Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:55 pm

Just get one of those big ass ball compasses and screw it to your dash. Stop whining. Start doing.
I looked at them, but they're stupid looking, and way too big.
Yeah was nor SRS. Those things are :wap: jokes from way back..
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:20 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I looked at them, but they're stupid looking, and way too big.
Yeah was nor SRS. Those things are :wap: jokes from way back..
:dat:
I seem to remember my WWII vet uncle having one in his old Ford about 50 years ago.

I was hoping there was something sleek, small, discrete, and digital available.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

wap wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:20 pm Yeah was nor SRS. Those things are :wap: jokes from way back..
:dat:
I seem to remember my WWII vet uncle having one in his old Ford about 50 years ago.

Rearview mirror compass?? Not sure if it can act independently though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm
wap wrote: :dat:

Rearview mirror compass?? Not sure if it can act independently though.

:iono: I think you can get a mirror from VW that has a built in compass, but iirc they're north of $200 and that's a big ol' :nope: for me.

Side note, I was driving home from the dentist yesterday and decided at the last minute to alter my usual route and more than once I wished I had a compass to make sure I was still going the right way. - To further answer Dirk's question from the other day.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:29 pm Rearview mirror compass?? Not sure if it can act independently though.

:iono: I think you can get a mirror from VW that has a built in compass, but iirc they're north of $200 and that's a big ol' :nope: for me.

Side note, I was driving home from the dentist yesterday and decided at the last minute to alter my usual route and more than once I wished I had a compass to make sure I was still going the right way. - To further answer Dirk's question from the other day.
Yeah there is OEM mirror with homelink and a compass. I just don't know if you need that compass module in the car already for it to work.

wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm
wap wrote:

Yeah there is OEM mirror with homelink and a compass. I just don't know if you need that compass module in the car already for it to work.

Yea, :iono: but methinks you might.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Gberg2119 wrote:
wap wrote: :iono: I think you can get a mirror from VW that has a built in compass, but iirc they're north of $200 and that's a big ol' :nope: for me.

I’d wager you probably do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

DAP actually has a page on it.

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/homel ... guide.html

Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Gberg2119 wrote:
So I guess this is a Mk7 thing then? I kept hill hold off in both my R's because it's incredibly sticky. I also find it odd that it would hold you even on a decline.

Never had an issue with it in my Mk6 though. Brakes seemed to release at the right time.

Yeah. My mk6 Jetta had a little hold, but was overall :notbad:

They seem to have beefed it up for the :derp: s in the mk7.

It doesn't seem too bad on my 19 GTI. I found that it can be overridden by a quick blip of the throttle before stepping off the brake. Then, it will act like a regular :manuel:.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Huckleberry wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:23 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:34 pm
Yeah. My mk6 Jetta had a little hold, but was overall :notbad:

They seem to have beefed it up for the :derp: s in the mk7.

It doesn't seem too bad on my 19 GTI. I found that it can be overridden by a quick blip of the throttle before stepping off the brake. Then, it will act like a regular :manuel:.
I've gotten pretty good at figuring it out 15K miles in, but I'll give blipping the throttle a go.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:56 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Maybe a :derp: question, but does the device part number indicates what the head unit features itself. The Tiguan that I have right now is a premium HU, no Nav. Tried connecting apple car play but does not seem to work, guessing it doesn't have that.
No idea on that. All the new tiggys should have CarPlay I thought.

My poverty-spec Jetta does.

There should be an app button that links to MirrorLink, CarPlay and AA.

I feel like it exists, probably a budgeted premium HU aka touch screen HU. I tried connecting and asking me to hold the voice button, holded it like good 20 seconds and nothing. It is technically a base model doe, no Nav, sound system, heated seats and moonroof. I could totally see this :derp: ing around in philly Johnny p style doe, but with a GTI engine (one I have is a 1.4t in the Jetta and 7 speed DSG, but got low end torque which is :notbad: . Bluetooth works (like it should) im more concerned about the convenience of GPS, hence the car play.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:56 am No idea on that. All the new tiggys should have CarPlay I thought.

My poverty-spec Jetta does.

There should be an app button that links to MirrorLink, CarPlay and AA.

I feel like it exists, probably a budgeted premium HU aka touch screen HU. I tried connecting and asking me to hold the voice button, holded it like good 20 seconds and nothing. It is technically a base model doe, no Nav, sound system, heated seats and moonroof. I could totally see this :derp: ing around in philly Johnny p style doe, but with a GTI engine (one I have is a 1.4t in the Jetta and 7 speed DSG, but got low end torque which is :notbad: . Bluetooth works (like it should) im more concerned about the convenience of GPS, hence the car play.
Ah. It could have something weird overseas. I don’t even think it’s offered with the 1.4T here.

