The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am #1 rule of wheeling? Never wheel alone!

Saturday night, got an SOS text from a buddy who decided to go wheeling in his ZR2 on a whim at a local offroad park at 3:30pm. Got his truck stuck at sunset and while he tried to winch out with a farmjack, it got dark on him and he had to leave it overnight.

Drove up there early yesterday morning and yanked him out with my truck. Ice covering deep mud holes, I almost got stuck in a few spots on the way out to get to his truck. 3 tugs with my Voodoo kinetic recovery rope, and he was out. Nice little surprise wheeling trip yesterday...ice made what's usually a pretty tame offroad park quite a challenge.
Sounds fun (for you). Nice work helping out a buddy in need as well :like:
It was actually fun for both us. My buddy is a super curious guy...and instead of just admitting defeat, he asked a lot of great questions as we got him out. "If I had done XYZ, would I have got out?" etc.

He was also pretty blown away by the kinetic recovery rope...the bungee effect really made a difference in that scenario, and it's less shock on both vehicles than a tow strap.

He does planning at GM working on a "special project" he "can't tell me about". His curiosity could result in some :impressive: new stuff...

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:03 am

Sounds fun (for you). Nice work helping out a buddy in need as well :like:
It was actually fun for both us. My buddy is a super curious guy...and instead of just admitting defeat, he asked a lot of great questions as we got him out. "If I had done XYZ, would I have got out?" etc.

He was also pretty blown away by the kinetic recovery rope...the bungee effect really made a difference in that scenario, and it's less shock on both vehicles than a tow strap.

He does planning at GM working on a "special project" he "can't tell me about". His curiosity could result in some :impressive: new stuff...

:neat:

As I do more Offroad stuff I’ll be adding a kinetic rope to the kit. :like:
Apex

How long of a kinetic rope do you recommend Dplac?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 pm How long of a kinetic rope do you recommend Dplac?
I've got a 30'. I've used it for a number of recoveries so far, and the length seems to work pretty well. If you wheel in/around mud/water something on the longer side is nice in case the stuck vehicle is the middle of it all. My buddy's truck was 15 feet in a mud pit, so I had about 15' on solid ground...which was just enough. I'd back up until I had about 5' before the mud pit started and floored it.

That said, I've done recoveries on tight trails where the long rope was a detriment...but you can get creative there too. Double the rope up, and you've got 15' to work with in a pinch (you lose some of the stretchyness of the rope when you do this).

I have this one, but there's a bunch of companies making them now. I've had it for 3 years now and it still looks great.

https://www.voodoooffroad.com/product/k ... oo-offroad

I'm also a fan of bright colored recovery gear because it's easier to spot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:22 pm How long of a kinetic rope do you recommend Dplac?
I've got a 30'. I've used it for a number of recoveries so far, and the length seems to work pretty well. If you wheel in/around mud/water something on the longer side is nice in case the stuck vehicle is the middle of it all. My buddy's truck was 15 feet in a mud pit, so I had about 15' on solid ground...which was just enough. I'd back up until I had about 5' before the mud pit started and floored it.

That said, I've done recoveries on tight trails where the long rope was a detriment...but you can get creative there too. Double the rope up, and you've got 15' to work with in a pinch (you lose some of the stretchyness of the rope when you do this).

I have this one, but there's a bunch of companies making them now. I've had it for 3 years now and it still looks great.

Thanks!

I’m another fan of bright colored recovery gear, even when old guys make fun of it. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:46 pm

Thanks!

I’m another fan of bright colored recovery gear, even when old guys make fun of it. :lol:
I've got a number of bright red metal shackles, two bright green soft shackles, and my bright green rope. I dropped a shackle in the mud yesterday, and just the pin end was sticking out. Easy to spot being red, if it were black I would have gotten really muddy as I fished for it.

The color is functional, and the only time any of this stuff is visible is when I'm using it :whocares: what it looks like.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

New Ford Bronco May Get Seven-Speed Manual Transmission

*Watchful Reddit users recently uncovered a document that suggests the 2021 Ford Bronco could have a manual transmission.

*The Magna PT Getrag sourced MTI550 manual gearbox can support five-, six-, and seven-speed configurations and support rear- and all-wheel-drive applications.

Called the 5/6/7MTI550, this modular transmission is intended for longitudinal applications with either rear- or all-wheel drive. It can be configured to have five, six, or seven speeds, with the seven-speed version boasting a "crawler" gear for off-roading. Though the current specs for the seven-speed model do not list specific gear ratios, they do indicate a potential gear ratio spread of up to 11. By comparison, this offers more range than the 7.1 spread of the six-speed manual in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Provided the Bronco is equipped with a two-speed transfer case, the low-range gearing will offer even more rock crawling capabilities.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:43 pm

*Watchful Reddit users recently uncovered a document that suggests the 2021 Ford Bronco could have a manual transmission.

*The Magna PT Getrag sourced MTI550 manual gearbox can support five-, six-, and seven-speed configurations and support rear- and all-wheel-drive applications.

