Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am I have a :gorf: so it might look different. That still aint right tho. It should be touching anything.

how in the eff did the :dillerman: destroy your suspension??
I wasn't in the car, so I don't know, but the service advisor at the dealership here thinks they probably hit a speed bump going way too fast. The mounts & bearings took a shit on both sides, and the end links bent too.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:02 am I have a :gorf: so it might look different. That still aint right tho. It should be touching anything.

how in the eff did the :dillerman: destroy your suspension??
I wasn't in the car, so I don't know, but the service advisor at the dealership here thinks they probably hit a speed bump going way too fast. The mounts & bearings took a shit on both sides, and the end links bent too.
Its clearly some kid fucking around with the car and hitting potholes, dat “certified” tech. Its a good thing I have a dashcam on my car now. Reminds me of this

Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 am
wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 pm Got a question for you VW boffins:

I've begun hearing a bit of a clunk, sounds kinda metallic, coming from the ass end when I hit bumps, but only sometimes. It's hard to repeat. Like it never happens when I go over RR tracks. Sometimes I think it only happens when the springs/shocks rebound and sometimes I think it's the spare tire moving around on that :dedong: big plastic bolt. Is this the infamous sub frame clunk I've heard about?
Wifes has a rear brake pad thats been missing its tension clip/spring. It rattles fiercely over small bumps. I need to take it apart and replace. I have a whole bag of clips if thats the issue.
Thanks, but it's not a rattle of any sort. It's a very occasional thunk or clunk that sometimes happens when I roll over my driveway obliquely. :dillerman: "could not replicate" but supposedly checked everything out underneath and found nothing amiss.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am
coogles wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am

Its clearly some kid fucking around with the car and hitting potholes, dat “certified” tech. Its a good thing I have a dashcam on my car now. Reminds me of this

This is way better than I would expect them to treat it ?! What’s the big deal ?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:09 am
4zilch wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:51 am That's why I asked. I had my WRX into Falcone a couple times and had good experiences. I wasn't sure if they'd been slippin.
The sales side was great, but I sort of rage quit on their service department. The first time I took the STi there for an oil change I asked them not to wash the car, but when I came out to get the car in that little drive-through next to the service advisors' desks, one of their $12/hr "detailers" had a dry BATH towel and was wiping off the hood. :wtf: Leaned over, one hand pressed on the hood, the other wiping back and forth with a friggen bath towel. When I asked him to stop he looked at me all confused and said "Oh, I'm just getting the loose dirt off." Right. Thank goodness for ceramic coatings.

Not the next visit, but the time after that for another oil change I'd noticed the service taking longer than the last two and went to bug my service advisor. It'd been an hour for just an oil change, this shit shouldn't take long. He told me "Oh, they're just about back from your test drive." Excuse me? Who the fuck said you could take my car for a test drive? Whoever took the car out put nearly 3 miles on the car, and it came back in Sport and not Intelligent like I'd left it. So, yeah. I e-mail the manager of their service department and let them know I wouldn't be back.
:stig:
wap

This past Tuesday, the 18th, marked 8 years since I bought my :turboyaris: :mindblown:

Almost at 65k miles, about 26% of that from long road trips. Still on original water pump, coil packs, brakes/pads, RMS, EGR valve, timing chain and tensioner, and all other mechanical oily bits.

Parts replaced to date include sunglasses holder because door wouldn't stay closed, AC compressor, diverter valve, one set of :225:

Interlagos interior and leather touch points are wearing remarkably well, with no visible signs of wear anywhere. Exterior paint is doing pretty well also, with the exception of a few chips on the front of the hood, front bumper, and fenders. I wax it maybe 1-2 times/year :aintcare: :doe: Also have very few chips on the windshield.

All electrical items and systems continue to work as designed.

Also radiator, AC condenser, headlights, 1 fog light, washer fluid bottle, hood, grill, and various other plastic doodads underneath the front end due to an argument with a road gator.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied and plan on keeping it 2-5 more years, depending on how it continues to treat me.

:csb:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:30 am

This is way better than I would expect them to treat it ?! What’s the big deal ?
I'm not seeing the problem here either?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Someone thinks that a scion 86 is a really fancy car that got destroyed during this meeting even though the owner will likely drive it far worse than this
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

wap wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:58 am This past Tuesday, the 18th, marked 8 years since I bought my :turboyaris: :mindblown:

Almost at 65k miles, about 26% of that from long road trips. Still on original water pump, coil packs, brakes/pads, RMS, EGR valve, timing chain and tensioner, and all other mechanical oily bits.

Parts replaced to date include sunglasses holder because door wouldn't stay closed, AC compressor, diverter valve, one set of :225:

Interlagos interior and leather touch points are wearing remarkably well, with no visible signs of wear anywhere. Exterior paint is doing pretty well also, with the exception of a few chips on the front of the hood, front bumper, and fenders. I wax it maybe 1-2 times/year :aintcare: :doe: Also have very few chips on the windshield.

