Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Huckleberry
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2004 GTO

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm

max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 pm
troyguitar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm
I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.
Cadillac ELR :disgust:
aka the Cimarron, pt. II.

Huckleberry
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: 2004 GTO

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:30 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:46 pm
max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Atteacting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a labro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Oh I don't want loud noises, just great sounding noises... I've no clue how loud a stock GT350 is in person. It sounds perfect on my stereo system but that's got a volume knob on it.
The ones I've heard in person haven't seemed to be too loud. Of course, those were GT350s and not the 350Rs. I don't know if the exhaust is different between the two.

I also haven't ridden in one, so I can't attest to drone.

Apex
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: CookieMonster

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm

Tarspin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm
ISF is a great option
I was thinking about these yesterday for some reason. :like:

Detroit
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm

max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
Hard to say. New Cadillac EV is on all-new EV architecture. Obscene capital is being invested in the platform and technology to go with it. It could end up being legit.
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

max225
Drives: Kamry XSE

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm
https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
Hard to say. New Cadillac EV is on all-new EV architecture. Obscene capital is being invested in the platform and technology to go with it. It could end up being legit.
Well I sure hope it is the #1 capital outlay in the company, not what is being spent on :truck: 's there needs to be an electrified :truck: division as well. A few brokeback cowboys to market it after it is all said and done.

GM NEEDS TO DO THIS TO SURVIVE. This is America, this is GM's home base, where the customers are most loyal. China will swing to whichever direction the wind is blowing, they :aintcare: so investing there... meh... it is a double edged sword. GM needs to be an innovator, not a follower.

Detroit

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:56 pm

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Well I sure hope it is the #1 capital outlay in the company, not what is being spent on :truck: 's there needs to be an electrified :truck: division as well. A few brokeback cowboys to market it after it is all said and done.

GM NEEDS TO DO THIS TO SURVIVE. This is America, this is GM's home base, where the customers are most loyal. China will swing to whichever direction the wind is blowing, they :aintcare: so investing there... meh... it is a double edged sword. GM needs to be an innovator, not a follower.
That's what all the layoffs and restructuring is ensuring, freeing up capital to plow into EV and advanced tech.

No idea on the truck development. I think it's more important to get a class-leading EV CUV out first. That's where the volume is in the industry. Truck sales are increasing, but nowhere near as much as CUVs. Nobody has made a solid CUV EV. The Model X looks like a pregnant Model S that costs 100k, and the Jag iPace, which looking neat, seems to have some tech challenges. What else is there?

The first OEM to make a solid EV CUV will win the volume race, but there absolutely needs to be further innovation after that.
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

Detroit

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Huckleberry wrote:
max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Cadillac ELR :disgust:
:lolol:

It wasn't THAT bad. At least it had unique body and interior. The interior was :mindblown: nice too.
Desertbreh wrote:

Johnny_P
Drives: Burble

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm

CaleDeRoo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm
10spd Mustang GT with valved exhaust is a hell of a car. Especially if you get the full digital display etc

Sounds better than the gt350
Yep a schwinnstang GT would be rad. The fahv-oh is a beast as is, no need for a broken flat plane crank motor.

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Tarspin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 pm
:wasteful:

Let me open with a clear statement that what I'm going to say is opinion and I'm equally :wrong: , and not trying to push my ideas on your future car purchase plans... Just had a sec to ponder the discussion.

As an owner of two C.F., I recommend four doors for anyone planning on making some in a year/near future. Otherwise two yrs from now any one of these scratched to hell :doge: transporting racekars will be up for offer and will likely take a resale hit for not being in meticulous condition. No judgement either way, there's something to be said about DD an actual fun car, and I'm fortunate enough to be doing it in a gorf that lives on well paved roads and mainly highway travel, which keeps its somewhat fragile build in good condition. It's awesome to let it rip through onramps/straight aways once in a while and give me that bit of joy in an otherwise boring drive.

From the cars listed above, a 3 series sounds like it has potential, or maybe a nicely appointed MB C-series, :jeep: , :taco: , 300/Charger with the :poop: -pack, etc. But since the roads are shit and space for parking is tight, the smaller the better and lifted. :truk: , CUV think would be in its element. Why bother looking at brand new CUVs when they constantly get compared to used sedans and sports cars. 16k gets someone a three yr old CRV/Rav4/CX5/etc and will last a decadewith zero fooks given. Might be a bit boring I guess. BMW is like the opposite of Japanese cars, depreciation and costly repairs await. Blow out a tie rod, 1k... and so on.
Oh for sure. It would be a 1-year cash fire. Everyone knows when you have 1 cf you need to get a massive dopey vehicle. 2cf might as well just get a minivan. This only needs to haul the fur child.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Detroit wrote:
max225 wrote:

That's what all the layoffs and restructuring is ensuring, freeing up capital to plow into EV and advanced tech.

