Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

I still love the belvedere wheels from the clubsport. Shame we never got them over here. I think they're forged too. Looks like ECS has them listed on their site now. :waxer: wheel for sure.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-eur ... zz-space-/

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm Question from someone who drove these things... how shitty does it ride on those 19s? And please don't give me this whole "Adjustable shocks are magic" and it "rides like a cadillac because of that".

Say golf R on 19s compared to last gen on 18s? or vs gti on 18s?

My current car is rolling on dubs, and it is a bit larger than the golf and a bit more compliant as a platform, but 18s would make the ride quite a bit better for a DD while likely giving up only a bit of handling.
I've driven both and, well, it rides like a Cadilliac because of DCC. Maybe not quite, but a Golf R on 19s with the DCC set to comfort feels pretty much exactly like my GTI on 18s with the non-adjustable dampers.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:46 pm Question from someone who drove these things... how shitty does it ride on those 19s? And please don't give me this whole "Adjustable shocks are magic" and it "rides like a cadillac because of that".

My current car is rolling on dubs, and it is a bit larger than the golf and a bit more compliant as a platform, but 18s would make the ride quite a bit better for a DD while likely giving up only a bit of handling.
I drive on both with the :gorf:. It doesn't ride like shit at all on the 19's. All the reviews that say there's a difference between drive modes are true. No it doesn't ride like a cadillac in comfort mode on the 19's but there is a noticeable difference in ride quality when changing modes. Also these aren't the GM shocks that constantly adjust while you drive. You set em and forget em.

The differences in drive modes are what you'd expect between the 2 different wheel sizes. Every mode is just a bit softer on the 18's.

Pretoria: 19x8 235/35 Pirelli P Zero PZ4
Raijin: 18x8 225/40 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+
The main issue for me is not the stiffness of the shocks, it is hitting various road imperfections (concrete slab overlaps for ex), there is physically less "rubber/air" to "absorb" the impact. I don't mind stiff, or soft or whatever it is the sudden impacts that reverberate through the vehicle with larger wheels that really bother me.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:39 pm

I've driven both and, well, it rides like a Cadilliac because of DCC. Maybe not quite, but a Golf R on 19s with the DCC set to comfort feels pretty much exactly like my GTI on 18s with the non-adjustable dampers.
Got it that explains it. The DCC is worth "1"". Makes perfect sense.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:09 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Did you ever drive an R with 19s compared to your car on 18s?
So nothing bottoms out, and there is a Comfort setting that gets the 19s to feel like 18x8.5" VMR V810s on my TDI with stock setup, but in Race mode the ride is choppy. Not sure if its STi stiff but up there. Comparatively, Comfort mode with my 17 inch winters feels like the TDI on 15" winters. So there is some suspension and chassis improvement that helps the R cope with 19s in a daily setting.
Perfect 2/2 folks essentially stated the same thing. :like:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Wish my car had adaptive shocks like that. Damn.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm Wish my car had adaptive shocks like that. Damn.
Go -1" on the wheels for the same effect. :iono: adjustable shocks only go so far.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:44 pm Wish my car had adaptive shocks like that. Damn.
Not exactly DCC, but https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpo ... tcount=321.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm
My god... :wtf: is that guy smoking.
mpressions: My first thought was how much the steering feel changed. The steering wheel felt, for lack of better words, more fluid. It felt so much easier to steer the car. Even going 10 mph, the car felt glued to the ground. Minor inputs of the wheel had a big effect on how the car moved. This I liked. I began remembering how the stock inputs felt. They felt as if the wheels were on the ground, but the car was simply floating on top and had to really struggle and work the steering wheel to get the car to move. It felt heavier, in a bad way. A lot more work to get the car pointed in the direction you wanted to go in. Now, it felt super smooth and fluid as I carved the back roads. This feeling alone made it worth it. It felt like butter. Now, I have had many sets of suspension in the past and know what it feels like to be in a back breaker.
Which is why it is so hard to "trust" anything you read on the internet.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I bet going from a rubber top hat to an aluminum camber plate with radial bearings does feel different.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:05 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

