Gas Prices Poll

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.

At which point will you start driving less/buy a more fuel efficient vehicle

$4 a gallon
4%
$5 a gallon
17%
$6 a gallon
13%
$7 a gallon
8%
$8 a gallon
13%
$10 a gallon
No votes
Never FUK u
46%

Total votes: 24
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:51 pm

I get exactly 10% worse MPG with costco... I don't know why but I tested it on 3 different vehicles and it is consistently shittier. Also... the lines are fucking long... ~10 min wait to fill up... and save $2-3
We tried one tank in the wife's car from Sams and the car ran like total shit for the whole tank, running rough, stumbling, etc. Once we put real gas in it from a name brand station the car immediately went back to normal. :nope: on that shit for us.
But maybe Cosco >> Sams :iono:
Costco claims to be "top tier" if you buy into that branding.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:32 pm
wap wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:29 pm

We tried one tank in the wife's car from Sams and the car ran like total shit for the whole tank, running rough, stumbling, etc. Once we put real gas in it from a name brand station the car immediately went back to normal. :nope: on that shit for us.
But maybe Cosco >> Sams :iono:
Costco claims to be "top tier" if you buy into that branding.
Eh, it may just have been a bad batch at Sam's too. Whatev's, still not going back.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

It's probably :wrong: and :fakenews:, but Matt Farah has mentioned a couple times on his podcast that some shop owner he's worked with - maybe someone at BBI? I can't :member: - has said that Costco gas is basically looks like race gas relative to other suppliers. STi runs great on it, :aintcare: if it's true or not.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm It's probably :wrong: and :fakenews:, but Matt Farah has mentioned a couple times on his podcast that some shop owner he's worked with - maybe someone at BBI? I can't :member: - has said that Costco gas is basically looks like race gas relative to other suppliers. STi runs great on it, :aintcare: if it's true or not.

No issues with how the car runs... but MPG is worse. :notsure: why
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I have yet to ever experience a real issue on any pump gas. I used Costco for a while. Top tier is more a league than branding. All the big dogs abide by it. Zero issues on 87 or 93.

Lately it's been shell gas. Hell I throw 87 in the wife's GTI for derping road trips. She swears 93 makes her car run better. :notsure: I did put 93 in R today for first fillup. Makes sense on a high strung tubro

I used Walmart gas for a while too. In the e30 I stuck to ethanol free.

ZFG on gas. Just change fuel filters every 30k or so.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm It's probably :wrong: and :fakenews:, but Matt Farah has mentioned a couple times on his podcast that some shop owner he's worked with - maybe someone at BBI? I can't :member: - has said that Costco gas is basically looks like race gas relative to other suppliers. STi runs great on it, :aintcare: if it's true or not.

Unless you drive the exact same route the same way each time there are too many damn varibles to see much diff in MPG. 10% could be freaking pump margin or how much till pump cut off.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

dubshow wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Unless you drive the exact same route the same way each time there are too many damn varibles to see much diff in MPG. 10% could be freaking pump margin or how much till pump cut off.
Just got Costco today ... 3.69 was tough to pass up. I’ll see if it cracks 20. It never does on it...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am

Just got Costco today ... 3.69 was tough to pass up. I’ll see if it cracks 20. It never does on it...
dang thats some high prices. I had to pay 3.19 for supremium yesterday. Might drop 87 in the R and see what happens. Im also pretty sure if you drive like a pawpaw and dont rely on the car computer mpg calculadora you can get 20.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:51 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

:dat:

Costco membership paying for itself in gas, even though we don't drive much. $2.79 for regular, $3.29 for premium. The Shell stations nearby were $2.99 or a bit more for regular, $3.59 or $3.69 for 93.
I get exactly 10% worse MPG with costco... I don't know why but I tested it on 3 different vehicles and it is consistently shittier. Also... the lines are fucking long... ~10 min wait to fill up... and save $2-3
These are the same people who drive around a parking lot for 5 minutes looking for a closer spot to save themselves a 20 second longer walk that they probably need anyway
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote:
max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:00 am Just got Costco today ... 3.69 was tough to pass up. I’ll see if it cracks 20. It never does on it...
Might drop 87 in the R and see what happens.
Can you do that??
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Most gas comes from the same refineries, despite what the branding of the gas station itself is. They combine their additives to it and sell it as theirs.

My GTI used to run like shit on Wawa gasoline. Because they don't sell 93, best they have is 92. And I don't think they have much if any additives in it.

Top Tier is just a minimum requirement for certain additives. Won't help with carbon buildup in DI cars. Might help inside the cylinder itself though.

I just run whatever but I do steer clear of Wawa if possible. 93 is 93 and will perform like 93.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 am
dubshow wrote:
Might drop 87 in the R and see what happens.
Can you do that??
If you stay off the bam bam pedal and out of full boost pulls, I don't see why not. Car should correct ignition. Mustang did it well.