No idea on the truck development. I think it's more important to get a class-leading EV CUV out first. That's where the volume is in the industry. Truck sales are increasing, but nowhere near as much as CUVs. Nobody has made a solid CUV EV. The Model X looks like a pregnant Model S that costs 100k, and the Jag iPace, which looking neat, seems to have some tech challenges. What else is there?

The first OEM to make a solid EV CUV will win the volume race, but there absolutely needs to be further innovation after that.
The H is making an electric version of the Kona :notsure: if it's a CUV or SUV :doe:
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.

Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm
max225 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm

That’s not bad.... gtrs are great but too expensive man
Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Are we back on supercar ownership while parking outside in a Northeast City with Bagdad road conditions? :impressive:

That STI report is :notbad: considering your sitch.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Detroit

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:39 pm

4zilch wrote:
Detroit wrote:

The H is making an electric version of the Kona :notsure: if it's a CUV or SUV :doe:
Oh yea, forgot about that.

I guess I should have clarified that I meant a vehicle on a dedicated EV platform. The EV Kona is still basically a Kona isn't it?
Desertbreh wrote:

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:44 pm

Detroit wrote:
4zilch wrote:

I guess I should have clarified that I meant a vehicle on a dedicated EV platform. The EV Kona is still basically a Kona isn't it?
:dat:

It's just another powertrain offering AFAIK
Melon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:41 pm
Don't discuss things you want on here.

This is only a place for 100% facts.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Detroit wrote:
4zilch wrote:

I posted the E tron vid here. You completely forgot about it... I guess :whocares: Audi created a dedicated factory+platform for the E tron it kind of looks like an all road but it is actually completely separate from anything else they have made.
Why GM doesn't have anything similar out yet is beyond me. All that "Volt" money should have been reinvested in a true EV. No one wants the Volt or the Bolt, they should have never made it past concept. Imagine if those resources were pooled and a true EV was made that looked good, the bolt is actually a really :neat: vehicle that is close to the correct price point, but the styling fucked the car which is a real shame.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Detroit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:57 pm
Huckleberry wrote:

:lolol:

It wasn't THAT bad. At least it had unique body and interior. The interior was :mindblown: nice too.
It is unacceptable for a 75k +MSRP car to use the same powertrain as a 35k car, with 1/2 the utility.

Also what is so Great about this... it is :notbad: but other than the dash it is lifted straight from the ATS, which no one liked... thanks to those "touch buttons" on the center stack. Also the price point of the ATS is sub 50k...

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Are we back on supercar ownership while parking outside in a Northeast City with Bagdad road conditions? :impressive:

That STI report is :notbad: considering your sitch.
I'm very cautious where I park the thing. But yeah it's been a non issue really. Of course I say that and now I'll get backed into by a UPS truck this weekend.

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote:

I posted the E tron vid here. You completely forgot about it... I guess :whocares: Audi created a dedicated factory+platform for the E tron it kind of looks like an all road but it is actually completely separate from anything else they have made.
Why GM doesn't have anything similar out yet is beyond me. All that "Volt" money should have been reinvested in a true EV. No one wants the Volt or the Bolt, they should have never made it past concept. Imagine if those resources were pooled and a true EV was made that looked good, the bolt is actually a really :neat: vehicle that is close to the correct price point, but the styling fucked the car which is a real shame.
There's also the :neat: Jag I-pace.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote:

The ass is hideous... I can't get over it. It reminds me of that failed swedish company. Fisker.

Etron looks great

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:07 pm

This is how it's done ladies and gents... They look like they did it right from marketing. development etc aspects.

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

The ass is hideous... I can't get over it. It reminds me of that failed swedish company. Fisker.

Etron looks great
I think it looks ok. Looks good from the front at least. Like LED tail lights, you're never looking at your cars ass :whocares:

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

What is out there for sub $40k that's parkable, fast, automatic, has a back seat, and is unique/cool/interesting? Used is fine.

max225

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote:

Etron looks great
I think it looks ok. Looks good from the front at least. Like LED tail lights, you're never looking at your cars ass :whocares:
Every time before getting in and out ? Every time washing it? Every time getting shit into the car.

Johnny_P

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Every time before getting in and out ? Every time washing it? Every time getting shit into the car.
Hard park it. NFG.

max225

Johnny_P wrote:
What is out there for sub $40k that's parkable, fast, automatic, has a back seat, and is unique/cool/interesting? Used is fine.
:turboyaris:

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
GLC
That's just a good all around vehicle but I don't think it has any aura about it at all. Not a bad pick but not at all exciting.

• Information