Called the 5/6/7MTI550, this modular transmission is intended for longitudinal applications with either rear- or all-wheel drive. It can be configured to have five, six, or seven speeds, with the seven-speed version boasting a "crawler" gear for off-roading. Though the current specs for the seven-speed model do not list specific gear ratios, they do indicate a potential gear ratio spread of up to 11. By comparison, this offers more range than the 7.1 spread of the six-speed manual in the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Provided the Bronco is equipped with a two-speed transfer case, the low-range gearing will offer even more rock crawling capabilities.
:butwhy:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 pm
More gears=Better same as Poorsche 911
Apex

I'm listening...
max225

I don't understand how 81:1 is not "low" enough other than online forum bragging rates when it comes to torque multiplication.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:53 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:45 pm

The schwinn Camaro SS was amazing
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:53 pm

The schwinn Camaro SS was amazing
My new neighbor has one and a cla45 amg it seems
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Anyone have CB radio knowledge?

Looking to start wheeling with a local group out here and they recommend/“require” that everyone has CB. Found some installs that look easy enough. Can you take the big ass antenna off when you aren’t wheeling or is on and off all the time going to fuck with anything?
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:03 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 pm Anyone have CB radio knowledge?

Looking to start wheeling with a local group out here and they recommend/“require” that everyone has CB. Found some installs that look easy enough. Can you take the big ass antenna off when you aren’t wheeling or is on and off all the time going to fuck with anything?
Get a handheld CB.

Midland 75-822 is what I have, it'll work fine for most trail stuff. A proper external antenna will give you more range, though.

Having a radio on the trail is 100% recommended IMO, though.
Cobra 75 seems to be recommended highly for a handheld one. I’ll look yours up
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:17 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:03 pm

Get a handheld CB.

Midland 75-822 is what I have, it'll work fine for most trail stuff. A proper external antenna will give you more range, though.

Having a radio on the trail is 100% recommended IMO, though.
Cobra 75 seems to be recommended highly for a handheld one. I’ll look yours up
Another +1 for the Midland. Probably perfect use for your sitch :sawce:
ChrisoftheNorth

Definitely go handheld. I installed a CB and antenna in my JK and it required constant tuning and maintenance.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also...if the 7 speed on the Bronco is a super low 1st granny (so in normal driving you start in 2nd)...that would be pretty epic. They could effectively get away with a normal 2.72 (or so) transfer case and use the granny first for crawling.

The 10 speed has so many gears, that would be easy to execute on the auto too.

I think the 4.1 tcase in the Rubicon JL/T is completely unnecessary with the 8-speed since it's geared so well. I could see eventually swapping the 4.1 in my Rubicon for a Sport or Sahara 2.72 eventually.
SAWCE

Thanks guys
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am Also...if the 7 speed on the Bronco is a super low 1st granny (so in normal driving you start in 2nd)...that would be pretty epic. They could effectively get away with a normal 2.72 (or so) transfer case and use the granny first for crawling.

I think the 4.1 tcase in the Rubicon JL/T is completely unnecessary with the 8-speed since it's geared so well. I could see eventually swapping the 4.1 in my Rubicon for a Sport or Sahara 2.72 eventually.
That would be dope if it was a dogleg first gear, start in 2nd on the street. No one would buy it, but I would :fap: to it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am Also...if the 7 speed on the Bronco is a super low 1st granny (so in normal driving you start in 2nd)...that would be pretty epic. They could effectively get away with a normal 2.72 (or so) transfer case and use the granny first for crawling.

That would be dope if it was a dogleg first gear, start in 2nd on the street. No one would buy it, but I would :fap: to it.
My GMT400 was like that...5 speed with granny first. Starting in second (dogleg) was NBD to get used to, and first would pull a house down in 4lo.

If someone WANTS a :manuel: off-roader, they'll find it :neat: , not offputting. Hell, it would make me want to get the :manuel: over the auto for that. It's my biggest beef with the :manuel: in the JL...the gearing is way too wide and it drives like a 4-speed.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:42 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

My GMT400 was like that...5 speed with granny first. Starting in second (dogleg) was NBD to get used to, and first would pull a house down in 4lo.

If someone WANTS a :manuel: off-roader, they'll find it :neat: , not offputting. Hell, it would make me want to get the :manuel: over the auto for that. It's my biggest beef with the :manuel: in the JL...the gearing is way too wide and it drives like a 4-speed.
:jeep: gearing, I imagine, really should be like sports car gearing, short, close 1-4, 5-6 used only for highway that are taller. I've never done any wheeling so :iono: but that seems logical. I can see where the extra cogs with the auto could be beneficial.... I need to use way more gears on the mountain bike than I do driving on the street or even biking to work when really I can get by fine with like 3-4 ratios.
Johnny_P

Get excited
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Get excited
Is that a jeep :notsure:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:54 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:40 pm

Get excited
Is that a jeep :notsure:
Nope. Its the new bronco.