Obligatory GMChevrolet Canyonado Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:28 pm

:ohdang: 5/7 will purchase.
:notbad:

I noticed while [user not found] and I were doing my skids that I’d want something for the trans and ideally a beefier transfer case skid. The exhaust crossover pipe stuck out to me that it could catch on something or get beat up.
The issue with the trans is cooling. There's a good chance you'll need an aux trans cooler if you put a skid plate under it...I'm going to find out.

The t-case skid is a joke, also needed.

We never had an issue with the exhaust crossover, but there is something coming for that too...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

The thing to keep in mine with skid plates, is they're really there to make sure you don't get stranded on the trail. If you dent the exhaust crossover, that's not going to strand you. I don't think it hangs down low enough to be ripped off by a rock or something, but even if that did happen, you're still getting home.

Oil pan, t-case, and trans are different stories. Those need MAX protect.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am
Apex wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:44 pm

I noticed while [user not found] and I were doing my skids that I’d want something for the trans and ideally a beefier transfer case skid. The exhaust crossover pipe stuck out to me that it could catch on something or get beat up.
The issue with the trans is cooling. There's a good chance you'll need an aux trans cooler if you put a skid plate under it...I'm going to find out.

We never had an issue with the exhaust crossover, but there is something coming for that too...
Keep us updated! Highest trans temp I've seen so far is 150 in the recent heat we've been having.

The trans is certainly tucked up high enough that it should be fine. T-case on the other hand, could use some additional protection.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm I’d certainly like to see a better T-case skid and some trans protection.

How far away is the “something” for the exhaust crossover?
By the end of the year.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:31 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:15 pm I’d certainly like to see a better T-case skid and some trans protection.

How far away is the “something” for the exhaust crossover?
By the end of the year.
Apex

Stopped by Casa de fled this afternoon and we installed the fork mounts in the strut channel. :megusta:

In bike news, fled swapped the bottom bracket so no more noise there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 pm Stopped by Casa de fled this afternoon and we installed the fork mounts in the strut channel. :megusta:

Any pic of the sweet dent?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:17 pm Stopped by Casa de fled this afternoon and we installed the fork mounts in the strut channel. :megusta:

:nope:

Dats on passenger rear door.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:38 pm

:nope:

Dats on passenger rear door.
Put a band aid decal on it like the civics
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:32 pmHow bad is it?
Really not bad at all, most people will never notice it. Nothing cool hand couldn’t pop out easily.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:40 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Really not bad at all, most people will never notice it. Nothing cool hand couldn’t pop out easily.
Felt that bad about having a dentless vehicle at the PDRBQ, eh? :trollface:
:lolol: something like that.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:40 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Felt that bad about having a dentless vehicle at the PDRBQ, eh? :trollface:
We offered to remedy that on site :disappoint:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Apex wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:47 am

Keep us updated! Highest trans temp I've seen so far is 150 in the recent heat we've been having.

The trans is certainly tucked up high enough that it should be fine. T-case on the other hand, could use some additional protection.
Damn, I think mine gets to 118 or 119 and that's about it.
What's the top end range?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex

Melon wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:51 am

Damn, I think mine gets to 118 or 119 and that's about it.
What's the top end range?
190 or so I think is the upper range for the trans fluid?

Mine is usually in the 120-130 range on my daily commute, depending on how much traffic I'm sitting in.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I've only started checking it recently, and most of my commute is highway before rush hour in the morning, and after in the evening, so I'm getting optimal conditions.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Oh wow. I'd probably look into an extra trans cooler if you're going to off road it.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am

Oh wow. I'd probably look into an extra trans cooler if you're going to off road it.
Shouldn't really be needed. I don't know if Detroit has been looking at trans temps while he's wheelin' but I can't see them getting another 40 degrees hotter than what it is like while strolling along in the woods.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am

Shouldn't really be needed. I don't know if Detroit has been looking at trans temps while he's wheelin' but I can't see them getting another 40 degrees hotter than what it is like while strolling along in the woods.
Just thinking it's a lot of low gear, higher ish RPM, low speed and thus low airflow driving. Plus humidity in the woods is typically a lot higher than elsewhere.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:53 am
Apex wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am

Just thinking it's a lot of low gear, higher ish RPM, low speed and thus low airflow driving. Plus humidity in the woods is typically a lot higher than elsewhere.
Moran OEM engineers beat the hell out of these trucks in validation. Stock cooling is fine.

It's not bad in the woods on trails...but if you do extended sand/mud stuff...high RPM low airflow, it can creep up.

It's when you start adding under body protection or blocking stuff in the front that cooling becomes an issue. Front receiver mounts, light bars, etc can significantly impact the effectiveness of the stock trans cooler.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Usually anything set up to "tow" more than 3500lbs has more than enough trans cooling as towing is the worst thing in terms of heat on a trans.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm Usually anything set up to "tow" more than 3500lbs has more than enough trans cooling as towing is the worst thing in terms of heat on a trans.
:dat:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:26 pm Just ordered Diode Dynamics SL1 LED bulbs for highs and lows.

They'll fit under the factory bulb covers and should be 5/7. Will review thoon.
Intrigued. How much :troywax: ?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Intrigued. How much :troywax: ?
$150/pair normally, 20% off right now through Headlight Revolution and free shipping. So $240 all in.

Lows (H11): https://headlightrevolution.com/diode-d ... ight-pair/
Highs (9005): https://headlightrevolution.com/diode-d ... ight-pair/

The Morimoto XB LED foglights I love so dearly apparently don't play nice with the 2017+ trucks, so I wasn't able to do those like I wanted to. I'd like a set of the DD SLF bulbs but they're currently on a 6-8 week backorder. I'm going to give these a shot: https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lig ... led-bulbs/
I still haven't installed my morimoto fog lights. Dang forgot about them.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm

They're a night/day difference in the :meata:
:iswydt:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:03 pm

They're a night/day difference in the :meata:
Yeah the STI's fog lights blow. Hoping they help. Install seems a bit odd on them, I guess I need to take the under trays off for access which is why I haven't done it yet. Probably should have just bought LED bulbs PepBoys style and plugged em in NFG.