Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:07 pm

Yeah I agree, I would definitely put them higher on the list as far as brands I can appreciate in today's era, but they don't really build much I get excited about actually wanting to own.
That's getting more common lately. Affordable enthusiasts cars are disappearing. :(
After being in Turkey for a while, I see fiestas and any other sub compact as much as I see CUVs in the US. It’s truly sad like ford is dumping their Fusions and Focuses, but they don’t sell that well anyway so it is a right business move after all. Reasons why Porsche made the cayenne then macan, Maserati made the Levante and so on, is to save their ass from potential bankruptcy. Last time I got to the US, guess what’s the cheapest rental was? A crossover...
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:18 am
wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Sadly, I think you may be :notwrong: . And the rest of their offerings in Murica are just :whocares: CUV's and SUV's seemingly. I mean, the Arteon is cool, but I never see them anywhere. Unless the Mk8.5 corrects the wrongs of the interior, I may be done with VW after the Blue Meanie. :(
I don’t thing it will be soon that we will move on to fully autonomous. Also I see your point that your blue meanie is less engaging than the mk6, not gonna lie I still miss my mk6, my mk7 was great but I didn’t love it as much. It seems like lot of the new cars feels quite identical to each other. After driving 4 rentals, borrowed 2 different cars and the Clio. On the other end, in the land of seeing a previous gen 3 series at every other traffic light, I see Arteons every now and then, but maybe once a week. But the pricing is also at the same ballpark as the a4 as well.
Agreed, we are nowhere near full autonomy, but the more electric, computerized, drive assisting, etc. cars get, the less unique each model will be. It becomes branding/badge whoring at a point, like how different is an iPhone from a Galaxy, really? Hardly at all.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

wap wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Sadly, I think you may be :notwrong: . And the rest of their offerings in Murica are just :whocares: CUV's and SUV's seemingly. I mean, the Arteon is cool, but I never see them anywhere. Unless the Mk8.5 corrects the wrongs of the interior, I may be done with VW after the Blue Meanie. :(
I don’t thing it will be soon that we will move on to fully autonomous. Also I see your point that your blue meanie is less engaging than the mk6, not gonna lie I still miss my mk6, my mk7 was great but I didn’t love it as much. It seems like lot of the new cars feels quite identical to each other. After driving 4 rentals, borrowed 2 different cars and the Clio. On the other end, in the land of seeing a previous gen 3 series at every other traffic light, I see Arteons every now and then, but maybe once a week. But the pricing is also at the same ballpark as the a4 as well.
I know you've shared this opinion before, but it still blows me away. My MK6 was a total :poop: pile compared to my MK7, and worse to drive in literally every way I can think of.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:09 am

I know you've shared this opinion before, but it still blows me away. My MK6 was a total :poop: pile compared to my MK7, and worse to drive in literally every way I can think of.
In my experience, it's mixed. Objectively the Mk7.5 is better in several ways. Definitely tighter chassis with fewer rattles. My Mk6 didn't rattle that much but the Blue Meanie is really solid. It's also noticeably faster and rides as well on 18's as the Mk6 did on 17's. OTOH, the Mk6 had a better interior, less cheap plastics, nicer steering wheel, much better UI on a better HU, and it had a COMPASS.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:45 am

In my experience, it's mixed. Objectively the Mk7.5 is better in several ways. Definitely tighter chassis with fewer rattles. My Mk6 didn't rattle that much but the Blue Meanie is really solid. It's also noticeably faster and rides as well on 18's as the Mk6 did on 17's. OTOH, the Mk6 had a better interior, less cheap plastics, nicer steering wheel, much better UI on a better HU, and it had a COMPASS.
I know the 7.5 had a liiiiitle bit of cost-cutting inside from the 7, but I think from 2011 to 2017 the interior is a push. Neither is better than the other, although I do appreciate the more aggressive bolsters in the newer seats. I did like the steering wheel better in the 6, at least, the one in the 7 is a bit thin. I thought the 2011 HU was trash - the 2017 is quicker, easier to navigate, and of course has AA and CarPlay, which my old car didn't.

As far as the chassis is concerned, though, the two don't even compare. My MK6 was a total wet noodle of a chassis, crashed into the bump stops constantly, and had rattles EVERYWHERE the second temps got below about 60*. I hated that car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I've driven two MK7s, :iono: pretty much felt the same as my GTI to me, but like +10%. It had the powah of a tuned MK6 and felt a bit stiffer in a good way, but much more the same than it was different. I think my perspective is just really different after driving a Corvette for years though, it sort of makes any GTI/328i type thing feel the same and a bit noodly in comparison.
wap

coogles wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:57 am
I know the 7.5 had a liiiiitle bit of cost-cutting inside from the 7, but I think from 2011 to 2017 the interior is a push. Neither is better than the other, although I do appreciate the more aggressive bolsters in the newer seats. I did like the steering wheel better in the 6, at least, the one in the 7 is a bit thin. I thought the 2011 HU was trash - the 2017 is quicker, easier to navigate, and of course has AA and CarPlay, which my old car didn't.

