Used 4x4 market rant

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm geo politics aside... check out some of the shit that I found...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86667.html
Like who would be ok to sit on this...

The same people who are willing to purchase a car like that are the same people that buy fugly seat covers, but atleast they work :iono:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 71086.html
My fav... 470k miles... wants 7k

Now this is suicide worthy. Fucking turned over porta potty black rear carpets... crotchfruit :disgust:

Has current gen x5 in garage, check
miles that NO ONE is willing to buy, check
Price that can be found cheaper on way lower miles, check
claims "Too harsh for family" then "rides perfect", check

Worth negotiation to at max $4k, may be reasonable for him vs asking price.

This is my 2nd fave...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 66664.html
"honk if parts fall off" :disgust:

atleast its cheaper than last one doe
answers in bold
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:45 pm I had a 4WD Rav4 for a few days. It didn’t suck. Review to come but man really these little dick CUVs are rather good.
Year?
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:45 pm I had a 4WD Rav4 for a few days. It didn’t suck. Review to come but man really these little dick CUVs are rather good.
Year?
4k miles so new? 17 or 18.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:17 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 pm

Year?
4k miles so new? 17 or 18.
Just goes to show cars are really improving. I’ve driven a 2002 one on a roadtrip long ago, and it was absolutely terrible.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 pm geo politics aside... check out some of the shit that I found...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 86667.html
Like who would be ok to sit on this...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 71086.html
My fav... 470k miles... wants 7k

Now this is suicide worthy. Fucking turned over porta potty black rear carpets... crotchfruit :disgust:

This is my 2nd fave...
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/ ... 66664.html
"honk if parts fall off" :disgust:
Lupe' specials lol.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

K, gents... Let me know what you guys think. I am not 100% sold on this yet, but I think I want to pull the trigger on a poverty 4x4...

Since I am not a :troywax: like most of y'all on here I am going :mahtroy: poverty style. Main issue for me is just being embarrassed to drive it or worse get stranded with a major mechanical failure. So maintenance history is key for me... as well as reliability.

Still debating which way to roll here, but here is the short list for now.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/ ... 26058.html
Contestant #1
1999 4 runner with 2nd owner
++ Dealer maintained
++ Timing belt done
++ Tires ok
++ Cloth interior (leather cracks to shit on these)
-- Pre 2000 so it'll likely have "old car issues"
-- Paint is shot on the roof, this bothers me a lot...I don't like cars that look like they were pulled from a junkyard
-- Dude is located 1.5 hrs each way away from me, which is a commitment in terms of travel if I am not 100% sold on thecar.

Contestant #2
2003 LandCruiser
++ Original Owner
++ Really nice color, most of these came in GOLD or BEIGE
++ Looks clean in pics
++ Local
-- Priced pretty high, I would not pay over 10k for it
-- 203k miles... so "old car issues" may be likely
-- 15mpg or less
-- A bit on the "too big" side

Contestant #3
2001 Land Cruiser
++Under 10k
++Under 200k miles
++Decent color combo
++Local
++/-- 53 records on carfax means it was either trashed or serviced... likely the latter
--- :wtf: happened to the back seat
--- :dillerman: so likely not flexible on price
--- back hatch/bumper dented :wtf:
-- 15mpg or less
-- A bit on the "too big" side

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/d/ ... 42034.html

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm K, gents... Let me know what you guys think. I am not 100% sold on this yet, but I think I want to pull the trigger on a poverty 4x4...

Since I am not a :troywax: like most of y'all on here I am going :mahtroy: poverty style. Main issue for me is just being embarrassed to drive it or worse get stranded with a major mechanical failure. So maintenance history is key for me... as well as reliability.

:truk:
:truk: #1 is gone, brah. But honestly you need to just find one of these and test drive it. They are..... not excellent. Durable, sure, but they ride hard and are loud and generally rather shit tastic. If your only goal is overlanding then yeah build it up, but if you want to daily it I don't think this will be the answer.

:truk: #2 is more like it.

