Car talk tré: Carpocalypse Now!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Used. Not buying a new appliance like that. $14k ish gets you a well cared for one with like 60-80k on it. :notbad:
These vehicles are disposable, 80-100k will require headgaskets, no thanks. They lease for $200 a month.
I’m not going down this road. Because it ends at assuming lease payments on an M3. A budget is a budget.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 pm

These vehicles are disposable, 80-100k will require headgaskets, no thanks. They lease for $200 a month.
I’m not going down this road. Because it ends at assuming lease payments on an M3. A budget is a budget.
You can't afford $200 a month? The cost of ownershit is subsidized by OEMs. The current offer here is $1999 and $240 a month. If you can't afford that bus passes start at around $80 a month. This is as cheap as car ownershit will ever get. The cost to own an older subaru purchased for 14-15k for 2-3 years will be same or more, and you'll have to deal with repairing it.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Hey, let me lease a car that I take on a 8k mile road trip... granted he doesn’t have a commute now, but what if the new gig when he gets back means s 50 mile commute... pretty quickly blown through the mileage.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm Hey, let me lease a car that I take on a 8k mile road trip... granted he doesn’t have a commute now, but what if the new gig when he gets back means s 50 mile commute... pretty quickly blown through the mileage.
He can turn it in early and buy a POS to commute in then. Paying through the ass for an unknown scenario is not optimizing your hard earned money.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

In other news, the GTI hit 30k miles today. Lifetime fuel economy is 30.6 MPG. 3 oil changes, a set of winter tires and a steering rack under warranty.

18 months of ownership... of which 6 weeks was in a loaner for the rack and 3 months driving the mini.

Usually the :plac: starts setting in by now.

I love the car. It’s quiet, decently quick, comfortable, fun and nimble. I miss my :truk: like crazy, and if I could realistically daily a Tacoma and not get crushed with fuel costs I would, but there’s not another 100 mile/day enthusiast type commuter I could remotely consider. If this thing was totaled or stolen, I would absolutely replace it with the same thing (if only they had a Sport model anymore)... the first car I’ve ever owned I could say that with.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:54 pm Hey, let me lease a car that I take on a 8k mile road trip... granted he doesn’t have a commute now, but what if the new gig when he gets back means s 50 mile commute... pretty quickly blown through the mileage.
He can turn it in early and buy a POS to commute in then. Paying through the ass for an unknown scenario is not optimizing your hard earned money.
Turning it in early requires paying out any remaining lease payments though... pull ahead/early termination deals usually require the finance/lease of another vehicle through the bank.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Turning it in early requires paying out any remaining lease payments though... pull ahead/early termination deals usually require the finance/lease of another vehicle through the bank.
You can turn it in early into any carmax, that's not a problem at all. Same shit you would go through if you were to buy a car and try and sell it before you pay it off, difference is you haven't paid sales tax on the entire vehicle on the flipside there is a $350 fee for lease end or whatever.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm In other news, the GTI hit 30k miles today. Lifetime fuel economy is 30.6 MPG. 3 oil changes, a set of winter tires and a steering rack under warranty.

18 months of ownership... of which 6 weeks was in a loaner for the rack and 3 months driving the mini.

I love the car. It’s quiet, decently quick, comfortable, fun and nimble. I miss my :truk: like crazy, and if I could realistically daily a Tacoma and not get crushed with fuel costs I would, but there’s not another 100 mile/day enthusiast type commuter I could remotely consider. If this thing was totaled or stolen, I would absolutely replace it with the same thing (if only they had a Sport model anymore)... the first car I’ve ever owned I could say that with.
How essepensive can it possibly be ? 18-19mpg in a taco vs 30 mpg in an egg, and the egg requires premium...
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm In other news, the GTI hit 30k miles today. Lifetime fuel economy is 30.6 MPG. 3 oil changes, a set of winter tires and a steering rack under warranty.

:jelly: of your MPGeez. I take it you do 10k changes? I'll probably start after this change Saturday.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:06 pm

How essepensive can it possibly be ? 18-19mpg in a taco vs 30 mpg in an egg, and the egg requires premium...
Mainly the difference between a $24k GTI and a $38k taco.

