The Miata thread: Miata is Always the Answer

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

God I want it! But too expensive for me.

I also wish they came in that pretty blue above.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:27 pm

That’s probably the best news out of this. First gen NDs will tank and get one of those and put a header on it and you’re most of the way there power wise. No telescoping steering column though.
Getting a used 2017 club with the brembo pack would be fantastic. The BBS ramz would be nice but I feel like more tire meat would be better going with aftermarket.
I’ve been doing a lot of tire kicking on these since the spring.

I don’t think there’s much benefit in the brembo/bbs package in terms of braking performance, and if weight reduction and moar meat is a goal, the aftermarket has better solutions.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am Eternal Blue.
That ought to be my band name.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Getting a used 2017 club with the brembo pack would be fantastic. The BBS ramz would be nice but I feel like more tire meat would be better going with aftermarket.
I’ve been doing a lot of tire kicking on these since the spring.

I don’t think there’s much benefit in the brembo/bbs package in terms of braking performance, and if weight reduction and moar meat is a goal, the aftermarket has better solutions.
:dat: I don't see the value in the BBS package. The rams look nice, sure, but so do many aftermarket ones and you can get them wider. And as for brakes, if you want a BBK the aftermarket solutions will be as good or better than the front caliper and rotor only Brembo upgrade.

Just get a Club and go from there, that way you get the LSD. I'm not even sure the Club is all that worth it because the shocks and springs and such are still too soft from what I've read, but aftermarket LSD + installation is expensive.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:07 am Eternal Blue.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 am
Melon wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:49 am

Blue Melon works well too. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Johnny_P wrote:
4zilch wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:33 am I’ve been doing a lot of tire kicking on these since the spring.

:dat: I don't see the value in the BBS package. The rams look nice, sure, but so do many aftermarket ones and you can get them wider. And as for brakes, if you want a BBK the aftermarket solutions will be as good or better than the front caliper and rotor only Brembo upgrade.

Just get a Club and go from there, that way you get the LSD. I'm not even sure the Club is all that worth it because the shocks and springs and such are still too soft from what I've read, but aftermarket LSD + installation is expensive.
I think the BBS pack includes Recarbros now too. Still pretty crazy that it's a $3700 option package.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am
Johnny_P wrote:

I think the BBS pack includes Recarbros now too. Still pretty crazy that it's a $3700 option package.

Yeah I really don't see the value.
Base car comes with seats and wheels and brakes. If you want better for track purposes or whatever you're going to want more than what this package offers anyway.
Johnny_P

Telescoping steering wheel = 30mm travel

A little over 1". Not even a :jalepenis:

:butwhy: did they even f'ing bother?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am Telescoping steering wheel = 30mm travel

:notsure: Press release says 42mm. Not like that's much of a difference either.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:13 am I think the BBS pack includes Recarbros now too. Still pretty crazy that it's a $3700 option package.

Base car comes with seats and wheels and brakes. If you want better for track purposes or whatever you're going to want more than what this package offers anyway.
The wheels don't add anything (they're the same size as the base ones and hardly lighter), but the brakes and seats are nice... Swapping seats/brakes on new cars full of electronics/airbags/etc. is a PITA. It also puts you out of stock autox class, not that anyone else cares.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:15 am Telescoping steering wheel = 30mm travel

Does it matter in a car where your knees touch the dash ? :lol:

The jk didn’t have a telescoping wheel and ppl made do. Gayata is teeny
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am
Johnny_P wrote:
The wheels don't add anything (they're the same size as the base ones and hardly lighter), but the brakes and seats are nice... Swapping seats/brakes on new cars full of electronics/airbags/etc. is a PITA. It also puts you out of stock autox class, not that anyone else cares.
:whocares: im just going to modify the car out of stock class anyway.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

I mean I guess it'll help. When I sat in it at the auto show, my knees were right next to the steering wheel, lol.

:megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

I mean I guess it'll help. When I sat in it at the auto show, my knees were right next to the steering wheel, lol.

I can't actually drive the car because my knees make contact with the steering wheel. Telescope may help, but I still don't have headroom. Miata is just too small for linebackers.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

I can't actually drive the car because my knees make contact with the steering wheel. Telescope may help, but I still don't have headroom. Miata is just too small for linebackers.
I fit in a ND. But JUST, headroom is similar to a C5/6/7. Sardine status otherwise since it is really narrow and you can't move the seat much. Body touches every part of the car from every angle
troyguitar

Barnes93cb wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:43 am The wheels don't add anything (they're the same size as the base ones and hardly lighter), but the brakes and seats are nice... Swapping seats/brakes on new cars full of electronics/airbags/etc. is a PITA. It also puts you out of stock autox class, not that anyone else cares.
:whocares: im just going to modify the car out of stock class anyway.
The appeal of the new one is that it shouldn't need anything beyond a big front sway bar and alignment, especially if you start with recarbros and brembros.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:15 am
I fit in a ND. But JUST, headroom is similar to a C5/6/7. Sardine status otherwise since it is really narrow and you can't move the seat much. Body touches every part of the car from every angle
I must not have had the seat adjusted properly in the one I sat in. NO headroom for me, and no knee room. Just not fun.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I just fit headroom wise. My eye level is just below the top of the windshield. Knees bang into the steering wheel especially when hitting the brake pedal. I could probably drive one but I'd have to sit bow-legged and that wouldn't be comfortable for long.

max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm
I must not have had the seat adjusted properly in the one I sat in. NO headroom for me, and no knee room. Just not fun.
"all the way down and all the way back". Even though that means little in the miata. It is "ok" but certainly not cavernous.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 am like.....

ynottho?
:ohdang:

Man... cool colors would be nice. I still want one of these but it's just a difficult vehicle to really buy. A toy car that can't be taken to a track :notsure: .
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 am like.....

ynottho?
:ohdang:

Man... cool colors would be nice. I still want one of these but it's just a difficult vehicle to really buy. A toy car that can't be taken to a track :notsure: .
You have the fortune of living near one of the best autox sites in the country, plus tons of great public roads if you feel like pushing your :alpo: luck with :narc:

I'm sort of leaning toward a cheap appliance and a shifter kart if the desert move happens, I don't think that I could get away with a miata as an only car with its tiny trunk regardless of winter temperatures.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:15 pm
You're just a little bit more linebacker is all. At 6'2", 195ish I fit, just. An inch taller in the torso and I'd be :nope: . My legs are pretty short for my height at 32" inseam, so I'm perfect there with no steering wheel contact problems (well at least in NA, NB, NC and Fiata). NB headroom ain't there though.

Problem for me is, with a roll bar, my head would still be over. I'd like to track a few times a year at least, so this could only be a DD, but then I'd have two two seaters, which is kind of dumb. So even though I think the Miata is a lot more fun on the road generally than a C5, it's just hard to justify. I still want one though :rage:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:18 pm
Him and his partner finally got a new car to take to brunch :)
Johnny_P