The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am So, checking the ORC site - I see there are some green guided rides at Rausch Creek in September and October on Sundays ( :neat: ).

September 15th is one (there's also a basic recovery class on this date as well), and October 6th is the other.

There's also a guided ride at Reading Outdoors on Sunday October 13th, as well.

Any interest? Link for info: https://offroad-consultingcom.godaddysi ... ided-rides
I’m definitely interested in a ride with them, even a private group if we wanted to go on a Sunday they aren’t offering a guided ride.

Recovery class would be really high on my list of things to do too.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:46 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:16 am So, checking the ORC site - I see there are some green guided rides at Rausch Creek in September and October on Sundays ( :neat: ).

September 15th is one (there's also a basic recovery class on this date as well), and October 6th is the other.

There's also a guided ride at Reading Outdoors on Sunday October 13th, as well.

Any interest? Link for info: https://offroad-consultingcom.godaddysi ... ided-rides
I’m definitely interested in a ride with them, even a private group if we wanted to go on a Sunday they aren’t offering a guided ride.

Recovery class would be really high on my list of things to do too.
I've done a lot of recovery, but I'd love to take a class with a professional to see what I'm missing.

Also, if nobody knows the trails, a group ride is a fantastic idea. I don't know if my truck will be here by September 15 tho...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:57 pm I'd love to do an organized ride first to learn the trails - I've never been to Rausch.
:dat:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:So, things I’d like to get before going - front sway disconnects and maybe a winch.

Need to figure out exactly what’s compatible with the AEV bumper.
:troywax:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:15 pm So, things I’d like to get before going - front sway disconnects and maybe a winch.

Need to figure out exactly what’s compatible with the AEV bumper.
:excited:

You can always unbolt one side of the front sway instead of buying disconnects...
ChrisoftheNorth

I honestly don't think we'd do anything requiring sway bar discos, but if it's something you've been planning, then go for it.

I also wouldn't :troywax: on a winch unless you've been wanting one and plan to wheel a lot on your own. Most recovery can be done with another vehicle. I'll be bringing my remote mount Warn for just in case...I've only been in one situation that required a winch in a group.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 am
Apex wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:44 pm

You can always unbolt one side of the front sway instead of buying disconnects...
Still gotta deal with it flopping about. I’d rather do it right, and they’re not terribly expensive to do.
Yea, do it right.

I actually did this on my XJ...disconnected one side of the sway bar for wheeling. Somehow, the endlink managed to get tangled in the axle mount and bent the shit out of the endlink. It's a cheap mod to do right.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:00 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:27 pm I honestly don't think we'd do anything requiring sway bar discos, but if it's something you've been planning, then go for it.

I also wouldn't :troywax: on a winch unless you've been wanting one and plan to wheel a lot on your own. Most recovery can be done with another vehicle. I'll be bringing my remote mount Warn for just in case...I've only been in one situation that required a winch in a group.
Kinda the plan.

Ultimately the :meata: will be going away
:sad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:01 am
Apex wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Still gotta deal with it flopping about. I’d rather do it right, and they’re not terribly expensive to do.
:word:
Apex

[user not found], what you feeling for a day at Rausch/AOAA?
Our weekends are usually more flexible with enough notice, especially since wifeys main weekend client is moving at the end of the month.
Apex

It's $200 for a private guided ride with ORC. We might do that one of these weekends since wifey's schedule is oddly filling up quick for Sept and Oct.
I'll email them and get some more deets.
Apex

Added some more pinstriping to the :truk: today. Was a fun time mindlessly exploring the pine barrens some more with a :jeep: (daily driven on 37 MTs) and a 4th gen 4Runner on 34 MTs (mechanic at my LBS).

Great fun was had by all, :truk: is stupid capable and only really let down by tire (at vs mt in some mud holes) and ground clearance.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:02 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:39 pm Added some more pinstriping to the :truk: today. Was a fun time mindlessly exploring the pine barrens some more with a :jeep: (daily driven on 37 MTs) and a 4th gen 4Runner on 34 MTs (mechanic at my LBS).

Great fun was had by all, :truk: is stupid capable and only really let down by tire (at vs mt in some mud holes) and ground clearance.
Pics?
Idk if any were taken since our usual photographer was rocking spandex today. :lol:
Apex

Jk!

The car wash guy was not super pleased when I showed up as they spent an extra 5 minutes power washing my :truk: before it went in to the wash; but came out clean!

Great from 10 feet, so many pinstripes up close. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth

:megusta:

Pinstriping is 5/7
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Wrong :bread:
Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Apex

Moar mudcave content! Now with skid marks.

So, today wifey and I had a private green guided tour of Rausch Creek. Our guide was Peter, driving a black :manuel: TJ on 33s; and he could have been fleds dad for all we know. Great time with him, after the first couple of trails he noticed we had half a clue of what we were doing so we ended up hitting the more technical green trails on the property. 3,000 acres is a lot of property too.

Pics don’t do elevation changes justice, but here’s some ipotato action. I was taking up the rear and I went the slowest to attempt to minimize skid plate useage; and I used them quite a bit.

We are aired down and heading out!

A quick spot on one of the first drops.

Some rolling hills and foliage as we cruise along the trail.

There are rocks, rocks, and more rocks. The P-metric Falkens were champs in this terrain.

Sue heading down to Pit Jr. This is an area that isn’t accessed unless you’re with someone from OffRoad Consulting.

Pit Jr!

And this lead us to the only section we couldn’t complete. Probably would have been okay with a rear locker in the WK but some sections of slick rock prevented a successful climb. This bitch was steep!

There were plenty of puddles to play in as well, with a bunch of submerged rocks that were exciting.

Heading up the green section of Pole Line.

We caught up to another group towards the end of the day.

And a parking lot shot after airing back up, neat thing is they have a bunch of airlines out in a section of parking lot so you can air up quickly. 5/7 feature.

The WK is a fucking beast for not having low-range and Sue can wheel the crap out of it. No rear sway bar, nice suspension, and the right tire size got all the flex and tire stuffing you could want. Debating if we drop a rear locker in there and add in some front sway discos.

The ‘rado was a champ too. Could tell it was a long wheelbase rig as the turning radius is shit, but it can wheel. It needs some more ground clearance though, so I need to look into that; 275/70/17s have me intrigued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apex

Also, we tracked the ride and have maps so we can run it again anytime.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Nice pics Apex! No low range on the JGC? I thought they all had that?
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm Nice pics Apex! No low range on the JGC? I thought they all had that?
Nope. Nearly all V6 WKs are more of an AWD setup with no low-range.
It would be so pimp with low-range, but that’s not really remotely easy to do.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:01 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm Also, we tracked the ride and have maps so we can run it again anytime.
:neat:

Let's do it.
We should get you fancy camera peeps up there in a few weeks for the color change!

WK also only hit the diff a handful of times, so you boys on 33s will be fine.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm

We should get you fancy camera peeps up there in a few weeks for the color change!

Dplac has buk buk? Or is he still slummin' it in a corporate demo?
Buk buk is in Dplacs possession now.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm Nice pics Apex! No low range on the JGC? I thought they all had that?
How’d the 4th gen 4R handle it all? Asking for a friend.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Dplac has buk buk? Or is he still slummin' it in a corporate demo?
:pftch: :lolol:

God I hope that sticks.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:30 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:02 pm

How’d the 4th gen 4R handle it all? Asking for a friend.
4th gen T4R was from my last trip to the pine barrens. It’s on coil overs and 34s so it should be fine. :lol: