Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Burble

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Apex wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:07 pm
Detroit wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Street parking a GTR?

:lolol:

:popcorn:
Don't stop him! Let the :fullretard: flow through him.
I'm in a mood.

Here's what has happened to my STI in 2 years of street parking it:
-Door ding likely caused at work. But could happen in any parking lot situation.
-Hit by bicycle, bumper corner needs a spot repair.
-3 parking tickets because I left it in a loading zone.
-Scratched the bumper because I leaned my mountain bike against it.

I dunno. The GTI fared worse. But I was parking the GTI in parallel spots because it fit literally everywhere. This I'm far more cautious and park it in pull-in or back-in angled spots.

max225
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Kamry XSE

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 am
Apex wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am

Every service is an annual service for you. :lol:
Yep. Tire rotation? Annual. Oil change? Annual. Head gasket replacement? Annual. Wait.

I wonder how bad GTRs actually do ride... They have back seats and automatic transmissions...
You’re ready for Porsche ownershit

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Hot Rod Lincoln

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote:
I'm in a mood.

-Door ding likely caused at work. But could happen in any parking lot situation.

I dunno. The GTI fared worse. But I was parking the GTI in parallel spots because it fit literally everywhere. This I'm far more cautious and park it in pull-in or back-in angled spots.
You know you want a truck.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Apex wrote:

I'm in a mood.

That’s not bad.... gtrs are great but too expensive man

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
I'm in a mood.

You know you want a truck.
I do. A Taco would be great.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:23 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:24 pm

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

I'm in a mood.

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 pm

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:08 am

Yep. Tire rotation? Annual. Oil change? Annual. Head gasket replacement? Annual. Wait.

I wonder how bad GTRs actually do ride... They have back seats and automatic transmissions...
You’re ready for Porsche ownershit
A 911 would be pretty rad. I like the 991's. Can't do a cayman because no back seat dog perch.

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

max225 wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-gm ... nance.html

Didn’t I just make a rant about this ? GM wants to bring Cadillac back to the forefront of innovation. And have them do the electric cars. This makes a lot of sense...
But it needs to make sense not like the rebadged volt for 2x the price they attempted before. It needs to be good, and it must be better than Tesla.... I hope they know that... but I don’t think it’ll get fully executed :(
I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.

max225

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote:

Are they though? Mid 60k gets you one of the fastest vehicles ever built. Sure, they're equivalent to a previous gen Altima inside. And they're old tech at this point. But I dunno, they seem more interesting to me than a PDK 911 for no real reason other than Japanese built.
Yea that price point is rough. It also gets you a comp package M3 which is a far better daily. It also gets you a variety of P cars. Does it matter the the gtr is that fast ? You can’t put that power down anyways within city limits. I’d pick the easier to live with fast car

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:27 pm

troyguitar wrote:

I have been saying for years now that Cadillac needs to have the first fully autonomous vehicles. That's the ultimate luxury and would make them the world standard again. Anything less is a waste of time.
Cadillac ELR :disgust:

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

troyguitar wrote:

100% this

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

max225 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

Yea that price point is rough. It also gets you a comp package M3 which is a far better daily. It also gets you a variety of P cars. Does it matter the the gtr is that fast ? You can’t put that power down anyways within city limits. I’d pick the easier to live with fast car
AWD has an advantage for sure. I'd like next car to be AWD, automatic, with an unusable back seat. No question an M3 is easier to live with.

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
max225 wrote:
AWD has an advantage for sure. I'd like next car to be AWD, automatic, with an unusable back seat. No question an M3 is easier to live with.
I want a 10-speed V8 mustang to make lots of vroom vroom noises. :truckyeah:

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:34 pm

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:39 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
Same price as a used m3 or m2. Far worse bodyshell and interior, but better sounds... I’d go bmw for
Sure

Johnny_P

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
:notbad: that would be a fun DD

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:43 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Attracting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a lambro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Last edited by max225 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:46 pm

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote:
Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Atteacting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a labro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Oh I don't want loud noises, just great sounding noises... I've no clue how loud a stock GT350 is in person. It sounds perfect on my stereo system but that's got a volume knob on it.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 pm

troyguitar wrote:
max225 wrote:

Call me :gay: but at some point it gets too loud. Atteacting that much attention when driving is not a good thing, it’s not a labro, it’s a mustang. So many around me are running with muffler deletes it’s getting kind of old... it’s nice to have a great sounding car but ... this is obnoxious
Oh I don't want loud noises, just great sounding noises... I've no clue how loud a stock GT350 is in person. It sounds perfect on my stereo system but that's got a volume knob on it.
It essentially sounds straight piped. Which is fun to listen to but I can’t imagine being inside that car with all that drone etc, it isn’t exactly a refined vehicle

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: mk7 :gorf:

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:51 pm

:wasteful:

Let me open with a clear statement that what I'm going to say is opinion and I'm equally :wrong: , and not trying to push my ideas on your future car purchase plans... Just had a sec to ponder the discussion.

As an owner of two C.F., I recommend four doors for anyone planning on making some in a year/near future. Otherwise two yrs from now any one of these scratched to hell :doge: transporting racekars will be up for offer and will likely take a resale hit for not being in meticulous condition. No judgement either way, there's something to be said about DD an actual fun car, and I'm fortunate enough to be doing it in a gorf that lives on well paved roads and mainly highway travel, which keeps its somewhat fragile build in good condition. It's awesome to let it rip through onramps/straight aways once in a while and give me that bit of joy in an otherwise boring drive.

From the cars listed above, a 3 series sounds like it has potential, or maybe a nicely appointed MB C-series, :jeep: , :taco: , 300/Charger with the :poop: -pack, etc. But since the roads are shit and space for parking is tight, the smaller the better and lifted. :truk: , CUV think would be in its element. Why bother looking at brand new CUVs when they constantly get compared to used sedans and sports cars. 16k gets someone a three yr old CRV/Rav4/CX5/etc and will last a decadewith zero fooks given. Might be a bit boring I guess. BMW is like the opposite of Japanese cars, depreciation and costly repairs await. Blow out a tie rod, 1k... and so on.

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote:

It essentially sounds straight piped. Which is fun to listen to but I can’t imagine being inside that car with all that drone etc, it isn’t exactly a refined vehicle
Too bad. I guess the E90 M3 or V8 Vantage, ISF, etc. are the answers for making V8 noises without being obnoxious.

max225

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm
max225 wrote:

Too bad. I guess the E90 M3 or V8 Vantage, ISF, etc. are the answers for making V8 noises without being obnoxious.
Yea, and they sound a lot less coarse and a lot more exotic...

CaleDeRoo
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: C5

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm

10spd Mustang GT with valved exhaust is a hell of a car. Especially if you get the full digital display etc

Sounds better than the gt350
Last edited by CaleDeRoo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarspin
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: mk7 :gorf:

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:22 pm

ISF is a great option

• Information