That seems like a heavy car for a 1.4T.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:41 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Ah. It could have something weird overseas. I don’t even think it’s offered with the 1.4T here.

:dat: and not to mention most of the affordable cars around me are only 120hp at best, with the exceptions of BMW and Mercedes that are around 180 hp. Because any more larger engines displacement wise has additional taxes compared to the US. Pretty similar to European union countries as well and gas is expensive here.

Paired with the DSG however, it picks up fairly well and doesn't feel gutless, but definitely doesn't help to crack anywhere less than 10 for 0-60, does like 10.5
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:41 pm Ah. It could have something weird overseas. I don’t even think it’s offered with the 1.4T here.

:dat: and not to mention most of the affordable cars around me are only 120hp at best, with the exceptions of BMW and Mercedes that are around 180 hp. Because any more larger engines displacement wise has additional taxes compared to the US. Pretty similar to European union countries as well and gas is expensive here.

Paired with the DSG however, it picks up fairly well and doesn't feel gutless, but definitely doesn't help to crack anywhere less than 10 for 0-60, does like 10.5
Makes sense then. I forget how expensive gas is everywhere else.

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:07 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote:

Makes sense then. I forget how expensive gas is everywhere else.

When I rented a 1.3 Hyundai econobox 5 years ago, I paid like $75 for a full tank. It's :fullretard: expensive. Murica is literally one of the best countries for car guys, if not more.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:07 pm Makes sense then. I forget how expensive gas is everywhere else.

When I rented a 1.3 Hyundai econobox 5 years ago, I paid like $75 for a full tank. It's :fullretard: expensive. Murica is literally one of the best countries for car guys, if not more.
That is absolutely bonkers.

Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Going back to the discussion about Carista and tweaks, for shits and giggles, I tried to roll my windows down with the remote because it was hot yesterday. IT WORKED! No idea why, wondering if VW might have a temperature threshold for it to work.

wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:37 pm Going back to the discussion about Carista and tweaks, for shits and giggles, I tried to roll my windows down with the remote because it was hot yesterday. IT WORKED! No idea why, wondering if VW might have a temperature threshold for it to work.

:fuckyeah: No idea why it didn't work before, but I don't ever remember this feature being temp sensitive on my Mk6, though that had a completely different wiring system.
Maybe you needed to duty cycle the car on and off for it to work? Maybe it was actually active the first time you started the car after the mod but didn't try it until now? :iono:
Probably :wrong: :doe:
wap

Still want to buy a Carista.

Did you find a list of possible mods on line somewhere that it can do? I've been searching around but haven't found anything like that useful VCDS thread in the Mk6 forums of the Dead Zone.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote:Still want to buy a Carista.

Did you find a list of possible mods on line somewhere that it can do? I've been searching around but haven't found anything like that useful VCDS thread in the Mk6 forums of the Dead Zone.
I didn’t, but the mod list is pretty similar to VCDs.

I can take some screenshots and PM you.

wap

Wocka Wocka wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:27 pm
wap wrote:Still want to buy a Carista.

I didn’t, but the mod list is pretty similar to VCDs.

I can take some screenshots and PM you.

Sweet. Thanks!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Reviews have been out for a while but dang, new :gorf: is pretty damn fast. I thought I saw they were underrated and that they were actually putting out 340-350hp on dynos.

I'm liking it more and more which I figured I would. Styling has grown on me but its the interior I can't get past. Hopefully they realize their mistake and add more physical controls in the mid cycle refresh.

wap

:word:
The Mk8.5 is the one to wait for. Hopefully.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:22 pm Reviews have been out for a while but dang, new :gorf: is pretty damn fast. I thought I saw they were underrated and that they were actually putting out 340-350hp on dynos.

I'm liking it more and more which I figured I would. Styling has grown on me but its the interior I can't get past. Hopefully they realize their mistake and add more physical controls in the mid cycle refresh.

I love how ze Germans can just rippit on public roads legally and not kill themselves or go to jail. :jelly:
Last edited by Tar on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 pm :word:
The Mk8.5 is the one to wait for. Hopefully.
The capacitive controls bug me but it's also the screens themselves. Don't they seem over stylized? They're too cluttered and the blue background is especially annoying. It's probably retina searing at night.

I also have to keep reminding myself we're not going to get all the good stuff. No akra exhaust, led tails, bigger wang, and more I'm forgetting. And it'll probably be $45k+. :(