Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Neat in theory, but if you go to an RV show or dealer and see the comparable units that are converted like this from RV builders you start to realize fast these are cramped and a pain in the ass to use for more than an overnight car camping trip. This goes for all the Mercedes Sprinter van conversions as well.

I'm so :disgust: with the whole RV thing now after spending several months looking at Class A, Class B and Class C coaches. There's no good happy medium for these things. You want small enough to go places, but big enough to be comfortable. When you decide to go small, you find out quickly you really want one with water tanks and some kind of bathroom.... storing food and water in a Transit conversion takes most of the space, and you still need to go somewhere with a toilet and shower near by.

The closest thing we found that bridged the gaps was this one configured as the Murphy Bed floorplan at 25 feet overall length:

https://leisurevans.com/unity/specifications/

https://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans/

Short enough to enter all of the national parks and be driven and parked just about anywhere, short enough to go under everything you would need to. Smart space use, and the bed can be used without extending the pop out, but you lose the ability to walk around the foot of the bed and would need to crawl over it if the pop out is not extended.
That's a really nice motorhome. Could even shove the bike in there! :notbad: I like it. $140k is tough to swallow though.

I agree, if you're going to get one you can stand up in, it damn well better have a usable cooking area and a sink. A bathroom is nice, although chances are this isn't going to be camped on the side of a highway or a walmart parking lot, almost every campground has toilet and shower facilites (that are for sure use at your own risk, lol). Some pickup truck camper shells have toilets and showers now but they're not nearly as nice as this is.

Like, I'm trying to figure out how to outfit a 4Runner with a sleeping area and interior bike storage and you run out of space :fullretard: fast when you consider how big coolers and water jugs are even for just 3 days off grid. And then you're still pooping in a hole outside in the cold. Honestly probably just better off giving it up and tent camping at that point. What sucks is, I'm like 75% of the way to figuring this out...
Yeah, this one is nice.

Also remember nobody pays MSRP for an RV if they are smarter than a 5th grader.

The one I wanted to configure was $155k MSRP and without an RV sale, just looking at the dealer they quoted me $118K to start a build. These are all built to order and take about 3 months to get.

They are built on the Mercedes diesel chassis which are known to be the top of the line.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Neat in theory, but if you go to an RV show or dealer and see the comparable units that are converted like this from RV builders you start to realize fast these are cramped and a pain in the ass to use for more than an overnight car camping trip. This goes for all the Mercedes Sprinter van conversions as well.

I'm so :disgust: with the whole RV thing now after spending several months looking at Class A, Class B and Class C coaches. There's no good happy medium for these things. You want small enough to go places, but big enough to be comfortable. When you decide to go small, you find out quickly you really want one with water tanks and some kind of bathroom.... storing food and water in a Transit conversion takes most of the space, and you still need to go somewhere with a toilet and shower near by.

The closest thing we found that bridged the gaps was this one configured as the Murphy Bed floorplan at 25 feet overall length:

Short enough to enter all of the national parks and be driven and parked just about anywhere, short enough to go under everything you would need to. Smart space use, and the bed can be used without extending the pop out, but you lose the ability to walk around the foot of the bed and would need to crawl over it if the pop out is not extended.
That's a really nice motorhome. Could even shove the bike in there! :notbad: I like it. $140k is tough to swallow though.

I agree, if you're going to get one you can stand up in, it damn well better have a usable cooking area and a sink. A bathroom is nice, although chances are this isn't going to be camped on the side of a highway or a walmart parking lot, almost every campground has toilet and shower facilites (that are for sure use at your own risk, lol). Some pickup truck camper shells have toilets and showers now but they're not nearly as nice as this is.

Like, I'm trying to figure out how to outfit a 4Runner with a sleeping area and interior bike storage and you run out of space :fullretard: fast when you consider how big coolers and water jugs are even for just 3 days off grid. And then you're still pooping in a hole outside in the cold. Honestly probably just better off giving it up and tent camping at that point. What sucks is, I'm like 75% of the way to figuring this out...
Why are you trying to store the bike inside? I can get 3-days worth of stuff, bikes on a trailer, and have some sleeping room in the Fiesta.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I PPF the hood, front quarters, headlights, top shelf of the rear bumper and front bumper of the Gorf. I like how it looks in person and have saved myself an array of stone chips and possibly two cracked headlights. I don't see why someone would let their 150k car get beat up like that when there's an easy solution. The film is cut to size in xy cutting plotter so no risk to the paint whatsoever.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

I was thinking about you the other day as I drove past an older Pathfinder for sale on the side of the road. Something like a 2008. More room than an Xterra but should still suffice for any light off-roading?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I looked into pathfinders quite a bit. once they went 3 row they just got way too big/fat. There were some issues with the radiators/trannys as well.
max225

@DGriff did the C5 get fixed yet?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm I PPF the hood, front quarters, headlights, top shelf of the rear bumper and front bumper of the Gorf. I like how it looks in person and have saved myself an array of stone chips and possibly two cracked headlights. I don't see why someone would let their 150k car get beat up like that when there's an easy solution. The film is cut to size in xy cutting plotter so no risk to the paint whatsoever.
My detailer does PPF, and even he told me not to have him do it. He uses the patterns from 3 different film makers and has his plotter and he said that to do it right, I would want the custom fit from bulk film wrapping over the edges of the panels.

I looked at 2 Model 3's he was doing last night and he showed me the problems with the patterns and said for something like the 911 the patterns were "too shitty", his words. :lol:

I did agree, as I told him I didn't want to see any film lines at all.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm I PPF the hood, front quarters, headlights, top shelf of the rear bumper and front bumper of the Gorf. I like how it looks in person and have saved myself an array of stone chips and possibly two cracked headlights. I don't see why someone would let their 150k car get beat up like that when there's an easy solution. The film is cut to size in xy cutting plotter so no risk to the paint whatsoever.
My detailer does PPF, and even he told me not to have him do it. He uses the patterns from 3 different film makers and has his plotter and he said that to do it right, I would want the custom fit from bulk film wrapping over the edges of the panels.

I looked at 2 Model 3's he was doing last night and he showed me the problems with the patterns and said for something like the 911 the patterns were "too shitty", his words. :lol:

Model 3 PPF i suppose that makes a little more sense. Those things should be driven into oblivion in no time. I got lines on my M3... kind of annoying in certain conditions but overall. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

What's worse...lines or stone chips?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:00 pm What's worse...lines or stone chips?
Lines.

The chips can't be seen from 2 feet away if you use Dr. ColorChip.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Lines.

And there's your answer.

Agreed, Dr. Colorchip works wonders.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:36 pm

Why are you trying to store the bike inside? I can get 3-days worth of stuff, bikes on a trailer, and have some sleeping room in the Fiesta.
3 months of sitting on a roof or in a dust/salt/slush cloud on the back of the vehicle will kill a bike.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:06 pm
Lines.

You should see my rear fenders... :disgust: I wonder if Dr ColorChip would work on that... not that I care... but I'd much rather lines.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:49 pm

I was thinking about you the other day as I drove past an older Pathfinder for sale on the side of the road. Something like a 2008. More room than an Xterra but should still suffice for any light off-roading?
Late gen Xterras are cheap though. Those pathfinders were :neat: but they are rather cramped inside because the cabins are short, and most of the Pathfinders/Passports have rusted to absolute shit at this point. Same with Isuzu Troopers.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Late gen Xterras are cheap though. Those pathfinders were :neat: but they are rather cramped inside because the cabins are short, and most of the Pathfinders/Passports have rusted to absolute shit at this point. Same with Isuzu Troopers.
What's rust?
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:18 pm

Oh, 2008 era, whoops. IRS but a V8 available, those things are gigantic. Not a bad option I guess.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Ok I see where you're coming from. If you're looking for prestine finish, no lines, perfect clearcoat consistency then PPF could be a turn off.

I'd take the lines and keep my factory paint mint but i also enter a war zone of stone chuckage on the 401 highway twice a week or more.
Johnny_P

Maybe a regular ol NA Forester with a CVT would be best pick for me. Better fuel mileage, still generous ground clearance, arguably better snow/ice performance than a 4Runner with part time 4WD while getting close to double the fuel mileage. Just wouldn't likely be able to do the off road mountain passes, which honestly I'll probably get snowed out of anyway.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm Maybe a regular ol NA Forester with a CVT would be best pick for me. Better fuel mileage, still generous ground clearance, arguably better snow/ice performance than a 4Runner with part time 4WD while getting close to double the fuel mileage. Just wouldn't likely be able to do the off road mountain passes, which honestly I'll probably get snowed out of anyway.
CrossTranny is the one to get. You don't need a forester.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:44 pm Maybe a regular ol NA Forester with a CVT would be best pick for me. Better fuel mileage, still generous ground clearance, arguably better snow/ice performance than a 4Runner with part time 4WD while getting close to double the fuel mileage. Just wouldn't likely be able to do the off road mountain passes, which honestly I'll probably get snowed out of anyway.
Foresters are cheaper and will swallow a mountain bike easier.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:45 pm

:wat: CrossTranny is the cheapest subaru with ground clearance.
21,895 vs 24,295 for Forester.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 pm

Used. Not buying a new appliance like that. $14k ish gets you a well cared for one with like 60-80k on it. :notbad:
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Used. Not buying a new appliance like that. $14k ish gets you a well cared for one with like 60-80k on it. :notbad:
These vehicles are disposable, 80-100k will require headgaskets, no thanks. They lease for $200 a month.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

max225

We have a thread for poverty 4x4s.