Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So many layoffs, this sucks :(

I hope the restructuring brings a strong growth in all the right places.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:11 am

:dong: and not :jalepenis:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:02 am
Yea, it's like walking into a morgue today...
good luck brah. 15% chance of :doomed:
I'd actually welcome it. I have multiple irons in the fire right now, I could use a few months paid to dedicate to making one become reality.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm not optimistic, personally.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:05 am

good luck brah. 15% chance of :doomed:
I'd actually welcome it. I have multiple irons in the fire right now, I could use a few months paid to dedicate to making one become reality.
Good for you, man.

Yeah, a couple paid months to consider the options can be a great thing. Jumping ship into another not so good situation because you're under pressure sucks.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:22 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 am
Good for you, man.

Yeah, a couple paid months to consider the options can be a great thing. Jumping ship into another not so good situation because you're under pressure sucks.
Fortunately, as soon as they said they were going to do "involuntary separations" a few months ago, I started applying to jobs that same day. I'm in various stages with a few companies, and I'm pretty confident I'll land something with better pay that I may or may not enjoy more (all big companies blow). So to get a few months paid to relax and see what the next steps are would be great.

I'd be way more concerned if I wasn't already working on something else. Unfortunately, I'd be really surprised if they let me go. I've been told that I'm the most passionate person that works on my product. Unless the company has decided to exit a very profitable segment, I'm likely very safe.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am

Fingers crossed, for their own long term success I'd hope they split evenly between new tech and improving existing products. I know that they are making a push into electric but people are still buying ICE and likely will be for a while. Quality products today sell cars tomorrow, they owe it to themselves and their employees.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:37 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:14 am
Fingers crossed, for their own long term success I'd hope they split evenly between new tech and improving existing products. I know that they are making a push into electric but people are still buying ICE and likely will be for a while. Quality products today sell cars tomorrow, they owe it to themselves and their employees.
From my personal experience on the program I work on, there's zero investment in future ICE vehicles. The mantra is to squeeze as much from the rock as possible to fund the #evfuture

Wall street will love it for the vision, but I don't see how it'll be financially viable in 5-10 years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:43 am

From my personal experience on the program I work on, there's zero investment in future ICE vehicles. The mantra is to squeeze as much from the rock as possible to fund the #evfuture

Wall street will love it for the vision, but I don't see how it'll be financially viable in 5-10 years.
I don't get this movement, in theory its nice to not be harvesting oil and burning it but we've taken it way too far without even doing simple :math: :science:

:fullretard: ahead I guess.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I would assume the management of a yuge company as such is not that stupid. ICE is not the future for sure and GM needs to be a world leader in the transportation field. You snooze you lose the Chinese are coming ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:56 am

I would assume the management of a yuge company as such is not that stupid. ICE is not the future for sure and GM needs to be a world leader in the transportation field. You snooze you lose the Chinese are coming ...
It's all a balance, sure. Need to invest in the future, but when the future actually arrives is :iono:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:56 am
It's all a balance, sure. Need to invest in the future, but when the future actually arrives is :iono:
There is no point in throwing money at ice right now. Engines have peaked pretty much ...
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm
There is no point in throwing money at ice right now. Engines have peaked pretty much ...
Well sure, ICE powertrain development seems worthless, but not investing in ICE powered vehicles at all? That just seems way too risky.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Well sure, ICE powertrain development seems worthless, but not investing in ICE powered vehicles at all? That just seems way too risky.
Yeah, ICE is going to be around for a while more. Switching cold turkey to an all-electric line-up doesn't mean the consumer base is ready for the change. For some reason, I can see the truck crowd giving the most pushback to the this change.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

They could at least refine the products they currently sell, aside from ICE, there are a lot of things people commonly complain about that can be improved and utilized in EVs.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:10 pm
Yeah, ICE is going to be around for a while more. Switching cold turkey to an all-electric line-up doesn't mean the consumer base is ready for the change. For some reason, I can see the truck crowd giving the most pushback to the this change.
Trucks are the hardest to predict. Also happen to be the most profitable vehicles for the company, so don't want to screw it up.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Trucks are the hardest to predict. Also happen to be the most profitable vehicles for the company, so don't want to screw it up.
:waiting:

did you make the cut?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 pm
:waiting:

did you make the cut?
So far...
max225

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fca-us-r ... 00507.html

So this is interesting... :member: the epic sales months for the new wrangler last year?

They "only" moved 13k wranglers in Jan. They are going to have to "lap" 25k units in march... and 30k units in April which likely won't happen. :popcorn: Or they'll have epic :dill: s they normally sell around 17-19k in those months...
Last edited by max225 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
max225

double post wtf
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:10 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fca-us-r ... 00507.html

So this is interesting... :member: the epic sales months for the new wrangler last year?

They "only" moved 13k wranglers in Jan. They are going to have to "lap" 25k units in march... and 30k units in April which likely won't happen. :popcorn: Or they'll have epic :dill: s they normally sell around 17-19k in those months...
January wasn't a great month for the industry, it never is because of the hangover from giant Decembers. SAAR was around 16M IIRC, which is off from where we ended last year around 17M. The fact that the Wrangler was up at all is :notbad: Can't use January as an indicator of future performance, especially sales volume.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:10 pm https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fca-us-r ... 00507.html

January wasn't a great month for the industry, it never is because of the hangover from giant Decembers. SAAR was around 16M IIRC, which is off from where we ended last year around 17M. The fact that the Wrangler was up at all is :notbad: Can't use January as an indicator of future performance, especially sales volume.
Right, its a "hangover" every year though. The point was however that the last 3 years, they were well under 20k units in march april, and well over 25, and even 30k due to having both the JK/JL so unless they blow out the JL in the next two months they are going to be "down". So hence the :popcorn:

FCA is UP yoy thanks to ramming their rams into 84 months stretch pay I am sure.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:17 pm
Right, its a "hangover" every year though. The point was however that the last 3 years, they were well under 20k units in march april, and well over 25, and even 30k due to having both the JK/JL so unless they blow out the JL in the next two months they are going to be "down". So hence the :popcorn:

FCA is UP yoy thanks to ramming their rams into 84 months stretch pay I am sure.
It's really hard to say. I suspect they'll have some solid :dill: s on JLs to keep the volume up. They'll have to since they have so much capacity. They still beat last January by a few thousand units, and this January was arguable tougher. It'll be interesting for sure.

Ram took #2 in the large pickup segment in January from Chebby. Mostly on epic deals and stretch pay as you said, but still. FCA knows how to move the metal.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:20 pm

It's really hard to say. I suspect they'll have some solid :dill: s on JLs to keep the volume up. They'll have to since they have so much capacity. They still beat last January by a few thousand units, and this January was arguable tougher. It'll be interesting for sure.

Ram took #2 in the large pickup segment in January from Chebby. Mostly on epic deals and stretch pay as you said, but still. FCA knows how to move the metal.
Well they also have a much better product than LY. Their current line up is great. The HD truks and regular 1500s are just great. JL we covered off in detail.

I wonder if they will do 0% financing on the Jeeps... that 5% crap they are running is just garbage.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm

Well they also have a much better product than LY. Their current line up is great. The HD truks and regular 1500s are just great. JL we covered off in detail.

I wonder if they will do 0% financing on the Jeeps... that 5% crap they are running is just garbage.
I'm sure they will at some point. With interest rates rising, 0% is "valued" more by customers than just cash on the hood.