Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:07 pm Another hot hatch comparo.

1. Hype R
2. Fuckus RS
3. :gorf:
4. STI

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/ci ... omparison/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Interesting... a FWD Hype R is faster than the golf and focus even though they have the AWD advantage, and it stops better as well, and it is cheaper by 5-10k. :impressive:
Just read the link. Interesting!! Amazed with the Honda. :like:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I'm sad the Type R wasn't around when I was STI shopping. I bet I would have liked it.
I've been enjoying AWD though.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah the Hype R sounds pretty freaking good.
I dig it. It's absurd. Just needs fatter sidewalls.

Oh the stock wheels wouldn't last 2 months in Philly, between potholes, street parking, and theft they'd either be missing or dented beyond repair.

The car looks really good on 18s and 19s, I wonder why they felt the need to go with the 20s.

My 18s have been holding up well so far :notbad: but I would not go any smaller on the sidewalls in the northeast.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:53 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:16 pm

I dig it. It's absurd. Just needs fatter sidewalls.

Oh the stock wheels wouldn't last 2 months in Philly, between potholes, street parking, and theft they'd either be missing or dented beyond repair.

The car looks really good on 18s and 19s, I wonder why they felt the need to go with the 20s.

My 18s have been holding up well so far :notbad: but I would not go any smaller on the sidewalls in the northeast.
Considering the performance they knew something ...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:49 pm I'm sad the Type R wasn't around when I was STI shopping. I bet I would have liked it.
The sti is no match to most cars on the market today in terms of character, let alone to all enthusiast cars on todays market. Mostly to the non-direct injection with turbo, and characteristics of old enthusiast cars and hence why some car enthusiasts prefer to go for older cars.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

dubshow wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 pm
Interesting... a FWD Hype R is faster than the golf and focus even though they have the AWD advantage, and it stops better as well, and it is cheaper by 5-10k. :impressive:
harder to find than both :doe:

are :dillerman: still doing over MSRP?
:notsure: They were pretty much over MSRP a few months ago. I don't have much interest in that vehicle... I think the sweet spot lies in the regular civic sport, since it already is a good handler and a great DD vehicle. 35-40k on something that will get trashed... :aintcare:
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:49 pm I'm sad the Type R wasn't around when I was STI shopping. I bet I would have liked it.
The sti is no match to most cars on the market today in terms of character, let alone to all enthusiast cars on todays market. Mostly to the non-direct injection with turbo, and characteristics of old enthusiast cars and hence why some car enthusiasts prefer to go for older cars.
Agree to disagree. Plenty of cars with character in a similar price range
V8 camaros
V8 mustangs
V8 challengers
Miatas
BR-Zs
370Z if you wanted to go that route
Wranglers

All have plenty of "character" and are "enthusiast" vehicles
Last edited by max225 on Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm

harder to find than both :doe:

are :dillerman: still doing over MSRP?
:notsure: They were pretty much over MSRP a few months ago. I don't have much interest in that vehicle... I think the sweet spot lies in the regular civic sport, since it already is a good handler and a great DD vehicle. 35-40k on something that will get trashed... :aintcare:
It is impressive for sure, but I am very happy to have spent half of that much on something that functions pretty well as a fun DD and familymobile. And to your point, I’m much more comfortable with a car half that price getting beat up by south Philly for a couple years and by kids for it’s entire life.
:therapist:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 pm

V8 camaros
V8 mustangs
V8 challengers
Miatas
BR-Zs

While i may not disagree on what you said. I was referring the “ancient” engine that the sti has. The way turbo kicks in at higher rpm’s like you would do to Supra. My comparison did not involve any car thats naturally aspirated, and im comparing cars you can get brand new at :diller: right now. However mustang has electric steering and just as numb as the gti, wrx, pretty much anything that has lesser feel to an e92 BMW.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Nvm.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 pm

V8 camaros
V8 mustangs
V8 challengers
Miatas
BR-Zs

While i may not disagree on what you said. I was referring the “ancient” engine that the sti has. The way turbo kicks in at higher rpm’s like you would do to Supra. My comparison did not involve any car thats naturally aspirated, and im comparing cars you can get brand new at :diller: right now. However mustang has electric steering and just as numb as the gti, wrx, pretty much anything that has lesser feel to an e92 BMW.
I dunno I feel like a good portion of this whole "feeling" aspect of P/S has been exaggerated. There has never been a time in HISTORY where there is such a WIDE OFFERING of performance vehicles period. From cheap to ultra rare hypercars, now is PEAK CAR. BEST time to OWN/DRIVE/ENJOY a vehicle period.

We are very lucky. Those before us weren't and those after us won't be able to afford it. I have little nostalgia when it comes to older vehicles they are cool, but for the most part, they are far inferior due to actual engineering or age or both.

Which is why companies like ICON exist. "looks old" but performs using modern engineering/knowhow.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:46 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm

I dunno I feel like a good portion of this whole "feeling" aspect of P/S has been exaggerated. There has never been a time in HISTORY where there is such a WIDE OFFERING of performance vehicles period. From cheap to ultra rare hypercars, now is PEAK CAR. BEST time to OWN/DRIVE/ENJOY a vehicle period.

