Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm going to need to downsize my wheels. Found this set of 16R wheels in black, the new tars are probably ahit, and one wheel has some curb rash but they are 225 18s, and black, so i can hand sand the rash and spray it with some shiny enamel paint. Dude says he's using wobble bolts to downsize them from 5x112 to 5x100s, and they are still balanced and true.

I'm going to pick them up next week. Probably throw my black mirror caps back on to make the look work. What do y'all think. Made a price deal of 1050 cash.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 am If I were you I’d remedy the 19” wheels for a set of all seasons on the 17’s or 18’s you have and just get another set of winters for real abuse. That should solve a few issues for you.
:dat:

What do you think about the factory 18s i posted?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:10 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:27 am If I were you I’d remedy the 19” wheels for a set of all seasons on the 17’s or 18’s you have and just get another set of winters for real abuse. That should solve a few issues for you.
:dat:

What do you think about the factory 18s i posted?
Not a fan of black wheels much but I was considering those at one point here locally.

I’d rock 17’s if you can find any for winter and use your current winter wheels as your daily, they looked :nice: last I saw them.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:24 am Morning folks!
So I've been putting a lot of thought into joining in on the cuckfest, and thoughts on what i need to make me a happy commuter.
The R has been on the receiving end of my criticism, specifically relating to space, political climate, under utilized performance due to excessive policing, and depreciation. I've even gone as far as reviewing stats on which Toyota products have better FE and rear seat leg room. Well, after all that deliberation, i found a likely winner to take me through the next four years of driving....

I sat in a 2021 Camry and Rav4, and they essentially have the same legroom, but the sloping roofline of the car makes it feel small and tight. The sales guy is a VW fan, so he and I also spent a few minutes looking at my R. For shits and giggles I put myself behind myself and surprised myself with how decent it really is back there.

At that point I realized that I'm being a silly bitch, and literally making up excused to get rid of my R. Unless i find a used Camry 2.5 non-hybrid, I'm dropping an extra 15k to make this trade. And what am i really gaining? Space? A bit sure. Better FE? Yes, but what does that equate to IRL, $500/year? Big deal. Nope, not going to :doit: , the car is reliable, and has a B2B warranty for another 2 yrs. Depreciation? I think I'm probably at 2-3k/yr no matter what i drive, i do a lot of mileage, so no car is saving me. FTW, the 17R stays 2-4 years longer.
I did a bit of math on FE. My taco at 18 vs something at 28 and we’re at $5 a gallon … the difference is $100 a month at 12k miles a year … $100… um yea :aintcare: buying a new car for say 30k results in 3000 in taxes …. That’s 30 months … to break even. Selling a car for FE is almost Never worth it unless you’re going from a $5000 truck to a $5000 Prius.

Selling the R for a Camry makes 0 sense. Depreciation ? You’re already done. The first 4 years are roughest on the R. Next 3 you’ll lose 5-7k, vs the 20 already gone. It’s literally 1/4 of what it used to be. And new cars especially camrys will be 50% cheaper in 2 years.
Last edited by max225 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

So I've been putting a lot of thought into joining in on the cuckfest, and thoughts on what i need to make me a happy commuter.
The R has been on the receiving end of my criticism, specifically relating to space, political climate, under utilized performance due to excessive policing, and depreciation. I've even gone as far as reviewing stats on which Toyota products have better FE and rear seat leg room. Well, after all that deliberation, i found a likely winner to take me through the next four years of driving....

I sat in a 2021 Camry and Rav4, and they essentially have the same legroom, but the sloping roofline of the car makes it feel small and tight. The sales guy is a VW fan, so he and I also spent a few minutes looking at my R. For shits and giggles I put myself behind myself and surprised myself with how decent it really is back there.

At that point I realized that I'm being a silly bitch, and literally making up excused to get rid of my R. Unless i find a used Camry 2.5 non-hybrid, I'm dropping an extra 15k to make this trade. And what am i really gaining? Space? A bit sure. Better FE? Yes, but what does that equate to IRL, $500/year? Big deal. Nope, not going to :doit: , the car is reliable, and has a B2B warranty for another 2 yrs. Depreciation? I think I'm probably at 2-3k/yr no matter what i drive, i do a lot of mileage, so no car is saving me. FTW, the 17R stays 2-4 years longer.
:fuckyeah: Makes total sense.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:20 am

I did a bit of math on FE. My taco at 18 vs something at 28 and we’re at $5 a gallon … the difference is $100 a month at 12k miles a year … $100… um yea :aintcare: buying a new car for say 30k results in 3000 in taxes …. That’s 30 months … to break even. Selling a car for FE is almost Never worth it unless you’re going from a $5000 truck to a $5000 Prius.