Also radiator, AC condenser, headlights, 1 fog light, washer fluid bottle, hood, grill, and various other plastic doodads underneath the front end due to an argument with a road gator.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied and plan on keeping it 2-5 more years, depending on how it continues to treat me.

Well done and good luck or should I say I hope the luck keeps holding for you! :like:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:01 pm

dumps the clutch :iono:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

coogles wrote:Hey fellow MK7 bros - would any of you mind snapping a picture of your passenger side fenderwell with the wheel turned all the way out? After the :dillerman: fucked my suspension and bent the passenger side end link, the end link worked its way behind the liner and partially tore it away from the fender. Now even with the end link replaced it's catching on the liner...the whole thing just seems to close to the inside of the fender itself. Wondering if maybe something else is out of whack under there and could use a healthy car to compare to. Thanks!

Here ya go.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wap

Davestr wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:17 pm
wap wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:58 am This past Tuesday, the 18th, marked 8 years since I bought my :turboyaris: :mindblown:

Well done and good luck or should I say I hope the luck keeps holding for you! :like:
HA!
Thanks, Dave!
wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:52 pm
coogles wrote:Hey fellow MK7 bros - would any of you mind snapping a picture of your passenger side fenderwell with the wheel turned all the way out? After the :dillerman: fucked my suspension and bent the passenger side end link, the end link worked its way behind the liner and partially tore it away from the fender. Now even with the end link replaced it's catching on the liner...the whole thing just seems to close to the inside of the fender itself. Wondering if maybe something else is out of whack under there and could use a healthy car to compare to. Thanks!

Here ya go.

Oh wow. That really shows how borked Coogles' is. :dislike:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

wap wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:41 am

Wifes has a rear brake pad thats been missing its tension clip/spring. It rattles fiercely over small bumps. I need to take it apart and replace. I have a whole bag of clips if thats the issue.
Thanks, but it's not a rattle of any sort. It's a very occasional thunk or clunk that sometimes happens when I roll over my driveway obliquely. :dillerman: "could not replicate" but supposedly checked everything out underneath and found nothing amiss.
at the risk of sounding dumb, have you check for things in the hatch that maybe fell below deck lid?

wife was complaining of a squeak in the back. Sure enough, spare tire was rubbing.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

And I totally didn't get the top of the endlink. :derp:

But I think you can see the liner isn't anywhere close to it.

wap

dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:57 pm
at the risk of sounding dumb, have you check for things in the hatch that maybe fell below deck lid?

wife was complaining of a squeak in the back. Sure enough, spare tire was rubbing.
I have checked, yes. I've even removed the spare tar and drove around. Didn't make a difference.

I did "cure" a rattle once when I realized that one of the rear seat backs wasn't totally latched upright. Something to keep in mind if you hear a rattle back there again...
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 pm
dubshow wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:57 pm

I have checked, yes. I've even removed the spare tar and drove around. Didn't make a difference.

I did "cure" a rattle once when I realized that one of the rear seat backs wasn't totally latched upright. Something to keep in mind if you hear a rattle back there again...
My sunroof used to pop if I went over a driveway sideways. Or the hatch / doors would groan due to body flex.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Try this?

http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension/ch ... 5/6/7/mqb/
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:52 pm Here ya go.

So yeah, your end link is mounted through the outside of the swaybar, not the inside. Does that end link go through the back side of the strut or through the front like in my photo? I'm guessing the back, but the one I removed was mounted the way mine is, so I put it back that way. I don't recall if I'd tried to install it the other way or not.

p.s. - what is that white piece? My car doesn't have it, and that bolt hole between the end link and liner in your photo doesn't have anything in it at all. Some serious fuckery has gone on with this car, methinks.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:08 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:52 pm Here ya go.

So yeah, your end link is mounted through the outside of the swaybar, not the inside. Does that end link go through the back side of the strut or through the front like in my photo? I'm guessing the back, but the one I removed was mounted the way mine is, so I put it back that way. I don't recall if I'd tried to install it the other way or not.

p.s. - what is that white piece? My car doesn't have it, and that bolt hole between the end link and liner in your photo doesn't have anything in it at all. Some serious fuckery has gone on with this car, methinks.
I'll take another pic tomorrow morning.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote:I'll take another pic tomorrow morning.
Thanks dude, this is a huge help.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:I'll take another pic tomorrow morning.
Thanks dude, this is a huge help.
No problem.

It definitely appears that they fucked up fixing whatever they broke. This was a VW dealer right?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I think the white thing is my washer fluid reservoir. GTI has it in a different spot if I remember right.

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I will send a pic right now.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Coog, here’s how it looks on mine.

2018 MK7.5 GTI with 16,620 miles.

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.