Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:53 pm
Saw that. Brutal.

And yet the brand new Taos has a beautifully simple, modern interior with actual physical controls. Why VW decided to totally fuck the MK8 is beyond me.

razr390

coogles wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm
Saw that. Brutal.

And yet the brand new Taos has a beautifully simple, modern interior with actual physical controls. Why VW decided to totally fuck the MK8 is beyond me.

My friend knows the VWOA employee running Golf program.... I don't think they're messaging as much after he shared this video :yikes:

Also, Jason is such a good automotive journalist, this video aside.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

razr390 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:26 pm

Saw that. Brutal.

My friend knows the VWOA employee running Golf program.... I don't think they're messaging as much after he shared this video :yikes:

Also, Jason is such a good automotive journalist, this video aside.
:dat:
I used to enjoy reading him years ago when he wrote for, iirc, Automobile Magazine. Plus, he owns a Scirocco 16V, so you know he's super cool.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Saw that. Brutal.

I have to say, design wise in and out, the Taos looks quite familiar to the Seats CUV Ive seen so far.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap

Saw that. Brutal.

That's a fine interior in the Taos. So :| in the Mk8.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I think it looks great.
That user interface is a hard pass though. And Jason's comment of it never getting remotely sideways makes me kind of sad.

I wonder how it will compare to the WRX, which is also supposed to be mostly touch screen interface with this next gen.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:33 pm I think it looks great.
That user interface is a hard pass though. And Jason's comment of it never getting remotely sideways makes me kind of sad.

I wonder how it will compare to the WRX, which is also supposed to be mostly touch screen interface with this next gen.
Probably will be, but what a huge disappointment that would be. At least they haven't ruined the BRZ and GR86 yet.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:33 pm I think it looks great.

Yeah, I'm fine with the exterior, it's grown on me rather quickly. I actually see a bit of the Mk6 in the character line running down the flanks, which is :megusta: to me. But the UI is a big :nope: for me, too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dragged a basement living area worth of furniture from my place to Grand Bend in complete comfort. This truck is a beast, hardly knew that i was pulling the whole way.

We stayed in the Bend for the week, and UHaul has a program in place to allow one way travel for dedicated vehicles, having a built in hitch and a 4 pin flat to round adaptor for $15 saved us a few hundo on mileage and truck rental costs.

:wub: the T-reg even more after this trip!

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Speaking to the T-Reg again, I noticed recently that an idler (tension?) pulley seemed noisy last winter, I thought it might be losing a bearing but that went away on it's own as the weather got warmer and hasn't reoccurred. Not sure what to make of it, but I'm keeping an eye on it. No leaks yet, but one of the last dealership inspections also noted that the water-pump will need to be changed. I grabbed a set of T-sockets in a 3/8" drive sizing, or it may step up to a 1/2" in higher sizes, either way I grabbed it since it was the only set I could come across. It would be interesting to do my own water pump/idler pulley, and will dig into some DIY vids if I can find them online. Hopefully it is a fairly accessible job, or I might end up outsourcing it to an indy shop or the stealership. I know that the GTI thermostat on it's own is redonkulous unless you invent special tools to reach it from the top.
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

Thoughts on the '22 GLI? Looks like dealers will get em in November. I think VW made fewer mistakes with this one than with the new GTI.

caranddriver.com/photos/g37367571/2022- ... d-gallery/
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
razr390

RLWake wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:10 pm Thoughts on the '22 GLI? Looks like dealers will get em in November. I think VW made fewer mistakes with this one than with the new GTI.

I think it’s uglier and has that new steering wheel with capacitive bullshit
RLWake
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: CHEESE

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 pm
RLWake wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:10 pm Thoughts on the '22 GLI? Looks like dealers will get em in November. I think VW made fewer mistakes with this one than with the new GTI.

