Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

And with time I think they've become a better value. $40k for a loaded up :gorf: or a base BMW 320 or 328 with pretty much no options? Obviously I'm taking the :gorf: every time but I think others may have realized that too. :koolaid:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:46 pm IIRC Golf R always sold 5k units for a given year and that's it. I was ONLY supposed to be around once every 4 years...
2004 5k Units
2008 5k units
2012 FUBARED it ...3500 units and 2013 1700 units and FLATBRIMBROS DUMPED THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT RARE AND SPECIAL ANYMO... :fullretard: I think 2012 was really tough for golf R sales as we were coming out of recession and ain't nobody buying 40k manual golfs.

2015+ has been selling around that... 2-4k annually to vapers.
:dat: and people who were usually in the market preferred the DSG as well, so they had to settle for a GTI. However, mk6 R's in ROW (europe, turkey, middle east and perhaps south africa) manual R's are nonexistent.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:04 pm And with time I think they've become a better value. $40k for a loaded up :gorf: or a base BMW 320 or 328 with pretty much no options? Obviously I'm taking the :gorf: every time but I think others may have realized that too. :koolaid:
I don't see myself spending Golf R money for a bare bones f30 BMW with lifeless steering and without features that comes in standard in fucking accords nowadays. and when you want something that's actually faster (aka 335/340), you'd end up paying in the neighborhood of $48k minimum brand new. Not to mention, 3 series' are almost as common as your run off the mill japanese appliances nowadays.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:04 pm And with time I think they've become a better value. $40k for a loaded up :gorf: or a base BMW 320 or 328 with pretty much no options? Obviously I'm taking the :gorf: every time but I think others may have realized that too. :koolaid:
I don't see myself spending Golf R money for a bare bones f30 BMW with lifeless steering and without features that comes in standard in fucking accords nowadays. and when you want something that's actually faster (aka 335/340), you'd end up paying in the neighborhood of $48k minimum brand new. Not to mention, 3 series' are almost as common as your run off the mill japanese appliances nowadays.
Common yes, but the used proposition is epic in the BMWs. You can get a REALLY nice CPO for 10k less than a nice golf R. You can almost get an M3 for new golf R money.

But the golf keeps the resale quite well. Mk6s are nearly 30k still with low miles which is :fullretard: i got quotes for 32k + tax new.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Common yes, but the used proposition is epic in the BMWs. You can get a REALLY nice CPO for 10k less than a nice golf R. You can almost get an M3 for new golf R money.

But the golf keeps the resale quite well. Mk6s are nearly 30k still with low miles which is :fullretard: i got quotes for 32k + tax new.
True on used but then you can throw anything into the mix. Keeping it new vs new here's the prices on similarly equipped 3's.

320xi: $47,125
330xi: $53,075
340xi: $58,550
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 pm

True on used but then you can throw anything into the mix. Keeping it new vs new here's the prices on similarly equipped 3's.

new is :fullretard: . CPO provides a very good safety net of warranty, low low miles, inspection, also same generation etc.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apparently others are also having this issue with the drivers window switch. It still drives me nuts.

Anyone else with Mk7 eggs have this issue?

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... witch-Woes
max225

I had an intermittent issue on my Mk6 exactly as described.... never took it in though... because they can't fix shit out here.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm Apparently others are also having this issue with the drivers window switch. It still drives me nuts.

That's not an issue, it's just VW soul. My MK6 had some very rando very strange electronic stumbles that would come and go. Like forgetting how to switch the blend door on the AC, or falling asleep at the windshield wiper controls, or burning a tail light bulb out every 3 months.

Soul, brah.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:38 pm Apparently others are also having this issue with the drivers window switch. It still drives me nuts.

No problems with the auto-up or down, but if I only want to put the windows down partway, sometimes a window or two will only move a few inches and then stop. If I stop pressing the switch and then press again, whatever window had stopped moving will always get going again.

No other issues to report, captain.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 pm

That's not an issue, it's just VW soul. My MK6 had some very rando very strange electronic stumbles that would come and go. Like forgetting how to switch the blend door on the AC, or falling asleep at the windshield wiper controls, or burning a tail light bulb out every 3 months.

Soul, brah.
WAIT YOU HAD THE BLEND DOOR ISSUE ALSO? That was the single worst issue with my Mk6, on long drives 2+ hrs the blend door would "fall" or get "Stuck" in some position that wouldn't allow air to enter the cabin... which would mean.... 100F stink fest inside the car on your drive to LA. I had them try and "reproduce" the problem 2x including some "tech" taking it "home" and he lives 80 miles away... so 160 miles put on my car... and the issue was "not found".

