Learn me 'bout tools

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciated the help.

Ill make many of these changes.

I am a super huge fan of ratcheting wrenches. But I know that I dont need them right away. Many of these items could probably wait a bit. But I have the financial means right now and I was basing many of the tools off what I have used with friends and in their garages.
Barnes93cb

Also not totally sold on that craftsman kit. Too many screwdriver bits that I dont need. Not nearly enough wrenches. Id have to buy another set to really have enough.

But it does have more sockets.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:19 am Also not totally sold on that craftsman kit. Too many screwdriver bits that I dont need. Not nearly enough wrenches. Id have to buy another set to really have enough.

It's alot of stuff for a little bit more and it's great having it when you need it
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:38 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:19 am Also not totally sold on that craftsman kit. Too many screwdriver bits that I dont need. Not nearly enough wrenches. Id have to buy another set to really have enough.

It's alot of stuff for a little bit more and it's great having it when you need it
I found another 5% off code and couldn’t pass it up. So the kit is currently being shipped to my moms house. I’ll get it when I return from deployment.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:38 pm

I'm actually surprised how much I use the little stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

It may have already been said, but I’d buy a 300-ish piece mechanics tool set and a box. That’ll get you 90% of what you need.

I bought a craftsman set when I went to school and still use them today. Aside from replacing missing/broken tools, I haven’t bought anything other than special tools.

Also consider a smallish air compressor and a nice battery powered impact wrench.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 am It may have already been said, but I’d buy a 300-ish piece mechanics tool set and a box. That’ll get you 90% of what you need.

I bought a craftsman set when I went to school and still use them today. Aside from replacing missing/broken tools, I haven’t bought anything other than special tools.

Also consider a smallish air compressor and a nice battery powered impact wrench.
Look up a few posts. I just bought a craftsman 450 piece kit. Ill hold off on buying anything else until after I move to Texas.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:25 pm
4zilch wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 am It may have already been said, but I’d buy a 300-ish piece mechanics tool set and a box. That’ll get you 90% of what you need.

Look up a few posts. I just bought a craftsman 450 piece kit. Ill hold off on buying anything else until after I move to Texas.
:like:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

And home Depot has some good deals on tool cabinets. I have the big Milwaukee one and for the price it's great. It will suffice until you can buy a fap-on.
Barnes93cb

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm And home Depot has some good deals on tool cabinets. I have the big Milwaukee one and for the price it's great. It will suffice until you can buy a fap-on.
Im a fan of the husky lineup. Its pretty nice for the money. I cant comment on anything outside of craftsman, husky, or US general. Even general was pretty solid. Vandorin had his for years and we abused the shit out of it before he traded it out. Thing still worked like new.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:51 pm And home Depot has some good deals on tool cabinets. I have the big Milwaukee one and for the price it's great. It will suffice until you can buy a fap-on.
Im a fan of the husky lineup. Its pretty nice for the money. I cant comment on anything outside of craftsman, husky, or US general. Even general was pretty solid. Vandorin had his for years and we abused the shit out of it before he traded it out. Thing still worked like new.
I think all those are about the same price/quality for entry level stuff so pick your preference. I like Milwaukee because that's the power tool brand I decided to go with. Drawers on it felt nice to me as well.

I do not like the brand Lowe's sells.
Barnes93cb

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:56 pm

I think all those are about the same price/quality for entry level stuff so pick your preference. I like Milwaukee because that's the power tool brand I decided to go with. Drawers on it felt nice to me as well.

I do not like the brand Lowe's sells.
I like the kobalt boxes from lowes. But thats about it.
Milwaukee is nice. My dad swore by it until he died. But their stuff is a bit more than I want to pay. I like their power tools also. Its what I used when roofing before I enlisted.
ChrisoftheNorth

I bought the giant Kirkland brand toolbox from Costco a few years back. It's ridiculously nice.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Don't know if anybody's mentioned it yet, but since Barnsey is thinking of buying a house, some thought should be given to house repair-related tools. These may be obvious, but again, I didn't see them mentioned:

Pliers, including needle nose
Crescent wrenches
Channel locks
Wire cutters
Linesman's pliers
Hacksaw
Cordless drill - I'm :balls: deep in the Ryobi universe but Milwaukee and Makita are 5/7 also
Monkey wrenchs
Vice grips
A few good extension cords
A full suite of gardening tools including shovels, rakes, hedge trimmers, branch saw, etc.
Electrical tape
Teflon tape

That's all that comes to mind at the moment.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 am Don't know if anybody's mentioned it yet, but since Barnsey is thinking of buying a house, some thought should be given to house repair-related tools. These may be obvious, but again, I didn't see them mentioned:

Crescent wrenches
Channel locks
Wire cutters
Linesman's pliers
Hacksaw
Cordless drill - I'm :balls: deep in the Ryobi universe but Milwaukee and Makita are 5/7 also
Monkey wrenchs
Vice grips
A full suite of gardening tools including shovels, rakes, hedge trimmers, branch saw, etc.
Electrical tape
Teflon tape

Ridged, Ryobi and Milwaukee are all owned by the same Chinese conglomerate. So they are all going to be pretty good.

Milwaukee test some products with those brands before releasing their version
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 am Don't know if anybody's mentioned it yet, but since Barnsey is thinking of buying a house, some thought should be given to house repair-related tools. These may be obvious, but again, I didn't see them mentioned:

Crescent wrenches
Channel locks
Wire cutters
Linesman's pliers
Hacksaw
Monkey wrenchs
Vice grips
Electrical tape
Teflon tape

ITT barnes should not buy a house

but crescent wrenches should be on the list and we have neglected this, good catch.
I'd also recommend a good LED headlight.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:24 am

Crescent wrenches
Channel locks
Wire cutters
Linesman's pliers
Hacksaw
Monkey wrenchs
Vice grips
Electrical tape
Teflon tape

Ridged, Ryobi and Milwaukee are all owned by the same Chinese conglomerate. So they are all going to be pretty good.

I did not know this.
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:26 am

Crescent wrenches
Channel locks
Wire cutters
Linesman's pliers
Hacksaw
Monkey wrenchs
Vice grips
Electrical tape
Teflon tape

ITT barnes should not buy a house

but crescent wrenches should be on the list and we have neglected this, good catch.
I'd also recommend a good LED headlight.
I'm not here to pass judgement on whether or not he should or shouldn't buy a house. I'm just making suggestions for good house-related tools in case he does.

LED headlight is a good suggestion, too.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:33 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 11:24 am

I did not know this.

http://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:01 am Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciated the help.

I am a super huge fan of ratcheting wrenches. But I know that I dont need them right away. Many of these items could probably wait a bit. But I have the financial means right now and I was basing many of the tools off what I have used with friends and in their garages.
Today only

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M ... /304710301
Barnes93cb

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:29 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 3:01 am Thank you everyone for the input. I really appreciated the help.

Today only

Thats one hell of a deal. I might need to jump on it.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am

Today only

This deal pops up every 3-4 months if you can't pull the trigger at this time
ChrisoftheNorth

Today only

Oh shit, I didn't even know something like this existed! I have an air ratchet that's fantastic. 5/7 would buy this, maybe I need to...
Barnes93cb

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 am

This deal pops up every 3-4 months if you can't pull the trigger at this time
Ive got plenty of money for this. Might as well get it now then.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:48 am

Today only

Oh shit, I didn't even know something like this existed! I have an air ratchet that's fantastic. 5/7 would buy this, maybe I need to...
It's why I chose the Milwaukee "ecosystem". They are heavily investing into new specialty tools like this. Mostly for building but still. They have a huge tool lineup.

12 and 18 volt.