Selling the R for a Camry makes 0 sense. Depreciation ? You’re already done. The first 4 years are roughest on the R. Next 3 you’ll lose 5-7k, vs the 20 already gone. It’s literally 1/4 of what it used to be. And new cars especially camrys will be 50% cheaper in 2 years.
Thanks for the :math: breakdown Max. I've got to be really close to those #s with a 28 to 38 mpg adjustment. 5k over 4 yrs will beat the tax outlay, but not by much. Add to that a winter and summer setup, new mats, etc., and I'm back to where i started.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:40 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks for the :math: breakdown Max. I've got to be really close to those #s with a 28 to 38 mpg adjustment. 5k over 4 yrs will beat the tax outlay, but not by much. Add to that a winter and summer setup, new mats, etc., and I'm back to where i started.
And let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Golf r is still a pretty fun enthusiast car and not a toaster. There has to be value on that vs having to walk by 5 of the exact same car in the parking lot before getting into yours
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:46 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:40 pm

And let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Golf r is still a pretty fun enthusiast car and not a toaster. There has to be value on that vs having to walk by 5 of the exact same car in the parking lot before getting into yours
The counterpoint is that it does the opposite for me when I pull up to the cafeteria at Toyota and park in plain sight of my customers and their bosses who point out my lack of loyalty to the brand that dishes out big bucks for my services. It's total :bs: that my enthusiasm for fun cars has anything to do with my abilities and efforts, which contribute to them producing at the rate and quality that they do.

At the end of the day, i like my car and it probably has staying power because it is special. I have driven a Rav Trail Edition around the block, and it was decent, but I'd probably want to trade it for something more fun next :plac: flair up. I might as well skip a cycle.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:59 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:46 pm

The counterpoint is that it does the opposite for me when I pull up to the cafeteria at Toyota and park in plain sight of my customers and their bosses who point out my lack of loyalty to the brand that dishes out big bucks for my services. It's total :bs: that my enthusiasm for fun cars has anything to do with my abilities and efforts, which contribute to them producing at the rate and quality that they do.

At the end of the day, i like my car and it probably has staying power because it is special. I have driven a Rav Trail Edition around the block, and it was decent, but I'd probably want to trade it for something more fun next :plac: flair up. I might as well skip a cycle.
Joke back that you’ll accept a car allowance if they want to market themselves on the backs of robotics engineers…
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Joke back that you’ll accept a car allowance if they want to market themselves on the backs of robotics engineers…
We charge for travel costs lol
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 pm
razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:58 pm
Good so they can suck your butt then.
razr390

If I lived in Houston:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:56 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:30 pm

Good so they can suck your butt then.
This is the way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Picking up some :ramz: tomorrow. They are 18" MK6R factory wheels with no name tars that are in great shape. Apparently they are balanced and round, so hopefully that proves to be true. Should be a positive improvement.

I thought about what you said Rudy, but I'm going to keep the 17s as my winter setup. Not sure how the car does with 18s, but the MK6 Tdi felt okay with DG springs that sat lower then stock.

razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:51 pm Picking up some :ramz: tomorrow. They are 18" MK6R factory wheels with no name tars that are in great shape. Apparently they are balanced and round, so hopefully that proves to be true. Should be a positive improvement.

I thought about what you said Rudy, but I'm going to keep the 17s as my winter setup. Not sure how the car does with 18s, but the MK6 Tdi felt okay with DG springs that sat lower then stock.

Nice! Check the life of the tires, not just the tread. If they’re over 4 years old might be best to remove them. If you’re rocking daily tires and want good longevity and performance look at Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:19 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:51 pm Picking up some :ramz: tomorrow. They are 18" MK6R factory wheels with no name tars that are in great shape. Apparently they are balanced and round, so hopefully that proves to be true. Should be a positive improvement.

