The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:30 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Green trails at Rausch Creek and AOAA are totally doable for the TuRD. It’s only $200 for a private guide for a group up to 5 vehicles. The parks require groups of at least 2 rigs, no one goes solo.
Plenty of trails in the pines are good too. Just watch out for the foliage. ;)

The :taco: has front recovery points, right?

Hit me up whenever, definitely down for more dirt-clowning.
Pass front, I think.
Hopefully.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am

Pass front, I think.
Between all of us, we've got plenty of stuff, but good to have the following in some kind of recovery bag:

- Leather or Mechanix gloves
- Tow strap
- Hatchet
- Compressor capable of handling 33" tires
- Basic tools
- Moving blanket (if you've gotta lay on the ground)

Plus make sure you've got recovery points front and rear.

I'm gonna miss the :jeep: for trail fun, but the Trailcock should be capable enough for basic adventuring.
I highly recommend picking up some soft shackles to connect things together...and if you're going to wheel somewhat frequently, a kinetic recovery rope is pretty :mindblown: in recovery. Also, screw on tire deflators are cheap and pretty epic for letting air out. I keep them in my recovery bag.

Also a bunch of tire plugs. I've found it easier to plug a tire on the trail than deal with laying in the mud changing to the spare. I've even plugged sidewalls with success...just to get off the trail.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Pass front, I think.
Between all of us, we've got plenty of stuff, but good to have the following in some kind of recovery bag:

- Tow strap
- Hatchet
- Basic tools

I'm gonna miss the :jeep: for trail fun, but the Trailcock should be capable enough for basic adventuring.
Trailcock should handle any of our usual adventuring without issue.

And yeah, between the group we’ll usually have everything. My recovery bag stays in my truck so I always have it with me.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:49 am

- Tow strap
- Hatchet
- Basic tools

I highly recommend picking up some soft shackles to connect things together...and if you're going to wheel somewhat frequently, a kinetic recovery rope is pretty :mindblown: in recovery. Also, screw on tire deflators are cheap and pretty epic for letting air out. I keep them in my recovery bag.

Also a bunch of tire plugs. I've found it easier to plug a tire on the trail than deal with laying in the mud changing to the spare. I've even plugged sidewalls with success...just to get off the trail.
A kinetic recovery rope and soft shackles are definitely on my list of things to pick up.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:02 am
Apex wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 am

A kinetic recovery rope and soft shackles are definitely on my list of things to pick up.
I've got soft shackles, kinetic rope is an eventually.
Hey, what you and your wife are into is completely your business, can we get back to trucks :doe:. ?

:zing:
Apex

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 am

:notbad:

I’m rocking the hard shackles.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 am

They're fine, just heavy and can be a bit difficult to use. The soft shackles are game changing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:09 am

They're fine, just heavy and can be a bit difficult to use. The soft shackles are game changing.
Yeah, partly why I haven’t bought any softies. I don’t have a need for more right now.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:27 am

Yeah you are. :boner:
:hue:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:34 pm Image
:lolol:
Apex

I hope it doesn’t suck. I’m rather curious to what the 2door wheelbase will be.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:54 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:23 pm

I hope it doesn’t suck. I’m rather curious to what the 2door wheelbase will be.
Gotta be somewhere around the Wrangler.

Original Bronco was 92” wheelbase.
I’m hoping for 102-105, but it’ll probably be 94 or something.
Dat LJ wheelbase is :tits:
Johnny_P

I really hope Fraud doesn’t dick this up.

They probably will. But I hope they don’t. I’d be interested in one.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm I really hope Fraud doesn’t dick this up.

I’m just thinking about this... imagine being a principal engineer at ford over the last decade ... you were forced to give up all performance projects, all cars and focus on saving just money while keeping capex to a minimum. While your competitors were hiring/designing America’s best products and has the best teams of people with the biggest budgets/ epic profit sharing .

You would be a fool not to try and jump ship. Or you would have to be really bad at interviewing/your job.

So this breeds the worst people/teams and the worst of the big 3.

