The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

They are already in MP? :impressive:
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 am Also...if the 7 speed on the Bronco is a super low 1st granny (so in normal driving you start in 2nd)...that would be pretty epic. They could effectively get away with a normal 2.72 (or so) transfer case and use the granny first for crawling.

The 10 speed has so many gears, that would be easy to execute on the auto too.

I think the 4.1 tcase in the Rubicon JL/T is completely unnecessary with the 8-speed since it's geared so well. I could see eventually swapping the 4.1 in my Rubicon for a Sport or Sahara 2.72 eventually.
That would be dope if it was a dogleg first gear, start in 2nd on the street. No one would buy it, but I would :fap: to it.
Honestly, with 7 gears, there shouldn't be a need to have a dogleg first gear. You could have a rather uniform layout and even include a lockout gate for granny and reverse. A little MS Paint action of what I'm thinking:

Last edited by Huckleberry on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:36 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:38 am

That would be dope if it was a dogleg first gear, start in 2nd on the street. No one would buy it, but I would :fap: to it.
Honestly, with 7 gears, there shouldn't be a need to have a dogleg first gear. You could have a rather uniform layout and even include a lockout gate for granny and reverse:

Dog leg makes more sense if it's a granny gear not intended for road use.

Edit: picture didn't load before I typed that response I see what you meant however I think dog leg would have a more natural movement for situations where you would shift from G->1 on the move. It's not impossible though as I do 5->3 in my car all the time.
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:39 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:36 am

Honestly, with 7 gears, there shouldn't be a need to have a dogleg first gear. You could have a rather uniform layout and even include a lockout gate for granny and reverse:

Edit: picture didn't load before I typed that response I see what you meant
The more I think about it, you would probably want the granny gear and reverse on the same side.

CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:44 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:39 am

Edit: picture didn't load before I typed that response I see what you meant
The more I think about it, you would probably want the granny gear and reverse on the same side.

Agree but switch reverse and granny for me
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:47 am

Yeah, I would agree with that.

Either way, this makes me excited for the Bronco as long as the price is reasonable.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:25 am

Either way, this makes me excited for the Bronco as long as the price is reasonable.
I'm guessing it'll be right on top the Wrongler so ~30k for that steel wheels model?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:dat: was what I meant too :gaydance:
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:30 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:25 am

I'm guessing it'll be right on top the Wrongler so ~30k for that steel wheels model?
I would hope not considering that the JL has required steep discounts to move.
Huckleberry

I'm curious what else this Getrag trans will find itself in. Perhaps the 6 speed iteration will make its way into the Mustang?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:35 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:30 am

Only after each dealer ordered 200 for inventory when demand only required 50
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:54 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:35 am

I recall Detroit stating that Jeep had internally admitted that they priced the JL a tad high.

Regardless, it will be the same clockwork. Dealers will order the highest trim levels, add their mark-ups, the idiots will pay those mark-ups just to have the first ones, and then the discounts will roll in once the fervor dies down.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:58 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:54 am

I recall Detroit stating that Jeep had internally admitted that they priced the JL a tad high.

Regardless, it will be the same clockwork. Dealers will order the highest trim levels, add their mark-ups, the idiots will pay those mark-ups just to have the first ones, and then the discounts will roll in once the fervor dies down.
I'm interested in seeing if Ford's accessories plan works out. IIRC they said they want an extensive catalogue and federalized in some way so that the accessories can actually be used to determine used values of the vehicles by institutions such as kbb etc in hopes that people will be more likely to purchase accessories knowing they will hold value on the used market. I'm too lazy to search for the specific article though.
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:12 am

I'm interested in seeing if Ford's accessories plan works out. IIRC they said they want an extensive catalogue and federalized in some way so that the accessories can actually be used to determine used values of the vehicles by institutions such as kbb etc in hopes that people will be more likely to purchase accessories knowing they will hold value on the used market. I'm too lazy to search for the specific article though.
It's an interesting concept. The only reason I would be moved towards purchasing Ford's accessories would be for retaining warranty, but I'm sure that would also require me paying a Ford dealer to install those accessories, and F that noise.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 am

It's an interesting concept. The only reason I would be moved towards purchasing Ford's accessories would be for retaining warranty, but I'm sure that would also require me paying a Ford dealer to install those accessories, and F that noise.
I've never bought a car from a dealer let alone a new car but if you order a car with accessories or buy from the lot but add dealer installed accessories do you pay the labor for installation?
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:41 am
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:36 am

I've never bought a car from a dealer let alone a new car but if you order a car with accessories or buy from the lot but add dealer installed accessories do you pay the labor for installation?
Yes, you pay labor. But you could also roll that into the loan too; if you were so inclined.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Exiting names for some reserved colors :disappoint:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It's more for residualizing in leases. If you add accessories to a lease vehicle, and roll it into the lease payment, you have to pay for 100% of that accessory over the life of the lease. Some accessories, ALG recognizes residual...it all comes down to if a vehicle rolls across the auction block with an accessory...does it sell for more than a vehicle that doesn't have it.

Things like truck tonneau covers can sometimes be residualized. If Ford puts in the work to somehow prove residual value of parts (no idea how they'd do that), that would be pretty awesome. Indeed, it would be a boon for their accessories business. And would be neat as a customer to be able to personalize the truck and either a.) not pay for it all in the lease or b.) know that the accessories should be worth something later. As we all know, right now, 100% of "modz" is throwing money away.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Can’t afford the toy and now the toy bedazzlers can be rolled into the loan as well to fuck the bank.

:thisisfine:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:07 pm

It's more for residualizing in leases. If you add accessories to a lease vehicle, and roll it into the lease payment, you have to pay for 100% of that accessory over the life of the lease. Some accessories, ALG recognizes residual...it all comes down to if a vehicle rolls across the auction block with an accessory...does it sell for more than a vehicle that doesn't have it.

Things like truck tonneau covers can sometimes be residualized. If Ford puts in the work to somehow prove residual value of parts (no idea how they'd do that), that would be pretty awesome. Indeed, it would be a boon for their accessories business. And would be neat as a customer to be able to personalize the truck and either a.) not pay for it all in the lease or b.) know that the accessories should be worth something later. As we all know, right now, 100% of "modz" is throwing money away.
Gotcha thanks for the deetz :beer:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:16 pm Generally speaking, if an accessory is a hard add (i.e., bolted on, wired in), it can be residualized.

Floor mats can not be, for example, but a factory remote start can be.
There is little :science: behind the fact that they are "worth anything" . So I wouldn't underwrite it into any sort of loan.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:16 pm Generally speaking, if an accessory is a hard add (i.e., bolted on, wired in), it can be residualized.

Floor mats can not be, for example, but a factory remote start can be.
Residualizing is near impossible with TFS. Watch out when they take over, unless they’re going to do something different for you guys.
max225

Base defender is super :neat: IMO a great alternative to the RUBICUNT at a very similar price point.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

The article misspells 'nomadic' :disgust:

Pictures are amazing :doe: Kind of sad to see a :waxer: auto maker taking a bunch of rich whites to destroy an unspoiled country.

Car looks pretty cool :doe:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 am
The article misspells 'nomadic' :disgust:

Pictures are amazing :doe: Kind of sad to see a :waxer: auto maker taking a bunch of rich whites to destroy an unspoiled country.

Car looks pretty cool :doe:
Dat actual grand tour !