As far as the chassis is concerned, though, the two don't even compare. My MK6 was a total wet noodle of a chassis, crashed into the bump stops constantly, and had rattles EVERYWHERE the second temps got below about 60*. I hated that car.
Yeah, good point, the years make a big difference. The post Diesel Gate cars got cheapened out a lot. No underseat drawer, no sound deadening in the spare wheel well, no liner in the glove box, which also lost the cooling duct, no cover on the mirror bolts in the door jambs, etc, etc, etc. I also have the poverty HU which means I lost a CD player, compass, performance gauges, and even an AUX input. I hate AA so I don't care about gaining that. I also have to look at the HU to find and press the "button" to answer a phone call. On the Mk6 it was a slight move and press of my left thumb. Agreed on the better side bolsters and better chassis :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Waiting for my FEDEX package to arrive today like:

:excited: :excited: :excited:
:excited: :boxodicks: :excited:

The box of dicks will contain my new pads and rotors, can't wait to see what I bought!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I don't think I may referred completely. The mk7 indeed a better balanced car, a bit more refined, more rigid chassis, basically feels like a poor mans audi. Doesn't body roll, stock for stock doesn't wheel hop remotely as much (hell barely). However, the feeling of the mk6, the fizz it gives me is what makes me like the 6 over the 7, everything else, mk7 >>> 6. The mods Ive done to the mk6, like dogbone and so on, mk7 basically gave those from factory based on feel. But then again, my mk6 was a manual and my mk7 is a DSG. I know both of yours are :manuel:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:dat: very much :dat:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:00 pm Waiting for my FEDEX package to arrive today like:

:excited: :boxodicks: :excited:

The box of dicks will contain my new pads and rotors, can't wait to see what I bought!
If4Pics.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:13 pm
:dat: very much :dat:
:mahman:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm not entirely sure I'm as seppuku on the new Mk 8 R/GTI interior as everyone on here. My concern is that the whole electronic mess is problem ridden, not that it is digital. I mean, progress is unavoidable.
You're still getting a practical 315 hp AWD car that doesn't look like a cartoon character. And RON, from what I read you can configure the dash anyway you want so that you could only see a compass, for instance. Also monitors, boost, transmission temp, etc. I mean, I'm just as old fashioned as the next guy on here, but it still seems like a desirable vehicle to me. I mean, if we have an electric car like a Tesla, nobody is bitching about all the electronic displays, but they really should have left the Mk. 1 interior AS IS?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:09 pm I'm not entirely sure I'm as seppuku on the new Mk 8 R/GTI interior as everyone on here. My concern is that the whole electronic mess is problem ridden, not that it is digital. I mean, progress is unavoidable.
You're still getting a practical 315 hp AWD car that doesn't look like a cartoon character. And RON, from what I read you can configure the dash anyway you want so that you could only see a compass, for instance. Also monitors, boost, transmission temp, etc. I mean, I'm just as old fashioned as the next guy on here, but it still seems like a desirable vehicle to me. I mean, if we have an electric car like a Tesla, nobody is bitching about all the electronic displays, but they really should have left the Mk. 1 interior AS IS?
:deadhorse: but I think there's been a lot of negative feedback already for the move to all things digital in cars. Progress is great, but progress implies improvement. This isn't that. It's change for the sake of making something cheaper to manufacture or just for the sake of change itself.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:09 pm I'm not entirely sure I'm as seppuku on the new Mk 8 R/GTI interior as everyone on here. My concern is that the whole electronic mess is problem ridden, not that it is digital. I mean, progress is unavoidable.
:deadhorse: but I think there's been a lot of negative feedback already for the move to all things digital in cars. Progress is great, but progress implies improvement. This isn't that. It's change for the sake of making something cheaper to manufacture or just for the sake of change itself.
I get the argument there just aren't that many alternatives to that vehicle.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
coogles wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 pm :deadhorse: but I think there's been a lot of negative feedback already for the move to all things digital in cars. Progress is great, but progress implies improvement. This isn't that. It's change for the sake of making something cheaper to manufacture or just for the sake of change itself.
I get the argument there just aren't that many alternatives to that vehicle.
You're largely down to SUVs as "competitors" to a hatchback at this point. Sad!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

And I've honestly never heard anyone give Tessie interiors around here or really in any automotive journalism.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Cartoon car for the win.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:foreveralone:
wap

:jimp:
wap

:dat:
One simple button to perform one simple task without needing to take your eyes off the road vs several haptic taps to perform the same task while having to stare at the screen for several seconds.........no comparison.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

These arrived today:

OEM sized, 340 mm fronts :hubba:

I wasn't sure where the brake sensor plugs in, so it's my fronts that are sending a low pad msg... the rears are worse. I'll probably do these next week sometime. My life is crammed with too much other stuff.
Still, I'm very :fuckyeah: to get these installed!

wap

:nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Red pad material? :jimp:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

meatyyyyy