Das Auto: VW Chat

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 am
max225 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:02 am
How exactly does a fwd hatch put down 300+ whp through skinny ass tires. It was barely controllable in stock trim with the 235s skinny ass tires screaming for dear life as is. The last thing the gti needs is more power
Open diff I'd agree, my GTI was a handful from a stop at WOT. Magic diff might be different? IDK. I don't think the HP is worth losing the warranty. But that's just me. There would have to be other motives.
my :dealerman: SWEARS a tune alone from APR specifically will not void my powertrain warranty.

And I am EXTREMELY :notsure: He said they just went to training on dealing with tuned cars since APR is nearing partnerlike status with VWoA. and tunes have become so common.

They have the new APR plus tune which seems a bit more mild and covers APRs power train 60k warranty. for about double the cost of a regular Stg 1 tune.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

razr390 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am

Open diff I'd agree, my GTI was a handful from a stop at WOT. Magic diff might be different? IDK. I don't think the HP is worth losing the warranty. But that's just me. There would have to be other motives.
If I mod it would be an exhaust, Springs, and different wheel. But that’s all like $3,000 worth of stuff with installation. No thanks
I think the exhaust could be worth it.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 am

my :dealerman: SWEARS a tune alone from APR specifically will not void my powertrain warranty.

And I am EXTREMELY :notsure: He said they just went to training on dealing with tuned cars since APR is nearing partnerlike status with VWoA. and tunes have become so common.

They have the new APR plus tune which seems a bit more mild and covers APRs power train 60k warranty. for about double the cost of a regular Stg 1 tune.
Thing is. VWOA can always fall back on the tune to deny a powertrain claim if it's even loosely related. Leaking valve cover gasket? Unlikely to get denied. Blown transmission or differential? Hm.

I dunno. I want to get a tune on my car badly. I just don't want to deal with possible thousands of dollars of destroyed ring lands or bearings getting rejected because I wanted to make 30 extra HP and get a smoother throttle.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Having a tune does not void warranty. There are laws that protect consumers from this. To honestly void warranty, the manufacturer would need to prove that the tune was directly related to the failure. It's difficult to prove in front of judge and jury if you wanted to take it that far....most don't and just take the warranty denial and move on with life.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am
razr390 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am If I mod it would be an exhaust, Springs, and different wheel. But that’s all like $3,000 worth of stuff with installation. No thanks
exhaust is like $400 for a catback and thats like 1 hours install TOPS.

Springs $250 upfront buyt yeah, about 3 hours to install.

Wheels w/ tars? Biggest upfront cost and easiest install...
Bold is the biggest single mod one can do to improve a car's handling.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am ....most don't and just take the warranty denial and move on with life.
well no shit. Thats the exact case im trying to avoid.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote:
4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am ....most don't and just take the warranty denial and move on with life.
Get a piggyback tune and :aintcare: . Just physically pull it off if theres a problem and you need the dealer to look at your car. Used they are selling locally to me for $600, 7-800 with bluetooth module so you can tinker on your phone.

If you flash, assume you'll get denied for a claim unless VWoA sends you a letter stating the opposite. Sure you can win in court, but until you take steps like that they may not play nice. :iono:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am
dubshow wrote:
Get a piggyback tune and :aintcare: . Just physically pull it off if theres a problem and you need the dealer to look at your car. Used they are selling locally to me for $600, 7-800 with bluetooth module so you can tinker on your phone.

If you flash, assume you'll get denied for a claim unless VWoA sends you a letter stating the opposite. Sure you can win in court, but until you take steps like that they may not play nice. :iono:
I had a piggy back on the abarth. I loathe piggyback bullshit man.
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 am Having a tune does not void warranty. There are laws that protect consumers from this. To honestly void warranty, the manufacturer would need to prove that the tune was directly related to the failure. It's difficult to prove in front of judge and jury if you wanted to take it that far....most don't and just take the warranty denial and move on with life.
This is true. But if you keep it stock you know it's getting covered. If you spend $300 to correct the idiot OEM engineers' mistakes, you're looking at the possibility of fighting to get something covered when it's denied, with a strong possibility that you get nowhere with it.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am Get a piggyback tune and :aintcare: . Just physically pull it off if theres a problem and you need the dealer to look at your car. Used they are selling locally to me for $600, 7-800 with bluetooth module so you can tinker on your phone.

Lol okay I didn't realize its shit.
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:26 am
dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:17 am

exhaust is like $400 for a catback and thats like 1 hours install TOPS.

Springs $250 upfront buyt yeah, about 3 hours to install.

Wheels w/ tars? Biggest upfront cost and easiest install...
Bold is the biggest single mod one can do to improve a car's handling.
Agreed. Although a $150 sway bar really helped my Focus. Actually thought that was the best mod I did to that car.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 am
Obviously it's a gamble if your crangshaft fails, I'm just saying a tune =/= a voided warranty.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:45 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:44 am Get a piggyback tune and :aintcare: . Just physically pull it off if theres a problem and you need the dealer to look at your car. Used they are selling locally to me for $600, 7-800 with bluetooth module so you can tinker on your phone.

well it was a piggyback on a Fiat so....
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I should go get a law degree and specialize in breach of warranty suits.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am I should go get a law degree and specialize in breach of warranty suits.
Maybe a large engine manufacturer would hire you for their legalise team/
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

GAYPR finally releasing their cbe for GoRf. The end of the video is just the cbe with no downpipe.

Apex
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am I should go get a law degree and specialize in breach of warranty suits.
Get the repair covered under warranty, then charge the client double what it would have been for your attorney fees. :waxer:

:crang: s all over the country will :troywax: to say the repair was covered.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 am
Maybe a large engine manufacturer would hire you for their legalise team/
I've already done that, moar money on the consumer side.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:06 am
Get the repair covered under warranty, then charge the client double what it would have been for your attorney fees. :waxer:

:crang: s all over the country will :troywax: to say the repair was covered.
:dat:
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Every time I think about a tune I remember the clutch. It's opening an unnecessary can of worms on a car with a 6 year warranty. And there's no way the diller would back you on issues.

If we wanted fast GoRfs we should've gone DSGay.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 am

Every time I think about a tune I remember the clutch. It's opening an unnecessary can of worms on a car with a 6 year warranty. And there's no way the diller would back you on issues.

I love my driving experience. I dont like driving the DSG. The wifes is DSG. Its a great thing, just not for me.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 am

I love my driving experience. I dont like driving the DSG. The wifes is DSG. Its a great thing, just not for me.
Same. Close to 400hp with a t00n is very appealing but the clutch is pretty much guaranteed to be done. I don't think this is like the Mk6's either where some are good and some are bad with t00ns. Just from browsing around everyone who gets a t00n gets clutch slip within a couple thousand miles.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

A story as old as time... Just like "we're losing money on this :dill: " :dillerman:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

razr390 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am

If I mod it would be an exhaust, Springs, and different wheel. But that’s all like $3,000 worth of stuff with installation. No thanks
Probably more than that lol.
Say a catback $900 + $200-300 = $1,200
Vwr spring with install = $790ish atleast with mine

Already 2 grand!
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MexicanYarisTK wrote:
razr390 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:04 am If I mod it would be an exhaust, Springs, and different wheel. But that’s all like $3,000 worth of stuff with installation. No thanks
Probably more than that lol.
Say a catback $900 + $200-300 = $1,200
Vwr spring with install = $790ish atleast with mine

Already 2 grand!
:dat: because VW