:truk: #3 probably tried to haul mulch inside and that damage is from a shovel :sad:

The Land Cruisers will be more up your alley. I think the V8s are generally very reliable overall but they have timing belts. Something to keep in mind if you're discussing price could be a negotiation point. Not sure what else goes wrong on the Toyota V8, maybe valve cover gaskets or something.

Old car issues, yes. GF's parents had a Highlander of that gen. Some shit that went wrong on it were shocks failed, hatch struts failed, hood latch cable snapped that was a fun one couldn't get into the engine bay, trans hard shifting, etc. Overall it was a good vehicle they got rid of it because it needed constant $10 parts. Just the nature of an older vehicle.

$10k is the budget? What's the goal? Just the yearly death valley jetta road tour, or Tahoe trails, or rock crawling, or sleeping in the back of it on a mountain pass for a few days?

People laugh at me, but seriously the little CUVs can do most of the lame off roading most people will max their comfort level out at, while driving better, being more comfortable, better interior storage use, and far better fuel economy. For most of the off roading normal non-hardcore people will do, you only need ground clearance.

If you want a serious off roader for serious off roading or serious dick slinging, the older WJ Grand Cherokees are really the ticket. Maybe a desert-spec GMT800 based Tahoe.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_P

@fledonfoot has Toyoder service experience he can tell you what's up with these. Send him a PM.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

V6 rav4 bro, JP is right.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 am V6 rav4 bro, JP is right.
This is honestly not a bad choice. Just gotta be real with what you're going to do with it. This isn't going to conquer the Rubicon Trail, but it'll make it over most Colorado mountain passes just fine. These guys drove a Crosstrek CVT over Engineer Pass ffs...

https://expeditionportal.com/road-and-t ... i-limited/

Search around and you can find plenty of posts about Subaru Outbacks making it over shit in Death Valley. Like I said, ground clearance rules the day for most people.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am
This is honestly not a bad choice. Just gotta be real with what you're going to do with it. This isn't going to conquer the Rubicon Trail, but it'll make it over most Colorado mountain passes just fine. These guys drove a Crosstrek CVT over Engineer Pass ffs...

Search around and you can find plenty of posts about Subaru Outbacks making it over shit in Death Valley. Like I said, ground clearance rules the day for most people.
For the type of wheeling Max is looking to do, this is perfect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:22 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 pm K, gents... Let me know what you guys think. I am not 100% sold on this yet, but I think I want to pull the trigger on a poverty 4x4...

:truk: #1 is gone, brah. But honestly you need to just find one of these and test drive it. They are..... not excellent. Durable, sure, but they ride hard and are loud and generally rather shit tastic. If your only goal is overlanding then yeah build it up, but if you want to daily it I don't think this will be the answer.

:truk: #2 is more like it.

:truk: #3 probably tried to haul mulch inside and that damage is from a shovel :sad:

The Land Cruisers will be more up your alley. I think the V8s are generally very reliable overall but they have timing belts. Something to keep in mind if you're discussing price could be a negotiation point. Not sure what else goes wrong on the Toyota V8, maybe valve cover gaskets or something.

Old car issues, yes. GF's parents had a Highlander of that gen. Some shit that went wrong on it were shocks failed, hatch struts failed, hood latch cable snapped that was a fun one couldn't get into the engine bay, trans hard shifting, etc. Overall it was a good vehicle they got rid of it because it needed constant $10 parts. Just the nature of an older vehicle.

$10k is the budget? What's the goal? Just the yearly death valley jetta road tour, or Tahoe trails, or rock crawling, or sleeping in the back of it on a mountain pass for a few days?

People laugh at me, but seriously the little CUVs can do most of the lame off roading most people will max their comfort level out at, while driving better, being more comfortable, better interior storage use, and far better fuel economy. For most of the off roading normal non-hardcore people will do, you only need ground clearance.

If you want a serious off roader for serious off roading or serious dick slinging, the older WJ Grand Cherokees are really the ticket. Maybe a desert-spec GMT800 based Tahoe.
Not going to even pretend that I need lockers and low range, etc. I don’t... but I don’t want to be :disgust: by it either. I am not going to do an older rav4/crv they are hideous vehicles that I can’t stand. I also don’t want a pathfinder, because it is simply to “mallworthy” and I won’t be able to resell it 12-18 months down the line when I am likely tired of it

I think a new cross trek is perfect for me, but I don’t think I want to a) spend 22k+ tax, b) get gender reassignment.