We are very lucky. Those before us weren't and those after us won't be able to afford it. I have little nostalgia when it comes to older vehicles they are cool, but for the most part, they are far inferior due to actual engineering or age or both.

Which is why companies like ICON exist. "looks old" but performs using modern engineering/knowhow.
That i can see considering with cars like hellcat, fun to drive enthusiast vehicle with roughly “same” mpg as an accord with the exception of premium gas. The technology that makes cars handle better or whatever case maybe, etc etc
max225

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-driv ... olice-car/

Tesla while in "autopilot mode" crashes into a cop car. I am seriously shocked tesla hasn't renamed autopilot yet...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-driv ... olice-car/

Tesla while in "autopilot mode" crashes into a cop car. I am seriously shocked tesla hasn't renamed autopilot yet...
Dat Tesla is all about the “fuck the police” bandwagon.

But seriously, it seems people buying these cars is for the fact that they buy it for autonomous driving hype, and therefore use it in that mode without any driver attention. Even the system says keep your hands on the wheel.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Davestr

max225 wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:20 pm https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tesla-driv ... olice-car/

Or been forced to disable the function and adopt something far more conventional and change the name. Its an utter joke and Im amazed they have any cash left given liability for the system. Its beyond a joke. Much like the company is now. The longer they are around now the less impact they are having. The major makers in due time are going to crush this joke and its founder.
Davestr

LOL! - CarMax is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to pre-owned vehicle retailing. It sells more than double the used inventory than their nearest competitor and they make significantly more money doing so. The primary reason for this is simple—most people are overpaying.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-carmax-m ... 1826415410
max225

Davestr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:19 pm LOL! - CarMax is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to pre-owned vehicle retailing. It sells more than double the used inventory than their nearest competitor and they make significantly more money doing so. The primary reason for this is simple—most people are overpaying.

I have no idea who shops at CarMax. Their prices are garbage, their wrangler pricing is shit as I pointed out on multiple occasions ... i can get new ones for less but obviously someone is paying that. :aintcare:

Their prices on some higher end models is ok but they are close to cpo without the warranty that you pay extra for
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:26 pm
Davestr wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:19 pm LOL! - CarMax is an absolute powerhouse when it comes to pre-owned vehicle retailing. It sells more than double the used inventory than their nearest competitor and they make significantly more money doing so. The primary reason for this is simple—most people are overpaying.

I have no idea who shops at CarMax. Their prices are garbage, their wrangler pricing is shit as I pointed out on multiple occasions ... i can get new ones for less but obviously someone is paying that. :aintcare:

Their prices on some higher end models is ok but they are close to cpo without the warranty that you pay extra for
I'll take the GF to carmax to look for vehicles. Not necessarily to buy one, but to compare and drive them. It's stress free to shop around there.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:32 pm

I'll take the GF to carmax to look for vehicles. Not necessarily to buy one, but to compare and drive them. It's stress free to shop around there.
:dat:

They're easy to do business with.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

4zilch wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Pretty much. They take the thought that "all dealers are bad" and create a "safe" space for people with "good" prices on "certified" cars.

Also, some people are willing to pay a premium for a stress free car buying process because it terrifies them, or they've never learned how to do it. Hell, if their pricing was realistic I would consider them at times for the right car. I know that when I bought my GTI and the Renegade I could have fought and shopped several more dealers and gone nuts to save another $500-800... in the end the deals were solid and it just wasn't worth our time.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Pretty much. They take the thought that "all dealers are bad" and create a "safe" space for people with "good" prices on "certified" cars.

Also, some people are willing to pay a premium for a stress free car buying process because it terrifies them, or they've never learned how to do it. Hell, if their pricing was realistic I would consider them at times for the right car. I know that when I bought my GTI and the Renegade I could have fought and shopped several more dealers and gone nuts to save another $500-800... in the end the deals were solid and it just wasn't worth our time.
:crang:
KiaGiver
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 2017 Subaru STi / Vapemachine

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:11 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:02 pm

:crang:
:iswydt:
I like rumbles, vape juice and mudflaps :gay:

Need Modz? Hit me up!
Johnny_P

Other advantage to Carmax is there are literally zero games being played. Here's the price, here's your trade, that's it. No "doc fee" or "loyalty discount" or "mother of a Iraq war amputee discount" or whatever other bullshit. No foursquare. No "let me talk to my manager." No "I can give you this price but only if you buy RIGHT NOW." The cars have a small warranty, and ability to purchase a rather good 3rd party extended warranty that's honored at manufacturer's dealerships or other carmax dealers.

I dunno. You might be losing out on $2k but maybe that's really $1700 instead because of the no fees added, and maybe time and mental energy savings are worth that to you.
Davestr

Max asked who shops there. Your scenario fits why they hook buyers. Top model cars, no stress and a smooth sales pitch all at the high end of the value spectrum. They have also developed as a good place to make a trade, ie, sell your car when you need to move it. People hate dealers. Car Max is the best at setting themselves up as a non dealer type 'dealer'. Shrewd and good timing as transaction values are driving folks into used. Hello Car Max.....