Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the screens
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm
wap wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:31 pm :word:
The Mk8.5 is the one to wait for. Hopefully.
The capacitive controls bug me but it's also the screens themselves. Don't they seem over stylized? They're too cluttered and the blue background is especially annoying. It's probably retina searing at night.

I also have to keep reminding myself we're not going to get all the good stuff. No akra exhaust, led tails, bigger wang, and more I'm forgetting. And it'll probably be $45k+. :(
Would you pay $4500 for an exhaust ? The price is insanity.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Anyone have any experience with an older Mk6 TPMS light staying on even after having the correct tire pressure and resetting with the button?
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone have any experience with an older Mk6 TPMS light staying on even after having the correct tire pressure and resetting with the button?
I have not. Maybe give it a couple of key cycles to see if it turns off on its own? :iono:
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Irish wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:59 pm Anyone have any experience with an older Mk6 TPMS light staying on even after having the correct tire pressure and resetting with the button?
TPMS sensors have built-in batteries. If you never got new ones, they are probably dying/dead. Either that or could be something else wheel related, like a wheel bearing? :iono:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:51 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm

The capacitive controls bug me but it's also the screens themselves. Don't they seem over stylized? They're too cluttered and the blue background is especially annoying. It's probably retina searing at night.

I also have to keep reminding myself we're not going to get all the good stuff. No akra exhaust, led tails, bigger wang, and more I'm forgetting. And it'll probably be $45k+. :(
:nevermind:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm The capacitive controls bug me but it's also the screens themselves. Don't they seem over stylized? They're too cluttered and the blue background is especially annoying. It's probably retina searing at night.

It's part of the euro performance pack so it includes a bunch of other stuff like bigger wing, brakes, and I think drifto mode.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

razr390 wrote:
TPMS sensors have built-in batteries. If you never got new ones, they are probably dying/dead. Either that or could be something else wheel related, like a wheel bearing? :iono:
Mk6 doesn't have physical sensors on the wheels so there are no batteries to worry about.

Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote:
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:15 pm The capacitive controls bug me but it's also the screens themselves. Don't they seem over stylized? They're too cluttered and the blue background is especially annoying. It's probably retina searing at night.

:nevermind:

You're right. Its a standalone option. :ludacris:

wap

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:52 am
razr390 wrote:
Mk6 doesn't have physical sensors on the wheels so there are no batteries to worry about.

:dat:
After 2010, anyway (I think), when they switched to an ABS based system beginning with 2011 (I think). My 2011 had the ABS system that you reset with the button in the glovebox.
Irish

My 2012 has the button.... I read that after 2010 the system was abs based rather than sensor based....

So what is the fix?

Wouldn't I feel it if it were a bad wheel bearing?
wap

Irish wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:21 pm My 2012 has the button.... I read that after 2010 the system was abs based rather than sensor based....

So what is the fix?

Wouldn't I feel it if it were a bad wheel bearing?
Yup.

I'd think you'd feel, or hear, a bad wheel bearing. But I don't know if a bad bearing would trip that light, :doe:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:22 pm Reviews have been out for a while but dang, new :gorf: is pretty damn fast. I thought I saw they were underrated and that they were actually putting out 340-350hp on dynos.

I'm liking it more and more which I figured I would. Styling has grown on me but its the interior I can't get past. Hopefully they realize their mistake and add more physical controls in the mid cycle refresh.

sadly thats the future. FWIW I started to get over the exterior looks, the interior leaves a lot to be desired and I know for sure those volume "buttons" will induce :rage:
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Speaking of mk8, they have finally arrived to Turkey 10 months later than in Germany, France, etc. for a month now and I already spotted 4 mk8's already. In person it doesn't look too much different than the mk7 other than the fact it is nicer looking, there it looks better in person than in the pictures and videos. I think darker colors would help.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Still think the interior is a yuuuuge swing and miss and I still don't believe her about the price. No way this thing starts below 45k.

max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 am Still think the interior is a yuuuuge swing and miss and I still don't believe her about the price. No way this thing starts below 45k.

It’s probably 44,995 then if you want dsg another 2k...
Irish

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:15 am Still think the interior is a yuuuuge swing and miss and I still don't believe her about the price. No way this thing starts below 45k.

Pretty dang cool. Only 3 colors :doe: thats just :fullretard: for the flagship performance model .....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wholeheartedly agree on all points, although maybe Max is right in that it’ll start at $44,995 for the stick. At the risk of :deadhorse: , I just don’t get the move to digital all the things. The capacitive tough crap is especially :fullretard: . She claims “you get used to it”, but why should I have to get used to something that doesn’t improve the experience or functionality in any way? It’s dumb.

Alas, I still want one. Bring the cloth & alcantara seats over and I’ll probably be stupid enough to buy one.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:45 pm
Wholeheartedly agree on all points, although maybe Max is right in that it’ll start at $44,995 for the stick. At the risk of :deadhorse: , I just don’t get the move to digital all the things. The capacitive tough crap is especially :fullretard: . She claims “you get used to it”, but why should I have to get used to something that doesn’t improve the experience or functionality in any way? It’s dumb.

Alas, I still want one. Bring the cloth & alcantara seats over and I’ll probably be stupid enough to buy one.
Didn't Cadillac try this with "Cue" years ago and it was a massive flop? Capacitive buttons are a "solution" to a problem that didn't exist. I thought VW already went a little overboard with glossy black plastic in the Mk7's but they went :fullretard: on the Mk8. It's gross.

And sadly we won't get the cloth and alcantara. I'd gladly take them if it knocked $1-2k off the price.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:20 pm
coogles wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:45 pm

Didn't Cadillac try this with "Cue" years ago and it was a massive flop? Capacitive buttons are a "solution" to a problem that didn't exist. I thought VW already went a little overboard with glossy black plastic in the Mk7's but they went :fullretard: on the Mk8. It's gross.

And sadly we won't get the cloth and alcantara. I'd gladly take them if it knocked $1-2k off the price.
:dat: the only thing I liked was the fact that volume knob exist, but no longer as now you have to slide. Now that I have a car with no volume knob and had to tap the touch screen twice (thankfully it's buttons from a steering stalk, but not passenger friendly)
Irish

Pretty dang clean.... Some rust underneath, hard to tell how bad it is....

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/r4WOmA ... en-gti-18t
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

The battery in my 2019's key fob went dead yesterday. It only lasted for 1 year and 9 months.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:44 pm The battery in my 2019's key fob went dead yesterday. It only lasted for 1 year and 9 months.
I heard a few guys whose key fob batteries went out within a year, I'd go to :dillerman: for it, even though they might pull the "it's normal" card for it.
max225

Irish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:08 am Pretty dang clean.... Some rust underneath, hard to tell how bad it is....

Wow that thing is pretty minty. Some surface rust... not terrible.
wap

Irish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:08 am Pretty dang clean.... Some rust underneath, hard to tell how bad it is....

:megusta:
Mk4's are aging quite nicely, IMO. Really :nice: interiors, too.