Volkswagen I.D. R

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Have you guys been following the I.D. R? Volkswagen set out to build an all electric racecar in hopes of setting the electric record at Pikes Peak International Hillclimb. The event was this weekend. VW crushes the electric car record by like a minute and ending up taking the all time course record. They beat the previous record by about 15 seconds it’s now the only thing to ever complete the course in under 8 minutes. Average speed was a hair over 90mph.

Craziness.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah wow.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I haven't followed it, but it makes sense. A short duration sprint race at high altitude is the best case scenario for an electric car vs anything else. ICE vehicles have major issues with power and tuning with that much elevation+climbing.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:ludacris: :plaid:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:58 pm I haven't followed it, but it makes sense. A short duration sprint race at high altitude is the best case scenario for an electric car vs anything else. ICE vehicles have major issues with power and tuning with that much elevation+climbing.
:dat: :science:

Most :impressive: :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dbest wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:36 pm Have you guys been following the I.D. R? Volkswagen set out to build an all electric racecar in hopes of setting the electric record at Pikes Peak International Hillclimb. The event was this weekend. VW crushes the electric car record by like a minute and ending up taking the all time course record. They beat the previous record by about 15 seconds it’s now the only thing to ever complete the course in under 8 minutes. Average speed was a hair over 90mph.

Craziness.
:mindblown:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I will wait for the tubes, but yes pretty familiar with what they wanted to go do.

ALSO INB4 the "its all paved now and doesnt count" crowd.

it was fookin fast. :fuckyeah:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

That was a very cool/rad effort. Well done VW
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Legacy Swagon | Nissan 240sx

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm I had a buddy of mine at PP today. Said the IDR run was absolutely bonkers.
Can confirm, I am said buddy.

I was set up towards the end of the 'Halfway Picnic Grounds' straight, right before they went into a uphill left hand turn. The IDR went by us (maybe 20m from braking point) at 138mph; dead silent other than tires, wind noise, and a siren they run so no one wins a Darwin award by walking in front of it.

Aside from it looking like a rocketship when it went by, the dirt it picked up and threw off the rear aero was insane. It was like a cyclone coming off of the back of it.

The night before, we walked through the pits and they were going over the car and they had a big euro truck with a generator and maybe some sort of battery cooling system? All in all, VW had quite the set up for the race.

I had never been to PPIHC before, but I'd definitely go again. The intermittent weather made for a long day and you're stuck on the mountain until they get to your spectator spot (they clear the mountain top down), but it was a great time.

Once I get a chance I'll get the pictures off of my camera and share on here.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Bandit wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:33 am
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm I had a buddy of mine at PP today. Said the IDR run was absolutely bonkers.
Can confirm, I am said buddy.

I was set up towards the end of the 'Halfway Picnic Grounds' straight, right before they went into a uphill left hand turn. The IDR went by us (maybe 20m from braking point) at 138mph; dead silent other than tires, wind noise, and a siren they run so no one wins a Darwin award by walking in front of it.

Aside from it looking like a rocketship when it went by, the dirt it picked up and threw off the rear aero was insane. It was like a cyclone coming off of the back of it.

The night before, we walked through the pits and they were going over the car and they had a big euro truck with a generator and maybe some sort of battery cooling system? All in all, VW had quite the set up for the race.

I had never been to PPIHC before, but I'd definitely go again. The intermittent weather made for a long day and you're stuck on the mountain until they get to your spectator spot (they clear the mountain top down), but it was a great time.

Once I get a chance I'll get the pictures off of my camera and share on here.
:like: Nice please post them up. A unique and crazy event it seems!
Bandit
Spinbait
Spinbait
Drives: Legacy Swagon | Nissan 240sx

Here are some IDR pics:

...and some more from the day here.

At the end of the race, all of the racers came back down the hill in a parade and we were able to high five them (as seen in a few pics in the album); apparently it is a race tradition. All in all a cool race and unlike others I have been to.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Nice pics!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.