The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Easy to do shit like that when it isn't your car and you have 5+ vehicles to drag you out and Helicopters on call.

That said, the amount of Defender media that just hit over night got me all :jizz: ing about as well.
The Wrongler got YUGE competition IMO from this rig on the higher end of the sales 50-65k rubicons... I would have have a really tough time choosing a loaded rubi over this.

Styling - A wash between the two
Brand - Far cooler to have a LR IMO and it's "DIFFERENT"
Off road - LR better for the average off roader by far, Jeep better for crawling, so it depends
Interior - LR although the jeep is nice too
On road - I am nearly positive the LR is better here as well
Reliability - without a doubt goes to Jeep
Resale - Def going to jeep as well... but you never know as the current defender is appreciating
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 pm Image

That'd have me :poop: my pantalones.

:impressive:
Just think of the taillights.... :pouroneout:

Sue would just pin the gas pedal and hope for the best. :lol:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:10 pm Easy to do shit like that when it isn't your car and you have 5+ vehicles to drag you out and Helicopters on call.

That said, the amount of Defender media that just hit over night got me all :jizz: ing about as well.
The Wrongler got YUGE competition IMO from this rig on the higher end of the sales 50-65k rubicons... I would have have a really tough time choosing a loaded rubi over this.

Styling - A wash between the two
Brand - Far cooler to have a LR IMO and it's "DIFFERENT"
Off road - LR better for the average off roader by far, Jeep better for crawling, so it depends
Interior - LR although the jeep is nice too
On road - I am nearly positive the LR is better here as well
Reliability - without a doubt goes to Jeep
Resale - Def going to jeep as well... but you never know as the current defender is appreciating
https://expeditionportal.com/2020-defen ... est-drive/

Very good remarks.
i am a little :notsure: as it seems like everyone went on the same safari, so some grain of salt is anticipated right?

My favorite terrain .
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm

i am a little :notsure: as it seems like everyone went on the same safari, so some grain of salt is anticipated right?

My favorite terrain .
It was a press drive. You're going to see multiple magazines/outlets reporting the same drive, but what changes is their perspective. Some of the reviewers are those who do overland/offroad driving. Some of them are just regular car guys from Motor Trend. And some aren't really car guys, but they do "car reviews" for non-car magazines and are totally out of their element.
:dat: One dude I was watching basically said "i don't believe in off roading" WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU IN NAMIBIA BRO?! :rage:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

The Defender is interesting. I'm still catching up on media coverage, but it's really more of a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk competitor than a Wrangler competitor. Very different vehicles IMO, but we'll see how the market reacts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am The Defender is interesting. I'm still catching up on media coverage, but it's really more of a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk competitor than a Wrangler competitor. Very different vehicles IMO, but we'll see how the market reacts.
Sorta? I don’t see a grand Cherokee with a factory roof rack and ladder, washable interior, and purely focused on off roading first. But I can see where the line was blurred a bit.
max225

Bronco will be near identical spec wise ... and probably a bit cheaper unless ford goes completely under ... they just got downgraded to junk status
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:17 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:22 am The Defender is interesting. I'm still catching up on media coverage, but it's really more of a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk competitor than a Wrangler competitor. Very different vehicles IMO, but we'll see how the market reacts.
Sorta? I don’t see a grand Cherokee with a factory roof rack and ladder, washable interior, and purely focused on off roading first. But I can see where the line was blurred a bit.
Sure, there's gimmicks in design and "usability" (nobody's hosing these things out or climbing on the roof), but it's still essentially a Discovery. No different from other unibody SUVs. I don't doubt its capability and that it does what pretty much anyone would want it to do, but it's not really in the same league offroad as something like the Wrangler or Bronco.

I'm way more excited to see the Bronco. I think that thing will be legit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:50 am

Sure, there's gimmicks in design and "usability" (nobody's hosing these things out or climbing on the roof), but it's still essentially a Discovery. No different from other unibody SUVs. I don't doubt its capability and that it does what pretty much anyone would want it to do, but it's not really in the same league offroad as something like the Wrangler or Bronco.

Nobody buying one of these will take any expeditions farther out than a dirt covered parking spot behind the local Whole Foods. The likelihood of anyone hosing out their LR interior is basically zero. Likelihood of using the roof rack ladder for anything more intense than a boogie board and beach chair is equally slim.