I would be shocked if it’s good
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:47 pm I really hope Fraud doesn’t dick this up.

I’m just thinking about this... imagine being a principal engineer at ford over the last decade ... you were forced to give up all performance projects, all cars and focus on saving just money while keeping capex to a minimum. While your competitors were hiring/designing America’s best products and has the best teams of people with the biggest budgets/ epic profit sharing .

You would be a fool not to try and jump ship. Or you would have to be really bad at interviewing/your job.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mo ... s-coo-ceo/

Just as we were talking about this... big shakeups at Ford's upper management. The guy that worked on the Mach-E and Bronco projects is leaving. Lawl. :thisisfine:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:54 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:59 am

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-mo ... s-coo-ceo/

Just as we were talking about this... big shakeups at Ford's upper management. The guy that worked on the Mach-E and Bronco projects is leaving. Lawl. :thisisfine:
Yep that’s exactly it. Makes perfect sense I have been at failing and non failing companies over my career. And the shit happens on the downturns is terribad. The worst people stay that should have been fired years ago and it breeds the worst culture/products
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

These are cooler anyways...

This "more then I can afford, pal" spec (with bolt on :tits: ) is so :jizz: , it would probably look crazy in orange! :want:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Needs more :manuel: and a lifestyle change where I'm renting my primary residence and living by the beach and doing nothing. Wife would have to learn how to operate or :sorry: :dealwithit:
ChrisoftheNorth

#1 rule of wheeling? Never wheel alone!

Saturday night, got an SOS text from a buddy who decided to go wheeling in his ZR2 on a whim at a local offroad park at 3:30pm. Got his truck stuck at sunset and while he tried to winch out with a farmjack, it got dark on him and he had to leave it overnight.

Drove up there early yesterday morning and yanked him out with my truck. Ice covering deep mud holes, I almost got stuck in a few spots on the way out to get to his truck. 3 tugs with my Voodoo kinetic recovery rope, and he was out. Nice little surprise wheeling trip yesterday...ice made what's usually a pretty tame offroad park quite a challenge.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am #1 rule of wheeling? Never wheel alone!

Saturday night, got an SOS text from a buddy who decided to go wheeling in his ZR2 on a whim at a local offroad park at 3:30pm. Got his truck stuck at sunset and while he tried to winch out with a farmjack, it got dark on him and he had to leave it overnight.

Drove up there early yesterday morning and yanked him out with my truck. Ice covering deep mud holes, I almost got stuck in a few spots on the way out to get to his truck. 3 tugs with my Voodoo kinetic recovery rope, and he was out. Nice little surprise wheeling trip yesterday...ice made what's usually a pretty tame offroad park quite a challenge.
:nice:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 am #1 rule of wheeling? Never wheel alone!

That’s my biggest fear as well, getting stuck in a non reception area with no help available.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Sounds fun (for you). Nice work helping out a buddy in need as well :like:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

big flex. :nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:50 am

That’s my biggest fear as well, getting stuck in a non reception area with no help available.
Always err on the side of caution...and don't go into something you don't know. Yesterday, we hiked quite a bit finding the right series of trails to get to his truck to make sure that I didn't get stuck. Long sticks to check mud/water hole depth...shovels to rearrange rocks or obstacles if needed, I had a plan in my mind before I took on any obstacle. Extra caution when you're by yourself is critical.

And if you do get stuck...know when to stop and back up. Again, my buddy would have been able to back out of what he was stuck in if he hadn't kept his foot to the floor spinning all 4 wheels (lockers engaged), just digging down. A lot of that is experience, but it's also common sense. Not making forward progress? STOP, back up, and take another run at it. A lot of time momentum is your friend.

Out where you are, it's not so much mud/water to be concerned about, but rocks. Really important to plan ahead and watch lines. Fortunately, the trails are pretty well mapped and you can know ahead of time how bad things are going to get. Don't bother trying stuff that will be over your rig's ability.

I wouldn't wheel by myself regularly without a winch...that's a lifesaver.