Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:00 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:59 am

1 kid, 2 dogs, dogs are fading. I realistically expect to be down to one dog by the end of 2019. :(
*Personally* I think the third row is probably unnecessary but I get the desire for one.
also carrying large things. With no :truk: :truk: :truk: its nice to be able to fit large things in the car.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 am

*Personally* I think the third row is probably unnecessary but I get the desire for one.
i agree its unnecessary 98% of the time, but we do like to do stuff with our other friends that have a family of three, and its nice to shove the kid(s) in the back and take one car as an option.
It's a good option for the 2 family 1 car thing. I get it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am New Aston doesn’t do it for me. Including its Mercedes underpinnings
Mercedes underpinnings?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 am

i agree its unnecessary 98% of the time, but we do like to do stuff with our other friends that have a family of three, and its nice to shove the kid(s) in the back and take one car as an option.
I see the value in a 3rd row for occasional use.
I like CUVs. 3rd row of a CUV isn't nearly as terrible as 3rd row of a rear drive SUV... Since it's basically a minivan.

What's the budget?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 am Carmageddon for Tesla Model 3: US Deliveries Plunge 55% to 60% from Q4, Laid-off Delivery Employees tell Reuters
by Wolf Richter • Feb 9, 2019 • 94 Comments
Most everyone in the US who ever wanted & could afford a high-priced Model 3 now has one? Pent-up demand for luxury cars in the era of Carmageddon is a tricky thing, especially when tax credits phase out.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/02/09/carma ... l-reuters/

The comments are as 'interesting' as the article over all. Interesting debate and viewpoints on Tesla and E in general.
Welcome back Dave :)

Model 3 still has the rest of the world to satisfy not only the us. I think they will find demand for the next 2 quarters while sustaining the current output of about 50-60 model 3s per quarter, and they already proved to
Be profitable at that level.
max225

Melon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:01 am New Aston doesn’t do it for me. Including its Mercedes underpinnings
Mercedes underpinnings?
The entire drive train is from the nazis.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 am
I had a few as rentals and ALWAYS had shit going wrong with them. Overheating was common even under normal load.

FWIW we do the cross over life with kids and it's fine. A van would be world's better mainly due to deck height and space but the XC60 is still great. Even with two and a dog.
xc60 is on the list but i think its on the backburner because it does not have a 3rd row.

We like the third row option, esp one that does not consume the rear of the car in the down position. THe nissans seems to have this problem.
Ford Transit /bread
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 am

xc60 is on the list but i think its on the backburner because it does not have a 3rd row.

We like the third row option, esp one that does not consume the rear of the car in the down position. THe nissans seems to have this problem.
Ford Transit /bread
With all the researching I'm doing on vans and #vanlyfe and traveling across the country with mountain bikes in tow....

I fucking love these little shit vans. Transit Connect and Ram Promaster City are two exceptional vehicles that get absolutely zero love.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Van is still better in every way. Flushing equity away (or worse rolling more inequity) for monthly cashflow is :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:18 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

Ford Transit /bread
With all the researching I'm doing on vans and #vanlyfe and traveling across the country with mountain bikes in tow....

I fucking love these little shit vans. Transit Connect and Ram Promaster City are two exceptional vehicles that get absolutely zero love.
Which makes them cheap AF? Could be a good option for your grand tour.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:19 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 am

also carrying large things. With no :truk: :truk: :truk: its nice to be able to fit large things in the car.
This doesn't solve for the liking to bring more people issue BUT a two row might save you enough over a third row that the occasional Home Depot pickup rental is less than the increase in price?
Don't forget Brad is chairman of the board for Team Tiny Trailer. IMO it comes down to how many meat bags he wants to haul in this thing. A 3rd row comes in pretty handy if you want to cart 2 + kid + 2 friends/relatives around in a single vehicle.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am
Melon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 am

Mercedes underpinnings?
Oh dang, I had no idea.

