Gas Prices Poll

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

At which point will you start driving less/buy a more fuel efficient vehicle

$4 a gallon
4%
$5 a gallon
17%
$6 a gallon
13%
$7 a gallon
8%
$8 a gallon
13%
$10 a gallon
No votes
Never FUK u
46%

Total votes: 24
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 am I concluded that the ethanol which was about 10% of the mixture would be like a 30-50 mile difference in range. Car definitely runs better on non-eth fuel
Concur. During my recent road trip to Minnesota I found several stations selling 91 E0 for "recreational use" as noted on the nozzle. I noticed an immediate improvement and believe I could easily get 500 miles on a tank of it on the highway. In fact, the last time I filled up on that trip was just before crossing into Wisconsin back on 5/12, about 200+ miles from home and I'm still on that same tank today.

I hate that about E10. It might burn a little cleaner but you have to burn more to go the same distance as E0 so are you really putting out less pollution per tank?
The ethanol mandate has hardly anything to do with environmental concerns
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:49 am

Concur. During my recent road trip to Minnesota I found several stations selling 91 E0 for "recreational use" as noted on the nozzle. I noticed an immediate improvement and believe I could easily get 500 miles on a tank of it on the highway. In fact, the last time I filled up on that trip was just before crossing into Wisconsin back on 5/12, about 200+ miles from home and I'm still on that same tank today.

I hate that about E10. It might burn a little cleaner but you have to burn more to go the same distance as E0 so are you really putting out less pollution per tank?
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

IDK, around here it was sold as both "sustainable" energy and cleaner burning.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Cleaner burning might be true.
But. You're burning more of it at a time. It comes from corn, which requires:

-Tilling by diesel machines
-Planting by diesel machines
-Fertilization by airplanes and petroleum based fertilizers
-Harvesting by diesel machines
-Transportation by diesel trucks or trains
-Refining and processing into ethanol at a specific ethanol facility which has emissions (not to mention emissions from construction of that specific plant)
-Transportation to a refinery or blending rack by diesel machines
-Storage in tanks at the refinery or blending rack which has emissions because no tank seal is that good

So. Is it all that much better than just straight gasoline? No. The mandate was put into place to help reduce reliance on foreign oil. Since that we've found an assload more oil in this country with the ability to extract it but the CORN LOBBY has been continually fighting to keep the regulations in place, saying it's good for our economy and farmers.

At this point it's just keeping farmers planting corn, which is extremely harmful to the land. And driving corn prices up. And driving HFCS costs up (which is in just about everything). Simple fact is there isn't enough land in the country to grow enough corn to replace oil.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Cleaner burning might be true.
But. You're burning more of it at a time. It comes from corn, which requires:

-Tilling by diesel machines
-Planting by diesel machines
-Fertilization by airplanes and petroleum based fertilizers
-Harvesting by diesel machines
-Transportation by diesel trucks or trains
-Refining and processing into ethanol at a specific ethanol facility which has emissions (not to mention emissions from construction of that specific plant)
-Transportation to a refinery or blending rack by diesel machines
-Storage in tanks at the refinery or blending rack which has emissions because no tank seal is that good

So. Is it all that much better than just straight gasoline? No. The mandate was put into place to help reduce reliance on foreign oil. Since that we've found an assload more oil in this country with the ability to extract it but the CORN LOBBY has been continually fighting to keep the regulations in place, saying it's good for our economy and farmers.

At this point it's just keeping farmers planting corn, which is extremely harmful to the land. And driving corn prices up. And driving HFCS costs up (which is in just about everything). Simple fact is there isn't enough land in the country to grow enough corn to replace oil.
My point, and more. E0 for me.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

[user not found] wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 am

I'd have burned through the whole tank of premium in that timeframe :notbad:

Have you driven the 6 with the turbo?
Yeah, it's awesome. I hope Mazda gives it AWD.
+wagon. Basically Mazda make a better golf alltrack plz
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

dtraill27 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 8:45 am

:member: the odd mazdaspeed 6? twin turbo v6 AWD.

:megusta:
wap

The 6 wagon is a beauty.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 am

The 6 wagon is a beauty.

100% i agree. I would have bought it over the sedan if it was here in the states
wap

dtraill27 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm
wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:53 am

The 6 wagon is a beauty.

100% i agree. I would have bought it over the sedan if it was here in the states
I'd seriously consider one, too.

Zil,any chance in hell that we'll see the 6 wagon in Murica ever?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm
dtraill27 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Why would you get that over a cx5? And why would anyone need to have both coexist
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:21 am

Welcome to SUV hell.
:disgust: :rage: :sad:
wap

max225 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:32 am

Why would you get that over a cx5? And why would anyone need to have both coexist
Why wouldn't I?
Better looking.
Likely faster.
Rides and handles like a car.
NOT a CUV.
Probably lighter.
Likely just as much cargo space, or close to.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:Honestly, no increase will make me change my habits. I don't drive that much as-is, and already drive on EV for most of my commuting miles for free. The gas guzzlers in my fleet are just for fun mostly and will continue to be regardless of how much it costs to fill the tanks.
:dat: I don't really don't all that much in my personal car, 7k/year. I'd be fine paying twice the price and wouldn't change a thing.

If/when I get more of a commute, I'll cross that bridge when I arrive, but would like a small hatchback anyway, which would be pretty efficient.

