all that shit, replace all the hoses.... Get it up to speed and then work on getting tires and shocks and racing it in E-Street for a bit, then start working on power adders and built suspension.

It's definitely a 10-15ft car. It doesn't look super great up close, but the pics look cleaner than reality. Some TLC and I can get it looking decent. Might just clean it and wrap it.

buy that at 3k, NOW.

:jelly:

steering wheel is easy fix. 95 MY = obd1 there is no mid year update on the NA miata.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yep, get an NB wheel if you want to keep the airbag or whatever wheel you want if not. Looks like a great car at $3k.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

FWIW I had the exact MOMO that's now in my C5 in my NA originally and the installation is much less of a pain the ass, but I think it removes you from street class in autox (or did at least).
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

You can do a wheelskin on an NA and it feels vv nice and looks 95% oem
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I think I'm gonna jump on the white one at the end of the week. Ran into him at the shop when I went to get the Vin number for insurance.(the z06 is at the same shop). He's got extra shit out the ass and will throw in a working good 1.8 with a gasket rebuild kit for $100. So I'm gonna take that to the side and clean it up, deck it to do the compression trick that apparently is the bees knees, and then possibly daily it for a little while
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm I think I'm gonna jump on the white one at the end of the week. Ran into him at the shop when I went to get the Vin number for insurance.(the z06 is at the same shop). He's got extra shit out the ass and will throw in a working good 1.8 with a gasket rebuild kit for $100. So I'm gonna take that to the side and clean it up, deck it to do the compression trick that apparently is the bees knees, and then possibly daily it for a little while
:fuckyeah:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:yesth: :yesth: :yesth: and :yesth:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The car sans top is almost the price of a set of wheels for the Zet. Nice find, hope it's a decent vehicle for y'all.
Acid666

He had 3 1.8 Blocks. One with a bad bottom end, one with a bad top end, and one good one that he bought the gasket kit for.
So he's looking to clear out some shop space and offered that good motor and gasket kit FO CHEAP!
He's also got some other rims and tires but they're Toyos and I have zero need for track tires right now. The first thing I'm gonna look at is some rims to fit the widest Rivals it can without rolling the fenders. I just need to do some more research on go to rim widths.

What might happen is me and :melon: CAM it up, and when he E30s it up I NA8 it up and we can have some comparable fun. He'll be in STX I think and I'm gonna start the car out in ES and move to STS or whichever it needs to be.
Looked at some rebuild kits last night and I'm really interested in doing a major boost setup with the oem motor so I don't need to deal with kits to accept other motors. It'll be fun to work on building a little side race car.

When I talked to him yesterday, he said the clutch was new. I only thought it was the master cylinder, slave, 3 of the 4 brake cylinders and a few other parts.
So new clutch is nice
Last edited by Acid666 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 am The car sans top is almost the price of a set of wheels for the Zet. Nice find, hope it's a decent vehicle for y'all.
Yeah that's how I came up with my price. Take the top off of it and it's a $2K car. I compared all the other 2K cars against this one and I'm ok with its condition.
Its better looking in the pics. There's a few misalignments here and there, and it needs a lot of small little details. But shit, parts are so cheap that I don't mind cleaning it up. And with the Z06 being nearly done after I get the tune done, and my debts cleared out from selling the bike, I'll be able to easily drop a few hundred or more on this a month for fun.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The Borbets on the E30 might fit the Miata. I'll have to check offset, they're 4x100 bolt pattern.

Sell em to ya cheap.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am The Borbets on the E30 might fit the Miata. I'll have to check offset, they're 4x100 bolt pattern.

Sell em to ya cheap.
Cool beans. We'll see. Rims for it are fairly cheap, and I'm reading they're like 11 pounds. LOL. That's insane.
The first thing I'd do other than some basic maintenance like replacing bushings and hoses would be just a wheel and tire setup.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 pm I think I'm gonna jump on the white one at the end of the week. Ran into him at the shop when I went to get the Vin number for insurance.(the z06 is at the same shop). He's got extra shit out the ass and will throw in a working good 1.8 with a gasket rebuild kit for $100. So I'm gonna take that to the side and clean it up, deck it to do the compression trick that apparently is the bees knees, and then possibly daily it for a little while

:doit:
Johnny_P

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:36 am The car sans top is almost the price of a set of wheels for the Zet. Nice find, hope it's a decent vehicle for y'all.
Yeah that's how I came up with my price. Take the top off of it and it's a $2K car. I compared all the other 2K cars against this one and I'm ok with its condition.
Its better looking in the pics. There's a few misalignments here and there, and it needs a lot of small little details. But shit, parts are so cheap that I don't mind cleaning it up. And with the Z06 being nearly done after I get the tune done, and my debts cleared out from selling the bike, I'll be able to easily drop a few hundred or more on this a month for fun.
You can only expect so much from a $2k car. This one looks really decent for that, and if he's throwing in a bunch of extras for cheap, then why not.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:42 am
Melon wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am The Borbets on the E30 might fit the Miata. I'll have to check offset, they're 4x100 bolt pattern.

Sell em to ya cheap.
Cool beans. We'll see. Rims for it are fairly cheap, and I'm reading they're like 11 pounds. LOL. That's insane.
The first thing I'd do other than some basic maintenance like replacing bushings and hoses would be just a wheel and tire setup.
Get some RPF-1's, or Avanti wheels. Plasti-dip them purple for you know who.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

STS is 15x7.5 with :225: 45/15s. IIRC you can get Konig heliums for like $88/wheel new at 11ish lbs.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:03 am STS is 15x7.5 with :225: 45/15s. IIRC you can get Konig heliums for like $88/wheel new at 11ish lbs.
This guy fucks!
Lol. That's the kind of info I was looking for on specific class info and wheel/tire options.
Acid666

Calling an audible. STUPID clean NB popped back up on craigslist with a massive price drop, and the hard top is negotiable. Just shot an offer out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:31 pm Calling an audible. STUPID clean NB popped back up on craigslist with a massive price drop, and the hard top is negotiable. Just shot an offer out.
nice, but id still buy the white one
that cars been for sale on and off for awhile. Its owned by a derp.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:31 pm Calling an audible. STUPID clean NB popped back up on craigslist with a massive price drop, and the hard top is negotiable. Just shot an offer out.

The silver one? It's got some good mods. Just needs a water pump and ac to be looked at. I got a friend that knows ac shit.
He's got someone looking at it today, so he'll let me know what's up after. I offered $3K with the hard top. Overall it's SUPER clean.
We'll see. I've got a feeling it'll sell and I'll still be left with the white one. I got an insurance quote today
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:47 pm

The silver one? It's got some good mods.
yea. I've seen the car before...its derp city
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm
Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:51 pm

The silver one? It's got some good mods.
Yeah I hear ya. It's got a lot of the right mods... His first asking price was a little too much "I KNOW WHAT I GOT BRO"...
The only thing that was unacceptable was this Image
Johnny_P

Acid666 wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:18 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Yeah I hear ya. It's got a lot of the right mods... His first asking price was a little too much "I KNOW WHAT I GOT BRO"...
The only thing that was unacceptable was this Image
Are those stick-on waxable caliper covers? :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Caliper covers are an instant disqualification. If the owner deems that to be a good "mod", there's no telling how screwed the car is in more important ways.

:nope:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.