The GTI calls for regular fuel. I do put premium in it, as there’s a noticeable 2+MPG difference on my commute.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:02 pm

You can turn it in early into any carmax, that's not a problem at all. Same shit you would go through if you were to buy a car and try and sell it before you pay it off, difference is you haven't paid sales tax on the entire vehicle on the flipside there is a $350 fee for lease end or whatever.
It’s a problem when you don’t get what you owe... Carmax give you low market value for the car. If he buys it, drives it a ton and turns it in early, he can still be upside down. Trading in a lease early is generally remaining payments plus residual, plus disposition, plus any other penalties a bank may impose.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:05 pm

It’s a problem when you don’t get what you owe... Carmax give you low market value for the car. If he buys it, drives it a ton and turns it in early, he can still be upside down. Trading in a lease early is generally remaining payments plus residual, plus disposition, plus any other penalties a bank may impose.
Right, no different than owning, minus the $350 dispo fee and far superior from tying up 20k of your own cash in a car you don’t want anymore.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm

:jelly: of your MPGeez. I take it you do 10k changes? I'll probably start after this change Saturday.
10k mile LOF intervals with OEM oil and filter.

Drive is 46 miles one way, with 38 miles of 80mph interstate and 8 back roads.

Stock Pirelli P7 tires were garbage after 24k miles, down to 4/32”. Brakes are still 10/32”. The only other issue I have (besides cosmetic issues from highway road rash) is a rattle in the rear doors from the speakers. Other than the rack, it’s otherwise been perfect.
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:06 pm

The GTI calls for regular fuel. I do put premium in it, as there’s a noticeable 2+MPG difference on my commute.
:impressive: on the regular, also what gti is 24k?
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:04 pm

The 2017 Sport 6MT in Night Blue Metallic that’s sitting in my driveway?
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm

:neat:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

At my firiends detail shop last night I got to checkout a new GT350R.

There's no damned way that exhaust will be compliant with the CA law.

Made my 991.2 sound silent when I drove home. Other than the burble it is too damned quiet and I need to fix that soon.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm At my firiends detail shop last night I got to checkout a new GT350R.

Made my 991.2 sound silent when I drove home. Other than the burble it is too damned quiet and I need to fix that soon.
Please run far far away from anything Fabspeed.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:48 pm At my firiends detail shop last night I got to checkout a new GT350R.

Noted.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:51 pm

Stock Pirelli P7 tires were garbage after 24k miles, down to 4/32”. Brakes are still 10/32”. The only other issue I have (besides cosmetic issues from highway road rash) is a rattle in the rear doors from the speakers. Other than the rack, it’s otherwise been perfect.
What'd you replace them with? Gonna get some new ramz with summers?

Your rear brakes will likely need to be changed first. I did them at around 50k. Fronts still had plenty of life left. At least on the Mk6 it was that way.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:20 pm

MSRP was 30,545. When I bought mine VW was throwing $4k in dealer cash, and I ended up with another $2400 off, which was $500 under invoice. Also scored 0.9% APR for 72 months.

At the end of MY 17, dealer cash hit $5k plus dealer discount as they blew out the remaining pre-facelift cars.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:16 pm

What'd you replace them with? Gonna get some new ramz with summers?

Your rear brakes will likely need to be changed first. I did them at around 50k. Fronts still had plenty of life left. At least on the Mk6 it was that way.
I reused my sparco wheels from the mini (same bolt pattern) and bought a cheap set of hankook winter I-Cept tires for $240 on Black Friday.

I’ll likely end up with some Firestone Indy 500s for cheap, or if I have a good sales month may splurge for some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:51 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:50 pm

Noted.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1040378 ... -list.html
max225

fledonfoot wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:55 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:21 pm

MSRP was 30,545. When I bought mine VW was throwing $4k in dealer cash, and I ended up with another $2400 off, which was $500 under invoice. Also scored 0.9% APR for 72 months.

At the end of MY 17, dealer cash hit $5k plus dealer discount as they blew out the remaining pre-facelift cars.
That is a really killer deal! :like:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Only DFD would recommend leasing a brand new car for a 14k mike road trip spanning 3 months which requires quitting your job.