The Mudcave: Overlanding/offroad chat.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: :trukyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Ive seen the jeeps that do this.. And my god they look miserable to drive ON road. :nope:
Apex

I've got a Factor55 hitchlink, a pair of orange shackles, and a Sunferno tow/recovery strap sitting in an amazon list for the Z71 right now.

EDIT: I also tossed in my E-tool shovel under the back seat yesterday too. So that'll always be with me along with a small socket set and blanket. Need to add some 3/8 stuff and add a tool roll for wrenches.
I also carry sunscreen with me, but being a day-walker I need that more than most. :lol:
Last edited by Apex on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:14 pm Dplac - what gear do you carry on your backwoods jaunts?
Everything, especially if I'm going alone.

Added a front receiver mount to my truck and wired power front to rear, so that said, #1 is...

Winch
and some winching basics:
Snatch block
tree saver
D-ring shackles (4)

Outside of that:
Receiver recovery attachment
Tow strap
Kinetic recovery rope
Soft shackle (2)
Hatchet - I'll bring the chainsaw if I'm doing some really remote stuff
Basic metric socket set
Air compressor
LED Headlamps (for my head)
Leather gloves
Blanket

Some guys really love the traction mats like maxx traxx or whatever, but I've had varying success with them and they're somewhat big to take around. The winch is just as easy and effective for backwoods stuff since there's trees everywhere. It's rare that I can't get out of a situation with the above.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm I've got a Factor55 hitchlink, a pair of orange shackles, and a Sunferno tow/recovery strap sitting in an amazon list for the Z71 right now.

EDIT: I also tossed in my E-tool shovel under the back seat yesterday too. So that'll always be with me along with a small socket set and blanket. Need to add some 3/8 stuff and add a tool roll for wrenches.
I also carry sunscreen with me, but being a day-walker I need that more than most. :lol:
Oh yea, forgot about my small shovel.

I like my hitchlink. :waxer: AF but a really nice piece. Even a cheap chinese one on the back is better than nothing, doe.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:29 pm I've got a Factor55 hitchlink, a pair of orange shackles, and a Sunferno tow/recovery strap sitting in an amazon list for the Z71 right now.

I like my hitchlink. :waxer: AF but a really nice piece. Even a cheap chinese one on the back is better than nothing, doe.
I know it's :waxer: AF, but I have a credit on Amazon that basically covers it... But it could also cover a chinese one, shackles, and recovery strap.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 pm

I know it's :waxer: AF, but I have a credit on Amazon that basically covers it... But it could also cover a chinese one, shackles, and recovery strap.
Unless you're doing a ton of wheeling, you're probably fine with a cheaper one. You just need something to tug yourself or someone else out with. I've got an old one from Harbor Freight that treated me well for years, but I upgraded out of fear of it eventually dying, though it never did.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Major :jelly: here. I'd much rather go off roads than on a track... gotta get me a vehicle to do this. For now :popcorn:
max225

Question for a semi noob. Is there a universal "trail rating" system that basically tells you how difficult a trail is on say... a 1-10 scale?
I.E a 1-3 you can do in a minivan
3-6 you can do in a jeep
7-10 you need a lift+ 2 spares + winch etc?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:59 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Unless you're doing a ton of wheeling, you're probably fine with a cheaper one. You just need something to tug yourself or someone else out with. I've got an old one from Harbor Freight that treated me well for years, but I upgraded out of fear of it eventually dying, though it never did.
I think I might :scrooge: on this. I probably won't wheel enough to warrant the :waxer: piece.
Apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:23 pm Question for a semi noob. Is there a universal "trail rating" system that basically tells you how difficult a trail is on say... a 1-10 scale?
3-6 you can do in a jeep
IDK if it's universal, but the offroad parks that I know of have a system that's similar to the ski difficult system. Ie. Green is easy and can be done by most stock rigs, blue is intermediate might require some modifications to tackle all obstacles, and black and red are difficult and you can expect body damage.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm Major :jelly: here. I'd much rather go off roads than on a track... gotta get me a vehicle to do this. For now :popcorn:
Yeah the Mid Atlantic trail deal looks super cool.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:23 pm Question for a semi noob. Is there a universal "trail rating" system that basically tells you how difficult a trail is on say... a 1-10 scale?
3-6 you can do in a jeep
IDK if it's universal, but the offroad parks that I know of have a system that's similar to the ski difficult system. Ie. Green is easy and can be done by most stock rigs, blue is intermediate might require some modifications to tackle all obstacles, and black and red are difficult and you can expect body damage.
Interesting. Not much of a range though, with the green blue black. So say... a stock rubicon should be able to do a blue?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:14 pm Major :jelly: here. I'd much rather go off roads than on a track... gotta get me a vehicle to do this. For now :popcorn:
I really want to do Monument Valley/Utah/Moab 1 week road trip.
Apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:28 pm

