Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:15 pm Anotha one... man 2018 saw quite a few fatalities in the model S/X
3 Dead teens in florida in a (model S)
Cali Chinese dude that fucked himself into a median (Model X)
Cali Chinese dude in a lake (Model S)
Just like the positive press Tesla sure gets a lot of negative press as well... meanwhile... 30k ppl die annually in other vehicles....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/new ... 630798002/

Keith Leung, 34, of Danville, Calif.
:notsure: prob another one fooling autopilot with an orange stuck in the wheel

:rolleyes:

It's not the tech, it's the users. This stuff just isn't ready for the mass :derp: s.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm :rolleyes:

It's not the tech, it's the users. This stuff just isn't ready for the mass :derp: s.
It's human nature, though. Driving already basically happens subconsciously. Sure, you're awake and your eyes are open, but how intently is anyone really thinking about what the car is doing while they're driving? Take away the even small task of holding a throttle position and the steering wheel, and a peoples' minds will start to drift and lose focus - which is why Tesla makes you put your hands on the wheel every 2 minutes to make sure you're still awake and aware of what the car is doing. Even in my own car with a backup camera and blind spot warnings I've noticed times I've been lazy and relied on them instead of my eyes to tell me where other cars/etc. might be. I can't imagine how easy it is to get distracted with lane keep assist and radar cruise control and some Autopilot system that really isn't one.

Until these things are fully autonomous without steering wheels I wholeheartedly believe they're more dangerous than a car with no driver safety aids at all in the hands of the average driver.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm :rolleyes:

It's human nature, though. Driving already basically happens subconsciously. Sure, you're awake and your eyes are open, but how intently is anyone really thinking about what the car is doing while they're driving? Take away the even small task of holding a throttle position and the steering wheel, and a peoples' minds will start to drift and lose focus - which is why Tesla makes you put your hands on the wheel every 2 minutes to make sure you're still awake and aware of what the car is doing. Even in my own car with a backup camera and blind spot warnings I've noticed times I've been lazy and relied on them instead of my eyes to tell me where other cars/etc. might be. I can't imagine how easy it is to get distracted with lane keep assist and radar cruise control and some Autopilot system that really isn't one.

Until these things are fully autonomous without steering wheels I wholeheartedly believe they're more dangerous than a car with no driver safety aids at all in the hands of the average driver.
:dat:

If I have to pay attention anyway, let me control. I don't see the point of paying attention to nothing. So boring.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

The technology isn't fully developed yet. They need a few billion more miles on the road before they can claim they're safer (or not) than a human driver.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:31 am Image

I demand an end to Ferrari's vertical headlamp trend.

https://jalopnik.com/the-one-off-ferrar ... 1826254653
The ferd GT came in red? :interdasting:
Johnny_P

Looks like a cross between a Ford GT and those Lotus concept cars that never came to fruition years ago, only less aggressive. This does hardly anything to stir the soul, and I'm really not seeing the supposed homage to the F40 in it.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am

Looks like a cross between a Ford GT and those Lotus concept cars that never came to fruition years ago, only less aggressive. This does hardly anything to stir the soul, and I'm really not seeing the supposed homage to the F40 in it.
Needs moar wing.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:50 am

Needs moar wing.
To call itself an F40 relative, yes it does

Wings make everything better
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Detroit wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am This is legit :notbad: :doe:

And the rear is massively improved:

facelift or new gen?

I remember when the 2014 cherokee's came right out, at first I was :gag: if they came out like that in the first place, not so much.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:17 am
To flat brimmers that know no better, it probably makes the car feel crazy fast. :rolleyes:
Got me, there's a lot of complaints about it from the flatbrim community though. That and "the factory tune sucks."
I mean if that's all that I don't really like about the car it's not bad overall.
and that is when the cobb or <insert tune company here> comes in spending their paycheck on it and re-tune. Just like :plac: going through like what 15 re-tune's till bren tuning broke up with :plac:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

I disagree. It looked better before. The body lines don’t work with the new bumper and headlights and it looks bloated and fat and cheap as a result.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 pm I disagree. It looked better before. The body lines don’t work with the new bumper and headlights and it looks bloated and fat and cheap as a result.
You’re also the only person to admit you liked the prefacelift Cherokee.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

The refreshed Cherokee is definitely nicer. I think giving it normal headlights made the difference as opposed to spacing out 3 lamps vertically on the old one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:10 pm I disagree. It looked better before. The body lines don’t work with the new bumper and headlights and it looks bloated and fat and cheap as a result.
You’re also the only person to admit you liked the prefacelift Cherokee.
Probably. But I think in trailhawk version it looked pretty awesome. Very unique.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Unique doesn't = good looking. I'm in the new one looks better camp. Gf is interested in them but idk if I could tell her to pull the trigger on one. Still scared of fca issues
Johnny_P

dtraill27 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:08 am Unique doesn't = good looking. I'm in the new one looks better camp. Gf is interested in them but idk if I could tell her to pull the trigger on one. Still scared of fca issues
I'd only be concerned about the automatic but I bet they've figured out the majority of the issues with it now. Doubt it behaves much better but I bet the reliability is up on it now that they have a number of years under their belt. You can also get a 2.0T with it, which should help mileage and mid range torque.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

More People Are Now Prioritizing Their Phone Bill Over Their Car Payment

https://jalopnik.com/more-people-are-no ... 1826264181
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 pm More People Are Now Prioritizing Their Phone Bill Over Their Car Payment

Yea but I am :wrong: cars will forever be a thing... as will car ownership... because ppl clearly "love" to drive.
ChrisoftheNorth

Davestr wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:18 pm More People Are Now Prioritizing Their Phone Bill Over Their Car Payment

Seems like clickbait to me. There's no concrete data in here.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:doomed:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Detroit wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:30 pm

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ence-grows
max225

GM Gets Ready for a Post-Car Future
http://fortune.com/2018/05/23/gm-genera ... rtune-500/

:thisisfine:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Am I the only one that isn't surprised by this?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Davestr wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:41 pm
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ence-grows
404datanotfound.

There's one chart showing a change in delinquency rates...and that's the basis for the entire article along with the words of some "experts" who's responsible for selling data?
max225

4zilch wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:45 pm Am I the only one that isn't surprised by this?

Welcome to stage 5... some are stuck in stage 1