Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:31 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 am I saw a model 3 in the wild yesterday. Aside from the duck face it's a nice looking car.
Yea, they're popping up more around here too. They are legit :notbad:
Still waiting to see one. But I did see a Tesla Roadster a few weeks ago. :notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am
Still waiting to see one. But I did see a Tesla Roadster a few weeks ago. :notbad:
You mean a Lotus? :notbad:
Johnny_P

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 am I saw a model 3 in the wild yesterday. Aside from the duck face it's a nice looking car.
I think they could integrate the front a bit better but aside from a giant plastic nothingness of a front it looked sharp. I'd consider one if I lived in an area with acceptable roads and charging infrastructure. Someone like me should be their ideal customer. Shame about the nowhere-to-charge-it problem.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm
I think they could integrate the front a bit better but aside from a giant plastic nothingness of a front it looked sharp. I'd consider one if I lived in an area with acceptable roads and charging infrastructure. Someone like me should be their ideal customer. Shame about the nowhere-to-charge-it problem.
The nowhere-to-charge-it problem you experience is the biggest hindrance to widespread EV adoption. So many people live in urban environs or apartments/condos and have no access to EV charging. All of those people are instantly out of the EV market.

Driving the Volt, I notice this a lot. It's hard to find EV charging in the wild, and when you do, the equipment is either occupied, outdated, or broken. Hell, even where I work (where the CEO has committed to an emissions free future), if you don't get to the parking structure by 9am, all the charging spots are occupied. And most of the charging spots are just 120v outlets to plug your brick into, which can't even charge the Volt all the way from 0 in 9 hours.

There's a LONG way to go.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I believe i've seen about 15 3's in the span of 3 weeks. But then again, I live in an area where I see true :waxer: cars on a daily basis.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm

The nowhere-to-charge-it problem you experience is the biggest hindrance to widespread EV adoption. So many people live in urban environs or apartments/condos and have no access to EV charging. All of those people are instantly out of the EV market.

Driving the Volt, I notice this a lot. It's hard to find EV charging in the wild, and when you do, the equipment is either occupied, outdated, or broken. Hell, even where I work (where the CEO has committed to an emissions free future), if you don't get to the parking structure by 9am, all the charging spots are occupied. And most of the charging spots are just 120v outlets to plug your brick into, which can't even charge the Volt all the way from 0 in 9 hours.

Yeah. Urban stop/go is where an EV would excel. But can't happen for most people. What should happen is a company should make delivery trucks that are EV/hybrid tech. UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc could all seriously benefit from this. Most of our buses in the city are hybrids anymore and they just added 2 electric buses to trial. Ideal.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:45 pm

Yeah. Urban stop/go is where an EV would excel. But can't happen for most people. What should happen is a company should make delivery trucks that are EV/hybrid tech. UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc could all seriously benefit from this. Most of our buses in the city are hybrids anymore and they just added 2 electric buses to trial. Ideal.
If I drive the Volt on all back roads from the office to home, I can use just 2-5 miles of range to go 10 miles. EVs are fantastic for the city.

You're absolutely right that the change should start with delivery services...especially since trucks aren't really used over night, so they have plenty of time to charge at the distribution center. Things like autonomous and EV I think benefit fleets and commercial use more than the retail buying public.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:23 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:55 am

You mean a Lotus? :notbad:
Yup, dat 'leccy Elise.
wap

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:47 pm
I believe i've seen about 15 3's in the span of 3 weeks. But then again, I live in an area where I see true :waxer: cars on a daily basis.
You see any in Turkey yet?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:03 pm

:wat: i thought they are not doing international orders yet. They can barely fulfill the American orders and they can't build these things quickly enough.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The 3's no and I was referring NoVa, but I have seen couple Tesla Model X's that sit in front of :diller: over here.
Last edited by MexicanYarisTK on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:21 pm

:wat: i thought they are not doing international orders yet. They can barely fulfill the American orders and they can't build these things quickly enough.
I saw that there are people driving Model S's and X in Turkey online. But right now, Turkey (especially Istanbul) couldn't provide a fair amount infrastructure that can charge electric cars. So if you plan to roadtrip there in a Tesla, good luck. There are still many people there that "don't know" how to drive autos.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:34 pm

I saw that there are people driving Model S's and X in Turkey online. But right now, Turkey (especially Istanbul) couldn't provide a fair amount infrastructure that can charge electric cars. So if you plan to roadtrip there in a Tesla, good luck. There are still many people there that "don't know" how to drive autos.
Model S/X are status symbols, not talking about those cars. Only mentioned model 3s as there is a yuge "shortage" of these cars.
wap

:iono: No idea. Just wondering because I see S's all over the place in Europe.
wap

Speaking of which, I just saw an article in an English language on-line Greek newspaper about a Model S that someone bought, maybe in the UK :notsure: that they wanted to drive across Europe and into Turkey but it ran out of juice somewhere in Northern rural Greece because there aren't any charging stations up there so they had to get it towed dozens or hundreds of miles to the nearest owners HOUSE so he could be kind enough to let them charge it on his own personal charger. :lolol:
max225

wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 pm

Speaking of which, I just saw an article in an English language on-line Greek newspaper about a Model S that someone bought, maybe in the UK :notsure: that they wanted to drive across Europe and into Turkey but it ran out of juice somewhere in Northern rural Greece because there aren't any charging stations up there so they had to get it towed dozens or hundreds of miles to the nearest owners HOUSE so he could be kind enough to let them charge it on his own personal charger. :lolol:
There were no other outlets? And no one planned this ? That's like running out of gas in ocean while on a ship... :wtf: :butwhy:
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:01 pm

There were no other outlets? And no one planned this ? That's like running out of gas in ocean while on a ship... :wtf: :butwhy:
INORITE!

I'll see if I can find the article. For all I know, I totally misremembered what I read. :lol:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Anyone driven a Red Sport?
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Can confirm with TK that there are plenty of Model 3's in the DC-metro area.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Greeks are generally :aintcare: about first world issues, especially given its situation right now
max225

14 Cent spread between regular and premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 pm Image

I saw regular for a dollar less than that on the way home. Premium was "only" $.50 more.
wap

It's still an $.80 spread here.
wap

wap wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 pm

INORITE!

I'll see if I can find the article. For all I know, I totally misremembered what I read. :lol:
Found the article. It was a Swedish dude who ran out of juice.
http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/07 ... rn-greece/
Once it ran out of power, roadside assistance took it to the home of a Kozani topographer, Thanassis Tourtouras — who is known for his love of the particular electric car — to charge its batteries.

Tourtouras told AMNA that the car is brand new and was bought a week ago by the Swedish couple who wanted to cross Europe and then go to Iran through Turkey. As the Greek man explained, the owners did not have previous experience driving an electric vehicle.

He said that the Swedes were thrilled by the new Egnatia Odos and drove at a very high speed, thus consuming the battery reserves earlier than expected. Tourtouras said that it took several hours for the batteries to recharge before the Swedish travelers could continue their journey.
:derp:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:04 pm Image

:aintcare: I got premium for $2.95/gallon on Saturday. Poverty spec was $2.45 or something.