Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

What chaps my ass is that almost no gas stations show the price for 93 octane so you have no clue going in which stations are cheaper unless you're using regular.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:15 pm Anyone driven a Red Sport?
I had a q60 red sport rental last year.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tire questions: paging zil.

OE tire for golf R is dis:

CONTISPORTCONTACT 5P - SIZE: 235/35R19
Size: 235/35R19
AO Audi
Load Range: XL
Serv. Desc: 91Y
UTQG: 240 AA A

I like the reviews and price point of the Extreme, so does zil and trav.

EXTREMECONTACT SPORT
Size: 235/40ZR18 95Y XL
Serv. Desc: 95Y
UTQG: 340 AA A

My question is how is the more performance oriented tire higher treadwear? My history would leave me to believe the sport contact 5P is "softer". The 5P isnt a bad tire at all and I have zero complaints. It is a tad noisy at highway speads but nothing unbearable.

The Mich Pilot sport 4S is the other option but it carries a $300 premium and is similar in performance/spec to Extreme Contact. Ive also never owned a set of :waxer: Pilot Sports so I down want to be let down with grass being greener.

HALP.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:12 am
:waxer:

those are pretty nice cars.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:26 am Tire questions: paging zil.

AO Audi

EXTREMECONTACT SPORT

My question is how is the more performance oriented tire higher treadwear? My history would leave me to believe the sport contact 5P is "softer". The 5P isnt a bad tire at all and I have zero complaints. It is a tad noisy at highway speads but nothing unbearable.

The Mich Pilot sport 4S is the other option but it carries a $300 premium and is similar in performance/spec to Extreme Contact. Ive also never owned a set of :waxer: Pilot Sports so I down want to be let down with grass being greener.

HALP.
I'd doubt there's much difference between the two tires in real world driving. FWIW the Extreme Contacts have slightly better reviews on tirerack for wet and dry grip and better wear.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

AO Audi

EXTREMECONTACT SPORT

HALP.
The ECS tire is simply their newest compound/construction and designed to be competitive with the PSS. New shit == better for both wear and traction.

I love the ECS as a street tire, it's pretty much perfect. 5/7 would buy again if I weren't running RE71R for autox and too lazy to swap wheels twice a weekend.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:26 am

:waxer:

those are pretty nice cars.
I enjoyed it. Nice power, nice interior, nice noises. A little soft and a little heavy. Good GT car IMO.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

AO Audi

EXTREMECONTACT SPORT

HALP.
The ECS tire is simply their newest compound/construction and designed to be competitive with the PSS. New shit == better for both wear and traction.

I love the ECS as a street tire, it's pretty much perfect. 5/7 would buy again if I weren't running RE71R for autox and too lazy to swap wheels twice a weekend.
great, I have the same feels. The R is way more daily than :stig:

The 18s alos have a higher tow weight capacity. :fuckyeah: ordering EXTREMEZZZ
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:35 am

:fuckyeah:

Tires really do seem to just keep getting better overall year after year. FWIW I am pretty blown away by the PSS, they're way better in grip, noise, and ride than anything else I've owned, and, IMO worth the money. They are wearing though, bought in May and definitely noticing less depth, but four days hooning in TN/NC plus two hours on the race track will do that, I just can't expect anything to last.

We'll see how long they hold up, might try to go for a less expensive option next time since I'm not really chasing record lap times and two $900 sets of tires per year is pretty :wasteful: .
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

They seem like nice cars... interestingly there was one at the track day this weekend and the brakes did not hold up at all (likely due to the car's weight). So it's definitely more of a GT car, which is kind of expected.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 am great, I have the same feels. The R is way more daily than :stig:

Tires really do seem to just keep getting better overall year after year. FWIW I am pretty blown away by the PSS, they're way better in grip, noise, and ride than anything else I've owned, and, IMO worth the money. They are wearing though, bought in May and definitely noticing less depth, but four days hooning in TN/NC plus two hours on the race track will do that, I just can't expect anything to last.

We'll see how long they hold up, might try to go for a less expensive option next time since I'm not really chasing record lap times and two $900 sets of tires per year is pretty :wasteful: .
Maxxis VR1 for you. PSS/ECS get torn up quickly on a dry track.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 am

They seem like nice cars... interestingly there was one at the track day this weekend and the brakes did not hold up at all (likely due to the car's weight). So it's definitely more of a GT car, which is kind of expected.
Did he melt the pads? The 370z has a similar issue super easily fixed with proper pads and fluid. They were made for the street not the track
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:53 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:41 am

You bought pss for a poorvette? Impressive tire/cost of car ratio.

These tires wear fast, one of the fastest wearing tires I have ever had. Mine are toast in the rear after 20k but still surprisingly quiet. I’ll try to eek another 3- 5k out of them before retiring them
max225

$160 a month in tires :math:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am

These tires wear fast, one of the fastest wearing tires I have ever had. Mine are toast in the rear after 20k but still surprisingly quiet. I’ll try to eek another 3- 5k out of them before retiring them
So 6 years of life for me? They'd rot before I used all the tread up. :notbad:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:$160 a month in tires :math:
This is why I run small 17s. $600/set for the best stuff.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am
max225 wrote:$160 a month in tires :math:
This is why I run small 17s. $600/set for the best stuff.
17s are nice. Good compromise size for all around use. I don't understand the current trend to 19-22 or whatever giant dick sized wheels. Look up carfox history reports on used BMWs and you'll see single tire replaced, tire repaired, wheel replaced, etc from potholes and whatnot. Really common. And :waxer: to do on a regular basis.

My 18s are even overkill for street use. The car rides better on 17s, they weigh a lot less, and with good stiff sidewall tires will handle as well.
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:02 am $160 a month in tires :math:
Do the math's as the master has shown above.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: 20k miles... I would be excited to get 7,500. :stig:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: 20k miles... I would be excited to get 7,500. :stig:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:59 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:54 am

Did he melt the pads? The 370z has a similar issue super easily fixed with proper pads and fluid. They were made for the street not the track
Fluid boiled in the second lap :lolol: , his first time on a track no less. I'm sure it would be OK with better fluid/pads. BUT most stuff could be taken out by a novice and be fine from the fucktory.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am
D Griff wrote:

Maxxis VR1 for you. PSS/ECS get torn up quickly on a dry track.
I'll check these out next time... I was a bit dismayed looking at my :225: at the end of the day. The grip was great though.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:58 am Maxxis VR1 for you. PSS/ECS get torn up quickly on a dry track.
I'll check these out next time... I was a bit dismayed looking at my :225: at the end of the day. The grip was great though.
Max out your camber and minimize your toe, that'll help a lot with wear (and cornering) in the meantime. I assume you're killing the front outside shoulders?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:23 am
D Griff wrote:
Max out your camber and minimize your toe, that'll help a lot with wear (and cornering) in the meantime. I assume you're killing the front outside shoulders?
Yeah, I definitely also need to rotate the two front tires before taking it to CMP again. Also need to get it inspected before going again, so I can at least keep these through "winter". I need to check my alignment specs :doe: , I had it done by this C6 racer bro who added camber over factory.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:07 am This is why I run small 17s. $600/set for the best stuff.
17s are nice. Good compromise size for all around use. I don't understand the current trend to 19-22 or whatever giant dick sized wheels. Look up carfox history reports on used BMWs and you'll see single tire replaced, tire repaired, wheel replaced, etc from potholes and whatnot. Really common. And :waxer: to do on a regular basis.

My 18s are even overkill for street use. The car rides better on 17s, they weigh a lot less, and with good stiff sidewall tires will handle as well.
Couldn't agree more. 17's are the sweet spot.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.