Nice! Check the life of the tires, not just the tread. If they’re over 4 years old might be best to remove them. If you’re rocking daily tires and want good longevity and performance look at Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s
I think they were mounted new last summer, so they are pretty recent. I burn through sets every two summers, so no tragedy either way, but I'm budgeting for these to be half decent. Once they wear out I'm probably going to grab the AS4S, heard great things about them!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I like the wheels and size, but the tires are kind of shit, thankfully the big complaints are snow traction. Few peeps complained about wet traction, so if they are really bad I might consider peeling them off for a better tire.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:15 pm I like the wheels and size, but the tires are kind of shit, thankfully the big complaints are snow traction. Few peeps complained about wet traction, so if they are really bad I might consider peeling them off for a better tire.
Pics make them seem like China brand tires. Blows my mind someone who rocks OEM wheels would sacrifice on the tires alone. Shit, you can get a set of not much more expensive "brand name" tires that are likely better.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:15 pm I like the wheels and size, but the tires are kind of shit, thankfully the big complaints are snow traction. Few peeps complained about wet traction, so if they are really bad I might consider peeling them off for a better tire.
Pics make them seem like China brand tires. Blows my mind someone who rocks OEM wheels would sacrifice on the tires alone. Shit, you can get a set of not much more expensive "brand name" tires that are likely better.
If they're not too bad I'll burn through them this summer and look for a deal in the late fall. Right now anything is an improvement, my whole car shakes above 65 mph. :sad:
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 pm
razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 pm

If they're not too bad I'll burn through them this summer and look for a deal in the late fall. Right now anything is an improvement, my whole car shakes above 65 mph. :sad:
You need to get them re-balanced. Do any shops in your neck of the woods have Hunter RoadForce machines?

IDK how it is in Canada but Michelin often runs $50-75 rebates on their tires if you were looking at AS4’s
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:12 pm

You need to get them re-balanced. Do any shops in your neck of the woods have Hunter RoadForce machines?

IDK how it is in Canada but Michelin often runs $50-75 rebates on their tires if you were looking at AS4’s
Funny thing about that, I went in to get them done and my wheel lock key got handed to me half way through the process, so i only had two done. Went to VW and had the locks removed. No time to balance, but I think I'm going to shelve them anyways. Need more sidewall for this life.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Tarspin wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:31 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:41 pm

Makes sense on why I replaced mine around 40k miles, perhaps non-PP brakes too.
I've read your stories about people cutting you off and the :rage: that ensued; You could probably find a few efficiencies in your driving behaviors. Pretty sure I'd be more comfortable as a passenger in the back seat of @irish or :wap: back seat.... :hubba:
:notwrong: :millennial: I actually had some people complained about me on this.

I'm not going off a limb and defend myself on this. I tend to drive less jerkier when I'm outside of the DC metro, outside of NYC, etc. same goes for Turkey too. In Istanbul, I have to be assertive, especially to get somewhere on time, parking situations, etc. Even though I ranted that particular incident on the forum when the car was new, I still encounter those nearly every 2-3 days and I just shrug it off. At times I still get defensive about it, when in reality I don't really have to unless theres a line of cars behind them and make me stuck there where I have to keep inching forward (typically bad for dual clutch transmissions) until one of those drivers gives in. I'm going to the city center tomorrow anyways (a little virtual tour) and will make a gopro video to see what it's like as I have promised ages ago.

But that being said,
Could I be a more efficient driver in terms of acceleration and braking (basically jerking the car less as possible), yes I could have been, maybe a bit of a compromise for the sake of my impatient habits, but I can also live with it as I have been driving my grandparents, people I have worked with, friends and their family who have visited from Turkey and my 2 year old cousin. But driving in both of areas, there is no guarantee that I can never once jerk the car, 3 if I'm lucky. Our drivers are quite timid and tend to get in your sight from the middle of nowhere.

Could I also drive a lot worse and be a dick? I can be if I want to, have done it here and there when I was younger, but remember, I was younger. I don't really remember the last time I did that. But I pretty much refuse to partake any sort of these shenanigans nor attract any sort of trouble, leaving it to the past.

I speed/get on it when it's safe (and no an interstate is NOT an autobahn, the surface I have driven in Turkey vs in the US are very different, needs a pavement overall first before its even remotely safe), not in the neighborhoods where kids run around and I don't treat cars like traffic cones. I use manual mode going downhill to engine brake. Also DSG does really well on engine braking once a hill gets steep, my Clio does the same where it becomes annoyingly slow too that I just switch to neutral and back to D just to go a little faster.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That interior is a total fucking disaster.

razr390

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:38 pm That interior is a total fucking disaster.

Agreed. Compared to the new A3 interior as well… crazy
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:48 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:38 pm That interior is a total fucking disaster.

Agreed. Compared to the new A3 interior as well… crazy
Fingers crossed for major corrections in the Mk8.5, but not holding my breath...
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.