mpressions: My first thought was how much the steering feel changed. The steering wheel felt, for lack of better words, more fluid. It felt so much easier to steer the car. Even going 10 mph, the car felt glued to the ground. Minor inputs of the wheel had a big effect on how the car moved. This I liked. I began remembering how the stock inputs felt. They felt as if the wheels were on the ground, but the car was simply floating on top and had to really struggle and work the steering wheel to get the car to move. It felt heavier, in a bad way. A lot more work to get the car pointed in the direction you wanted to go in. Now, it felt super smooth and fluid as I carved the back roads. This feeling alone made it worth it. It felt like butter. Now, I have had many sets of suspension in the past and know what it feels like to be in a back breaker.
I have no idea what that paragraph is supposed to mean and I read it 5 times now.

I also struggle to understand how a 7kg/mm spring can feel softer than a 5.8kg/mm spring. His car likely rides much firmer and "stiffer" than stock while eliminating the bounce the stock STI has. The bounce elimination is all I'm after, which should be attainable with base WRX front dampers I'd think. I could always test drive a 2015 WRX at Carmax or something to verify the ride.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:17 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:05 pm

I have no idea what that paragraph is supposed to mean and I read it 5 times now.

I also struggle to understand how a 7kg/mm spring can feel softer than a 5.8kg/mm spring. His car likely rides much firmer and "stiffer" than stock while eliminating the bounce the stock STI has. The bounce elimination is all I'm after, which should be attainable with base WRX front dampers I'd think. I could always test drive a 2015 WRX at Carmax or something to verify the ride.
IIRC the WRX I drove felt relatively soft, it felt like a tincan but a soft one. A mk7 GTI rode much nicer for a DD.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:17 pm

IIRC the WRX I drove felt relatively soft, it felt like a tincan but a soft one. A mk7 GTI rode much nicer for a DD.
That's because Golfs have much softer springs.

STI front: 5.8kg/mm = 325 lb/in
STI rear: 5.2 kg/mm = 291 lb/in

MK7 R with DCC front: 250 lb/in
MK7 R with DCC rear: 190 lb/in

But yeah, a coilover with a 392 lb/in spring will ride better than stock :yeahok:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:32 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:26 pm

But yeah, a coilover with a 392 lb/in spring will ride better than stock :yeahok:
LIKE BUTTER BRO. ALSO STEERING WHEEL TURNS MUCH EASIER. :fullretard:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 pm

A number of pages later he states it rides as stiff as a stock STI does. :lol: But he's happy because it's lower. :lolol:
max225

Sounds like the WRX is at 217 front and 194 rear
max225

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/thread ... ring-Rates

So, to maintain full suspension travel and keep to minimal NVH we've come to 325# front and 300# rear. This is a minimum factorization.

So it sounds like the STI is perfect... according to a guy who at least describes his post using :science: and not feelings.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:33 pm

His alignment correction likely made all the difference in the steering butter slathering.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:34 pm Sounds like the WRX is at 217 front and 194 rear
Older GR chassis car
Current VA chassis, WRX base and STI use same springs rates, STI just a hair higher on the rear. Rear dampers are same. Front dampers are the difference, with the STI being a monotube and WRX being a twin tube.

:whocares: but apparently monotube dampers feel overly active at low speeds. i.e. bouncy.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:36 pm https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/thread ... ring-Rates

So, to maintain full suspension travel and keep to minimal NVH we've come to 325# front and 300# rear. This is a minimum factorization.

So it sounds like the STI is perfect... according to a guy who at least describes his post using :science: and not feelings.
Spring rate is pretty good. And really the dampers are fine at speed. It's just the low speed jiggles that annoy me.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Get this shit Subaru chat out of the aryan chat
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 pm Get this shit American chat out of the Mexican chat
Get your countries of origin straight :gaydance:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 pm Get this shit American chat out of the Mexican chat
Listen here bro, all I need to know is 3 words, USA
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:07 pm
razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Fuck they look good on a GTI.

Lmk if you get a set I’ll buy your stocks
You sir, are a wheel whore.
It's his new phone case jam.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:48 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Listen here bro, all I need to know is 3 words, USfuckinA
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.