:disgust: i gave up.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:23 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:03 pm

Soul, brah.
WAIT YOU HAD THE BLEND DOOR ISSUE ALSO? That was the single worst issue with my Mk6, on long drives 2+ hrs the blend door would "fall" or get "Stuck" in some position that wouldn't allow air to enter the cabin... which would mean.... 100F stink fest inside the car on your drive to LA. I had them try and "reproduce" the problem 2x including some "tech" taking it "home" and he lives 80 miles away... so 160 miles put on my car... and the issue was "not found".

Yeah. Only happened once though. Like you said, it was hot af and the car became a stink fest because it couldn't switch from floor to dash vents or something.

Let's see what else.

It constantly thought the right rear tail light bulb was out. I'd get errors for that about once a week but the light worked fine.

My electric steering stopped working once while I was going around a turn on the highway. It blinked out for a second then came back.

Right mirror defroster only worked on days it decided it wanted to.

One of the relays clicked when it got hot. No idea what it was for but there was a loud ass clicking if the car sat in traffic.

The most curious one though, was the windshield wipers. Every fucking time I used them. Set it to interval and watch. It would start at normal swipe speed, and with every swipe get just a hair slower, until it was basically snail pace crawling the wiper blades across the windshield. No shit it took 5 seconds to do a single swipe from start to finish. Then it would randomly wake the fuck up and go back to normal speed.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Yeah. Only happened once though. Like you said, it was hot af and the car became a stink fest because it couldn't switch from floor to dash vents or something.

Let's see what else.

It constantly thought the right rear tail light bulb was out. I'd get errors for that about once a week but the light worked fine.

My electric steering stopped working once while I was going around a turn on the highway. It blinked out for a second then came back.

One of the relays clicked when it got hot. No idea what it was for but there was a loud ass clicking if the car sat in traffic.

The most curious one though, was the windshield wipers. Every fucking time I used them. Set it to interval and watch. It would start at normal swipe speed, and with every swipe get just a hair slower, until it was basically snail pace crawling the wiper blades across the windshield. No shit it took 5 seconds to do a single swipe from start to finish. Then it would randomly wake the fuck up and go back to normal speed.
I blame the chinese :gaydance: That's terribad.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

Let's see what else.

That’s some Fucktoberfest luck
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

At times, my passenger side won’t do auto down, and sometimes driverside, but :aintcare: it does get irritating at times
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Its easy to recalibrate, I've done it like a dozen times to date. My wife's TReg did it a couple of times to date. She has a noticeably better system. I find that my windows only ever lose their reference if i shut the engine off while rolling up/ down the windows so now i roll them to where i want them to be and then turn off the ignition. Hasn't reoccured since.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Got a question for you VW boffins:

I've begun hearing a bit of a clunk, sounds kinda metallic, coming from the ass end when I hit bumps, but only sometimes. It's hard to repeat. Like it never happens when I go over RR tracks. Sometimes I think it only happens when the springs/shocks rebound and sometimes I think it's the spare tire moving around on that :dedong: big plastic bolt. Is this the infamous sub frame clunk I've heard about?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:49 pm Got a question for you VW boffins:

I've begun hearing a bit of a clunk, sounds kinda metallic, coming from the ass end when I hit bumps, but only sometimes. It's hard to repeat. Like it never happens when I go over RR tracks. Sometimes I think it only happens when the springs/shocks rebound and sometimes I think it's the spare tire moving around on that :dedong: big plastic bolt. Is this the infamous sub frame clunk I've heard about?
Some ball joint maybe? Sub frame is in the front mang. Then again I'm not an expurt.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 pm

Some ball joint maybe? Sub frame is in the front mang. Then again I'm not an expurt.
Ball joints are in the front too, no?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:27 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 pm

There are some multi-link things things the back too, or some loose/broken suspension bolts and components. I think a good mechanic should be able to find it. If it's intermittent just keep driving longer IMO
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:37 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:27 pm

There are some multi-link things things the back too, or some loose/broken suspension bolts and components. I think a good mechanic should be able to find it. If it's intermittent just keep driving longer IMO
Yea I'm DDing it NFG :aintcare:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just saw a CPO 2018 Golf R. With the new warranty and CPO, doesn't that mean this car basically has a 7 year 84000 mile warranty?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:55 am Correct me if I'm wrong but I just saw a CPO 2018 Golf R. With the new warranty and CPO, doesn't that mean this car basically has a 7 year 84000 mile warranty?
No, CPO is 2/24k or balance of factory, whatever is longer.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 pm

new is :fullretard: . CPO provides a very good safety net of warranty, low low miles, inspection, also same generation etc.
Some people have to get a poo brown MSport doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

http://www.tyrolsport.com/categories/su ... n-chassis/
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.