Interesting. Not much of a range though, with the green blue black. So say... a stock rubicon should be able to do a blue?
Yeah, the difficulty of the actual trails is going to vary a bit with the simple system. Easier blues I would say a stock Rubicon can handle. More difficult ones they are either going to need a bunch of experience or some bigger tires.

Not sure what it's like out in places like Moab, but this is east-coast for ya.
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Yeah, the difficulty of the actual trails is going to vary a bit with the simple system. Easier blues I would say a stock Rubicon can handle. More difficult ones they are either going to need a bunch of experience or some bigger tires.

In cali it is a bit odd... this is in my recollection.
There is "high clearance recommended" (tons of minivans)
"high clearance required" (still fun)
"high clearance 4x4 required" (couldn't make it on a suburban) (scratched up my WJ)
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:37 pm This is what I have in the rear receiver: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29312 ... lt+shackle
:dat: is what we have for the GC.
Apex

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm

"high clearance 4x4 required" (couldn't make it on a suburban) (scratched up my WJ)
That seems to be even more vague than the green/blue/black. :lol:
max225

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:40 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:38 pm

It is ugh... I was just curious if some group of "enthusiasts" maintains a trail/log difficulty rating.

It seems that most rate it as easy/moderate/difficult difficult being more for bragging rights than fun.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 pm

:dat:

You looked into the DBBB?

https://www.sfwda.org/dbbb/
Also bad ass. Nice way to spend a few days off.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:37 pm This is what I have in the rear receiver: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29312 ... lt+shackle
It'll work fine on the Colorado.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:57 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:39 pm

It'll work fine on the Colorado.
Warehouse :dill: for $19. Done.
Apex

Grabbed the Smittybuilt warehouse :dill: and the 2 pack version of these:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Under $40 shipped here in 2 days. That box is going to be heavy AF. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:41 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:40 pm

It is ugh... I was just curious if some group of "enthusiasts" maintains a trail/log difficulty rating.

It seems that most rate it as easy/moderate/difficult difficult being more for bragging rights than fun.
Trails in CA are pretty well documented at this point. There's multiple resources online that can help assess trail difficulty. It can be tough because a lot of people may understate a trail, but I did some pretty crazy stuff in my stock Rubicon that never ever got scratched. Almost all major obstacles have a bypass, and it's important to know when to take it. I bypassed many but still had a ton of fun. Check the damned ego if you value your rig. That's the key.

I really miss wheeling out west. You guys have a ton of federal and state forrest and fire roads you can wheel that are well documented and easy to travel. In the midwest and east, we're confined to "offroad parks" that are poorly mapped with even worse marked trails that generally have an arbitrary rating system. A few weeks ago, I got stuck on a trail rated "yellow" for "stock SUV with 4x4". Buried in mud up the frame, ain't no "stock SUV" can do that. I had to winch myself out.

These "new" backcountry discovery routes are 5/7, and I can't wait to explore them. These sort of "overlanding" routes are intended to be more of a journey than a challenge. Major obstacles are minimal. I was going to do Daniel Boone earlier this month, but got rained out. A lot of these are multi-day adventures where you camp along the trail, but no fun in the rain. I also don't enjoy winching up a washed out trail for miles.