A Grand Cherokee can go anywhere this can. A Grand Cherokee can go anywhere on any national park road. And most places people with $50k JL's will be willing to drive to.
max225

It depends on what sort of off roading, rock crawling is really not the way to go with these without question.

But I really like the fact that it seems great on road to get you to the TRAILS. And then it’ll handle anything but crawling.

I don’t agree with the discovery comparison, sure there is some parts sharing but the overhangs, break over, ground clearance is all superior here and it even has a factory snorkel.

Agreed on bronco
Last edited by max225 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

Nobody buying one of these will take any expeditions farther out than a dirt covered parking spot behind the local Whole Foods. The likelihood of anyone hosing out their LR interior is basically zero. Likelihood of using the roof rack ladder for anything more intense than a boogie board and beach chair is equally slim.

A Grand Cherokee can go anywhere this can. A Grand Cherokee can go anywhere on any national park road. And most places people with $50k JL's will be willing to drive to.
Some will, just like most jeeps are “never off road”. I think it’s a great option, considering you can get one for the same price as a JL and WK2.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:04 pm

It depends on what sort of off roading, rock crawling is really not the way to go with these without question.

But I really like the fact that it seems great on road to get you to the TRAILS. And then it’ll handle anything but crawling.

I don’t agree with the discovery comparison, sure there is some parts sharing but the overhangs, break over, ground clearance is all superior here and it even has a factory snorkel.

Agreed on bronco
It's not a comparison...it's literally a jacked up Discovery with improved approach and departure angles. That does say a lot for how decent the Discovery is, but that's still what it is.

A WK2 Trailhawk is just as capable and just as good on road, especially with air suspension.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:59 am

Some will, just like most jeeps are “never off road”. I think it’s a great option, considering you can get one for the same price as a JL and WK2.
It's great to have more competition in the segment for sure.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am Also...if the 7 speed on the Bronco is a super low 1st granny (so in normal driving you start in 2nd)...that would be pretty epic. They could effectively get away with a normal 2.72 (or so) transfer case and use the granny first for crawling.

The 10 speed has so many gears, that would be easy to execute on the auto too.

I think the 4.1 tcase in the Rubicon JL/T is completely unnecessary with the 8-speed since it's geared so well. I could see eventually swapping the 4.1 in my Rubicon for a Sport or Sahara 2.72 eventually.

Get excited
:ohdang: would :smash:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I've been wondering... Is it possible there's some rogue team of product enginerds working on a GC "TRX"? That would be super :neat: to have a raptor style midsize SUV with hemi powa
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm I've been wondering... Is it possible there's some rogue team of product enginerds working on a GC "TRX"? That would be super :neat: to have a raptor style midsize SUV with hemi powa
Because the srt model or the track hawk aren’t good enough ?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:46 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm I've been wondering... Is it possible there's some rogue team of product enginerds working on a GC "TRX"? That would be super :neat: to have a raptor style midsize SUV with hemi powa
Because the srt model or the track hawk aren’t good enough ?
Not for off-road or the offbro'd image man
ChrisoftheNorth

:howdy: The next Trailhawk won't disappoint.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:46 pm
:howdy: :amaze:
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:46 pm
I hope we’re all still able to buy it 🥴
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It'ss be interesting to see if this robs :jeep: sales.

I don't think the off road capability plays too much into sales numbers as new buyers who actually off road are less than 5% I'm sure. So on the one hand, the Defender will ride much better on-road than a Wrangler or Bronco... but do people care about that? Wrangler sells in huge numbers. My bet is these LR will not. I think for most Jeep buyers, it's more of an expression of freedom, Americana, etc. and while this thing is likely a better vehicle for all of those people, the Jeep brand is strong here. Truth be told, it being a 'vert makes it more freedom-y too.

If I was buying I doubt I would even test drive the Defender, I'd compare the Bronco and Wrangler and just get one with a soft top. Granted I'd be more the $30-40K :jeep: buyer as I don't GAF about "features".
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I truly desire one of these. 2 door with :manuel:

Apex
Drives: Abominable

That would do well at your local Radwood. :like:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Here ya go, fuckers. Get offroad in quarantine.

https://snowrunner-thegame.com/

https://youtu.be/hcFSFjJ2b6o
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

troyguitar wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:00 am Here ya go, fuckers. Get offroad in quarantine.

https://snowrunner-thegame.com/

https://youtu.be/hcFSFjJ2b6o
MudRunner is included with GamePass.

:notbad:

We'll give that a go.