WJ is also near perfect, but I have had one before, and for several reasons can’t get one again. So I am looking for something similar, 4 runner, landcruiser...

Idea is to have a utilitarian vehicle, like some of you guys who “need” trucks, something that is :aintcare: for when you need to go shady places, leave it etc, and something that I can take softroading/roadtripping

I actually looked at :truck: s as well. A 3 gen old Tacoma :iantbad: for example
Johnny_P

Tacos are cool if you can get one without frame holes. Easy to resell for what you paid for it.

Xterra isn't a bad call either. IDK how these are on the used market nowadays. The bigger ones, not the 1st gen dinky rusty shitboxes.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am

Yea near 9” of ground clearance, decent mpg and decent space. It is nearly exactly what I want. But they are too pricy used, and I don’t want a new one.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm Tacos are cool if you can get one without frame holes. Easy to resell for what you paid for it.

Xterra isn't a bad call either. IDK how these are on the used market nowadays. The bigger ones, not the 1st gen dinky rusty shitboxes.
Resale is a big consideration ... yes i get the whole :math: thing and :live your dream bro: mentality but I am not going to get an Urus whether I can afford it or not. This is a completely :troywax: setting money on fire scenario since I don’t need this vehicle one bit so I’m trying to limit my exposure

Xterras are tough, since they seem to be popping transmissions in the newer ones and are absolute dogs with the 3.3 that needs timing belts. (1st gen)
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:34 am This is honestly not a bad choice. Just gotta be real with what you're going to do with it. This isn't going to conquer the Rubicon Trail, but it'll make it over most Colorado mountain passes just fine. These guys drove a Crosstrek CVT over Engineer Pass ffs...

Yea near 9” of ground clearance, decent mpg and decent space. It is nearly exactly what I want. But they are too pricy used, and I don’t want a new one.
And 10+ seconds 0-60. Awesome!
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:00 pm Tacos are cool if you can get one without frame holes. Easy to resell for what you paid for it.

Resale is a big consideration ... yes i get the whole :math: thing and :live your dream bro: mentality but I am not going to get an Urus whether I can afford it or not. This is a completely :troywax: setting money on fire scenario since I don’t need this vehicle one bit so I’m trying to limit my exposure

Xterras are tough, since they seem to be popping transmissions in the newer ones and are absolute dogs with the 3.3 that needs timing belts. (1st gen)
Wasn't the strawberry milkshake trans issue related to the transmission cooler sharing the same core as the radiator? Get one without that problem, throw a separate trans cooler on it and bypass the stock trans cooler and you're golden.

Think I remember something about timing chain guides on the 4.0L too. Not sure.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm
max225 wrote:
:whocares:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:15 pm If you go Xterra, just go 2012+.

No SMOD issues.
Yeah but even before that it's a very easy and rather cheap fix to just slap on a separate trans cooler core.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Wasn't the strawberry milkshake trans issue related to the transmission cooler sharing the same core as the radiator? Get one without that problem, throw a separate trans cooler on it and bypass the stock trans cooler and you're golden.

Think I remember something about timing chain guides on the 4.0L too. Not sure.
2005-2007 only for the timing chain guide issues. Solved with a revised chain/guide.
Why the f do I remember shit like this
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

2005-2007 only for the timing chain guide issues. Solved with a revised chain/guide.
Because you hate your job and look for anything else to occupy your time with.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Because you hate your job and look for anything else to occupy your time with.
:notbad:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm
max225 wrote:
I have a car for spirited driving obviously. :aintcare:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm And 10+ seconds 0-60. Awesome!
You bitch about other old :jeep: and :truk: options being too slow often. Slow cars suck, except for when they don't? :iono: :225: :plac: :math:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:03 pm
max225 wrote:
You bitch about other old :jeep: and :truk: options being too slow often. Slow cars suck, except for when they don't? :iono: :225: :plac: :math:
It really depends on the application. Hard to make a blanket statement like that.