From wiki;

". The first model to sport the Mercedes-Benz technology was the DB11, announced at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show which also has Mercedes-Benz electronics for the entertainment, navigation and other systems. The 2019 V8 Vantage"
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

They are absolutely cheap as dog shit. If there was an AWD one I'd have bought it by now. Partly for the trip, partly because they're so fucking usable I can't even. Promaster City, a tiny little dick van, can fit a pallet between the wheel wells! The back is a square, literally anything will fit in it. 30 MPG, NA motor, good handling.... what's not to like aside from the hideous looks?
ChrisoftheNorth

JP really should have more ground clearance and AWD IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am Van is still better in every way. Flushing equity away (or worse rolling more inequity) for monthly cashflow is :fullretard:
If the balance sheet ain't balancing, you gotta do something about it. And he can't take the potfiller back at this point so...
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am

Yeah. But if that little van had AWD...
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am

They are absolutely cheap as dog shit. If there was an AWD one I'd have bought it by now. Partly for the trip, partly because they're so fucking usable I can't even. Promaster City, a tiny little dick van, can fit a pallet between the wheel wells! The back is a square, literally anything will fit in it. 30 MPG, NA motor, good handling.... what's not to like aside from the hideous looks?
Usability is off the charts. Sucks about no 4x4/AWD option.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

Don't forget Brad is chairman of the board for Team Tiny Trailer. IMO it comes down to how many meat bags he wants to haul in this thing. A 3rd row comes in pretty handy if you want to cart 2 + kid + 2 friends/relatives around in a single vehicle.
100% agreed. I think my only point was that you can make it work without it and save some doll hairs.
Absolutely can. Tell friends/inlaws they can follow in their own car when you go to the zoo, problem solved.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 am
Oh, totally. DONE deal agreed.

In fact, I think those things would be insanely popular with the :pinshit: overlanders.
max225

Melon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:23 am
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

Oh dang, I had no idea.

From wiki;

". The first model to sport the Mercedes-Benz technology was the DB11, announced at the 2016 Geneva Motor Show which also has Mercedes-Benz electronics for the entertainment, navigation and other systems. The 2019 V8 Vantage"
It’s just an uglier amg gt. Still a good looking car but I’m
Having a tough time imagining who would buy one and why.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am Van is still better in every way. Flushing equity away (or worse rolling more inequity) for monthly cashflow is :fullretard:
If the balance sheet ain't balancing, you gotta do something about it. And he can't take the potfiller back at this point so...
If financial stability is the name of the game, then buy the cheapest thing possible with cash. A $5k Camry or some shit is fine for one CF and a dog.

With all the :fax: hand-wringing about house expenses, the amount of money lit on fire by the dude on :plac: transactions cannot go unchecked. This is akin to all the :sass: about renting a van trailer by the river instead of spending money on a house.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

Oh, totally. DONE deal agreed.

In fact, I think those things would be insanely popular with the :pinshit: overlanders.
Yes!

With AWD it's basically as capable as a Renegade or Compass, same gearing same engine. Those have proven themselves to be more capable than many people could imagine. Little lift, some wildpeak tires, skid plates, and donezo.

I just plain want one. Shorter than an accord, decent drive, epic bike and toy hauler.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Transit Connect w/ FoRS drivetrain /bread
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am

Absolutely can. Tell friends/inlaws they can follow in their own car when you go to the zoo, problem solved.
This is what we do
We do this and we don't even have kids.

"We'll :meat: you there". /bread
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

If financial stability is the name of the game, then buy the cheapest thing possible with cash. A $5k Camry or some shit is fine for one CF and a dog.

With all the :fax: hand-wringing about house expenses, the amount of money lit on fire by the dude on :plac: transactions cannot go unchecked. This is akin to all the :sass: about renting a van trailer by the river instead of spending money on a house.
I tried this convo last time and got ganged up on. No
Point. Some random justification will be found and you’re :wrong: