The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

If just 1 passenger, take the back seat out entirely for more space.

But you might get use out of a roof rack. I know nothing about Wrangler roof racks :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm If just 1 passenger, take the back seat out entirely for more space.

But you might get use out of a roof rack. I know nothing about Wrangler roof racks :doe:
Yea, I don't have a problem just folding or event taking out the back seat for when needed, I am just thinking of for the future, since I have the soft top and if i do a trip with more people I want to have the option for transporting that doesn't involve kicking people out.

btw do you guys know which the nearest expansive park would be from the DC area? I am thinking Arizona-style expanses to drive through and camp and stargaze
ChrisoftheNorth

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:21 pm If just 1 passenger, take the back seat out entirely for more space.

Yea, I don't have a problem just folding or event taking out the back seat for when needed, I am just thinking of for the future, since I have the soft top and if i do a trip with more people I want to have the option for transporting that doesn't involve kicking people out.

btw do you guys know which the nearest expansive park would be from the DC area? I am thinking Arizona-style expanses to drive through and camp and stargaze
Not sure of parks, but the mid Atlantic back country discovery route might be an option.

There is nothing like the vastness of the west cost on the east though, not even close.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Not sure of parks, but the mid Atlantic back country discovery route might be an option.

There is nothing like the vastness of the west cost on the east though, not even close.
There's something being developed in MD... I stumbled on it the other day.

Can't find it now, of course.

But, Offroad Consulting runs a great 101/201 program in PA: https://offroad-consulting.com/training
I definitely want to get in on some Offroad Consulting stuff! I was thinking about AirBnB'ing a place out there and making a weekend out of it.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

But, Offroad Consulting runs a great 101/201 program in PA: https://offroad-consulting.com/training
Dang, that'd be sick to take some of those.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/driv ... r-rubicon/

found this, looks like a helluva time, will add to "to-do" list.
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm

I definitely want to do offroading 101 and some first aid classes at REI. The site you sent doesn't seem to have a functioning schedule though :/

Edit: the schedule link worked the second time, weird...
ChrisoftheNorth

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/driv ... r-rubicon/

found this, looks like a helluva time, will add to "to-do" list.
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:06 pm

I definitely want to do offroading 101 and some first aid classes at REI. The site you sent doesn't seem to have a functioning schedule though :/

Edit: the schedule link worked the second time, weird...
Classes is a 5/7 idea. I'm self-taught with year's worth of mistakes. Would have been nice to avoid making those mistakes. Maybe I'll look into classes around me, can always learn more.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm What do you guys think of Gobi stealth racks btw, are they actually useful, or would you stick to hitch-based attachments?
Depends on what you want to do. Serious off grid overlanding you'd probably want it just for the gear carrying increase alone. But. There are many Jeep options that don't involve a roof rack per se. You can strap MaxTrax to your spare without needing anything fancy. You can mount a hi-lift to the hood. Jerry cans in front of the doors. Etc. Start carrying too much shit and you run out of room. So your options are a reinforced spare tire holder (and therefore metal bumper) which is heavy as shit but major Instagram points, or an overhead rack like this, that will probably limit your ability to put the top down.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I like the look of the Gobi racks. And they'd be nice for long trips where I have lots of gear. When I go home for a week in the winter and I'm bringing all my stuff, plus dogs, plus snowboard gear, it'd be nice to be able to throw some of that up on the roof.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm What do you guys think of Gobi stealth racks btw, are they actually useful, or would you stick to hitch-based attachments?
Depends on what you want to do. Serious off grid overlanding you'd probably want it just for the gear carrying increase alone. But. There are many Jeep options that don't involve a roof rack per se. You can strap MaxTrax to your spare without needing anything fancy. You can mount a hi-lift to the hood. Jerry cans in front of the doors. Etc. Start carrying too much shit and you run out of room. So your options are a reinforced spare tire holder (and therefore metal bumper) which is heavy as shit but major Instagram points, or an overhead rack like this, that will probably limit your ability to put the top down.
You don't need a metal bumper to reinforce the spare tire carrier. Mopar sells them as OEM accessories too.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am

You don't need a metal bumper to reinforce the spare tire carrier. Mopar sells them as OEM accessories too.
That is just a sandwich plate and reinforced tire mount? I dunno if I'd trust that with too much weight other than just a wheel/tire.

Oh don't forget a Trasharoo. Need that.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

@Johnny where are your trip deets. I wanna hear em. Length, destinations etc.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Hey all. I'm planning to go offroading/wheeling/mudandrockdriving in George Washington National Forest on the 24th of February with a friend and his Taco. Wanted to know if anyone else would like to come along, since the more the merrier (especially when it comes to pulling out if stuck, lol)

Last Sunday was fun as heck.
Johnny_P

I'm here for the built in espresso machine discussion.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm For Max, and anyone else questioning what 'overlanding' is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiyiTq ... LHz-juFxIQ

Watch that channel.

Obviously here in the US, you're generally not very far from civilization so the idea of overlanding is lost on many. Travel into central and south america, or africa, and that changes: http://theroadchoseme.com/

Overlanding is all about being self-sufficient while traveling off the beaten path. That's all it is. Choose whatever vehicle you want, outfit it however you want, and survive. Obviously some cars are cheaper and easier to fix than others, and some have better aftermarket support.
For those that don't want to watch, it's basically building the most instagram worthy off road rig, with electronics and solar panels, roof top tent, gigantic complex rear drawer organizer system, and roughing it while boiling crawfish and shrimp every night because your vehicle has a built in fridge and going off grid hardcore for 36 hours a time. On roads a Jetta could travel.

:popcorn:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm Hey all. I'm planning to go offroading/wheeling/mudandrockdriving in George Washington National Forest on the 24th of February with a friend and his Taco. Wanted to know if anyone else would like to come along, since the more the merrier (especially when it comes to pulling out if stuck, lol)

Seems like cool idea... is GWNF a destination for off roading similar to the Pines?
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
SaxyJeep
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

razr390 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:01 pm
SaxyJeep wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm Hey all. I'm planning to go offroading/wheeling/mudandrockdriving in George Washington National Forest on the 24th of February with a friend and his Taco. Wanted to know if anyone else would like to come along, since the more the merrier (especially when it comes to pulling out if stuck, lol)

Seems like cool idea... is GWNF a destination for off roading similar to the Pines?
Yea, George Washington National Forest. Pretty vlose to West Virginia, so i think it will be rockier though
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm For Max, and anyone else questioning what 'overlanding' is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiyiTq ... LHz-juFxIQ

Watch that channel.

Obviously here in the US, you're generally not very far from civilization so the idea of overlanding is lost on many. Travel into central and south america, or africa, and that changes: http://theroadchoseme.com/

Overlanding is all about being self-sufficient while traveling off the beaten path. That's all it is. Choose whatever vehicle you want, outfit it however you want, and survive. Obviously some cars are cheaper and easier to fix than others, and some have better aftermarket support.
"survive" :yeahok: Over-landing turned into some lavish display of excess, similar to having a 6 bed 6 bath house while having 1 crotchfruit.

Over-landing is synonymous for essentially extreme luxury of buying $1000 off road fridges for $5 worth of soda, $2000 rooftop tents etc. Just sad. Concept is novel execution meh.

I prefer the litebrite crazies tackling insane shit and somehow not totaling their brand new wrangler and the chick is :woodplow:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:

Watch that channel.

For those that don't want to watch, it's basically building the most instagram worthy off road rig, with electronics and solar panels, roof top tent, gigantic complex rear drawer organizer system, and roughing it while boiling crawfish and shrimp every night because your vehicle has a built in fridge and going off grid hardcore for 36 hours a time. On roads a Jetta could travel.

That version of it actually sounds good to me. Fuck pretending to be a poor 3rd worlder.
Johnny_P

https://oxx.com/oxx-store/oxx-coffeeboxx/

K cup overlanding coffee machine. Don't leave home without it. Essential for survival, ranks right up there with a spice drawer.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/th ... -box.1970/
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 am

Watch that channel.

"survive" :yeahok: Over-landing turned into some lavish display of excess, similar to having a 6 bed 6 bath house while having 1 crotchfruit.

Over-landing is synonymous for essentially extreme luxury of buying $1000 off road fridges for $5 worth of soda, $2000 rooftop tents etc. Just sad. Concept is novel execution meh.

I prefer the litebrite crazies tackling insane shit and somehow not totaling their brand new wrangler and the chick is :woodplow:
Part of me likes the concept of a RTT, the other part of me thinks its ridiculous. My major issue with it is, and I've read a bit about this on forums and such, that if you stay in a regular campground with a RTT, and you take the truck somewhere during hte day, you're packing down your whole campsite to go and then coming back and setting it all back up again. Which maybe isn't a big problem with $4k worth of slide out drawer kitchen and 2 minute tent setup, until someone else has taken your campsite because nobody is home, lol.

So what's the solution? People recommend setting up a ground tent at a campsite to claim it. Not shitting you. And then not use the ground tent.

lawl.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:36 am
Johnny_P wrote:

That version of it actually sounds good to me. Fuck pretending to be a poor 3rd worlder.
It's not bad for sure. It's kind of like having a giant RV just one that can go on 2-track trails. It's basically what I want to do, just with more stuff inside the vehicle.... so basically RV'ing... haha.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:36 am That version of it actually sounds good to me. Fuck pretending to be a poor 3rd worlder.
It's not bad for sure. It's kind of like having a giant RV just one that can go on 2-track trails. It's basically what I want to do, just with more stuff inside the vehicle.... so basically RV'ing... haha.
:word:

If your goal is primarily experiencing the destinations vs having some kind of "survival' experience, then it makes sense to do it in comfort. You could go do a survival exercise in the woods of PA without a vehicle if you really wanted.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:57 am

Part of me likes the concept of a RTT, the other part of me thinks its ridiculous. My major issue with it is, and I've read a bit about this on forums and such, that if you stay in a regular campground with a RTT, and you take the truck somewhere during hte day, you're packing down your whole campsite to go and then coming back and setting it all back up again. Which maybe isn't a big problem with $4k worth of slide out drawer kitchen and 2 minute tent setup, until someone else has taken your campsite because nobody is home, lol.

So what's the solution? People recommend setting up a ground tent at a campsite to claim it. Not shitting you. And then not use the ground tent.

lawl.
That's :fullretard: but also why RTTs are :fullretard:

If you're going to pitch a tent on the ground, just stay in that.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:03 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am

:word:

If your goal is primarily experiencing the destinations vs having some kind of "survival' experience, then it makes sense to do it in comfort. You could go do a survival exercise in the woods of PA without a vehicle if you really wanted.
Oh totally. Like, fuck those air bed camping pads I'm bringing a damn foam mattress. Throw it in a tent NFG.

Will also have a stove with me because campfire cooking blows when it's windy. And a propane heater. I have no issue taking the easy way out on some things. I just can't go :fullretard: large on the vehicle if I actually want to take it more remote places, or keep it when I get back.