I think the looks are a wash compared to the '19-21. Only thing that seems to be bad with it is those buttons, but the steering wheel itself LOOKS a hell of a lot better,
2010 Audi TT APR Stg1 (sold) >> 2012 BMW 335i FBO (sold) >> 2009 Miata zoom-zoom spec "Cheese" (sold) >> 2022 Hyundai Elantra N + 1999 Miata Maacover Project
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

RLWake wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:18 pm
razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:16 pm

I think the looks are a wash compared to the '19-21. Only thing that seems to be bad with it is those buttons, but the steering wheel itself LOOKS a hell of a lot better,
I kind of like the look, it reminds me of older gen Accords, which isn't a bad thing really.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:iono: man, the auto journalists have really shit all over GLIs in recent years. It's a shame as the bang for buck seems pretty great. I can't say I have much want for any current gen VW stuff. I feel like the MK7 may have been peak GTI, moving forward it's now in the semi-autonomous pod vehicle crowd.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:31 am :iono: man, the auto journalists have really shit all over GLIs in recent years. It's a shame as the bang for buck seems pretty great. I can't say I have much want for any current gen VW stuff. I feel like the MK7 may have been peak GTI, moving forward it's now in the semi-autonomous pod vehicle crowd.
Sadly, I think you may be :notwrong: . And the rest of their offerings in Murica are just :whocares: CUV's and SUV's seemingly. I mean, the Arteon is cool, but I never see them anywhere. Unless the Mk8.5 corrects the wrongs of the interior, I may be done with VW after the Blue Meanie. :(
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:10 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:31 am :iono: man, the auto journalists have really shit all over GLIs in recent years. It's a shame as the bang for buck seems pretty great. I can't say I have much want for any current gen VW stuff. I feel like the MK7 may have been peak GTI, moving forward it's now in the semi-autonomous pod vehicle crowd.
Sadly, I think you may be :notwrong: . And the rest of their offerings in Murica are just :whocares: CUV's and SUV's seemingly. I mean, the Arteon is cool, but I never see them anywhere. Unless the Mk8.5 corrects the wrongs of the interior, I may be done with VW after the Blue Meanie. :(
:idbu:

Not much else is really more compelling. Your much hated Toyota is honestly the best of the non- :waxer: shit these days. Mazda is probably second.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Not much else is really more compelling. Your much hated Toyota is honestly the best of the non- :waxer: shit these days. Mazda is probably second.
:lol:
I'd throw H/Kia in there as well.
wap

I'd also consider a low-mileage Alltrack as well. Great Falls Green over tan would be :jimp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:49 pm

They certainly are building great stuff, :notsure: from an enthusiast standpoint, we'll see. Right now I'd say they're full appliance spec other than Veloster N.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:51 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:30 pm
They certainly are building great stuff, :notsure: from an enthusiast standpoint, we'll see. Right now I'd say they're full appliance spec other than Veloster N.
Elantra N and Stinger are all that come to mind at the moment, but at least they're both building something interesting.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Elantra N and Stinger are all that come to mind at the moment, but at least they're both building something interesting.
Yeah I agree, I would definitely put them higher on the list as far as brands I can appreciate in today's era, but they don't really build much I get excited about actually wanting to own.
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:07 pm
wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:59 pm

Yeah I agree, I would definitely put them higher on the list as far as brands I can appreciate in today's era, but they don't really build much I get excited about actually wanting to own.
That's getting more common lately. Affordable enthusiasts cars are disappearing. :(
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I don’t thing it will be soon that we will move on to fully autonomous. Also I see your point that your blue meanie is less engaging than the mk6, not gonna lie I still miss my mk6, my mk7 was great but I didn’t love it as much. It seems like lot of the new cars feels quite identical to each other. After driving 4 rentals, borrowed 2 different cars and the Clio. On the other end, in the land of seeing a previous gen 3 series at every other traffic light, I see Arteons every now and then, but maybe once a week. But the pricing is also at the same ballpark as the a4 as well.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.