As teh :fax: says "it has a knock sensor for a reason"

The fax preaches the gospel of 87 in the GTI... yet he is tuna'ed and runs 93.... :notsure:

Wifes mk6 does just fine on roadtrips when I throw in 87.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am Most gas comes from the same refineries, despite what the branding of the gas station itself is. They combine their additives to it and sell it as theirs.

My GTI used to run like shit on Wawa gasoline. Because they don't sell 93, best they have is 92. And I don't think they have much if any additives in it.

Top Tier is just a minimum requirement for certain additives. Won't help with carbon buildup in DI cars. Might help inside the cylinder itself though.

I just run whatever but I do steer clear of Wawa if possible. 93 is 93 and will perform like 93.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

only so people makes gasoline. We should know. Each group, (there are only 4 or 5 left) add their custom flavor of some additives. Really, tank condition is EVERYTHING. I really try not to buy gas from stations over 15 years old.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Lol @ People with high performance cars running 87 and bitching about gas mileage (Unless it's way lower than advertised on a new car)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:53 am Can you do that??
If you stay off the bam bam pedal and out of full boost pulls, I don't see why not. Car should correct ignition. Mustang did it well.

As teh :fax: says "it has a knock sensor for a reason"

The fax preaches the gospel of 87 in the GTI... yet he is tuna'ed and runs 93.... :notsure:

Wifes mk6 does just fine on roadtrips when I throw in 87.
Ah ok I'll keep that in mind. I thought the GTI has 87 recommended and the R is required but I learn :fax: from teh :fax:

:themoreyouknow:
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:13 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 am Most gas comes from the same refineries, despite what the branding of the gas station itself is. They combine their additives to it and sell it as theirs.

:dat: :dat: :dat:

only so people makes gasoline. We should know. Each group, (there are only 4 or 5 left) add their custom flavor of some additives. Really, tank condition is EVERYTHING. I really try not to buy gas from stations over 15 years old.
Yep. If you get a shit tank of gasoline it's probably the station itself not cleaning or replacing their underground storage tanks. Has nothing to do with the brand.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am Lol @ People with high performance cars running 87 and bitching about gas mileage (Unless it's way lower than advertised on a new car)
I got 12 MPG on the way in to work today on 93 octane :derp: :aintcare:

Although I am wondering with this recent gas price rise.... will we see the extreme STI valuation drop off that we did last time? $6k off brand new cars and shit. Wondering if it's time to get out.... Ugh I don't want to dump the car but I also don't want to lose my shirt on it and get $10k on a trade in 2 years.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:popcorn:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am
Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am Lol @ People with high performance cars running 87 and bitching about gas mileage (Unless it's way lower than advertised on a new car)

Although I am wondering with this recent gas price rise.... will we see the extreme STI valuation drop off that we did last time? $6k off brand new cars and shit. Wondering if it's time to get out.... Ugh I don't want to dump the car but I also don't want to lose my shirt on it and get $10k on a trade in 2 years.
If you go with the trends, yes, you'll lose money. That's where you have to weight the cost of gas vs. the depreciated loss in value of the automobile.
Which is worse? I'm in the worst of it, having a truk. :aintcare:

IDK man, I'm a car dude, I pay a premium for gas, it sucks, but I'll alter amount of driving, and driving style to save gas, but I won't cut out driving fun altogether.
If my budget is that fucking tight, I'll consider dumping the vehicle, but I'm way far off from that currently.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 am:popcorn:
:wrong:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am Also I use Fuelly like a boss.

No car calculator empeegeez here.
I did when I had the Miata, I should get back on this.

Also, that's not bad for the forks.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:28 am

Keep calm and boost on, Herr Pflugtag.
Stuck behind a bus and then a trash truck and then a 320i kept cutting me off and making me hit red lights :rage: I usually get better than that, about 16-18.
Johnny_P

Melon wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am

If you go with the trends, yes, you'll lose money. That's where you have to weight the cost of gas vs. the depreciated loss in value of the automobile.
Which is worse? I'm in the worst of it, having a truk. :aintcare:

IDK man, I'm a car dude, I pay a premium for gas, it sucks, but I'll alter amount of driving, and driving style to save gas, but I won't cut out driving fun altogether.
If my budget is that fucking tight, I'll consider dumping the vehicle, but I'm way far off from that currently.
Oh I don't personally give a shit about the increased fill up cost. But I know the rest of the country gets :crang: when it goes up and then people started to go :fullretard: buying into media panic with $12k Geo Metros that had been to the moon and back.

Been wanting an automatic. Just wondering if now is the time. Because it took many years for the buying public's retardation to retard.

FWIW, WTI (domestic) crude is trading $7 less per barrel than Brent. Meaning production is ramping up in the Dakotas again. So there will be some stabilization.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=36152
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I got you Johnny, didn't mean to seem like I was riding your ass.

Unless you're into that. :hubba: