Learn me 'bout tools

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Oh another thought regarding ratcheting wrenches, I personally only have ones that are reversible. The first time you pulling something out and then realize it’s to tight of a fit and you can’t remove the wrench, but you also can’t reverse it to back it up, you’ll be pissed. Save that aggregation.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:05 pm Tool kits kinda suck in my opinion for a couple reasons. They come in their blow molded cases and with cutout labeled areas where each piece goes, which isn’t bad, it just limits your ability to organize and grow your equipment . Also it has a an assortment of sockets from 8mm to 21mm but it typically won’t have a 9mm, 16mm, 18mm, they skip many sizes.
all valid points but its an ideal place to start for a n00b.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm Oh another thought regarding ratcheting wrenches, I personally only have ones that are reversible. The first time you pulling something out and then realize it’s to tight of a fit and you can’t remove the wrench, but you also can’t reverse it to back it up, you’ll be pissed. Save that aggregation.
when i was shopping those were both thicker and fatter and therefore less useful.

I've learned to check the direction BEFORE i stick the wrench in a tight spot....
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I want a set of those ratchet wrenches. They would come in very handy I think.

My craftsman socket kit has held up well for many years now. Just 3/8 drive but it works for nearly everything.

I should get a new torque wrench. Mine is a bar style not a clicker. Clicker would be good. I don't work on my car anymore though so who cares.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 pm
Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:44 pm Oh another thought regarding ratcheting wrenches, I personally only have ones that are reversible. The first time you pulling something out and then realize it’s to tight of a fit and you can’t remove the wrench, but you also can’t reverse it to back it up, you’ll be pissed. Save that aggregation.
when i was shopping those were both thicker and fatter and therefore less useful.

I've learned to check the direction BEFORE i stick the wrench in a tight spot....
I don’t mean it’s a tight fit to get the wrench in, I mean the wrenchnis on the bolthead and you start loosening the bolt, you back it out a 1/4 inch, now the gap between the bolt head and the the engine block or whatever is literally to small to fit the wrench to be able to remove it, but the wrench is not reversible so you can’t screw the bolt back in to gain the clearance to remove the wrench. At that point something is literally going to get destroyed in order to remove the wrench.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:13 pm

I don’t mean it’s a tight fit to get the wrench in, I mean the wrenchnis on the bolthead and you start loosening the bolt, you back it out a 1/4 inch, now the gap between the bolt head and the the engine block or whatever is literally to small to fit the wrench to be able to remove it, but the wrench is not reversible so you can’t screw the bolt back in to gain the clearance to remove the wrench. At that point something is literally going to get destroyed in order to remove the wrench.
That would indeed suck.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ITT Dbest get really angry for literally using the wrong tool for the job.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm

How? Isn't the point of those ratcheting wrenches to get to tight spots? His concern seems super valid.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm
I’m considering it for wheeling, actually.
You've got a cool group of ZR2/Colorado owners to wheel with near you. :jelly:
I am quite fortunate in that regard. Still, many of us do not carry tools because we forget that the trucks are new. It's a really good idea to have something JUST in case. Especially when I start doing more overlanding.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:28 pm

You've got a cool group of ZR2/Colorado owners to wheel with near you. :jelly:
I am quite fortunate in that regard. Still, many of us do not carry tools because we forget that the trucks are new. It's a really good idea to have something JUST in case. Especially when I start doing more overlanding.
Yeah, you will be incredibly glad you had tools if you ever needed them.

I'm waiting on a :dill: for something that I can keep under the back seat. I need to grab a tow strap and some shackles to keep there too.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:19 pm

How? Isn't the point of those ratcheting wrenches to get to tight spots? His concern seems super valid.
you'd have this problem with a regular box end. you clearly should be using the open end in this situations, with breaking it free with the box end.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:23 pm
I’m considering it for wheeling, actually.
$150 is free for that, Faxbro's $200 set may be even better.
When it's just trail repair, you don't need any tool imaginable. Really, I just need the smallest kit that includes all size sockets. I'm already toting around a 100 lb remote mount winch, don't need to go crazy.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:38 pm
you'd have this problem with a regular box end. you clearly should be using the open end in this situations, with breaking it free with the box end.
But they don't make open ended ratchet wrenches...or do they? :mindblown:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:47 pm

But they don't make open ended ratchet wrenches...or do they? :mindblown:
no, but my point is you would still get 'stuck' with a fixed box end.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:40 pm

I'm waiting on a :dill: for something that I can keep under the back seat. I need to grab a tow strap and some shackles to keep there too.
I keep a tow strap, a Factor55 receiver shackle, and a lose shackle in the truck under the seat at all times. I then have a bag with my kinetic recovery rope, soft shackle, tree saver, snatch block, two more hard shackles, and tire deflators that I throw in the truck when I'm going wheeling with the winch.

I've used it all too, pretty amazing.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I keep a tow strap, a Factor55 receiver shackle, and a lose shackle in the truck under the seat at all times. I then have a bag with my kinetic recovery rope, soft shackle, tree saver, snatch block, two more hard shackles, and tire deflators that I throw in the truck when I'm going wheeling with the winch.

Those Factor55 receiver shackles look :tits:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

Kind of :waxer: but I like that it's aluminum and it's quite a bit beefier than anything else on the market.
ChrisoftheNorth

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:31 pm

$150 is free for that, Faxbro's $200 set may be even better.
When it's just trail repair, you don't need any tool imaginable. Really, I just need the smallest kit that includes all size sockets. I'm already toting around a 100 lb remote mount winch, don't need to go crazy.
Dis might become my trail repair kit...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-230-piec ... ockType=G2#
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 pm

Kind of :waxer: but I like that it's aluminum and it's quite a bit beefier than anything else on the market.
Yeah, little on the :waxer: side, but I have only heard fantastic things about Factor55 stuff.
Plus, I can get it in blue or orange...
ChrisoftheNorth

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-172-piec ... ockType=G1

Or just go all metric...with nearly every metric size imaginable.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:03 pm
Yeah, little on the :waxer: side, but I have only heard fantastic things about Factor55 stuff.
Plus, I can get it in blue or orange...
I went with black with a red shackle. 5/7.
ChrisoftheNorth

BTW, bright colored shackles are a must. When it's dark out and you're trying to recover a rig, the last thing you want is a shackle that gets lost because it's black.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm http://www.sears.com/craftsman-172-piec ... ockType=G1

All metric and includes more wrenches. I'd go with that one.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:12 pm http://www.sears.com/craftsman-172-piec ... ockType=G1

It's more than I'd ever need for a trail repair on my truck.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:17 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

It's more than I'd ever need for a trail repair on my truck.
Exactly the one to get then.