I drove a P90D and didn't think it was all that fun and that's kind of the top dog in electric, so I'll probably just go the route of lower initial cost of entry to cover more fuel, by means of a Fiesta ST, Mazda 3,etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 am
Detroit wrote:Honestly, no increase will make me change my habits. I don't drive that much as-is, and already drive on EV for most of my commuting miles for free. The gas guzzlers in my fleet are just for fun mostly and will continue to be regardless of how much it costs to fill the tanks.
:dat: I don't really don't all that much in my personal car, 7k/year. I'd be fine paying twice the price and wouldn't change a thing.

If/when I get more of a commute, I'll cross that bridge when I arrive, but would like a small hatchback anyway, which would be pretty efficient.

I drove a P90D and didn't think it was all that fun and that's kind of the top dog in electric, so I'll probably just go the route of lower initial cost of entry to cover more fuel, by means of a Fiesta ST, Mazda 3,etc.
Well, the equation can change slightly if you work somewhere with free EV charging. Driving for free is fantastic especially when gas prices go up. I also legit enjoy driving the Volt. 0-40 is :notbad: low COG means it handles surprisingly :notbad: as well. It's dead silent. One-pedal driving in traffic is surprisingly calm. Interior is nice and comfortable. Hatch is big and can take a bunch of stuff.

I will very likely have an EV of some sort in the fleet for the long haul. They depreciate like crazy, so the cost of entry is pretty reasonable as well. I agree that a :waxer: car like a Tesla or whatever is :butwhy: but a cheap EV commuter has a lot of potential if you have the charging available.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:20 am :dat: I don't really don't all that much in my personal car, 7k/year. I'd be fine paying twice the price and wouldn't change a thing.

Well, the equation can change slightly if you work somewhere with free EV charging. Driving for free is fantastic especially when gas prices go up. I also legit enjoy driving the Volt. 0-40 is :notbad: low COG means it handles surprisingly :notbad: as well. It's dead silent. One-pedal driving in traffic is surprisingly calm. Interior is nice and comfortable. Hatch is big and can take a bunch of stuff.

I will very likely have an EV of some sort in the fleet for the long haul. They depreciate like crazy, so the cost of entry is pretty reasonable as well. I agree that a :waxer: car like a Tesla or whatever is :butwhy: but a cheap EV commuter has a lot of potential if you have the charging available.
Yeah I'll never say never, they certainly make sense in since scenarios.

I just didn't really find it fun to drive. The drama, quirks, sounds, mechanical and visceral feels are what's fun about driving to me. The P90D acceleration was awesome the first time or two then kind of a party trick. Blasting through the gears in my car never really gets old. If it's a shit commute and electric is cheaper, I could see it, but I doubt I'd be able to electric for less than a FiST.
max225

I am semi debating whether a Model 3 is a viable replacement for my car in the future. But... it is very pricy...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Well, the equation can change slightly if you work somewhere with free EV charging. Driving for free is fantastic especially when gas prices go up. I also legit enjoy driving the Volt. 0-40 is :notbad: low COG means it handles surprisingly :notbad: as well. It's dead silent. One-pedal driving in traffic is surprisingly calm. Interior is nice and comfortable. Hatch is big and can take a bunch of stuff.

Yeah I'll never say never, they certainly make sense in since scenarios.

I just didn't really find it fun to drive. The drama, quirks, sounds, mechanical and visceral feels are what's fun about driving to me. The P90D acceleration was awesome the first time or two then kind of a party trick. Blasting through the gears in my car never really gets old. If it's a shit commute and electric is cheaper, I could see it, but I doubt I'd be able to electric for less than a FiST.
Yea, you need a shit commute that's 90% stop and go traffic and free EV charging at work to see the benefit of electric.

I commute in the :poorvette: and will drive the entire time without going above 4k RPM or 45 miles per hour. It's not enjoyable at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:55 pm I am semi debating whether a Model 3 is a viable replacement for my car in the future. But... it is very pricy...
They're going to depreciate like rocks, plus the loss of the federal tax credit will make it a tough sell for someone that needs to count and collect all the beans.

I'm sure it's a great thing to commute in, :doe:
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 12:55 pm I am semi debating whether a Model 3 is a viable replacement for my car in the future. But... it is very pricy...
They're going to depreciate like rocks, plus the loss of the federal tax credit will make it a tough sell for someone that needs to count and collect all the beans.

Well the current tesla models don't depreciate much. It is annoying AF. They are the jeep wranglers of the luxo market.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Well the current tesla models don't depreciate much. It is annoying AF. They are the jeep wranglers of the luxo market.
Really? Your boy Hoovie just bought one for $30k.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:16 pm

33k by outbidding others and begging the owner to let it go to him... it is 5 years old with 110k miles... that is nearly 40% residual... :wtf:
max225

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 23212.html
I hate to part with it, but I'm buying a new Model S for tax purposes, so this one has to find a new home.
Dem :waxer: 's getting richer ...

The early model S's are shit... so many issues... even the later model cars are pretty blah... but it seems that service kind of takes care of you though.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:18 pm
33k by outbidding others and begging the owner to let it go to him... it is 5 years old with 110k miles... that is nearly 40% residual... :wtf:
The car was only 83k MSRP? I don't think so...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 23212.html
I hate to part with it, but I'm buying a new Model S for tax purposes, so this one has to find a new home.
Dem :waxer: 's getting richer ...

The early model S's are shit... so many issues... even the later model cars are pretty blah... but it seems that service kind of takes care of you though.
Buying a car for tax purposes. :lolol: :waxer:

Buying our Volt did get us out of a tax jam a few years ago, :doe: