Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Man. The MK8 R looks like it's going to be a big step up in the actual driving department. Why oh why did VW have to totally ruin the thing with all of the tech?

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:26 pm Man. The MK8 R looks like it's going to be a big step up in the actual driving department. Why oh why did VW have to totally ruin the thing with all of the tech?

:dat:
It's a shame, really. It'd be a LITTLE better if the shit actually worked, but it's been buggy as shit. :gag: :nope: :hellno:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I read somewhere where there are rumors VW will improve tech and quality once it hits the facelift timeframe for the mk8.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I enjoyed the video of the MK8, he makes a good point about the RS being taken out of production making the R the only new AWD hot hatch. And it looks like they have the rear bias thing worked out nicely. I bet it's a fun car to drive.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am I read somewhere where there are rumors VW will improve tech and quality once it hits the facelift timeframe for the mk8.
Maybe they will, but to actually solve the problem the MK8 needs more real estate for physical controls and that would require retooling the dash layout. I guess we'll see.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:19 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:58 am I read somewhere where there are rumors VW will improve tech and quality once it hits the facelift timeframe for the mk8.
Maybe they will, but to actually solve the problem the MK8 needs more real estate for physical controls and that would require retooling the dash layout. I guess we'll see.
fun little fact about Hondas, at one point Honda did a touch thing to press on the volume, but since soooo many people complained about it, they brought the knob back. My HRV rental is all touch other than the knob, but the accord has physical buttons.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

The fact that the temperature and volume sliders aren’t illuminated just blows my mind. Who needs to change that stuff at night anyway?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

The beginning is particularly hilarious.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:25 pm The beginning is particularly hilarious.

That is hilarious, thanks for that. I also think its ugly. like, the 5 was a little fugly, but its ok its the new gti. the 8 is just :gag: maybe the 9 will fix it much like the 6 did for the 5.
brain go brrrrrr
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

"Please wait" ... ugh.. this is what Diesel Gate gets you... No money to work on car so you get a half baked POS... due to all the money going to pay out law suits + EV shit.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’ve seen one in person. On top of that, did you know that the North American models also get cheap headlights because they developed the GTI with matrix LED for Europe but FDOT doesn’t allow matrix lighting here yet so the red line that was supposed to continue into the headlights doesn’t on any GTI in US/CA/MX
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:34 pm That is hilarious, thanks for that. I also think its ugly. like, the 5 was a little fugly, but its ok its the new gti. the 8 is just :gag: maybe the 9 will fix it much like the 6 did for the 5.
I still think the MK6 looked the best, at least the front end. MK7.5 is second for me. But I really liked how the hood on the MK6 was low over the grill and had two lines running up from the headlights that bulged up. It gave it a lower, more aggressive look. The 7 & 7.5 do exactly the opposite, I'd assume for pedestrian safety standards.

I don't mind the MK8 in photos, but I drove through a VW lot last week and they had one sitting out, and in person I kind of hated it. The grille up front is huge, just a massive sea of gray plastic, and the proportions of the rear look really off IMO. So it drives slightly better, but looks worse, and the UX is a disaster. :nope:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:34 pm That is hilarious, thanks for that. I also think its ugly. like, the 5 was a little fugly, but its ok its the new gti. the 8 is just :gag: maybe the 9 will fix it much like the 6 did for the 5.
I still think the MK6 looked the best, at least the front end. MK7.5 is second for me. But I really liked how the hood on the MK6 was low over the grill and had two lines running up from the headlights that bulged up. It gave it a lower, more aggressive look. The 7 & 7.5 do exactly the opposite, I'd assume for pedestrian safety standards.

I don't mind the MK8 in photos, but I drove through a VW lot last week and they had one sitting out, and in person I kind of hated it. The grille up front is huge, just a massive sea of gray plastic, and the proportions of the rear look really off IMO. So it drives slightly better, but looks worse, and the UX is a disaster. :nope:
Ditto. Agree with your assessment. When I get another GTI, it wont be an 8. The headlights look upside down!
brain go brrrrrr
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I’m still okay with the looks. R definitely looks better but I’d say the GTI is just alright. I still can’t get over the infotainment.

Also, reviews from both C&D and Motor Trend came out on the same day couldn’t be more different aside from hating the infotainment.

Motor trend says there’s too much understeer, manual stinks, DSG good, not very fun.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-vo ... ty-review/

C&D at lightning lap says almost no understeer, get the manual, has the soul of a sports car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... tning-lap/
wap

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:25 pm The beginning is particularly hilarious.

That is :lolol: and totally :gag: at the same time.
:rage:
wap

coogles wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:53 pm

These are my thoughts exactly after having both for a while now. 6 still rules for me, looks wise, inside and out.
razr390

I miss my MK6 but I too love both the 6 and 7.5. I am bided :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:27 pm Image

I didn’t know lo jack was still a thing.

That yellow is :disgust:
wap

I don't mind it in profile, and I don't even mind the color. I like the character line that runs from the headlight, down the flank through the door handles and fuel filler door, and ending in the tail light lens. Reminds me a bit of the Mk6.
Still getting used to that maw of a grill, :doe:
wap

Dat price :doe: :wtf: :disgust:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 pm I don't mind it in profile, and I don't even mind the color. I like the character line that runs from the headlight, down the flank through the door handles and fuel filler door, and ending in the tail light lens. Reminds me a bit of the Mk6.
Still getting used to that maw of a grill, :doe:
:dat: bringing back the Mk6 style shoulder was a good idea. I like the paint color too, it's fun to see bright colors on these cars.

Not liking the headlights/grill, and the back end looks like a Tiguan to me. Bleh.
wap

Yep.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 pm Dat price :doe: :wtf: :disgust:
When I bought my 15 GTI, it was almost $31 grand on msrp, now the base price is $29k, back then it started at $24k :sad:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:38 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:27 pm Image

I didn’t know lo jack was still a thing.

That yellow is :disgust:
That color is becoming the new smurf blue, I just saw a kia with that color yesterday, so wouldn't be surprised to see more pretty soon.