Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:04 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:46 pm

Un fucking believable, No spare? on a Fraud?? I wondered why barely see them as cabs.
Weight savings, which is critical in a hybrid. Our Volt didn't come with a spare either. I ended up buying one, and I throw it in the back when we go on trips.
My god, yes I just remembered it :derp: :sad:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am Lisa got a flat yesterday in her C-Max while on a bridge on I-95. At night. In the freezing cold. With cars whizzing by at 70 MPH.

AAA came and towed it. Tow truck guy was amazed that there wasn't a spare in it. It's a fucking Ford not a BMW/Benz/whatever, and it does not have run flat tires. :facepalm:

Oh well, tow was free, needs a new tire which is expensive but whatever I guess. I felt like I couldn't help her though.
Un fucking believable, No spare? on a Fraud?? I wondered why barely see them as cabs.
Optional on the Focus, too. It was an option on my old FoST.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am

now that I think about it, when I was lurking on Mustang forums, I believe perf pack doesn't come with one either iirc. But still a dumb move if you ask me. If I'm not mistaken, same story with mk7 R.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 am
fledonfoot wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:52 am

now that I think about it, when I was lurking on Mustang forums, I believe perf pack doesn't come with one either iirc. But still a dumb move if you ask me. If I'm not mistaken, same story with mk7 R.
It does not.

My GT PP came with a shoebox sized inflator that also automatically dispensed tire slime to seal a hole...

Uh.. at that point just use Runflats like the Corvette.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

My m3 comes with a compressor and a can of slime they can be used independently. The compressor came in handy on 3 other vehicles other than my own. I prefer it to a spare
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am My m3 comes with a compressor and a can of slime they can be used independently. The compressor came in handy on 3 other vehicles other than my own. I prefer it to a spare
Unless there's a hole in the sidewall (like you'd get hitting a pothole)...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:37 am My m3 comes with a compressor and a can of slime they can be used independently. The compressor came in handy on 3 other vehicles other than my own. I prefer it to a spare
I don’t think my car would be drivable after I’d pop a wheel if I hit something that hard since I don’t have sidewalls. I am hyper aware of this though... gotta LOOK where you’re driving which sucks of course.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:50 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:44 am
I don’t think my car would be drivable after I’d pop a wheel if I hit something that hard since I don’t have sidewalls. I am hyper aware of this though... gotta LOOK where you’re driving which sucks of course.
Your wheel would be toast, but the car would be drivable with a spare.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

My spare tire void comes with a subwoofer in place of a tire. At least I can listen to some phat beats while waiting to get flat bedded.

I do have a compressor and tire sealant foam, which in many cases seems appropriate along with roadside assistance.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Why is the slime even a thing? If the hole is big enough there's no chance it'll fix it. And if it's small enough why would I want to :jizz: up the inside of my wheel when I can pump it full of enough air to get to a gas station and get it patched/plugged.

I'll never use the slime that came with my car.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm Why is the slime even a thing? If the hole is big enough there's no chance it'll fix it. And if it's small enough why would I want to :jizz: up the inside of my wheel when I can pump it full of enough air to get to a gas station and get it patched/plugged.

No idea... the regular :derp: owner doesn't even know where the spare is... let alone what "slime" is.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:44 pm Why is the slime even a thing? If the hole is big enough there's no chance it'll fix it. And if it's small enough why would I want to :jizz: up the inside of my wheel when I can pump it full of enough air to get to a gas station and get it patched/plugged.

That :jizz: will destroy TMPS sensors for cars that have them.

Run flat tires would be a better option for cars that don't have spares, really.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:15 pm

Run flat tires would be a better option for cars that don't have spares, really.
That too. Slime is just a bunch of :fakenews:
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:23 pm

That too. Slime is just a bunch of :fakenews:
Any sane person understands this... and wouldn't use it. If you're dumb enough to do that you're either so desperate that you HAVE TO in which case it is excusable, or stupid in which case you deserve it.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:35 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 am

It does not.

My GT PP came with a shoebox sized inflator that also automatically dispensed tire slime to seal a hole...

Uh.. at that point just use Runflats like the Corvette.
Thats what I thought, cause i remember fucking around with built your own and finding out that silly issue
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

crap I didn't know dis
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:08 pm

crap I didn't know dis
Nobody does. Then the tire shop says ok that's $20 for the patch job and $150 for a new sensor because the goop killed it. So it's more than a new damn tire in some cases.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

crap I didn't know dis
oh yeah man. BUT with vw you can use the pump with out the :jizz: can. I would know. Pump it and pray you can make it to a tire shop.
max225

dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 pm

crap I didn't know dis
oh yeah man. BUT with vw you can use the pump with out the :jizz: can. I would know. Pump it and pray you can make it to a tire shop.
It works for most leaks, if you have a gash big enough to require a spare you will likely have bigger issues (suspension etc)
Johnny_P

crap I didn't know dis
I've had a $20 12v Craftsman made in China air compressor under the seat in my cars for the last 10 years. I use it all the time.

But yeah I agree, if it's a nail or glass or something (most cases) you can just fill it back up, and take care of the leak in a day, month, year, whenever it gets annoying to keep putting air in it. My usual procedure is to hobble it in to work, where I remove the wheel and plug it right in our parking lot. A pack of plugs is like $5 and I can usually seal it after a try or two.

My GTI was a nail magnet for some reason. Something about the DWS tread just grabbed onto nails. I had one rear tire with like 3-4 plugs in it when I finally got new tars on it :lolol:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm

It works for most leaks, if you have a gash big enough to require a spare you will likely have bigger issues (suspension etc)
Any sidewall damage will render it un-driveable.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:17 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:10 pm

Any sidewall damage will render it un-driveable.
A nail sticking out of the sidewall is "unfixable" but it'll drive just fine with a small leak. Which is where the compressor argument comes in. Something big enough to make a "gash" would obliterate my vehicles' wheels+ suspension.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:36 pm

crap I didn't know dis
Nobody does. Then the tire shop says ok that's $20 for the patch job and $150 for a new sensor because the goop killed it. So it's more than a new damn tire in some cases.
Well, shit.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:
dubshow wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 pm oh yeah man. BUT with vw you can use the pump with out the :jizz: can. I would know. Pump it and pray you can make it to a tire shop.
I've had a $20 12v Craftsman made in China air compressor under the seat in my cars for the last 10 years. I use it all the time.

But yeah I agree, if it's a nail or glass or something (most cases) you can just fill it back up, and take care of the leak in a day, month, year, whenever it gets annoying to keep putting air in it. My usual procedure is to hobble it in to work, where I remove the wheel and plug it right in our parking lot. A pack of plugs is like $5 and I can usually seal it after a try or two.

My GTI was a nail magnet for some reason. Something about the DWS tread just grabbed onto nails. I had one rear tire with like 3-4 plugs in it when I finally got new tars on it Imageol:
My Mk5 was a nail magnet too. Ended up buying a $20 pump from pep boys and it's been in my cars ever since. Probably about 10 years old now and still going strong.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/c ... one-elses/ --

Porsche's Intake Manifold Works the Opposite of Everyone Else's
And the result is more horsepower from less fuel.